User Reviews for Lacosamide

Also known as: Vimpat

Learn more about Lacosamide.

Seizures 55 reviews 40 medications

6.7
Summary of Lacosamide reviews 55 reviews 6.7

Reviews for Lacosamide

Vimpat (lacosamide) for Seizures: "Does Vimpat seem to make anyone very,very forgetful ? I tend to explode verbally occasionally, in a negative way, and totally depressed. Sound any bit familiar? I'm on other meds but just seeing if anyone possibly noticed this from Vimpat. One other thing. I was working a lot of overtime both day and night and confused the amount of meds I was taking although I had them separated. Not good. Had terrible accident, was told the car rolled over 6 or 7 times. Thank god didn't involve any other cars or persons. Just drove off road. PLEASE take your meds as told to do so. Spine operation went well. GOD BLESS YOU , seat belt and air bags!!!"

Confused,not smart, Chris (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 31, 2015

Vimpat (lacosamide) for Seizures: "Been takeing dilantin for grand mal started getting partial and hangover headache everyday started vimpat clear head no headaches no p artials or headache side effects constipation and limited sleep ao take melatonin for sleep and colace ao far so good"

gizmo029 August 9, 2015

Vimpat (lacosamide) for Seizures: "Vimpat has been great for me!!!!!! No side affects, lower dosage than my Dilantin. So, can't say enough about it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Finally!!!!!!!!!! (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 29, 2015

Vimpat (lacosamide) for Seizures: "I have partial seizures. I take lithium and also take Valerian . The lithium worked fine. Now I just take Valerian. I do not think this would work for gran mal. I had vimpat pushed on me. I tried a free sample. Total garbage. In fact that's where I threw it out. Horrible drug.Felt like I was on LSD or some kind of mind frying drug.yuk.Makes me sick to think how I felt on it. I could not tolerate it AT ALL."

lisa mariejones July 23, 2015

Vimpat (lacosamide) for Seizures: "Awful drug. My hair thinned by at least 50%, my vision was blurry for hours after taking it, I was uncoordinated and constantly bruised from walking into walls and furniture. It did control my absence seizures but I'm on lamictal and klonopin now and much happier."

Katie_r May 6, 2015

Vimpat (lacosamide) for Seizures: "Vimpat is a cursed drug to me. Its helped with my seizures, but its not worth it for the side effects. I started it with Lamictal XR 500 mg. I had seizures at Vimpat 100 mg. At 200 mg, I was having extreme vertigo-- I couldn't even lay down. It happened a few times, along with other side effects. The doctor balanced it out at Lamictal XR 400 mg and Vimpat 150 mg. I have double-vision at least one a week (mild to high), nausea frequently, vomiting a few times a month, and sometimes off balance. A mild vertigo has happened a few times. If I don't eat it with a good amount of food, the side effects are almost guaranteed for me. It stops the seizures, but its not worth it."

TechStar (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 29, 2015

Vimpat (lacosamide) for Seizures: "Vimpat has been awesome at controlling my seizures. I was having multiple partial seizures a day and nocturnal grand mals every few months. However, I haven't had a seizure since I started taking Vimpat 6 years ago. I have experienced some of the same side effects others have mentioned; the dizziness/shaking, the sleepiness, the loss of my words/stuttering. I haven't experienced anything substantial with my hair or moods though, at least nothing that I can attribute to Vimpat alone. So all in all, it has worked well for me and the benefits outweigh the negative side effects."

KristineECU April 10, 2015

Vimpat (lacosamide) for Seizures: "I started on Lyrica for my Simple Partial/Partial Complex seizures 5 years ago (by a previous neuro) and even though Lyrica was far from my current neuro's first choice he decided to keep me on it. He immediately added Vimpat. For the next 8 months, I had continued frequent spontaneous seizures and he persisted saying we just had to find the right dosage of both. He'd change the dosage by 50mg increases, different times of day, etc.. 8 months of terrible short term memory, lethargy, and a rainbow of different types of seizures and as a last ditch effort he lowered my morning dosage by 50mg and I went from a zombie to ME again! 5 years and I had issues only when stressed or sensory over load. But now they are sneaking back again..."

laurenbookscardio (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 30, 2014

