User Reviews for Vimpat

Learn more about Vimpat.

Vimpat review summary

6.8/10 Average Rating

Compare all 69 medications used in the treatment of Seizures.

Reviews for Vimpat to treat Seizures

Review by kcruser:

Vimpat is wonderful, in that it has stopped my seizures for the past two years. I am also on Carbatrol. Short-term memory loss I can live with, but my main concern is dizziness. I can't find the combination of times to take it/foods to take it with. It seems like I find a combination that works for three or four days, then I'm so dizzy I cannot stand up. Very frustrating.

September 12, 2014 10:26 AM

Review by Cora D (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I had been on Keppra, and Vimpat 100mg twice a day, and it controlled my seizures well for about a year. I then started having seizures, Then the doctors increased the dosage to 175mg twice a day, and Keppra EX 1500 mg at bed time. I became like a zombie, dizzy, fell twice and bruised my head. I attributed the symptoms, to Overdose of Vimpat at one time. I started cutting the Vimpat pills 175mg in half, and spacing them six hours apart and now I am active, no dizziness, no falling. So far, I have not had my hair fall out as others have reported. I called the doctors to tell him the above, but he's on vacation, I can't find anything on cutting the pills, and spreading the dosage as I have done.

August 18, 2014 4:22 PM

Review by Karen1981ny (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I have been on Vimpat for 2 months now. Like many others, I have been on just about everything! After a week on the Vimpat I was no longer having partial seizures but after about a month, reaching my titrated level of 200mg twice a day. I started noticing weight gain, numbness in my mouth and throat, almost a numb feeling on my skin and a weird overall feeling, all these side effects ended after about a 1/2 hour. It is great to not have the seizures each day and to only be on one medicine while my doctor keeps reassuring me that they will fade with time. I just hope they do because I have to make sure I do not have anything I need to do after taking my dose. I had to fight like crazy for my insurance to cover the medication at $1954/ month.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 11, 2014 12:43 PM

Review by tutor-girl (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I was on a Depakote, Tegretol and Topiramate cocktail of 12 pills a day. I was not controlled. I even had the VNS implanted in my chest. I switched doctors, and he placed me on Vimpat and Topiramate. Not only am I seizure- free, but I lost 10 lbs. to boot. However, not all good news; hair falling out and tingling in my hands in feet, but I am only on 6 pills a day now.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 4, 2014 2:44 PM

Review by Princess Nini (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I have had all kinds of seizures and taken just about every medicine over the last 25 years. Now I take only Vimpat. Seizure free for over 2 years. Yes, I still have memory issues and meds make me sleepy for about 30 minutes but I could never stay on my medicines because I work. I currently take meds daily and work about 45-50 hours per week! Vimpat has greatly improved the quality of my life.

June 30, 2014 7:47 PM

Review by Vannahgrace:

I have been on Vimpat for 2 months for seizures and at first it seemed like it was great because my seizures went almost completely away for the first 3 weeks, but then it seemed like they were coming back but not as bad, so I just increased it to 100mgs twice a day. Seems to be working pretty good so far. The problem I'm having with it is that my hair is falling out terribly and I can't remember anything! It's crazy! Just simple stuff that I know just slips my mind. It's very aggravating but rather not have seizures.

April 9, 2014 11:31 PM

Review by Rnewon (taken for less than 1 month):

My seizures changed to Partial onset seizures. I can't remember what happened 5 minutes ago, but my seizures have subsided. I'm also weening off of Keppra it made me impossible to live with. I also want to sleep a lot.

April 9, 2014 9:41 PM

I'm allergic to it

March 20, 2014 8:37 AM

Review by nikkinae (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Vimpat is the only medication I have taken for partial simple seizure. I had never had a seizure until I had a car wreck. Did not have seizure until 4 days after wreck. Many other anti seizure medicines would interfere with my immunosuppressants. I only take 25mg twice a day but makes me tired and forgetful. No more seizure in over a year though.

