User Reviews for Lacosamide

Also known as: Vimpat

Learn more about Lacosamide.

Seizures 67 reviews 42 medications

6.7
Summary of Lacosamide reviews 67 reviews 6.7

Reviews for Lacosamide

Vimpat (lacosamide) for Seizures: "After the birth of my daughter my epilepsy came back full force. Just like it did when I was 15 years old in high school. I was extremely upset since my daughter was barely a month old and I was trying to figure out how to stay seizure free again. I started with Keppra 500mg. Then needed to raise it to 750mg for a year it was twice a day. Stress was a big factor that would set my seizures to join my life again. Started having seizures at work and ended up on keppra 1000mg twice a day. Still could not get the seizures to stop. Wean off the keppra and to vimpat 100mg twice a day. So much better but feel like I am not all the way recovered after all I went through. Did have weight gain and hair loss but way better than keppra for me"

Nessieazv January 16, 2016

Vimpat (lacosamide) for Seizures: "While on this drug, I could not look at something without it moving. I felt a severe pain behind my eyes and no longer was able to sleep. I was put on this medication where they use it for patients with seizures more than any other drug. It was honestly a horrible experience, I would rather have seizures than be on this to be 100% honest with all of you. Really awful, do not let your doctors push this crap on you, I promise it is not worth it!"

Rachel SK January 16, 2016

Vimpat (lacosamide) for Seizures: "Vimpat worked great, Only med that has been able to control my seizures. Neurologist had to adjust dosage too much at each dosing made me dizzy. I was on 600mg 2x daily, but had to switch to 600 mg 3x daily. It is very expensive w/o insurance. But I couldn't ask for any other med. This is the ONLY MED that has controlled my seizures. 2 years seizure free."

dino05 January 7, 2016

Vimpat (lacosamide) for Seizures: "Vimpat made me see double of everything after first week I took. Very bad feeling did not help my seizures well. Only down by 50%. And felt at night restless in legs. Dizziness when walking in daytime. Not take anymore feel better. Now take topamax and I find it much better"

Bjorg T (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 16, 2015

Vimpat (lacosamide) for Seizures: "I have partial complex seizures. I also take tegretol XR and Diamox. Before Vimpat I was a seizure at least 3-5 times a month, especially after my menstruation. But I can say with the vimpat I don't have seizures, I will a little jump here and there but nothing major. The major side effects I have experience are the following: weight gain (about 50 pounds), dizzy when I intially take it if I don't eat enough food, and sometimes my words and thoughts would be off. lately I notice that I fall a lot but I don't know if its related or the vimpat. But I can say it has controlled my seizues. It didn't increase my appetite but I have gained a lot of weight, my Dr say its normal with Vimpat. I receive Vimpat for free with the patient assitance."

Nikki0723 (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 8, 2015

Vimpat (lacosamide) for Seizures: "Vimpat severely increased my seizure activity. I took lamictal for 15 years by itself and it was extrememly effective until after childbirth. I developed a rash after a 50mg increase to try and cover the auras I was having. So, because of "the rash", I had to stop taking lamictal altogether. I started Vimpat before they weaned me off lamictal and I was having seizures daily, sometimes twice. As I weaned off the lamictal, the seizures continued and then I became aggressive. A side effect of Vimpat is mental alertness. Caffiene is a trigger for me so it was almost as Vimpat was the equivalent of drinking several energy drinks. I can't take Vimpat"

scrappy13 (taken for less than 1 month) November 21, 2015

Vimpat (lacosamide) for Seizures: "I have nocturnal epilepsy, since I was very young maybe 5 will say I've had it, I've been on all the drugs you could say nearly threw primary school to high school they made me sick and unable to function everyday spewing etc so at about 16 I said stuff it I'm not taking any at all I'll deal with it, so recently this year I started on Vimpat and OMG it's a lifesaver for me!! So awake and switched on my partner says I hardly ever daydream he says he hasn't felt me or seen me having seizures at all!! Yes I feel out of it still but that's just me if I feel more awake I'm happy I haven't had any of the symptoms people say but maybe headaches and my dreams are very vivid and I get nightmares but it's just like watching movies each night I guess LOL"

EMMIIpurp (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 5, 2015

Vimpat (lacosamide) for Seizures: "I'm 25 and a little over 1 year ago I had my first seizure, grand mal. I had no warnings or auras and I fell and hit my head; leading to me being in a coma for 3 days. I started on Dilantan 100mg twice a day. I started having loss of coordination, slurred speech so I was switched over to Lamotrigine and was taking 25mg twice a day. That seemed to work nicely for about 4 months when I got up to 150mg twice a day. One morning I woke up with this giant nasty rash on the side of my neck and down the right side of my side and stomach. It was an allergic reaction. I'm now on vimpat 150mg twice a day. Only side effects I have with the Vimpat is I have serious issues trying to sleep, unexplained noise in my ears. However, I'm still having seizures!"

