User Reviews for Gabapentin

Also known as: Fanatrex, Gabarone, Gralise, Neurontin

Learn more about Gabapentin.

Gabapentin Review Summary

8.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 16 medications used in the treatment of Alcohol Withdrawal.

Reviews for Gabapentin to treat Alcohol Withdrawal

"I have been on Gabapentin for 15 months. My dose is two 600mg tablets a day for a total of 1200mg in a 24-hour period. I was prescribed Gabapentin for alcoholism first, anxiety second. This medication is a God send. After drinking 10-15 alcohol drinks a day for 40 years, within a week I quit and had no side effects from withdrawal - plus the anxiety went away. I do NOT crave alcohol at all. It is so weird. I thought it wouldn't work until I tried it - and it does work! It was THAT quick. I suggest everyone with an alcohol problem that wants to quit but is deathly afraid to do so, ask your doctor for gabapentin. It is non-addictive like benzodiazepines (Valium, Xanax). AA never worked for me. Gabapentin, IMO replaces AA."

Gaba-Lover May 12, 2015

"i was drinking heavily for a few months and had to go to detox 6 weeks ago. i thought i'd be okay to drink about five days ago--started one day with four drinks, escalated to 12 drinks yesterday. i'm taking neurontin (600 mg 4x/day) right now because i'm scared of withdrawal. i expected i would be having symptoms today and would have to do an at-home 3-4 day taper. instead i have had two drinks today, that plus the neurontin and .5 mg of klonopin with barely noticeable symptoms. i hope to have less than five drinks today, maximum of two tomorrow and then stop for good after. highly recommend this!"

aslasha March 27, 2015

"I was prescribed gabapentin for tingling and numbness several months ago. I had been trying to stop drinking for years. With the reduction of cravings which was a side effect of the Gabapentin, plus AA I have been sober for 9 months."

Hollybear June 15, 2013

"I have been a sporadic alcoholic for years now. This and my bipolar does not help. I was prescribed gabapentin 600mg 3 times a day for my frequent and very painful headaches and I have never felt better. I have no cravings for alcohol and haven't drank for 2 weeks now. I sleep better. I feel positive. I'm happy for the first time In years. More research should be done as it is not a recommended medicine for alcohol withdrawal."

Robbo91 April 24, 2013

"I have had quite a few severe alcoholic relapses, and Neurontin is wonderful for me for stopping alcohol withdrawal shakes, which seems to tone down the anxiety. It works quickly too for that purpose."

AlcoholicD (taken for less than 1 month) April 3, 2013

"I have been taking gabapentin for years. Started after stopped drinking. Had a recent 3 mos alcoholic relapse and continued taking gabapentin during and after. Have been surprised by how easy the alcohol withdrawal has been. Am also taking Antabuse to avoid a slip but I don't think this is supposed to help reduce the desire to drink. Anyway, the biggest reason I wanted to post is that I want to caution anyone who tries to get off gabapentin to do so very slowly like maybe reduce by 100 mg or 10% /week whichever is less. I have had horrible anxiety, shivers, sweats, racing thoughts, sleepnessless, pain and more trying to get off it. "

hybridbn October 30, 2011

Neurontin (gabapentin): "This medication is awesome. I have been an alcoholic for 12 yrs. It has been 2 weeks since my last drink. It helps with mood swings, depression, and cravings. The best thing about it is it is not addictive (non narcotic)."

Anonymous January 29, 2011

93 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Neurontin (gabapentin): "I was able to withdraw from opiates using Neurontin."

Anonymous October 24, 2010

105 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Learn more about Alcohol Withdrawal