User Reviews for Gabapentin

Also known as: Fanatrex, Gabarone, Gralise, Neurontin

Learn more about Gabapentin.

Gabapentin Review Summary

8.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 62 medications used in the treatment of Bipolar Disorder.

Reviews for Gabapentin to treat Bipolar Disorder

"I take Gabapentin along with Prazosin and the Gabapentin does not work. I take 600mg of Gabapentin and 2mg of Prazosin. Now my Dr is going to have to take me off of Gabapentin and put me on something else."

Brenda Strothers June 29, 2015

"Lamictal gabapentin and brintillix combo has really helped my Bipolar 2. Gabapentin is calming and the blurred vision goes away after a week or 2"

bboo June 29, 2015

"I just started 400 mg a day its only day two but my first night sleep was amazing the deepest sleep I've ever had woke up groggy and not feeling up to much but I got better thru the day and now I've read comments saying other people felt loopy and groggy first couple weeks so I hope it dose even out"

HLC420 June 26, 2015

"After 8 months of sleep problems caused by anxiety started to take 3x300mg. First two days were amazing. No more anxiety when falling a sleep and during a day. After 5 days started to noticing anxiety again so went up to 600x2 300x1. Its totally miracle drug. No more anxiety, I feel calm and relax with social situations and have proper deep sleep. I love it!"

Carpiu April 17, 2015

"I was Rx'd gabapentin to address the agitated/mood-swingy feelings I still had after being Rx'd Lamictal to address my highly recurrent depression. Lamictal addresses the big problem of depression and gabapentin is like the final touch that makes things peaceful/balanced. I take 3-400 mg right before work (PRN) and I can get through the day stable, calm and able to focus on what I need to do. If I forget to take a dose, I'll finally realize how agitated/emotional I am by around 10:30. I'll take my dose and within an hour I'm back to normal. It's really great. No side-effects that I notice. I take it PRN, like a benzo replacement, so sometimes I'll take 2-300 mgs in the afternoon if I think something stressful is coming up. Great med!"

Good Stuff! (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 16, 2015

"I was on every type of class of bi-polar medications and the side effects were worse than the condition. I have been taking gabapentin at night for a year now and I love it. It does not make me fuzzy or groggy the next day and my moods are manageable most of the time. In the long term, I prefer gabapentin."

kayeLo March 8, 2015

"It's changed my life. I can finally function with bipolar. I'm sleeping, calm, productive and I am not indecisive about everything everyday. I'm not drowsy and I can get up on time for work. I'm 45- it's been a 20 year struggle without it."

Ms maryland (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 27, 2015

"Worked for the first 3 months I took it. Went up gradually to 400mg 3x a day. After this time was up was when I was increased due to the mood swings becoming a lot worse. If only it worked for longer!!"

Tjmzz (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 23, 2015

"After taking Lamitcal (250mg) for a 8 months or so to address my highly recurrent depressive episode, I realized I was still feeling agitated/annoyed/worried/anxious etc. Psych prescribed a low dose (100-300mg, up to 3x/day) to take as needed. I take it when I know something stressful, or a stressful part of my week, will be coming up. It seems to 'just work,' subtly within 30 minutes. It works so well and it is so subtle that I more than half wonder if it's all just the placebo effect. However it works, I'm happy to have found a chill pill that has no side effects, is non-habit forming and can be taken as needed rather than feeling enslaved to it."

AndyBoBandy February 11, 2015

"After numerous trials over the past 15 years I've yet to find anything that had such a profound affect so quickly. I've been taking Effexor and 3 Ativan per day to control extreme anxiety and depression. While it worked for some time, I recently started rapid cycling bipolar episodes. Now Im taking a small dose of Lithium and just added Gabapentin.....the lift was immediate after the first dose......woke up feeling good for the first time in a long time. Today was the same. If this continues, Ive found the wonder cure."

DBJ December 3, 2014

"I found it to be helpful but at a pretty high dose and I wouldn't call it a cure all but it really has helped with me. I am someone that doesn't handle and respond to typical antipsychotics and certainly not good on anti-depressants. I am mixed state right now because the doctor reduced my meds by 600 mg without a reason. It drove me to all kinds of emotions."

Jillyy November 22, 2014

"I have been on Neurontin for several years. I take it along with Zoloft for bi-polar disorder. All I can say is that it works for me!"