Maxwell1990 October 23, 2015

Vimpat (lacosamide) for Seizures: "I was initially given 75mg twice a day for a seizure related toa brain tumor. The tumor was removed. I started radiation and chemo 1 month later on the same dose for another month. I went to a neurologist because I was told he would prescribe any Meds for anti seizure. Well he doubled the dose for 2 weeks then tripled it. Now I'm totally useless. They won't tell me why they tripled the dose only that I COULD have another seizure and that doctor was responsible. I'm not understanding why, if I had absolutely no symptoms why he would do this"

Vimbat (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 1, 2015

Vimpat (lacosamide) for Seizures: "I take Vimpat 200 mg in the morning and at night. I have been on it for the past 7 years, but recently I have had severe vertigo to where the room felt like it was spinning, and I would end up sick for hours. I have to take a pill for dizziness it's gotten so bad. I think it's time for a change. I'm just scared to change because I have Grand Mal seizure, and I am severely allergic to Lamictal and Dilantin, don't know what to do next. I take Depakote 500 mg ER in the morning and at night and 250 mg ER at night. But I need that extra med at night to keep my seizure at bay."

Crystawn (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 23, 2015

Vimpat (lacosamide) for Seizures: "I am 45 years old and had sudden onset of simple/complex seizures 3 years ago, 6-10 seizures a day. I was on Tegretol, Dilantin, ativan, 100 units of botox and celexa. I could not function function. Vomiting and sleeping. Progressed to grand mal. Went to Cleveland Clinic and they put me on Vimpat and Klonopin. I feel great despite one partial seizure a day. I have lost 8 pounds. I love it!"

jubers September 18, 2015

Vimpat (lacosamide) for Seizures: "Partial seizures, simple and complex, addition of vimpat combined with lamictal eliminated all episodes. But, vimpat is making me crazy. Sad. Emotional wreck, easily agitated, but hey . No seizures."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 18, 2015

Vimpat (lacosamide) for Seizures: "Does Vimpat seem to make anyone very,very forgetful ? I tend to explode verbally occasionally, in a negative way, and totally depressed. Sound any bit familiar? I'm on other meds but just seeing if anyone possibly noticed this from Vimpat. One other thing. I was working a lot of overtime both day and night and confused the amount of meds I was taking although I had them separated. Not good. Had terrible accident, was told the car rolled over 6 or 7 times. Thank god didn't involve any other cars or persons. Just drove off road. PLEASE take your meds as told to do so. Spine operation went well. GOD BLESS YOU , seat belt and air bags!!!"

Confused,not smart, Chris (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 31, 2015

Vimpat (lacosamide) for Seizures: "Been takeing dilantin for grand mal started getting partial and hangover headache everyday started vimpat clear head no headaches no p artials or headache side effects constipation and limited sleep ao take melatonin for sleep and colace ao far so good"

gizmo029 August 9, 2015

Vimpat (lacosamide) for Seizures: "Vimpat has been great for me!!!!!! No side affects, lower dosage than my Dilantin. So, can't say enough about it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Finally!!!!!!!!!! (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 29, 2015

Vimpat (lacosamide) for Seizures: "I have partial seizures. I take lithium and also take Valerian . The lithium worked fine. Now I just take Valerian. I do not think this would work for gran mal. I had vimpat pushed on me. I tried a free sample. Total garbage. In fact that's where I threw it out. Horrible drug.Felt like I was on LSD or some kind of mind frying drug.yuk.Makes me sick to think how I felt on it. I could not tolerate it AT ALL."

lisa mariejones July 23, 2015

Vimpat (lacosamide) for Seizures: "Awful drug. My hair thinned by at least 50%, my vision was blurry for hours after taking it, I was uncoordinated and constantly bruised from walking into walls and furniture. It did control my absence seizures but I'm on lamictal and klonopin now and much happier."

Katie_r May 6, 2015

Vimpat (lacosamide) for Seizures: "Vimpat is a cursed drug to me. Its helped with my seizures, but its not worth it for the side effects. I started it with Lamictal XR 500 mg. I had seizures at Vimpat 100 mg. At 200 mg, I was having extreme vertigo-- I couldn't even lay down. It happened a few times, along with other side effects. The doctor balanced it out at Lamictal XR 400 mg and Vimpat 150 mg. I have double-vision at least one a week (mild to high), nausea frequently, vomiting a few times a month, and sometimes off balance. A mild vertigo has happened a few times. If I don't eat it with a good amount of food, the side effects are almost guaranteed for me. It stops the seizures, but its not worth it."