March 13, 2014 2:12 PM

Review by Epylist:

Have been on Vimpat for about 4 months now and am now starting to understand the side effects thanks primarily to these reviews. Previously on Dilantin for >10 years for complex-partial seizures. The positive of using this mediicne is I have a marked improvement in my gums. The Negative side effects are as follows: Poor memory/word recall/digging Short term memory impairment/can't remember what just doing and wanted to do next. Loss of the ability to focus and concentrate/easily distracted. Might not be entirely Vimpat related. Depression/emptiness/out-of-options feeling Burning feet/ MD. suggested it could be Vimpat related. Some loss of taste, Impaired ejaculation. Hope this helps. Might consider going back to Dilantin. Good first time medicine.

February 26, 2014 9:48 AM

Review by mwo (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I've been having seizures for the last two years, after being free from seizures for 5 years after temporal lobe surgery. I've had a seizure about every three months. Each seizure was worse then the previous one. Last year when I fell complications caused kidney failure. This has passed. I was on Lamictal and Keppra was added, and both were increased, without any change in seizures. 4 months ago I was taken off Keppra and Vimpat was added. 600 Lamictal/400 Vimpat. It is a strong medicine, in the morning I got very dizzy and unbalanced with double vision. I complained and my dose was split up 3x a day and I feel much better. 4 months free of seizures now, I'm simply waiting for the next seizure, hoping not.

February 15, 2014 6:20 PM

Review by Ky's Mom:

This has been the better of the 10 others we have been on with our young son. I will say that he has recently developed leg and lower back pain along with more frequent migraines and hair loss and a horrible rash on arms in legs. Also, some weight and memory loss along with some crying fits. But like I said, sadly this was the least side effects of all the ones we have been on. Topamax was the worst, it trashed his insides and turned my sweet child into a crying, crazy, cursing lunatic! Would love to know if anyone has had luck with less side effects on any other anti-epileptic meds. He goes several weeks so far without any seizures on Vimpat so far.

January 16, 2014 4:40 PM

Review by jessicashay:

I have had grand-mal seizures since age of 15. Around 32 I started having partial seizures only I didn't know that's what they were till I read a pamphlet in my Drs office. They put me on Vimpat, which at first did not help with the dizziness I was already feeling from the partial seizures, but after about a year now the dizziness has definitely slowed and I only have partial seizures when I'm overly, overwhelmed, or stressed. It doesn't help with my grand-mal seizures which I have at least 1-2 every month. I have noticed weight gain, and memory loss which I had before the medication, and hair loss, and tingling in my limbs, but if I drink more water it helps with the tingling. As for the hair loss I take biotin and that has helped.

January 13, 2014 12:18 PM

Review by Silver-Tongue:

I take Tegretol and I have been on Vimpat now for over a year. At first I still had seizures but they were completely different to the ones I had before, I used to jump and scream, now I become an ironing board then kick legs. After a few months they stopped completely, I had never felt better, it was the first time in 25 years I had been free, but the last couple of months they have returned and I have never felt worse. Side effects: extremely emotional [which is at the other end of the scale from Vigabatrin which made me a nutter] depression, memory loss, stuttering and significant weight gain. I am much better on them than without, but as far as stopping my seizures it was short lived

August 31, 2013 12:05 PM

Review by Who? (taken for less than 1 month):

Vimpat introduced 4 days ago at 50mg on top of Topamax (to be fazed out) and Tegretol. So far awful. Side effects are depression, lower back pain, mood is low, irritable, sad, day dreamy, tired, anxious. I don't feel like me anymore.

August 24, 2013 5:16 AM

Review by unknown2013 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I drank all kinds of medications like Trileptal, Lamictal now I am on 3000 Keppra and still had seizures, but my doctor said don't do surgery I will give you Vimpat. 10% out 100 people took this and it helped. He was right I still had episodes even with 200mg Vimpat but it simply went away for about 6 months now. It does give you loss of hair and feeling depressed but also an important thing to do is watch what you eat.

August 3, 2013 9:49 PM

Review by sad neice (taken for 1 to 6 months):

My uncle has had epilepsy since he was 18. He is now 60. He was on Dilanton up until 4 years ago when he was put on Depakote after a 45 minute seizure. Then no more until February. Then he started having seizures once a week. The doctor added Keppra. The seizures kept happening every couple weeks so the doctor sent him to a neurologist which maxed out the doses of both pills. Last month he had 4 lengthy seizures within 2 hour time period. That's when the doctor added Vimpat. As of today he has not had a seizure but the doc wants to up the Vimpat again. Since he has been on it he has had horrible memory loss.

