User Reviews for Gabapentin

Also known as: Fanatrex, Gabarone, Gralise, Neurontin

Learn more about Gabapentin.

Gabapentin Rating Summary

6.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 1898 medications used in the treatment of Pain.

Reviews for Gabapentin to treat Pain

"For over 6 months severe pain from diabetic neuropathy and nephropathy - constant 6 to 9 in almost every major joint in the body - shoulders, elbows, wrists, hands, hips, knees, ankles, feet - except right hip - 3.... not helped at all by musculoskeletal pain killers. Gabapentin at 900 mg halved those pain levels ... but increased legs edema by 10% and scales weight by 2kg, and added lower back pain stenosis at 8 - discovered that liquid morphine sorted that out. Even if back not sorted it would still have been wonderful just to have a change in what hurt."

thomasruss4 (taken for less than 1 month) February 2, 2016

"I started gabapentin last night; although it was prescribed a week ago. I have very serious allergies and even though the doctor cleared the medicine, I was afraid to have a reaction. I was/am also afraid of the side effects. I am still trying to lose weight after a full thyroidectomy so I don't want to gain anything else. Anyway I was prescribed this for intractable migraines. I took my first 300 mg pill last night as the neck pain I experience prior to some migraines, was riding up the back of my neck. I swear the pain diminished in less than 5 minutes. I did not expect that...weird. Tonight I felt the same pain so I took the pill as scheduled. Again the pain lessened. I had no migraine today so that is amazing for me. So far so good."

Mrs. Ali February 2, 2016

"I was taking gabapentin for about 4 months and it really helped with the side effects and pain from Stenosis in my lower back which is trapping my sciatic nerve. However due to my ankles swelling and weight gain my doctor has switched me to Lyrica and OMG I'm only on day 3 and I want off it. Have decided to return to taking gabapentin as the side effects are nothing like I am experiencing now."

jules65 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 14, 2016

"Was prescribed gabapentin for. Restless burning legs at nite 300 mg. I heard some bad review is so didn't really take it. Got hurt at work aggravating my sciatica in my left leg and knee to the point that nothing took the pain away. So I started taking 600 mg 2 times a day and I can say so far it definitely gives me about 75/90 % relief of my sciatic pain especially when I take Motrin 800 mg with it. Hope it continues to work"

Biggdaddy444 (taken for less than 1 month) January 11, 2016

"Herniated a disc in my lower back in fall of 2009 (via MRI). Couldn't be out of work 12 weeks going the surgery route. Talked to my Family Doctor....said I could try Gabapentin, but that it doesn't work for everyone. Told him I wanted to try that route. Slow dose build- up...starting with 100 mg morning & night. 100 mg add every 3 days until pain disappears. Got up to 600mg am and 600 mg pm. Pain, numbness, etc...gone. Went off it in 2010 without any remaining symptoms. Moved our house contents again in 2015 and again re-herniated the same disc. Dr. re-prescribed, only this time I had to slowly get the dose up to 1,500 mg twice a day before all pain symptoms were gone. I personally never experienced any of the side effects indicated below."

FloridaBill December 14, 2015

"If the purpose the taking gabapentin is to hurl you into a state of psychosis then it gets a ten because this is a very real side effect of this drug. The Pfizer company does not want you to know that it can and has caused many people to go into a psychotic state. Not for a day mind you but for as yet an indeterminate amount of time.They put on the warning do not abruptly stop this medication, but they don't tell you why. "

Butterfly Mom 2 (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 12, 2015

"I ruptured L5/S1 disc at work (I'm 58 years old). Nothing seemed to help with the pain until I asked about Gabapentin and started taking 300 mg three times a day along with Ibuprofen 600 mg. It does help a lot but only when I combine it with Ibuprofen...without I really don't get relief. It does take some time for your body to adjust to it - I felt very foggy, and drugged. I had trouble forming sentences for almost 2 weeks. It's a lot better now."

kayakd (taken for less than 1 month) November 22, 2015

"I have suffered from chronic pain since I was 19. I've taken just about everything available to treat this curse. After about 5 years of refusing Gabapentin, I finally tried it. Don't let the side effects scare you, try it for at least a week and let your body and mind get used to it. This stuff really works for pain relief. Also, the combination of this with your narcotic pain relievers will help greatly. The key to treating pain is moderation and avoiding alchohol. I have had great success combining my pain reliever with this and Naproxen or APAP. Help with depression , mood and sleeping. Some side effects can be dizziness. As your body gets used to this it will start working subtly and relieve your pain and help you rest."

Qualistat November 12, 2015

"Pain associated with shingles. I think the pain was lessened due to the drug but due to the crazy mental side effects I stopped taking it within a week even though my shingles lasted several weeks. It wasn't worth the side effects."

Ed N November 7, 2015

"Introduced when I came down with the Shingles, a most painful ailment which covers most of your torso. Hydrocodone didn't phase it, my doctor explained how it worked and what was happening to my nerve endings. Shingles changes you life because it likes to linger around and your nerve ending have changed. So I'm on 600's 3 TID, makes life more pleasant. Hope this is helpful."

CDR_Condor (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 1, 2015

"This medicine relieved me from daily pain, however I started experiencing unwanted side-effects. The biggest is it would make my anxiety problems worse, and it took me a long time to figure it out."

Person69 October 28, 2015

"Prescribed on Oct 5, threw it away October 25. Experienced wild mood swings, crying, agitated, and an evening of suicidal thoughts when I realized it was the drug. Was a very bad drug for me. Would definitely consider these as possible serious side effects when taking this drug."