Vimpat (lacosamide) for Seizures: "I have had nocturnal seizures since the age of 7. I am now 35 years old I have been on every medication I can think of. I even had a VNS put in that did absolutely nothing for me. I have been in Vimpat for a year now is like my little blue magic pill add soon as I started it my seizures went away. I'm also on Carbamanzepine and phenobarbital I'm slowly weaning off of the phenobarbital. I have had weight gain but that is it , lately 2 nights if sleep loss but that could be due to some other changes. I've always had memory problems like going into a room and forgetting what I was getting so that Doesn't bother me at all to me this is a life saver. I have been seizure free for the longest time in my entire life."

milatocutie (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 18, 2014

Vimpat (lacosamide) for Seizures: "Vimpat is wonderful, in that it has stopped my seizures for the past two years. I am also on Carbatrol. Short-term memory loss I can live with, but my main concern is dizziness. I can't find the combination of times to take it/foods to take it with. It seems like I find a combination that works for three or four days, then I'm so dizzy I cannot stand up. Very frustrating."

kcruser September 12, 2014

Vimpat (lacosamide) for Seizures: "I had been on Keppra, and Vimpat 100mg twice a day, and it controlled my seizures well for about a year. I then started having seizures, Then the doctors increased the dosage to 175mg twice a day, and Keppra EX 1500 mg at bed time. I became like a zombie, dizzy, fell twice and bruised my head. I attributed the symptoms, to Overdose of Vimpat at one time. I started cutting the Vimpat pills 175mg in half, and spacing them six hours apart and now I am active, no dizziness, no falling. So far, I have not had my hair fall out as others have reported. I called the doctors to tell him the above, but he's on vacation, I can't find anything on cutting the pills, and spreading the dosage as I have done."

Cora D (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 18, 2014

Vimpat (lacosamide) for Seizures: "I have been on Vimpat for 2 months now. Like many others, I have been on just about everything! After a week on the Vimpat I was no longer having partial seizures but after about a month, reaching my titrated level of 200mg twice a day. I started noticing weight gain, numbness in my mouth and throat, almost a numb feeling on my skin and a weird overall feeling, all these side effects ended after about a 1/2 hour. It is great to not have the seizures each day and to only be on one medicine while my doctor keeps reassuring me that they will fade with time. I just hope they do because I have to make sure I do not have anything I need to do after taking my dose. I had to fight like crazy for my insurance to cover the medication at $1954/ month."

Karen1981ny (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 11, 2014

Vimpat (lacosamide) for Seizures: "I was on a Depakote, Tegretol and Topiramate cocktail of 12 pills a day. I was not controlled. I even had the VNS implanted in my chest. I switched doctors, and he placed me on Vimpat and Topiramate. Not only am I seizure- free, but I lost 10 lbs. to boot. However, not all good news; hair falling out and tingling in my hands in feet, but I am only on 6 pills a day now."

tutor-girl (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 4, 2014

Vimpat (lacosamide) for Seizures: "I have had all kinds of seizures and taken just about every medicine over the last 25 years. Now I take only Vimpat. Seizure free for over 2 years. Yes, I still have memory issues and meds make me sleepy for about 30 minutes but I could never stay on my medicines because I work. I currently take meds daily and work about 45-50 hours per week! Vimpat has greatly improved the quality of my life."

Princess Nini (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 30, 2014

Vimpat (lacosamide) for Seizures: "I have been on Vimpat for 2 months for seizures and at first it seemed like it was great because my seizures went almost completely away for the first 3 weeks, but then it seemed like they were coming back but not as bad, so I just increased it to 100mgs twice a day. Seems to be working pretty good so far. The problem I'm having with it is that my hair is falling out terribly and I can't remember anything! It's crazy! Just simple stuff that I know just slips my mind. It's very aggravating but rather not have seizures."

Vannahgrace April 9, 2014

Vimpat (lacosamide) for Seizures: "My seizures changed to Partial onset seizures. I can't remember what happened 5 minutes ago, but my seizures have subsided. I'm also weening off of Keppra it made me impossible to live with. I also want to sleep a lot."

