User Reviews for Lexapro

Learn more about Lexapro.

Lexapro Rating Summary

8.7/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 7 medications used in the treatment of Generalized Anxiety Disorder.

Reviews for Lexapro to treat Generalized Anxiety Disorder

"This is the most amazing medication in the entire world! I remember back when I first was prescribed it I had so much anxiety that driving home to and from work would consume my thoughts and everything was such a big deal. I feel as though I am able to focus on positive things and do not worry all the time! This medication truly is a life changer! 10/10"

DianaSS February 2, 2016

"I was suffering with panic disorder with agoraphobia for 10 years. It started off pretty innocuous, a few trips to the ER, calling out of work... As my symptoms got worse I became more and more housebound. Going ANYWHERE, even a trip to the supermarket was miserable.I couldnt take my kids to the park.I had to quit my job because of the distance and panic attacks. I loved to travel but I could no longer get on a plane, forget getting to the airport. I literally tried everything. Finally I cracked. my doc prescribed me lexapro. I was so scared but so desperate. It has completely given me my life back. Slowly, surely, persistently I began to drive again. 2 years later I am me again. Fight through the side effects. Don't waste your life."

snjhytrwjxkakf (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 31, 2016

"I have been on 10mg of Lexapro (generic version) since 2012. It has helped me a great deal. I was prescribed the med for generalized anxiety which used to impair my ability to function - I could not sleep at all, extended period of sleep deprivation would trigger depression which was hell. I experienced panic attacks just as I would start to fall asleep; it would jolt me up and never able to fall back to sleep. I could not eat and lost a lot of weight. I got a very good doctor and he prescribed a sleeping aid with lexapro until lexapro's anti-anxiety effects kicked it. I took the sleeping aid for about 5-6 weeks until I started to sleep 4-5 hours. One big adverse side effect is weight gain.gained 25 pounds in 3 years."

BugMeNot2222 (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 23, 2016

"My doctor has been wanting me to go on Lexapro for over a year for severe GAD. But I had so much anxiety about going on it I wouldn't start it. I've been taking Buproprion & Topamax for depression & anxiety for years but it has worn off. I was to the point that thought I was always dying - and always felt sick. My regular doctor said get on Lexapro it's all stress related - there is nothing physically wrong with you. I've had anxiety my whole life and I'm 57. I have been in several abusive relationships. I haven't been in any in almost 20 years but the anxiety hasn't gone away. The first week I had a little upset stomach but nothing after that no side affects at all and now I'm calm for the first time in my life!!"

Snowy58 (taken for less than 1 month) January 13, 2016

"I have been on Lexapro 5mg (yes that's it) for over 3 months now and I'm ready to throw in the towel. First, let me say my anxiety has been greatly reduced. But at what cost? I am a zombie-I have no motivation to do anything and I'm always in a foggy state. My performance at work has greatly suffered, along with my cognitive ability. Social anxiety has gotten worse only because I'm a recluse - just too tired and unmotivated to interact with people! Frequent and strong anhedonia. I wouldn't advise you not to try lexapro- it is well regarded and often effective. But be cautious as doctors don't get that there are side effects to this besides sexual ones. I felt the same after one week as I do now but I was continually told it would go away"

TMS2803 January 10, 2016

"I was put on Lexapro by my family doctor in May after experiencing chest pain and elevated blood pressure. Test were done to make sure I wasn't experiencing a heart attack before my doctor determined that stress was my issue. For the first several weeks I had increased anxiety, loss of appetite and vivid dreams. I was quite sure this medicine wasn't for me. My doctor encouraged me to keep taking it and prescribed Ativan to help me get through some rough days. After being on Lexapro for 8 months now, I can honestly say I feel better than I have for years! I had no idea how much anxiety I had until it went away. I'm so thankful for this medicine and for my doctor who encouraged me to try it."

Jilly01 December 31, 2015

"I am 49 1/2 and today I can tell you I am happy, positive and full of hope. I am on 10mg of Lexapro just finishing up my 8th week. I also have Ativan for emergencies and I still need Ambein to sleep. Before taking Lexapro I was always anxious and easily overwhelmed. Then I had too many thing happen in a short time period that caused me to have a melt down. Three trips to the ER with one of them a short stay in a Unit after Celexa caused me to have suicidal thoughts. I was constantly worrying about everything. I couldn't eat, sleep but with Lexapro my appetite came back in just the first 3 days. I was very scared to try another drug after Celexa, but I can't tell you how happy I am to be back better then new. Take a chance."