July 23, 2013 10:19 PM

Review by His Mom (taken for 2 to 5 years):

My 14 yr old son has been on Vimpat coupled with Keppra and although it is not recommended for children, it has given me peace of mind. He has been seizure free for over two years. Side effects appear to be minimal, he does have short term memory loss, like walking into the kitchen and forgetting why he came in there. He especially forgets chores, but I don't know if it's because of the medicine or because he is just a typical lazy teenager.

July 10, 2013 6:08 PM

Review by ngp:

I have been on Keppra for a year and just started Vimpat 6 wks ago. The Vimpat seems to have controlled my simple partial seizures however, I have noticed the side effects are troublesome. Some of the side effects are shakes, depression, anxiety, mood swings, dizziness, but the most troublesome is the effect it has on my memory. It feels like I can't find my words or I've forgotten information I should know. I'm 50 years of age and have tried many different types of medication in the past 43 years for seizure control and Vimpat is working however the side effects on memory is affecting my job performance.

58 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 24, 2013 11:21 AM

Review by Caz f:

I had surgery in Jan 2013 to remove the right temporal lobe. My epilepsy changed altogether, I was just having daily partials but conscious when they happened. However after surgery things were really bad in terms of the quantity of seizures I was having. They were every 15 minutes!! Anyway I've now been on Vimpat for about 6 weeks and have noticed a huge improvement. I have gone from 40 partials to around 2-3 per day and so far no complex partials! However when I increased my last dose to 100mg twice a day, my heart was racing at 128 so had to reduce back to 50mg twice daily. I have noticed I am constantly itching and my memory is really bad. I'm not sure if this is because of the surgery or the Vimpat. I go back to work soon so really concerned.

April 19, 2013 9:14 AM

Review by Catch22A (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I was on Keppra (500 mg/day) since Jan 2010, due to grand mal seizures from a brain tumor. No more seizures until Jan 2013, then another one. They added Vimpat (50 mg, 3/x day) & upped the Keppra (to 750 mg/day). I know the side effects are due to Vimpat- I never had them before, even on higher doses of Keppra. Extremely itchy skin- itching at my face and scalp constantly. Severe dizziness the 1st month, but that went away as I've adjusted. My vision suddenly got bad; like blurred/double vision. My vision was always 20/20 before this. Constipation which I've never had, but that's okay. Overall irritation and snappy moods. Overall okay.

March 19, 2013 4:47 PM

Review by Losing Hair:

I will be 50 next week so the hair loss may be due to menopause although I am having no other signs of this (still have regular cycles, no hot flashes, etc.). And this came on so quickly; as soon as I started taking Vimpat so I feel there may be a connection. Started 400 mg in November and had terrible insomnia/tremors so I was cut back to 300. I did not have a reduction in the number of seizures (4 partial a month) but the severity has reduced greatly. However my hair is falling out at an unbelievable pace. I am so happy for the reduction in seizure severity I will buy a wig if needed. Just wanted to mention for anyone else who may be facing this as it is not a listed side effect. Also 8 lb weight loss and still a bit anxious.

February 8, 2013 10:51 PM

I am currently on 375mg Lamotrigine, and until recently, on 300mg Vimpat. My seizures reduced from one/month to one over a three month period, but still had frequent auras. My doctor increased my Vimpat to 400mg and I have not had a seizure in over 6 months and have had maybe only one aura. My seizures have started only in my sleep and it is a relief now to go to bed with out fearing that I will have a seizure. The only 'bad' side effect is the difficulty coming up with words. It's very irritating and does affect my job to some degree, but the tradeoff is worth it.

January 20, 2013 9:22 AM

Review by Guk:

So far so good but I am just on it 3 weeks and only side effect is being sick to my stomach shortly after taking it then that eases up. Hard to think sometimes and I take it along with Keppra. Keppra took away the absence seizures but still had a severe grand mal once a month. I am hoping this will take care of that!

November 17, 2012 1:30 PM

Review by uruubu (taken for 2 to 5 years):

All I can say for sure is that I have not had a full outflopping on the floor seizure in almost a year, since being put on Vimpat. If I happen to forget a dose, I get very twitchy by that afternoon. So, with Vimpat, no seizures. Without Vimpat, I seize! Works great for me!

October 22, 2012 11:47 PM