User Reviews for Gabapentin

Also known as: Fanatrex, Gabarone, Gralise, Neurontin

Learn more about Gabapentin.

Gabapentin Rating Summary

9.0/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 26 medications used in the treatment of Hot Flashes.

Reviews for Gabapentin to treat Hot Flashes

"My relief from night sweats was totally unexpected. I was prescribed Gabapentin, Valacyclovir and Prednisone for my first shingles outbreak (OMG - the pain). I constantly evaluated my symptoms and side effects for improvement or anything weird. After four days it occurred to me I had not had any night sweats (I don't know exactly when they stopped, because this was something I wasn't monitoring). I have had night sweats for years and always sleep with a fan beside my bed. So when I noticed no night sweats, I looked up all the medications to see if they affected night sweats. I checked Gabapentin last and was SHOCKED to see its association - and then I hit this forum. It was prescribed for nerve pain, but this side effect for me is AWESOME."

GabaFriend April 30, 2016

"50 mg of Gabapentin takes cares of my hot flashes at night. I don't get them during the day, thank goodness."

Karen41116 April 11, 2016

"I have been experiencing hot flashes for about a year now.I was prescribed Gabapentin 300mg for neck herniation/nerve pain and I figured out it was also helping with night sweats. It has been a huge help at night and I have been able to sleep. I recommend giving it a try!!"

Dobieluver April 11, 2016

"I am in my 6th year of severe hot flashes. I had a least 20 during the day and one every 15 minutes at night. I couldn't take estrogen because the risk of stroke. I tried herbal remedies, Paxil and lexapro. While on lexapro I had anxiety stacks and severe depression for 3 months being on lexapro for 2 weeks. It messed with my brain. I regret taking that and was very frustrated nothing could help hot flashes. I did some searching on goggle and found gabapentin. This is a Godsend! My first night taking it my hot flashes diminished totally. I take 300mgx2. One in the morning and one at night. If I do get a hot flash it last about 10 seconds and very minimal. I would recommend gabapentin in place of ERT. "

Mae Thibbs March 20, 2016

"This has been a game changer for me. You are told by so many women, the horror stories of menopause, but until you go through it, you don't really understand how bad it can get. The FDA has approved gabapentin to help control the signs and symptoms of menopause and it does just that. I have not experienced any negative side effects from the gabapentin; please note that the recommended dosage is 300 mg and I have been able to control my side effects with 200 mg. If you are suffering from the side effects of menopause, I would highly suggest that you ask your doctor if this is a drug that you would be eligible to take, taking in consideration any other conditions you have or medications you are taking."

Brandy4557 February 26, 2016

"I have spinal stenosis and terrible night sweats. I hadn't slept through the night in over a year. My MD prescribed gabapentin 300mg nightly. I slept through the night with the first dose. I feel like a human being again."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) February 18, 2016

"Was prescribed gabapentin for back pain but noticed very quickly that my night sweats and hot flashes greatly diminished after starting this medication. I also sleep better and don't wake up as often. This has been a blessing due to the fact that I am unable to take any medication normally prescribed for menopausal symptoms due to having thrombosis years ago. :)"

Tanner13 February 5, 2016

"I have been having hot flushes day and night for 16 years 1 every 2 hours i live in Spain and cannot sit in the sun as when I get a hot flush I nearly pass out. Then I found out about Gabapentin from researching, OMG what a transformed person I am!! I take 300mg twice a day, I am so happy they have disappeared. A big whoopee from me."

Carole2708 January 16, 2016

"I've been literally suffering from hot flashes & night sweats for months now. Estroven worked for a minute, but they soon returned, & appeared angry for my trying to get rid of them, lol; they were even more severe. I began taking gabapentin 300mg for something else and noticed the diminishing of the hot flashes. At first, I didn't make the connection. I couldn't wait for the time to take one to have more of the drug in my system. Joking aside, I feel like a renewed person after just 4 days of taking them so yes, I'm a little giddy. :) I did feel a little light-headed after the very first pill, but not since then. I have also experienced no other side effects so I'm just so grateful to feel normal again. Its been awful, especially in public."

gatweet (taken for less than 1 month) December 31, 2015

"I was offered gabapentin for nerve pain in my chest. Having had hot flushes and night sweats completely taking over and affectly so many areas of my life, after only a couple of days taking the gabapentin, the flushes stopped!!! I had been suffering for 3 years having gone through treatment for breast cancer at 45. Due to the amount of pain, my GP had me in 1x300mg 4 times aday. Downside was for the first 3-4 weeks (also because it was a high dose), I felt very drowsy, unable to concentrate, so also unable to drive. I was off work anyway, so was able to cope ok. This only lasted the 2 weeks. My GP had discussed the side affects before hand. I had been on 37.5 mg of venlafaxine 2x1 daily but didn't feel it helped that much. live with in UK."

Ginger June (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 20, 2015

"This drug is amazing. I was unable to sleep more than two hours at a time for over a year now. Within two days of taking this pill, my hot flashes are gone!! I feel fantastic and have experienced no side effects"

Reptyle35 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 10, 2015

"I started taking Gabapentin two weeks ago. My doctor prescribed it for my hot flashes and night sweats. I was averaging two to three hot flashes an hour and terrible night sweats every night. It was very debilitating and overwhelming. Since starting the Gabapentin the night sweats have vanished altogether and I average two hot flashes a day! it's a lifesaver for me. I take three 300 mg. pills per day, one in the morning, one after dinner and one before bed."

bwolkins (taken for less than 1 month) September 25, 2015

"I have been on gabapentin for 1 year. I take 300mg. 3 times a day. I was prescribed to take double the amount for hot flashes. I have only taken this amount for 6 days and am praying that I will get relief soon."

hot not in a good way (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 6, 2015

"I was prescribed Gabapentin by my Oncologist last month as my hot flashes and night sweats due to taking tamoxifen, following breast cancer, were getting out of control. I couldn't believe that they totally vanished from the first night of taking 300mg before bedtime. I'm sleeping like a baby for the first time in months and feel fully ready to take on the world again!"

