User Reviews for Gabapentin

Also known as: Fanatrex, Gabarone, Gralise, Neurontin

Learn more about Gabapentin.

Gabapentin Review Summary

8.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 18 medications used in the treatment of Hot Flashes.

Reviews for Gabapentin to treat Hot Flashes

"I was prescribed Gabapentin by my Oncologist last month as my hot flashes and night sweats due to taking tamoxifen, following breast cancer, were getting out of control. I couldn't believe that they totally vanished from the first night of taking 300mg before bedtime. I'm sleeping like a baby for the first time in months and feel fully ready to take on the world again!"

MaisieGsy August 22, 2015

"I was disabled by hot flushes. 3 an hour at night. I was in a constant state of anxiety and frustration.Black Cohosh worked for around 6 months, but the body must build up resistance to it and so I was back to square one. My hot flushes interrupted everything I did. A feeling of panic each time they rose from my chest and into my face. It felt like my head was being micowaved. In total resignation I went to see my GP last week - about to say 'that's enough, lets try the HRT'. I saw a young Locum female GP. She was so lovely and mentioned Gabapentin. 3 x 100mg each day. Within 48hrs I was flush free! I'm not kidding. I feel like I have just recovered from years of illness. A new and happy person! They work. Try them!! :-)"

Little Sue (taken for less than 1 month) August 17, 2015

"I'm a transwoman who after 2+ years on estradiol was taken off it "cold turkey" after having a mini-stroke. The hospital doctors figured that the estradiol had contributed to my mini-stroke and took me off it rather abruptly. Within a week of quitting the estradiol I started having terrible hot flashes that would last 15-20 minutes followed by icy cold spells that lasted 5-10 minutes , I was fairly certain I was dying ! My ob/gyn prescribed Gabapentin 100 mg capsules once a day and within 2 weeks most of the hot flashes subsided. Now I get hot flashes once or twice a day rather than four to six times, I have to say my quality of life has improved considerably !"

shelli63 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 13, 2015

"After years of hot flashes.....at least one per hour....plus sleep depriving night sweats....my doctor suggested Gabapentin rather than hormones. Didnt really understand the drug until I did some research and read how it has helped other women. So, I took it....300mg, at night, as prescribed.....wow!!! I havent slept that well in years!!!! Zero night sweats! The first two mornings after taking Gabapentin, I felt a little bit foggy headed. But also a sense of calm that I really enjoyed. No more foggy mornings.....its been 1 week since I began taking Gabapentin. Still getting a solid 8 hours of sleep with no night sweats! I am one very happy woman!"

kat grab July 29, 2015

"Gabapentin has been great for reducing my hot flashes! I was prescribed this medication after chemotherapy for nerve pain. It stop the nerve pain in my hands and feet. It also helped with restless leg syndrome."

Ernestine Jane June 5, 2015

"I kept thinking it was a quirk or just me well it works. If i miss my nightly doss I have a Night of hot, cold. Hot, cold all night."

sherry m star June 2, 2015

"20 years ago I was experiencing 33 hot flushes (I'm British!) in 24 hours, this had gone on for about five years. Nothing worked for me. I read an article on trials that had taken place in the US, took it to my doctor and we started me on Gabapentin. Well, it was a godsend. I'm not at the top of the dosage level and so I have some minor 'warm' periods but nothing I can't cope with. After that my doctor put all her ladies on it who were having a bad time. I'd recommend it to anyone. No cost to me because we have the National Health Service in this coutnry."

Spreckles (taken for 10 years or more) May 12, 2015

"I was having bad hot flashes and I was taking estrogen, it helps but not much, I did some research, hot flashes are neurological, that's why they work so well! I'm so happy with how they work for me, I hope all women can be helped by this medicine. I Don't take that new medicine called brisdelle it's basically just a 8mg Paxil. neurontin helps with my pain and anxiety also, do research you'll be surprised what meds could help besides estrogen."

JerriLee (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 29, 2015

"I was prescribed Neurontin to treat neuropathy caused by chemotherapy. The chemo had also caused menopause, and that was accompanied by numerous and horrible hot flashes and night sweats. I honestly felt like I was going to spontaneously combust. While on the Neurontin, the hot flashes were reduced, but I did not make a connection to the med, and when I was taken off of it (because it wasn't effective for my neuropathy), the hot flashes returned with a vengeance. While searching online for alternative remedies for hot flashes (I can't take HRT due to cancer), I learned that Neurontin was effective and I made the connection from my previous use of the med. I went back on it (300mgx3) and the hot flashes are under control again."

Tylalla (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 20, 2015

"I started gabapentin for nerve pain. My hot flashes stopped after having them for 5 years. It's been a miracle for me, my doctor hadn't heard it worked for hot flashes, but I can't go back to hot flashes that left me with sweat running down my face in the grocery store line or having to have my bedroom at 50 degrees at night so I could sleep somewhat comfortably at night."

Pcarp (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 3, 2015

"I am 70 and was still having hot flushes more than 20 times in 24 hours, it was showing no signs of ending - ever. My GP was reluctant to give me HRT again because of my age and the fact that I had a mild heart attack 20 years ago, but she gave me Gabapentin, and it works! I only take 300mg at night and never have a hot flush or night sweat now. It is a relief after all these years to be free of the horrible feeling of heat, nausea and pallpitations. The only down side is light headedness and feeling tired. I don't think I could take a higher dose because of this, hopefully I won't need to."