Donna M. October 19, 2014

"Neurontin has been a life saver for me. I've been taking it for 8 years since my first time I was in a drug rehab center. My doctor started giving me neurontin as a mood stabilizer and said that it helps with opioid and heroin withdrawal symptoms. And he was absolutely right. I have been on so many medications and neurontin is definitely the best med I have taken for my symptoms. I recommend this to anyone who has the problem tht I do."

chrissy3520 October 19, 2014

"I started taking gabapentin experimentally to treat chronic depression and am now prescribed 1800mg a day. At doses of 2700mg I experienced a significant improvement in impulse control and depression in general. Went from being a shut in, to going for walks and enjoying my time in the company of others. At the lower dose of 1800mg a day, I don't experience much improvement, save for a decrease in depressive symptoms. I'm looking forward to a larger dose if my doctor okays it."

babylegs (taken for less than 1 month) September 24, 2014

"I love gapapentin! I take 600 - 1200 mg a day and I am happy again. I was on other medicines plus Celexa for depression but still had horrible anxiety and crazy mood swings. I now take my gapapentin and 100 mg of Seroquel and I have no anxiety and I feel better overall. I am not really sleepy either."

Being Bipolar is not all bad (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 19, 2014

"I have Fibromyalgia, Bipolar Disorder, Lumbar Spinal issues, Sciatica pain, Anxiety Disorder, and Neurological pain. I have been on a low dose, and always complained it made me sleepy, and took 60MG of oxycodone a day. I now take 3400 MG of gabapentin per day, Lexapro, and Seroquel. Cannot stress enough of how awesome gabapentin is. It helps most of my health problems. It is a miracle pill that I ignored for a long time. I do feel a bit floaty and giggly. But, I am also able to live my life again!"

preciselythis (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 30, 2014

"I have bipolar disorder, chronic depression, and anxiety and gabapentin has help tremendously without the use of other narcotic medicines. Yea, it makes you feel a little loopy for the first few weeks, but after that it does a wonderful job calming the nerves. One day I decided to go off it and the next day I had insane mood swings until I started it back up 2 days later and then it was like night and day. So that's how I know this stuff works. While I was off it, I threw my back out and after going back on it my back pain was virtually gone. Killed two birds with one stone. It does make my face more oily than normal along with minor fatigue and added hunger, but other than that I love it."

Pete7189 August 7, 2014

"Psychiatric nurse decided to change antidepressant (trazodone). Caused psychotic episode. Hospitalized and psychiatrist decided not to put me back on antidepressant (Lexapro) that I was taking before trazodone. Bad move. They put me on gabapentin for several months. Angry most of the time. Irritable. Unhappy. Finally getting off gabapentin. Didn't help mood (made it worse), didn't help anxiety (I had to take more Ativan). The use of gabapentin was off label and a very bad idea. "

driving me nuts (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 21, 2014

"Gabapentin has saved my life! Like everyone else I was experiencing a lot of anxiety & wanted something non habit forming and addictive. This makes me feel calm about an hour after taking. No more anxious thoughts & irritation. Wonderful medication I can't stress that enough!"

Rosiecoco June 1, 2014

73 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Gabapentin makes me feel better. I take it everyday, two times a day. I have bipolar disorder, schizophrenia and severe anxiety. Gabapentin, along with Risperidal, help me feel normal."

Faceless May 30, 2014

"I have been unable to tolerate any if the other mood stabilizers I have been on. Gabapentin 900 mg daily was my initial dosage and I felt relief from my severe anxiety and irritability for the first couple days, then it subsided and only helped calm it down somewhat. I just saw doc today & it's going up to 1800 mg daily. Hopefully I can feel more normal again."

Christy B (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 20, 2014

"I have neuropathic pain, seizures and bipolar disorder all which can be treated by Gabapentin. At first it seemed like I wasn't taking anything but after getting on 3600mg/day it has really improved my life. My pain is tolerable, the simple-partial seizures are well managed and I am calm all the time. It took a large dose to work for me but I am glad I tried it. My only complaint is that if I stand up quickly I get dizzy. But relative to everything else I don't mind."

complex woman (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 8, 2013

"I've been taking this for 17 years and it is been magic for me. I immediately started feeling better and within 6 weeks went back to work."

Miami man (taken for 10 years or more) September 22, 2013

69 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I am 25. I have been taking gabapentin sense I was 17. I must say that I can't live without it. It makes me feel "my normal". Anyway, it calms my nerves - but not like a volume ...it makes me feel really good. I feel like I can do and achieve just about anything! I wouldn't want to be without it. I am prescribed 800 mg gabapentin. I take 1600 mg when I get up in the morning. Gabapentin changed me..personally..for the better. I love my medicine!"

Mellaney (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 1, 2013

101 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I was given gabapentin in addition to my Lamictal. On the two medicines I have developed a little obsessive compulsive disorder. I like having three ink pens to work, like things positioned on shelves in a certain way. After that being said my rapid cycling bipolar is under control. Gabapentin doesn't help joint pain or any other pains I seem to have. I take 400 mg 3x a day. I like it, all the side effects are worth it in my opinion. I have never felt better in my life! I work out everyday just about and eat healthy. The time I started gabapentin I have energy. I have lost 25lbs and have been doing this life change for 6 months. Please try it! And if you are bipolar try the combination. "

Wkumomma (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 13, 2013