Thereishopeagain:) (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 29, 2015

"I was prescribed lexapro for severe generalised anxiety and moderate depression (the depression was a result of the anxiety). I'm on day 16. I experienced some mild nausea and increased anxiety for the first 2 days, and headaches for about 5 days, but after day 5 the only remaining side effects are being jittery on and off, and a feeling of tightness in my chest at times. I started feeling decreased anxiety from day 3, and by day 7 the anxiety was significantly less. The depression got better from about day 5. Overall, at day 16, I feel significantly better and am living my life as I used to, for the most part."

Liz S December 28, 2015

"Like many others have written, this drug has dramatically improved my quality of life. I have been taking it for about 1 year and have been too busy feeling good to write a review. Before: I was plagued with extreme panic, afraid to be alone, afraid to take a shower, constantly worrying, "what if" scenarios, thought I would have to quit my job, lost weight because of NO appetite. Now: all I can say is pretty much living like a normal person! I do feel anxious at times, but I didn't want to turn into a robot w no feelings! I am thriving at work, socially have made new friends, can concentrate so well (this might be my favorite part), no sexual side effects whatsoever, weight maintained at a healthy level. 5mg I am so thankful for this drug"

PM12345 (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 27, 2015

"I've been taking lexapro for two months now for depression and anxiety. The first 3-4 weeks I took 10mg and I felt amazing. I had loads of energy and actually felt social for once. After those 3-4 weeks however the happy feeling faded and I was plagued with fatigue and unable to get anything done. I couldn't keep my eyes open in class or to study. So I decided to wean off of it and am now taking 5mg every other day. I still get the great feeling for about 20 after taking it, and then I feel fairly, but not as tired as I was on 10mg, and unenthused by anything. I'm not sure if I want to keep taking it or not."

Anonymous December 19, 2015

"I was started on 5mg for anxiety that was severely disabling me. I had a dreadful jittery nervous feeling all the time, couldn't lift a cup of coffee without spilling it because of the shakes, had a dreadful nauseous seasick feeling. When I started the medication I felt a lot worse for about a week but gradually I began to notice a difference. Shakes were not so bad, could hold my teeth together without chattering. Then the nausea subsided. My doctor decided to increase the dosage to 10mg. It was hell for a week. The symptoms were back with a vengeance. Then after a week they settled down, I began to feel very calm and centred and my anxiety was hugely lessened. This medication has been a lifesaver."

RaySharp (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 19, 2015

"I am on Lexapro for my anxiety and depression. I am on 10mg at first and it helps me to decrease my anxiety. Now I am on 15mg and there seems to be no effect ! I am really confuessed now! Because the medication is making me gain weight and my heart feels weird"

Anonymous December 18, 2015

"I was prescribed Lexapro 1 and 1/2 months ago for Generalized Anxiety Disorder and Depression. The first day I took it, I was a bit nauseous but that never happened again. After a week my depression improved quite a bit, but my anxiety remained. It took, I'd say, about 5 weeks for the anxiety to improve. It's not completely gone, but I am finding that I am 1. in a much better mood than I have been in a long time and 2. My worry/anxiety has definitely decreased. It hasn't changed ME, it has changed the way I look at things. I have had no other side effects, and the medication is definitely working."

Janie81 December 16, 2015

"I have been on 5mg of lex for a month and this works a bit, I have tried to go up to 10mg but than I feel like crap,so I am stuck at 5mg. Probably the only AD medication that I have ever been able to stay on.."

dosage is important December 14, 2015

"I was at the end of my rope. Having daily excessive worry, panic attacks, fear of being alone. I was given Lexapro at the hospital and now, 4 years later I owe "everything" to Lexapro. It saved my life, literally. I live a normal happy functional life. No side effects at all."

