User Reviews for Lamictal

Learn more about Lamictal.

Seizure Prevention 26 reviews 34 medications

8.8
Summary of Lamictal reviews 234 reviews 8.5

Reviews for Lamictal

Review by insanelyquierd (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: I wasn't on this long enough to see anything positive, because it made me lethargic, gave me headaches, body aches, and completely sunk my libido. Two other people I know who went on Lamictal around same time as me also had their libidos die.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 10, 2014 3:33 PM
Review by brenndo (taken for 5 to 10 years): User Rating:

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: I have been on and off this medication for nearly 10 years and it has been generally helpful most of the time. It takes a long time to titrate up, and the there is a very specific dose that is different for everybody, but once you get it right, the medication is remarkably helpful. In my experience, it all but eradicates Bipolar Depression and it reduces the severity of Bipolar Mania. Don't worry so much about the rash if you're a hypochondriac like me. "The Rash" most likely would only be limited to mucus membranes around the eyes, nose, mouth and genitals. One thing I should add: over time, the medications seems to lose effectiveness and if you frequently discontinue, this effect is exacerbated. Eventually I had to add lithium.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 8, 2014 1:31 PM
Review by Beautiful_Jewelia: User Rating:

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: I was on so many medicines, hoping from doctor to doctor until I found a neuropsychiatrist who took me off all that gunk and had me try Lamictal. While I am not cured, I most certainly am far more functional with my highs and lows being far less extreme. I also take Prozac to make sure that Lamictal alone won't make me hypomanic. I become that way if on Lamictal alone. I have been on these two medicines for many years. This is the first time ever anything has worked, worked reasonably well and this long!

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 5, 2014 12:56 AM
Review by tenover: User Rating:

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: Great medicine for cyclothymia/rapid cycling ever and I mean ever-been on 175mg per day 1x for 5 years-literally saved my life. Also if you're prescribed this absolutely have your pharmacist fill with brand only.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 26, 2014 8:43 PM
Review by Zenimia10 (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: I was put on Lamictal about 8 months ago. This medicine will not let my thoughts spiral down even if I wanted them too.

March 14, 2014 7:27 AM
Review by Ann1975 (taken for 10 years or more): User Rating:

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: I have been taking Lamictal/lamotrigine for over 10 years now to help treat my bipolar 2. I think the fact that 10+ years later and after trying other meds during my hard times I always come back to this one. Life does have ways of kicking me and those times are when other meds have been added or tried, but I always end up on Lamictal regardless.

March 13, 2014 12:50 AM
Review by soulshine95: User Rating:

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: I have since I was very young displayed what I know now as Type I Bipolor disorder. Probably one of the worst feeling in the world is to have emotions ebb in and out like tall crashing waves. Then the sun comes out and the water is calm. Then a couple days later here comes the storm. It is the worst feeling to think there is nothing that will help. I felt that way.....time after time different meds. Abilify to be one exact example led me to have Hypothyroidism. A condition I have to have meds for the rest of my life. I have after trying many different meds for depression to find only one medicine I would suggest and that is Lamictal. If you are compatible with this medication it will help the mood swings a great deal.

March 8, 2014 1:11 AM
Review by Mom off the roller coaster: User Rating:

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: This is the first medicine that has helped my 14 year old daughter. She has tried Prozac, zoloft, vyvanse, pristiq and some help from Wellbutrin. She has not been accurately diagnosed. Many different professionals have suggested dysthymia, anxiety, ADHD, borderline personality disorder, MDD and bipolar II. She has been hospitalized 3 times. The last time she got out of the hospital, I asked if we could try a mood stabilizer. Lamictal was the doctors first choice. We slowly titrated up to 200 (it took 3 months), but it was well worth the wait. No side affects. No more roller coaster rides. Most importantly, my daughter has an understanding of what can trigger her moods and has the clarity to learn more about herself.

February 17, 2014 9:26 PM
Review by Luetta: User Rating:

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: I have Bipolar 2. I was diagnosed in 2009 but had suspicions long beforehand. So was put on Prozac, Abilify. While I notice Prozac helping, especially when I don't have any and I begin having withdrawal, I've found that Lamictal really does the job! It's very subtle, maybe because I'm on a very low dosage. Yet, I notice it. I'm more calmer. Not calm completely, just calMER.

January 23, 2014 11:38 AM
Review by Heather.80: User Rating:

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: I have been taking 300mg of Lamotrigine each day for about 3 years. When I first took it, it made me feel sick and anxious and gave me headaches, but after following some simple advice from my psychiatrist I now DONT GET ANY SIDE EFFECTS AT ALL!! He told me to increase the dose slowly (25mg per week) and to always eat when I take the tablets. I've found this medication very effective as an antidepressant but not effective at controlling mania / hypomania. Despite this, I still rate it very highly because it is so much more bearable than any other psychiatric medication that I've taken in the past.

January 13, 2014 9:51 AM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: Saved my life after trying various antidepressants with no results. Felt dizzy and nauseaus the first weeks, but noticed improvements in mood within days.

January 5, 2014 4:24 PM
Review by CrackerMan21 (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: This is the best psych med option I've ever had. Over a six-year period, I had been prescribed a myriad of medicines for bipolar mania and depression, including: Abilify, Wellbutrin, Zyprexa, Celexa, Prozac, Lithium, Geodon, and Tegretol. Lamictal has been a Godsend. Lamictal has not been associated with weight gain nor diabetes (I have type 2, but was diagnosed prior to my prescription). All psych medicines have side effects, and finding the most benign one can be maddening, and even life-threatening, in my case. Give this one, at least a shot.