TechStar (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 29, 2015

Vimpat (lacosamide) for Seizures: "Vimpat has been awesome at controlling my seizures. I was having multiple partial seizures a day and nocturnal grand mals every few months. However, I haven't had a seizure since I started taking Vimpat 6 years ago. I have experienced some of the same side effects others have mentioned; the dizziness/shaking, the sleepiness, the loss of my words/stuttering. I haven't experienced anything substantial with my hair or moods though, at least nothing that I can attribute to Vimpat alone. So all in all, it has worked well for me and the benefits outweigh the negative side effects."

KristineECU April 10, 2015

Vimpat (lacosamide) for Seizures: "I started on Lyrica for my Simple Partial/Partial Complex seizures 5 years ago (by a previous neuro) and even though Lyrica was far from my current neuro's first choice he decided to keep me on it. He immediately added Vimpat. For the next 8 months, I had continued frequent spontaneous seizures and he persisted saying we just had to find the right dosage of both. He'd change the dosage by 50mg increases, different times of day, etc.. 8 months of terrible short term memory, lethargy, and a rainbow of different types of seizures and as a last ditch effort he lowered my morning dosage by 50mg and I went from a zombie to ME again! 5 years and I had issues only when stressed or sensory over load. But now they are sneaking back again..."

laurenbookscardio (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 30, 2014

Vimpat (lacosamide) for Seizures: "I have had nocturnal seizures since the age of 7. I am now 35 years old I have been on every medication I can think of. I even had a VNS put in that did absolutely nothing for me. I have been in Vimpat for a year now is like my little blue magic pill add soon as I started it my seizures went away. I'm also on Carbamanzepine and phenobarbital I'm slowly weaning off of the phenobarbital. I have had weight gain but that is it , lately 2 nights if sleep loss but that could be due to some other changes. I've always had memory problems like going into a room and forgetting what I was getting so that Doesn't bother me at all to me this is a life saver. I have been seizure free for the longest time in my entire life."

milatocutie (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 18, 2014

Vimpat (lacosamide) for Seizures: "Vimpat is wonderful, in that it has stopped my seizures for the past two years. I am also on Carbatrol. Short-term memory loss I can live with, but my main concern is dizziness. I can't find the combination of times to take it/foods to take it with. It seems like I find a combination that works for three or four days, then I'm so dizzy I cannot stand up. Very frustrating."

kcruser September 12, 2014

Vimpat (lacosamide) for Seizures: "I had been on Keppra, and Vimpat 100mg twice a day, and it controlled my seizures well for about a year. I then started having seizures, Then the doctors increased the dosage to 175mg twice a day, and Keppra EX 1500 mg at bed time. I became like a zombie, dizzy, fell twice and bruised my head. I attributed the symptoms, to Overdose of Vimpat at one time. I started cutting the Vimpat pills 175mg in half, and spacing them six hours apart and now I am active, no dizziness, no falling. So far, I have not had my hair fall out as others have reported. I called the doctors to tell him the above, but he's on vacation, I can't find anything on cutting the pills, and spreading the dosage as I have done."

Cora D (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 18, 2014

Vimpat (lacosamide) for Seizures: "I have been on Vimpat for 2 months now. Like many others, I have been on just about everything! After a week on the Vimpat I was no longer having partial seizures but after about a month, reaching my titrated level of 200mg twice a day. I started noticing weight gain, numbness in my mouth and throat, almost a numb feeling on my skin and a weird overall feeling, all these side effects ended after about a 1/2 hour. It is great to not have the seizures each day and to only be on one medicine while my doctor keeps reassuring me that they will fade with time. I just hope they do because I have to make sure I do not have anything I need to do after taking my dose. I had to fight like crazy for my insurance to cover the medication at $1954/ month."

Karen1981ny (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 11, 2014

Vimpat (lacosamide) for Seizures: "I was on a Depakote, Tegretol and Topiramate cocktail of 12 pills a day. I was not controlled. I even had the VNS implanted in my chest. I switched doctors, and he placed me on Vimpat and Topiramate. Not only am I seizure- free, but I lost 10 lbs. to boot. However, not all good news; hair falling out and tingling in my hands in feet, but I am only on 6 pills a day now."

tutor-girl (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 4, 2014