Alice47 (taken for less than 1 month) January 22, 2015

"I have been taking Gabapentin for hot flashes for only about a week and I can sleep at night and I am not soaked in sweat every hour or so. I can even sleep through most of the night now without waking with hot flashes and hubby is not freezing. Thank you gabapentin for giving me back my life. I do have some minor light headed feelings if I stand up or turn quickly but I can live with this. It's a small price to pay for sleep and not being soaked from hot flashes all the time."

hottie53 November 11, 2014

"I was prescribed 100mgx3 Gabapentin increased to 300mg x3, worked a little on sweating but after a few months I noticed I had gained weight. Soon it was spiraling out of control and before I knew it, I had gained almost 20 lbs! Discontinued use, (I had no withdrawal). Went back to my normal size in a few weeks and tried to take the Gabapentin again. Seemed okay at first, then the weight came back again. I am also on Amitriptyline, which I saw some one mention earlier. Also had dizziness and difficulty urinating. Nothing is worth the weight gain."

Repeated weight gain November 3, 2014

"I was lucky enough to find this "off purpose" use for Gabapentin while searching for something else entirely ! I can honestly say the results are astonishingly great...I no longer feel as though I'm being microwaved 20 times a day. Additionally, it has helped me be much less fearful/tentative when driving on the freeway to and from work. I am normally very "tightly wound", and I now truly understand what it feels like to be calm and without that constant, nagging worry feeling. This is a game-changer for me !!"

DDG23 (taken for less than 1 month) October 16, 2014

"Have suffered intense hot flushes up to 20 times a day/night for the past 5 years am 49 years old and they were really affecting my life. I am unable to take HRT and was prescribed gabapentin by my GP gradually increasing the dose up to 400mg 3 x a day my hot flashes have reduced by 90% still having the odd one which is much milder than before so hardly notice it at all. This medicine to be honest has given me back my life I feel like a new woman. Sometimes I feel a bit lightheaded on these tablets but nothing to bad and now sleep like a baby. If you are considering giving these a try don't hesitate."

harvey moon August 19, 2014

84 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I was given Gabapentin to try for hot flashes. It works at night more than I ever hoped for. Day time it helps quite a bit. Along with the hot flashes it stopped my anxiety and panic attacks. I can now sleep."

Claire B. (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 7, 2014

"I've only had 2 hot flashes since I started this. What a HUGE relief!"

Kelita715 (taken for less than 1 month) June 1, 2014

"My night time hot flashes were keeping me from sleeping. I would have 4 or 5 episodes a night. My Dr. Prescribed Neurontin and within 2 days my hot flashes have disappeared. I only take this medication at night as it makes me drowsy. I take 200 mg. It is a miracle!!!"

Christina11 March 29, 2014

87 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Started taking this for hot flashes a couple of weeks ago. I'm on 300mg twice a day and it is wonderful. I would sometimes get more than 4 hot flashes per hour- I felt like a chameleon. I had no idea how nice it is to be almost completely hot flash free! I'm post menopause at 48 and started having flashes at 37. After awhile it becomes a fact of life, if I had under 10 flashes in a day I thought that was good. When I started having 2-4 per hour in the afternoons, sometimes more than 30 during waking hours, my oncologist prescribed this. I can't take hormones because of high risk breast cancer. Gabapentin is giving me my life back!!!!!"

lglavish (taken for less than 1 month) January 20, 2014

96 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"After a year of suffering from severe hot flashes, I was prescribed Gabapentin and what a relief. If I forget to take it, hot flashes resume with a vengeance! This totally works for me!"

Mary03 August 9, 2013

69 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I came across Gabapentin by accident with my RSD which was given to me at in AZ. I have found out that my hot flashes and sleepless nights have gone away. I love this medicine, it has given me back the life I was meant to have at any age, even over age of 50. I will never change it as long as it helps me. Good Luck."

age lovely July 14, 2013

"I was prescribed gabapentin two years ago to help with night sweats, coincidentally I noticed that having always had mild to moderate anxiety I was much calmer and only became anxious as a result of a problem or crisis. recently I had an illness with nausea and loss of appetite, so stopped all my medications for 2 weeks. My anxiety went through the roof with panic attacks almost constantly, I have since found stopping Gabapentin abruptly is a no no, I took one 300mg last night and feel like my old self already, having had a nights sleep, after 2 weeks of insomnia. I think Gabapentin works extremely well, and I have no side effects. I hope my Dr doesn't ever want me to stop taking them, but if he does I now know it has to be a gradual process."

lops January 2, 2013

82 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Neurontin (gabapentin): "I was given long-acting gabapentin during a clinical study and it was extremely effective but has not been approved by the FDA yet for hot flashes. "

Anonymous August 4, 2011

"I have a condition in the dysautonomia family called POTS (abbreviated). I sweat huge amounts at night, way worse then hot flashes and also had severe itching. 4 tablets of 300mg helped me considerably."

Anonymous March 16, 2011

"So glad to hear other women have found relief from hot flashes using this medicine. I thought maybe it was in my head that I was getting some relief. Saw my gynecologist today and she would not prescribe it for me. She was not familiar with this medicine or that it helped hot flashes. Interesting! I found out about the medicine while using it for nerve pain, even my pain doctor was skeptical about it helping with menopause symptoms. The secret is out, there is help out there that is not hormones."

Hot on M.D. February 18, 2011

78 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Learn more about Hot Flashes