December 12, 2013 7:18 AM
Review by leeenaa: User Rating:

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: It seems to be helping, but still some depression remains. I have Bipolar Type 1, so I have struggled with mania, hypomania, mixed mood, and depression. I do notice I'm more "even," which is what the medicine intends to do. I take a combination of meds, so it could be difficult to tell which medicine is doing what. All I know is that I have no side effects, which is good, because I requested a mood stabilizer that will not make me gain weight. Overall, I'm satisfied with the way things are going (thank goodness, because Bipolar could be hell).

December 3, 2013 10:20 PM
Review by jenifer nay: User Rating:

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Seizure Prevention: With Lamictal and Keppra my seizures are currently controlled.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
December 2, 2013 9:29 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: Lamictal has been working pretty good so far. My only complaint is lately depression is creeping up on me, but this could be just part of the "winter blues." On Lamictal, I am not emotionless; it just helps with the dramatic mood swings (I have Bipolar type 1). I was given Lamictal as an option due to the fact that I requested a medicine that will not make me gain weight. As I was told, I do notice Lamictal seems to be weight-neutral, which is a good thing. I haven't been on Lamictal more than a few months yet, but I am hoping it continues doing its job.

December 1, 2013 9:47 PM
Review by WhiteRook (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Seizure Prevention: I can judge this medication being successful due to fewer holes in my drywall and fewer injuries. I can't usually remember my seizures so I base them on others input and injuries from thrashing. I take 250mg, which seems to have cut down incidents to almost zero - major gratitude there.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
November 29, 2013 4:31 PM
Review by genny1: User Rating:

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Seizure Prevention: I've been taking Lamictal for 3 years now. I haven't had a grand mal seizure since then. I was having seizures in my sleep and still think I do every once in a while but none during the day. I am lucky that I do feel a seizure coming on. The only problem is I'm very unbalanced and it's easy for me to trip. I also feel like I'm in a fog sometimes and my cognitive abilities like thinking clearly, number and word recall and multitasking is very affected.

November 26, 2013 2:14 AM
Review by Maymay 77 Sue: User Rating:

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: I started Lamictal about a year ago. Nothing else worked, the medicines made me tired and sometimes worse. My family noticed a huge change in my moods and I don't nearly get angry at all. This medication is awesome! I take 400mg a day now, but I was pretty bad! I thought I was better once and stopped taking it and oh boy my family was like get back on your meds! I will never stop taking this medication again! My son has bipolar as well, I am going to ask doctor to try him on it as well! Only side effect is dry mouth.

November 21, 2013 3:09 PM
Review by diver girl (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: My experience has been terrible. I am 42 and an educated woman who works in a high capacity job and I can't function. I have been to the emergency room twice for disorientation and garbled writing/texts. I have had several falls or balance issues, one fall caused a concussion, now I walk with a cane on occasions. I constantly forget things, events, appointments and more. I finally had to go out on medical leave. I am in the process of discontinuing all psych meds as they are ruining my life!!!

November 12, 2013 11:17 AM
Review by Pops2: User Rating:

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: I have taken lamotrigine for about 5 weeks. I tapered from nefazodone to lamotrigine over the course of 3 weeks. I am currently at 100 mg of lamotrigine. I was feeling better than I have ever felt in my entire life for about 2 weeks, now I am back to where I was before. No, I was not feeling manic during those 2 weeks but I felt that my anxiety had been greatly reduced and I had a true appreciation for life. I feel a bit cheated that I got to feel normal for once in my life and then poof it is gone. I kind of knew that it was too good to be true or to last. Oh well

November 12, 2013 10:31 AM
Review by diver girl (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

November 12, 2013 6:06 AM
Review by TONYA438 (taken for 5 to 10 years): User Rating:

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: I have tried and failed every medication out there!! I just could not tolerate the side effects and weight gain. I came very close to suicide and I finally got on lamictal. What a difference!! I am finally not having the mania keeping me up for days and the severe depression of constantly writing suicide letters. I am also on klonopin. I had to go off my meds during my pregnancy and my husband said " I will never get you pregnant again!!!" That is how much better I am on the medication. My dose is 300 mg. split twice daily. I had gastric bypass as well and I am tolerating it the same as I was before. I have been on Lamictal for 8 years.I wanted to share my experience so that I might touch someones' life and make a difference!

93 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
November 10, 2013 6:50 AM
Review by n810 (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: This is a very good medication IMO. When you titrate up to the dose intended, you will notice subtle differences. Many times I have thought that this had flattened me out but when I backed off the dose, symptoms came roaring back. No noticeable side effects for me. Helps stability very well, maybe the cause of some anxiety not much tho.

October 28, 2013 12:45 PM
Review by Raychl (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Lamictal (lamotrigine): Day 3 no dramatic mood swings so far. My back hurts pretty bad but not intolerable we will see how this goes

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
October 26, 2013 4:23 PM
Review by Shannon Leigh (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: I was diagnosed bipolar after suffering a mental breakdown in college which left me institutionalized used for 2 weeks. Before my therapist prescribed me lamictal (100mg) and Klonopin (.05mg) I was a total mess. lamictal truly saved my life. It helps me act less irrationally and impulsively, hold a job for longer than 6mons, maintain healthy relationships with loved ones, I feel more focused and driven. I have had no negative side effects.

66 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
October 26, 2013 8:10 AM