Rnewon (taken for less than 1 month) April 9, 2014

Vimpat (lacosamide) for Seizures: "I'm allergic to it"

Anonymous March 20, 2014

Vimpat (lacosamide) for Seizures: "Vimpat is the only medication I have taken for partial simple seizure. I had never had a seizure until I had a car wreck. Did not have seizure until 4 days after wreck. Many other anti seizure medicines would interfere with my immunosuppressants. I only take 25mg twice a day but makes me tired and forgetful. No more seizure in over a year though."

nikkinae (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 13, 2014

Vimpat (lacosamide) for Seizures: "Have been on Vimpat for about 4 months now and am now starting to understand the side effects thanks primarily to these reviews. Previously on Dilantin for >10 years for complex-partial seizures. The positive of using this mediicne is I have a marked improvement in my gums. The Negative side effects are as follows: Poor memory/word recall/digging Short term memory impairment/can't remember what just doing and wanted to do next. Loss of the ability to focus and concentrate/easily distracted. Might not be entirely Vimpat related. Depression/emptiness/out-of-options feeling Burning feet/ MD. suggested it could be Vimpat related. Some loss of taste, Impaired ejaculation. Hope this helps. Might consider going back to Dilantin. Good first time medicine."

Epylist February 26, 2014

Vimpat (lacosamide) for Seizures: "I've been having seizures for the last two years, after being free from seizures for 5 years after temporal lobe surgery. I've had a seizure about every three months. Each seizure was worse then the previous one. Last year when I fell complications caused kidney failure. This has passed. I was on Lamictal and Keppra was added, and both were increased, without any change in seizures. 4 months ago I was taken off Keppra and Vimpat was added. 600 Lamictal/400 Vimpat. It is a strong medicine, in the morning I got very dizzy and unbalanced with double vision. I complained and my dose was split up 3x a day and I feel much better. 4 months free of seizures now, I'm simply waiting for the next seizure, hoping not."

mwo (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 15, 2014

Vimpat (lacosamide) for Seizures: "This has been the better of the 10 others we have been on with our young son. I will say that he has recently developed leg and lower back pain along with more frequent migraines and hair loss and a horrible rash on arms in legs. Also, some weight and memory loss along with some crying fits. But like I said, sadly this was the least side effects of all the ones we have been on. Topamax was the worst, it trashed his insides and turned my sweet child into a crying, crazy, cursing lunatic! Would love to know if anyone has had luck with less side effects on any other anti-epileptic meds. He goes several weeks so far without any seizures on Vimpat so far."

Ky's Mom January 16, 2014

Vimpat (lacosamide) for Seizures: "I have had grand-mal seizures since age of 15. Around 32 I started having partial seizures only I didn't know that's what they were till I read a pamphlet in my Drs office. They put me on Vimpat, which at first did not help with the dizziness I was already feeling from the partial seizures, but after about a year now the dizziness has definitely slowed and I only have partial seizures when I'm overly, overwhelmed, or stressed. It doesn't help with my grand-mal seizures which I have at least 1-2 every month. I have noticed weight gain, and memory loss which I had before the medication, and hair loss, and tingling in my limbs, but if I drink more water it helps with the tingling. As for the hair loss I take biotin and that has helped."

jessicashay January 13, 2014

Vimpat (lacosamide) for Seizures: "I take Tegretol and I have been on Vimpat now for over a year. At first I still had seizures but they were completely different to the ones I had before, I used to jump and scream, now I become an ironing board then kick legs. After a few months they stopped completely, I had never felt better, it was the first time in 25 years I had been free, but the last couple of months they have returned and I have never felt worse. Side effects: extremely emotional [which is at the other end of the scale from Vigabatrin which made me a nutter] depression, memory loss, stuttering and significant weight gain. I am much better on them than without, but as far as stopping my seizures it was short lived"

Silver-Tongue August 31, 2013

Vimpat (lacosamide) for Seizures: "Vimpat introduced 4 days ago at 50mg on top of Topamax (to be fazed out) and Tegretol. So far awful. Side effects are depression, lower back pain, mood is low, irritable, sad, day dreamy, tired, anxious. I don't feel like me anymore."

Who? (taken for less than 1 month) August 24, 2013

Vimpat (lacosamide) for Seizures: "I drank all kinds of medications like Trileptal, Lamictal now I am on 3000 Keppra and still had seizures, but my doctor said don't do surgery I will give you Vimpat. 10% out 100 people took this and it helped. He was right I still had episodes even with 200mg Vimpat but it simply went away for about 6 months now. It does give you loss of hair and feeling depressed but also an important thing to do is watch what you eat. "

unknown2013 (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 3, 2013