User Reviews for Gabapentin

Also known as: Fanatrex, Gabarone, Gralise, Neurontin

Learn more about Gabapentin.

Gabapentin review summary

7.9/10 Average Rating

Compare all 16 medications used in the treatment of Alcohol Withdrawal.

Reviews for Gabapentin to treat Alcohol Withdrawal

Review by Hollybear:

I was prescribed gabapentin for tingling and numbness several months ago. I had been trying to stop drinking for years. With the reduction of cravings which was a side effect of the Gabapentin, plus AA I have been sober for 9 months.

June 15, 2013 8:13 AM

Review by Robbo91:

I have been a sporadic alcoholic for years now. This and my bipolar does not help. I was prescribed gabapentin 600mg 3 times a day for my frequent and very painful headaches and I have never felt better. I have no cravings for alcohol and haven't drank for 2 weeks now. I sleep better. I feel positive. I'm happy for the first time In years. More research should be done as it is not a recommended medicine for alcohol withdrawal.

April 24, 2013 8:55 PM

Review by AlcoholicD (taken for less than 1 month):

I have had quite a few severe alcoholic relapses, and Neurontin is wonderful for me for stopping alcohol withdrawal shakes, which seems to tone down the anxiety. It works quickly too for that purpose.

April 3, 2013 1:45 PM

Review by hybridbn:

I have been taking gabapentin for years. Started after stopped drinking. Had a recent 3 mos alcoholic relapse and continued taking gabapentin during and after. Have been surprised by how easy the alcohol withdrawal has been. Am also taking Antabuse to avoid a slip but I don't think this is supposed to help reduce the desire to drink. Anyway, the biggest reason I wanted to post is that I want to caution anyone who tries to get off gabapentin to do so very slowly like maybe reduce by 100 mg or 10% /week whichever is less. I have had horrible anxiety, shivers, sweats, racing thoughts, sleepnessless, pain and more trying to get off it.

October 30, 2011 12:31 PM

Neurontin (gabapentin): This medication is awesome. I have been an alcoholic for 12 yrs. It has been 2 weeks since my last drink. It helps with mood swings, depression, and cravings. The best thing about it is it is not addictive (non narcotic).

58 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 29, 2011 1:15 AM

Neurontin (gabapentin): I was able to withdraw from opiates using Neurontin.

76 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 24, 2010 3:39 AM