Matilda B (taken for less than 1 month) October 26, 2015

"I have found that neurotin has helped with my sciatic pain. It was originally given for the pain in my legs from restless leg syndrome. But it has definitely helped with the bad pain I experience from an injury in my sciatica. It used to be almost unbearable. I do not want to take addictive pain medications again. They only work if you are taking them on a constant basis, and that is not good. With the neurotin, I can take it in the morning and I get relief for most of the day."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 21, 2015

"I've been on gabapentin for several yrs & it was originally for back pain. I had my L4/5 disc fused then 6 years later had a spinal cord stimulator put in. 4 surgeries later NO RELIEF AT ALL. I've been on 300 MG 3x's a day. But recently my neurologyst decided that I should actually take 600 MG 3x's a day because I've been suffering from migraines since age 7. The thing that I've noticed is that my memory is off. I will be in a drive thru & have a list of items that I want off the menu & as soon as they ask me what I want, I draw a blank & look at my son like "HELP" At first I didn't think anything of it but now it's becoming habit. Why??"

Lil sug September 26, 2015

"I was prescribed Gabapentin for horrible, 24/7 MS pain, 300 mg 3x a day at first. It did nothing for the pain, and I spent the entire month I was on it feeling like I was drunk or on a bad 60s type acid trip; I dizzy, staggering, confused, nauseated. My doctor said to give medications a fair chance to work and the side effects should only last a week or so. She increased the dose to 600mg 3x a day when I got no relief from the pain. After a month I couldn't stand the awful side effects any more and was still in pain so I just quit taking it."

Slerriuqs (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 22, 2015

"Took this med for peripheral neuropathy in feet, legs and finger tips from long term untreated hypothyroidism. 300mg 3 times a day. Very little relief when first started. Then after a few months the pain got worse. Also does a number on your stomach. I stopped it and had no withdraws and feel a whole lot better. Need to look for something else for this horrible nerve pain."

Slim Jim (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 21, 2015

"Have sacroilliac joint pain is so unbearable at times have been taking for five days now and only in evening helpful to sleep for awhile but no pain relief"

SHAKE D August 30, 2015

"Sadly no effect on my pain."

tea no sugar (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 19, 2015

"After 3 weeks of excruciating sciatic pain, due to herniated disc at L5-S1, I was prescribed Gabapentin. I was scared about the side effects so I only took a third of my daily dose, alongside naproxen and codeine. I noticed a change in my mood, very tearful and low also. The pain got worse, so I gave in, took the gabapentin as prescribed, continued with codeine and naproxen and then the pain became manageable within 3 weeks. I'm no longer on any drugs now apart from Gabapentin. My mood is better and I am sleeping better. The pain hits me when I walk for 5 minutes, especially going up a hill. Or when I sit/stand for too long. But my quality of life has improved with gabapentin. I am having surgery next week as the disc herniation is large."

GEM77 August 16, 2015

80 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Knocked me out to sleep the 1st 2-3 nights i took it, at 300mg. As the weeks increased as did my dosage of 300mg up per weeek til i reached 1,800 mg. 2 in morning, 4 at bedtime... No way coukd i sleep. My mind constantly racing. Can't be having that......"

Java2006 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 6, 2015

"I'm 67 and got shingles of the eye 8 months ago. The pain was so bad I considered suicide--I mean a bulged right eye that made me look like a frog run over by a Mack Truck--screaming rolling on the floor - I actually screamed so loud neighbors thought of calling the cops thinking I was being tortured! I got the posterpetic nerve pain in the head and forehead after the intial 90 day shingles began to let up and my eye pain went down but on the forehead and down the nose the nerve damage actually burned like someone had a blowtorch on my forehead eye and nose. I'm taking 300 mg time release Gabapenian for 3 months no side effects I'd kiss the scientists who made it! a LIFESAVER for me"

DJ Dan, Burton MI (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 1, 2015

85 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Because I am a recovering alcoholic it is crucial for me to find non-narcotic treatment for the persevering pain of my chronic pancreatitis. I was feeling a bit hopeless with the repeated prescriptions of pain meds (which of course offer only temporary relief, and for me a danger of over-use), until my GI prescribed me Gabapentin. This med has been incredibly successful in mitigating my pain, while also giving me huge energy (I'm a consistent runner so this factor is welcomed), and allowing me to move forward with my sobriety. I give it four stars, though I realize like anything, it's not for everyone. That said, good luck to you all with finding what works."

Sgw78 July 27, 2015

93 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I'm a recovering alcoholic/addict with chronic pancreatitis, so having the option to take a non-narcotic to manage chronic pain is critical for me. I have been relatively successful at managing the pancreatitis after it's acute and vicious onset which had me hospitalized and on a diladid drip for seven weeks. Now that after a year the pancreatitis has turned chronic, though I maintain a good diet and exercise often, and so pain management is crucial. However it's pretty dangerous for me to be on narcotics, and it is most certainly not how I want to spend my life. The Gabapentin has truly made the biggest difference for me in both dealing with chronic pain and the anxiety I have about controlled substances. I am relieved and grateful."

Sgw78 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 25, 2015

"300mg Gabapentin - It definitely got rid of my depression and fibromyalgia pain but after 6 weeks I gained 30lbs.I discontinued the drug after 6 weeks but my weight continues to increase after a year."

ydricka (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 16, 2015

"I rate this a seven because it got rid of my horrible burning urethra pain after two months but I am at 500mg/day at three months and haven't experienced any affect on my bladder pain. The urethra pain was unbearable so I would've taken it just for that. Going to continue taking this for six months. No side effects when working my way up 100mg each week to 500mg/day"

Celi July 3, 2015