CariAnn December 12, 2015

"I've been on lexapro for the past 2 months for my bad anxiety, and it has helped tremendously. Before I was barraged with worrying thoughts day in and day out and no matter what I did, I couldn't escape them. Now I go through most days without any worry. When I do get an anxious thought, I can discard them fairly easily, in other words they don't "stick" anymore. I was also suffering from depersonalization, and this drug has significantly helped me with that by reducing my anxiety. The only downside is that the drug makes me fairly drowsy, but it isn't something I can't handle. I would greatly recommend this drug."

JDF47 December 7, 2015

"I had suffered with mild depression for quite a few years, The Dr. had prescribed several anti-depressants over the years, with mild effectiveness, so I stopped taking them. When I was in my mid 30's, I had an episode where I thought I was having a heart attack. After going to the ER, I was diagnosed with having panic disorder. I was totally embarrassed and thought I was being a hypocondriac. These panic attacks continued on and on. I had enough, and told my Dr. about it. She prescribed Lexapro. I reluctantly took it, thinking it would be like the others.I was totally wrong. I finally felt like my true self....not afraid, or anxious and no more panic attacks! I can finally live my life without fear. So thankful for this medication."

ECD20 November 25, 2015

"I started taking Lexapro nearly two years ago after struggling with generalised and social anxiety for years. I have been taking 5mg consistently. Side effects were noticeable for the first week or so but now I get none at all. No sexual side effects whatsoever. In the time I've been taking it I've relocated to a new job and had a promotion, motivation through the roof. The negative thought patterns have disappeared."

Brisbane John November 24, 2015

"When I first started taking this medication, I was determined to end it all. Four years later, I'm the happiest person I know. I still have a high sex drive, although I've known people to say that lexapro takes it away for them. I didn't gain any weight and I've learned through meditation and breathing techniques to handle what small anxiety attacks I may get in my hectic life (two jobs, an apartment, school, long distance boyfriend) and at 20 years old I'm better off than most of my friends and feel like I can accomplish anything. Lexapro saved my life."

Marytaylor November 20, 2015

"At age 59 I had my first panic attack along with anxiety that would last all day and into the evening. I was given Prozac which I believe caused the symptoms to occur. After just one week on Lexapro 20 mg my anxiety completely disappeared and I haven't had a panic attack since. I would highly recommend Lexapro for anyone suffering from depression and anxiety couples together. I don't walk in fear now I'm completely relaxed and confident! Thank God for this medication!"

Prodigious (taken for less than 1 month) November 19, 2015

"At 37 I was woken in the night by my first panic attack, I dialed 911. For 4 months I've been crippled with 24-7 severe anxiety accompanied with 2-4 panic attacks a day. Looking back I've had GAD my whole life but a stressful event finally brought it to the surface. After 3 months I sought a psychiatrist and today is day 14 on generic Lexapro (Escitalopram.) I began on 5mg and yesterday was increased to 7.5. Within 9 days I noted improvment but I had bad side effects. I made myself hang on and today I can tell you IT WORKS! I have a ways to go and will update as I progress but this medicine meant life or death to me and has in 14 days allowed me to care for myself and my kids again. Push through the side effects and give it time! It works!"

IntoTheLight (taken for less than 1 month) November 8, 2015

"The only drug that has been effective in treating my anxiety that isn't a benzo (Klonopin Xanex etc) has been Paxil CR, which reaches full efficacy within a week. Problem with the benzos that is it only lasts for a few months before I start going even more nuts than before, and the withdrawal makes me borderline suicidal. I told my primary I wanted to try something new and she prescribed the lexapro. After one week on 5mg anxiety symptoms are reduced greatly and I'm willing to try 10mg to see if they are eliminated completely but will wait out the full efficacy period before asking. No side effects (huge improvement over Paxil jitters) besides reduced libido (which I'm ok with)."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) November 5, 2015

"Stated taking Lexapro 10/22/2015. Immediately afterward, could not achieve an erection or an orgasm."

Affected My Sex Life (taken for less than 1 month) October 30, 2015

"Been on 10mg for 11 months and hardly any improvement. Been on 20mg for 2 months and it actually got worse."

AggiesMTB (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 13, 2015

"I am on 20mg lexapto for 18 months now. I feel better than I have in years however I've gained about 30lbs which is now really getting me down. I suppose I need to balance my mental health with how I look but it does get to me. Anyone else suffered with weight gain?"

Devmap (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 12, 2015