User Reviews for Lexapro

Learn more about Lexapro.

Lexapro Review Summary

8.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 7 medications used in the treatment of Generalized Anxiety Disorder.

Reviews for Lexapro to treat Generalized Anxiety Disorder

"I suffer from generalized anxiety and frequent panic attacks. Been on the medication for a week now. First 6 days 5 mg, now its been upped to 10 mg. Definitely has taken the edge off, but I'm in a daze/dream like state. Gonna stick it out and give it a few more weeks. Better and more stabilized mood. Also, side effect of bad stomach pains and bathroom issues. Hoping thats also resolved soon."

Anonymous34353543 August 25, 2015

"I've been on Lexapro for two days with Ativan for emergencies. I'm very pleased with Lexapro for being just a few days and already seeing a difference, plus medicine usually makes me very sick and this did not. Its nice to go to bed and not have 2 or 3 panic attacks with over thinking and palpitations. My only dislike, so far, is that it makes my teeth feel very strange and it's a little annoying. And also since it makes me tired, I take it before bed. But if I miss that window of being severely tired and don't fall asleep, then I am up for hours and hours. Still very tired, but restless. I hope to see those side effects go away after a long period of taking them."

AshleyH1989 August 18, 2015

"I started taking a very small dose of Lexapro about 7 months ago for a sudden onset of quite severe anxiety/depression. My doctor put me on 5mg because I really didn't want to be on medication. I felt a little bit of nausea, but I couldn't tell if that was the medication or just a typical side effect of my anxiety. Even the 5mg made me feel better within 2 weeks. Then, we upped my dose to 10mg a month ago, and I feel great!!! This medication has really allowed me to get back to being myself again."

catconn (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 18, 2015

"I have been on lexapro 4 days 5mg and found I have nausea and feel very restless and more anxiety I also have the a strange feeling in my leg not sure whether to keep going with medication. My heart feels like it is racing but that could be from the anxiety. Not sure I can rate this so early in taking it."

GeForce August 1, 2015

"I've just started taking Lexapro 10mg 4 days ago. I have the normal headaches, some nausea, but I also feel restlessness. I do not feel like I'm crawling out of my skin, but I feel like I can't sit still and I have some odd pain in my legs. It isn't cramping or sharp pains per say. It almost feels like a warm sensation. I also feel maybe a bit more anxiety as of now. Is the restlessness and feeling in my legs normal. I wouldn't say it is intolerable, just annoying. Should I continue through the first week? I know I can call my doctor and I plan to, but I would like to see if anyone else has experienced these side effects and if they subsided."

HeavybagsAndHope July 28, 2015

"I'm in my late twenties and I've been prescribed this medication for social anxiety and depression (I live in Canada). I had been in therapy for almost a year before starting taking it, and also doing yoga and meditation for a couple of years. I had basically tried every herb and supplement for anxiety over the years and was very stressed out and secretly suicidal when I went to my doctor. This medication saved me. At first I couldn't eat for about 10 days, no desire to put food in my dry mouth. I also felt a bit drugged and weird. After 2 weeks on the 10 mg dose I started feeling a lot better, and as the weeks went by my anxiety lowered a whole lot. I finally feel like myself, I can speak my mind and let my personality shine. I feel happy!"

xperfume (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 25, 2015

"I was initially put on Lexapro (5mg) at age 14 for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder and it helped drastically and I took it for maybe 8 months. After becoming a victim of sexual assault at age 18 and spending five years in legal battles. I was then diagnosed with (in addition to OCD) Generalized Anxiety Disorder, PTSD, and Depression. I was on Celexa for about six months and felt extreme bursts of anger so my doctor had me switch to Lexapro as my body had adapted to it well as a teen. I was placed on 10mg of Lexapro and have been doing amazing for the last year I have taken it. The first month I vomited nearly every day and was unable to drive myself more than 5 minutes but it really was worth the month of struggle."

MilitaryWife (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 22, 2015

"I have been taking two months now lexapro 10 mg and it helped with the insomnia I had due to anxiety.I was taking ambien for two years, but now with lexapro I didn't need ambien anymore to sleep."

elii July 17, 2015

"Hey guys my name is Daniel and I'm 22 years old. I just want to start of by telling u a little of my 4 years of hell I been through. First of I was 18 when I started having panic attacks for NO reason. One night I just woke up with it and didn't even know what was happening to me, I thought of course I was dying or having a heart attack. Sure enough I was healthy and had all the test ran and of course was dignozed with General Anxiety. Then the fun started, (btw I find it very helpful to talk about these horrible illness in a joking way to teach myself they aren't going to kill me only make life a little more difficult) I had horrible Anxiety attacks and life as I knew it was just impossible."

Hayez93 June 27, 2015

"I started on Lexapro about a week ago, and I'll give an update later but so far... WOW! Let me begin by adding that I'm pregnant in my 3rd trimester and I've had PTSD, severe anxiety, and depression for several years now. I heard a lot of warnings about the first few weeks, the side effects that may occur, and might I just say I'm lucky enough to have only one of them. That side effect being dry mouth which only lasts about an hour or 2 after taking it. I take 50mg of Lexapro every night before bed and I feel so much better already. The tension I had previously felt In my chest is gone and I feel like I imagine a normal personal is supposed to feel. I used to be scared to go check my mail, but now I have no problems in public."

KiahL June 15, 2015

"This is by far the best med that I have taken for my anxiety!"

Ty-Ty June 9, 2015

"My first post was 5/15/2015. Here's more. I'm doing OK, but want to share the trouble I had when increased to 20mg. I had really good days on 10 and 15 with manageable side effects. 20 threw me for a loop after a couple days - felt worse in every way - heightened anxiety and dark depression. But - it started to get better - a bad day - a good day - two bad days - two good days. This medication takes patience and a pdoc that will explain (mine didn't) all you can be in for. I feel I'm going to "win", but almost feel I deserve a prize for tolerating so many side effects. I had to resort to Xanax on the really bad days. Funny those who really need Xanax hate it? Still going to stick with Lexapro - I see the light at the end of the tunnel."

MasterGardener (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 5, 2015

"I have used lexapro long term, over two years. It is incredibly effective for my anxiety and I only get side effects if I forget to take it. 20mg once daily"

Works! (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 31, 2015

"Stress from Major life changes left me with nasty panic attacks that lead to an anxiety disorder for over a year. You name the symptom it I had it.Until you lived with an anxiety disorder you have NO idea how crippling these symptoms could be. My doctor immediately put me on Lexapro when I told her how I was feeling. I took it for 3 days and felt out of my mind. I was paralyzed with fear... I went off it and tried celexa and prozac. After these 2 drugs didn't work I gave lexapro another try. YES the side effects are horrible but they GO AWAY. I feel so much better and I'm getting control back slowly but SURELY!!"

lyn516 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 29, 2015

"Severe anxiety to the extent I could not sleep at night, coupled with depression probably brought on by the lack of sleep. I have been taking lexapro for 2 weeks now and it has already working. I now sleep a solid 7 hrs, and I feel improvement with my anxiety and depression every day. I cannot recommend lexapro enough - fantastic. Side effects lasted for approx 9 days, these included very dry throat, headaches , vivid dreams and extreme hunger. Side effects have almost all subsided and I'm feeling great"

happychappy (taken for less than 1 month) May 23, 2015

"Had to wean off Effexor because it lost effectiveness after 15+ years and started Lexapro. I did not have a good time switching because of the Lex side effects and was skeptical this drug would keep my GAD in check as Effexor had for many years. I read this blog during the first few weeks, going from 10 to 15, and now 20 mg. It's been rough - BUT - the side effects of heightened anxiety and feeling loopy are diminishing each day and I feel pretty darn good! I'm glad I stuck with it - it works. For anyone who's suffered with GAD and then had relief for years (with Effexor), revisiting bad anxiety during the first 3-4 weeks on Lexapro is scary - no one ever wants to go back to that dark place again. Get past the side effects - it's worth it."

MasterGardener May 15, 2015

"I have been on Lexapeo for a few years. I LOVE IT! Without it, I get depressed and feel a constant sense of dread in the pit of my stomach, I have frequent panic attacks that feel like my heart is going to beat out of my chest, and I my mood swings? LEGENDARY. Lexapro saved me. I have been diagnosed with Generalized Anxiety Disorder and panick attacks. Those should be enough, but I also had cancer and a miscarriage. So the depression, which has always been a thing, became a major problem. After finally having a child, the mood swing, another something that was always a thing, became horrific. No one could stand me. I've been on Lexapro since about 2010, and I have never felt better. I don't just exist. I live now."

BethGro April 30, 2015

69 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Lexapro has truly changed my life. I take it for Anxiety. I used to have anxiety everyday very bad. My heart would beat fast, and I would get butterflies in my stomach. Before I started taking it, I was very timid. Very shy and not good around big groups of people. I felt "socially awkward" ...After a few months of taking Lexapro I became so much more confident. I do well in big crowds. The only reason I did not give it 10 stars is because sometimes I do still get anxiety, but it's not nearly as bad as it used to be. I def recommend this drug for anyone who has anxiety. Give it a try. It could change your life like it changed mine.1 other thing I don't like is it does make me a little drowsy no matter what time of the day or night I take it"

Anonymous April 24, 2015

"Lexapro saved me! I started this two weeks ago and could tell a huge difference after a few days! My anxiety was getting the best of me before I started this medicine. I was having anxiety while driving in the car. I finally realized I needed something to help me. My doctor gave me Lexapro. It works! I did feel like a zombie at first but that side effect is fading away. Lexapro has given me my happiness back!"

TLDM April 24, 2015

"The first week is hard. I took it with Xanax to make sure I could sleep through the night. Get through the side effects, and it will change your life. I'm so happy. Night and day difference."

Mjfields (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 23, 2015

"I suffered from anxiety with significant episodes of depression since I was 19 (I'm 26 now). My anxiety manifested itself as hypochondria mostly. I constantly thought I had cancer, MS, or some other debilitating disease. I feared my loved ones would die or get sick as well. The worry would consume my thoughts and I would spend hours online researching these illnesses, convinced I had something. Started taking Lexapro 20 MG and I've never looked back. My hypochondria is completely gone. "Sad" moods are no longer full-blown depressive episodes. My life seems so much lighter and more manageable. There's no shame in taking medicine if you need it. I only wish I had started it sooner."

BE2015 April 13, 2015

93 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"After years on Zoloft I've been switched to Lexapro, now I'm 10 mg (targeting 20mg per day) with HUGE DIFFERENCE. No more mood swings, no more anxiety, I'm calm and happy. I'm glad I change my meds, now I feel like living person again ! It's great."

Mariusz88 April 10, 2015

"Before Lexapro I couldn't get out of bed. I was stuck in my room for 6 months straight. I didnt go anywhere. I had social anxiety. I never went to school. I cried all the time. Had anxiety with breathing problems. I was suicidal daily. NOW I'm a totally different person! I'm so happy. I never have a terrible day. Got a job, have friends, and thinking positive about my future. I now love myself. I don't obsess over pointless things now. I'm more awake and have energy. No more depression or anxiety. 20 mg right away, I love it. Its never disappointed me."

Changed my life! (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 9, 2015

"I suffered from every type of anxiety in the book. I could barely go to the grocery store. I got started on 5 mg a few weeks ago. The first week I took this I felt amazing -- more energy, more motivation, happier etc. The second week I felt horrific. So depressed and borderline suicidal (which I never dealt with before). I got scared that the meds would not work. DON'T GIVE UP. Now on the third week I feel much better. I feel like I used to mostly and normalized. Not super peppy like the first week, maybe a little more tired and slightly foggy, but nothing compared to how I felt with anxiety. Most importantly, I have ZERO obsessive thoughts. Mind you I am still eating well, no caffeine, no alcohol and exercising daily."

j12348029 (taken for less than 1 month) March 30, 2015

"I had been suffering with anxiety and panic attacks for nearly a year. I, like many others thought I had something physically wrong with me. Several trips to the ER led me to the diagnosis of anxiety disorder/panic attacks. I was prescribed Xanax which I took 3-4 times a day to try to control the anxiety. My anxiety ended up leading to depression. I started on Lexapro just over 3 weeks ago. I was initially afraid to take it but I didn't want to continue on the Xanax that often. The truth is Lexapro gave me my life back! If I would have known that it would helped me like this I could have not suffered for so long. I'm so glad I decided to try it!"

Ecstatic (taken for less than 1 month) March 29, 2015