MaisieGsy August 22, 2015

"I was disabled by hot flushes. 3 an hour at night. I was in a constant state of anxiety and frustration.Black Cohosh worked for around 6 months, but the body must build up resistance to it and so I was back to square one. My hot flushes interrupted everything I did. A feeling of panic each time they rose from my chest and into my face. It felt like my head was being micowaved. In total resignation I went to see my GP last week - about to say 'that's enough, lets try the HRT'. I saw a young Locum female GP. She was so lovely and mentioned Gabapentin. 3 x 100mg each day. Within 48hrs I was flush free! I'm not kidding. I feel like I have just recovered from years of illness. A new and happy person! They work. Try them!! :-)"

Little Sue (taken for less than 1 month) August 17, 2015

"I'm a transwoman who after 2+ years on estradiol was taken off it "cold turkey" after having a mini-stroke. The hospital doctors figured that the estradiol had contributed to my mini-stroke and took me off it rather abruptly. Within a week of quitting the estradiol I started having terrible hot flashes that would last 15-20 minutes followed by icy cold spells that lasted 5-10 minutes , I was fairly certain I was dying ! My ob/gyn prescribed Gabapentin 100 mg capsules once a day and within 2 weeks most of the hot flashes subsided. Now I get hot flashes once or twice a day rather than four to six times, I have to say my quality of life has improved considerably !"

shelli63 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 13, 2015

"After years of hot flashes.....at least one per hour....plus sleep depriving night sweats....my doctor suggested Gabapentin rather than hormones. Didnt really understand the drug until I did some research and read how it has helped other women. So, I took it....300mg, at night, as prescribed.....wow!!! I havent slept that well in years!!!! Zero night sweats! The first two mornings after taking Gabapentin, I felt a little bit foggy headed. But also a sense of calm that I really enjoyed. No more foggy mornings.....its been 1 week since I began taking Gabapentin. Still getting a solid 8 hours of sleep with no night sweats! I am one very happy woman!"

kat grab July 29, 2015

"Gabapentin has been great for reducing my hot flashes! I was prescribed this medication after chemotherapy for nerve pain. It stop the nerve pain in my hands and feet. It also helped with restless leg syndrome."

Ernestine Jane June 5, 2015

"I kept thinking it was a quirk or just me well it works. If i miss my nightly doss I have a Night of hot, cold. Hot, cold all night."

sherry m star June 2, 2015

"20 years ago I was experiencing 33 hot flushes (I'm British!) in 24 hours, this had gone on for about five years. Nothing worked for me. I read an article on trials that had taken place in the US, took it to my doctor and we started me on Gabapentin. Well, it was a godsend. I'm not at the top of the dosage level and so I have some minor 'warm' periods but nothing I can't cope with. After that my doctor put all her ladies on it who were having a bad time. I'd recommend it to anyone. No cost to me because we have the National Health Service in this coutnry."

Spreckles (taken for 10 years or more) May 12, 2015

"I was having bad hot flashes and I was taking estrogen, it helps but not much, I did some research, hot flashes are neurological, that's why they work so well! I'm so happy with how they work for me, I hope all women can be helped by this medicine. I Don't take that new medicine called brisdelle it's basically just a 8mg Paxil. neurontin helps with my pain and anxiety also, do research you'll be surprised what meds could help besides estrogen."

JerriLee (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 29, 2015

"I was prescribed Neurontin to treat neuropathy caused by chemotherapy. The chemo had also caused menopause, and that was accompanied by numerous and horrible hot flashes and night sweats. I honestly felt like I was going to spontaneously combust. While on the Neurontin, the hot flashes were reduced, but I did not make a connection to the med, and when I was taken off of it (because it wasn't effective for my neuropathy), the hot flashes returned with a vengeance. While searching online for alternative remedies for hot flashes (I can't take HRT due to cancer), I learned that Neurontin was effective and I made the connection from my previous use of the med. I went back on it (300mgx3) and the hot flashes are under control again."

Tylalla (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 20, 2015

"I started gabapentin for nerve pain. My hot flashes stopped after having them for 5 years. It's been a miracle for me, my doctor hadn't heard it worked for hot flashes, but I can't go back to hot flashes that left me with sweat running down my face in the grocery store line or having to have my bedroom at 50 degrees at night so I could sleep somewhat comfortably at night."

Pcarp (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 3, 2015

"I am 70 and was still having hot flushes more than 20 times in 24 hours, it was showing no signs of ending - ever. My GP was reluctant to give me HRT again because of my age and the fact that I had a mild heart attack 20 years ago, but she gave me Gabapentin, and it works! I only take 300mg at night and never have a hot flush or night sweat now. It is a relief after all these years to be free of the horrible feeling of heat, nausea and pallpitations. The only down side is light headedness and feeling tired. I don't think I could take a higher dose because of this, hopefully I won't need to."

Alice47 (taken for less than 1 month) January 22, 2015

"I have been taking Gabapentin for hot flashes for only about a week and I can sleep at night and I am not soaked in sweat every hour or so. I can even sleep through most of the night now without waking with hot flashes and hubby is not freezing. Thank you gabapentin for giving me back my life. I do have some minor light headed feelings if I stand up or turn quickly but I can live with this. It's a small price to pay for sleep and not being soaked from hot flashes all the time."

hottie53 November 11, 2014

85 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate