User Reviews for Gabapentin

Also known as: Fanatrex, Gabarone, Gralise, Neurontin

Learn more about Gabapentin.

Gabapentin review summary

9.0/10 Average Rating

Compare all 31 medications used in the treatment of Hot Flashes.

Reviews for Gabapentin to treat Hot Flashes

Review by harvey moon:

Have suffered intense hot flushes up to 20 times a day/night for the past 5 years am 49 years old and they were really affecting my life. I am unable to take HRT and was prescribed gabapentin by my GP gradually increasing the dose up to 400mg 3 x a day my hot flashes have reduced by 90% still having the odd one which is much milder than before so hardly notice it at all. This medicine to be honest has given me back my life I feel like a new woman. Sometimes I feel a bit lightheaded on these tablets but nothing to bad and now sleep like a baby. If you are considering giving these a try don't hesitate.

August 19, 2014 5:28 AM

Review by Claire B. (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I was given Gabapentin to try for hot flashes. It works at night more than I ever hoped for. Day time it helps quite a bit. Along with the hot flashes it stopped my anxiety and panic attacks. I can now sleep.

August 7, 2014 5:57 PM

Review by Kelita715 (taken for less than 1 month):

I've only had 2 hot flashes since I started this. What a HUGE relief!

June 1, 2014 1:22 AM

Review by Christina11:

My night time hot flashes were keeping me from sleeping. I would have 4 or 5 episodes a night. My Dr. Prescribed Neurontin and within 2 days my hot flashes have disappeared. I only take this medication at night as it makes me drowsy. I take 200 mg. It is a miracle!!!

March 29, 2014 3:51 AM

Review by lglavish (taken for less than 1 month):

Started taking this for hot flashes a couple of weeks ago. I'm on 300mg twice a day and it is wonderful. I would sometimes get more than 4 hot flashes per hour- I felt like a chameleon. I had no idea how nice it is to be almost completely hot flash free! I'm post menopause at 48 and started having flashes at 37. After awhile it becomes a fact of life, if I had under 10 flashes in a day I thought that was good. When I started having 2-4 per hour in the afternoons, sometimes more than 30 during waking hours, my oncologist prescribed this. I can't take hormones because of high risk breast cancer. Gabapentin is giving me my life back!!!!!

January 20, 2014 7:42 PM

Review by Mary03:

After a year of suffering from severe hot flashes, I was prescribed Gabapentin and what a relief. If I forget to take it, hot flashes resume with a vengeance! This totally works for me!

August 9, 2013 11:11 PM

Review by age lovely:

I came across Gabapentin by accident with my RSD which was given to me at in AZ. I have found out that my hot flashes and sleepless nights have gone away. I love this medicine, it has given me back the life I was meant to have at any age, even over age of 50. I will never change it as long as it helps me. Good Luck.

July 14, 2013 5:12 PM

Review by lops:

I was prescribed gabapentin two years ago to help with night sweats, coincidentally I noticed that having always had mild to moderate anxiety I was much calmer and only became anxious as a result of a problem or crisis. recently I had an illness with nausea and loss of appetite, so stopped all my medications for 2 weeks. My anxiety went through the roof with panic attacks almost constantly, I have since found stopping Gabapentin abruptly is a no no, I took one 300mg last night and feel like my old self already, having had a nights sleep, after 2 weeks of insomnia. I think Gabapentin works extremely well, and I have no side effects. I hope my Dr doesn't ever want me to stop taking them, but if he does I now know it has to be a gradual process.

52 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 2, 2013 12:20 PM

Neurontin (gabapentin): I was given long-acting gabapentin during a clinical study and it was extremely effective but has not been approved by the FDA yet for hot flashes.

August 4, 2011 1:27 PM

I have a condition in the dysautonomia family called POTS (abbreviated). I sweat huge amounts at night, way worse then hot flashes and also had severe itching. 4 tablets of 300mg helped me considerably.

March 16, 2011 12:37 PM

Review by Hot on M.D.:

So glad to hear other women have found relief from hot flashes using this medicine. I thought maybe it was in my head that I was getting some relief. Saw my gynecologist today and she would not prescribe it for me. She was not familiar with this medicine or that it helped hot flashes. Interesting! I found out about the medicine while using it for nerve pain, even my pain doctor was skeptical about it helping with menopause symptoms. The secret is out, there is help out there that is not hormones.

February 18, 2011 12:30 AM

Review by Young Again:

I have been taking gabapentin 600mg, 3 times a day for the past 2 years for hot flashes. I started taking gabapentin ER for a research study on hot flashes. It was a miracle drug for me. The hot flashes almost stopped completely after just 1 week of taking this medicine. The study lasted for 6 months, and then I was taken off cold turkey. The withdrawl was horrible. Hot flashes, couldn't sleep, and just over all irritable to say the least. I went to my regular doctor and was prescribed gabapentin 600mg. Again the hot flashes subsided. It is the only medication that I take. The best part of taking this medication is that my energy level has sky rocketed. At 49 years old, I feel 30.

71 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 22, 2010 1:33 PM

Review by Nice Kilt:

Neurontin (gabapentin): I had been on the brand name Nuerontin for my complex partial seizure disorder, since 1994. When the generic came out, I began taking it. I began experiencing menopause symptoms within two months. I was 36 years old at that time. Three months ago my neurologist put me back on the name brand. My symptoms have diminished greatly, but not completely. I think my condition is unique in that I took this medication while still in child bearing age. When my age increased, something about the generic formulations bio-availability actually induced menopause symptoms. I also know that the name brand is working as evidenced by weight gain which can be brought back down with exercise. I had lost weight, sleep, memory and sanity while on the generic.

June 17, 2010 7:52 PM

Neurontin (gabapentin): I find Neurontin/gabapentin to be a life saver in regards to my hot flashes. I was on the verge of going insane with how severe my hot flashes were and how frequent they were! The only problem....I've gained about 30lbs in the past 9 months. I want to quit because of the weight gain but I'm afraid the hot flashes will come back with a vengeance.

May 17, 2010 4:28 PM

Review by ponydog:

Neurontin (gabapentin): Have been taking Neurontin for 6 days, dramatic decrease in number and severity of hot flushes!

82 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 10, 2008 11:33 AM

Have suffered hot flushes for 20 years as a side effect of Amitrypline. Gabapentine definitely reduces the severity of the flushes, although not stopping them completely.

March 24, 2008 7:23 PM