User Reviews for Gabapentin

Also known as: Fanatrex, Gabarone, Gralise, Neurontin

Learn more about Gabapentin.

Gabapentin review summary

8.7/10 Average Rating

Compare all 64 medications used in the treatment of Bipolar Disorder.

Reviews for Gabapentin to treat Bipolar Disorder

Review by complex woman (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

gabapentin: I have neuropathic pain, seizures and bipolar disorder all which can be treated by Gabapentin. At first it seemed like I wasn't taking anything but after getting on 3600mg/day it has really improved my life. My pain is tolerable, the simple-partial seizures are well managed and I am calm all the time. It took a large dose to work for me but I am glad I tried it. My only complaint is that if I stand up quickly I get dizzy. But relative to everything else I don't mind.

December 8, 2013 10:18 PM
Review by Miami man (taken for 10 years or more): User Rating:

gabapentin: I've been taking this for 17 years and it is been magic for me. I immediately started feeling better and within 6 weeks went back to work.

September 22, 2013 12:11 PM
Review by Mellaney (taken for 5 to 10 years): User Rating:

gabapentin: I am 25. I have been taking gabapentin sense I was 17. I must say that I can't live without it. It makes me feel "my normal". Anyway, it calms my nerves - but not like a volume ...it makes me feel really good. I feel like I can do and achieve just about anything! I wouldn't want to be without it. I am prescribed 800 mg gabapentin. I take 1600 mg when I get up in the morning. Gabapentin changed me..personally..for the better. I love my medicine!

May 1, 2013 5:41 PM
Review by Wkumomma (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

gabapentin: I was given gabapentin in addition to my Lamictal. On the two medicines I have developed a little obsessive compulsive disorder. I like having three ink pens to work, like things positioned on shelves in a certain way. After that being said my rapid cycling bipolar is under control. Gabapentin doesn't help joint pain or any other pains I seem to have. I take 400 mg 3x a day. I like it, all the side effects are worth it in my opinion. I have never felt better in my life! I work out everyday just about and eat healthy. The time I started gabapentin I have energy. I have lost 25lbs and have been doing this life change for 6 months. Please try it! And if you are bipolar try the combination.

April 13, 2013 1:27 PM
Review by MustangDave: User Rating:

gabapentin: After 31 years of being treated for depression with a panic disorder, and constantly complaining that the diagnosis was wrong, I found a doctor that figured it out. She diagnosed me with Cyclothymia (a form of bipolar disorder). She took me off of SSRI's and started me on Gabapentin. WOW. I feel like a normal person (I think). I'm calm. So far no panic attacks. The fog has lifted. I feel like I'm actually in the room. It's too bad that it took 31 years of my life for the medical community to figure it out, but better late than never.

63 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 14, 2013 2:12 PM
Review by Bipolar wife in Atlanta (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

gabapentin: For a long time I have believed that I was bipolar but never took medicine for it. A couple years ago I started taking gabapentin for a herniated disk. I immediately noticed a feel good feeling. That is now the main reason I continue to take it. People are warned to not stop taking this abruptly..THEY MEAN IT! I recently had surgery to remove my fibroids and I stopped taking gabapentin due to all the other medicines I was having to take. Shortly after stopping abruptly my husband said something to me I didn't like that hurt my feelings and I THREW A PLATE OF FOOD AT HIM! I have never in my life done this. Afterwards I found out that anxiety is also a symptom of abruptly stopping meds. Make sure to wean off slowly.

January 6, 2013 9:14 PM
Review by Vog112 (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

gabapentin: I use Gabapentin 1200 mg since 2 weeks for my rapid cycling bipolar. Since one week I feel stable as I have never been for 10 years. It is early to say but it seems to be helpful. It is very difficult condition and difficult for treatment too. I was suffering a lot, but now I just enjoy to my life. I eat normal and also I am calmer. Also I use Depakote and Effexor, a little dose Wellbutrin and Seroquel. I have very mild mood changes now.

June 16, 2012 3:15 AM
Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

gabapentin: I want to ask if gabapentin works in small doses. I take 300 mg 2 times, but I feel for 4 hours pushed down, but I can do my homework. I take also as stabilizer Depakote 2000 mg, but I'm not stable only with Depakote, so my doctor told me to try gabapentin.

June 8, 2012 9:51 AM
Review by E in Boston: User Rating:

Neurontin (gabapentin): Provides for a very calming effect without feeling drowsy. It takes the edge off just enough so that I can focus better on the day-to-day.

79 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 14, 2012 7:21 PM
Review by danforeman: User Rating:

gabapentin: Finally after every medicine known for use in treating Bi-Polar Gabapentin was the key when it was coupled with Lamictal.

October 5, 2011 2:20 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Neurontin (gabapentin): Is definitely a mood stabilizer!

May 22, 2011 3:43 PM
Review by Quorrah: User Rating:

Neurontin (gabapentin): Was quite effective in combination with Seroquel. I felt A LOT better! Drymouth and sleepiness were the only real side effects and they weren't that harsh. Easy to use.

May 10, 2011 5:30 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Neurontin (gabapentin): I have been taking Neurontin 800 mg 4 times a day for several years. I can say it helped me in more ways than one. Been underweight for most of my life, and over the years Neurontin has helped me get an appetite back. Now I am the right weight for my height. Also, after 4 years addicted to Suboxone and Klonopin, I never would have been able to get clean without Neurontin. Overall I feel that Neurontin has saved my life. I haven't attempted suicide since I started on it. But for SEVERE bi-polar like I have, counseling really does help.

April 11, 2011 12:11 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Neurontin (gabapentin): I am currently on 3200 MG a day (was on 2400 a day, but after 5 years started to develop a tolerance). I have been put on it for my bipolar then taken off of it then put back on it for an injury to my neck. After several nightmare drug trials including Geodon, Tegretol, Lithium, Seroquel, and Zyprexa and more... I will never again stray from this medication. The ones in the list that did help caused horrific side effects mostly being a feeling like restless leg syndrome (except with Seroquel it was all over my body), and with Lithium I have never wanted to commit suicide as strongly as I did on the two times I attempted that medication. Neurontin makes me calmer, sometimes giggly I admit, and sometimes zoned out but this is rare.

March 29, 2011 10:54 PM
Review by SeekingBalance: User Rating:

Neurontin (gabapentin): I have been taking Neurontin at 1800-2100 mg/day after a nightmare trial on Seroquel. It felt like I was jettisoned up out of a deep, dark hole. Everyone comments on how I am myself again, and I agree. It also helps with nerve pain, sleep, and definitely stabilized my moods. I have only gained 3 pounds, and I attribute that more to the fact I am eating again at all (don't eat when cycling). This medicine is easily metabolized and has few drug interactions. I am grateful that my doctor recommended it, as well as the Cleveland Clinic. It has been around since 1998, so I think we are good to go.

February 19, 2011 2:32 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Neurontin (gabapentin): I am on 1200mg a day to help regulate my moods. I am being treated for Bipolar 2 and depression. It has worked wonders. My moods are now under control and I am not cycling nearly as bad as before.

January 6, 2011 11:28 PM
Review by jackaltman: User Rating:

gabapentin: Used since 1996 for bipolar disorder (available only as Neurontin then). Seemed immediately effective. Now taking minimal (300 mg) dosage daily. Not aware of any side effects, except it may help my sleep a bit.

July 7, 2010 1:13 PM
Review by lexus985: User Rating:

Neurontin (gabapentin): Has made me a very irritable person. Also causes weight gain.

June 24, 2010 9:11 PM