Medication Guide App

User Reviews for Lexapro

Learn more about Lexapro.

Lexapro review summary

8.8/10 Average Rating

Compare all 6 medications used in the treatment of Generalized Anxiety Disorder.

Reviews for Lexapro to treat Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Review by Mariusz88:

After years on Zoloft I've been switched to Lexapro, now I'm 10 mg (targeting 20mg per day) with HUGE DIFFERENCE. No more mood swings, no more anxiety, I'm calm and happy. I'm glad I change my meds, now I feel like living person again ! It's great.

April 10, 2015 3:25 AM

Review by Changed my life! (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Before Lexapro I couldn't get out of bed. I was stuck in my room for 6 months straight. I didnt go anywhere. I had social anxiety. I never went to school. I cried all the time. Had anxiety with breathing problems. I was suicidal daily. NOW I'm a totally different person! I'm so happy. I never have a terrible day. Got a job, have friends, and thinking positive about my future. I now love myself. I don't obsess over pointless things now. I'm more awake and have energy. No more depression or anxiety. 20 mg right away, I love it. Its never disappointed me.

April 9, 2015 8:40 PM

Review by mC1234:

I have been taking Lexapro for about 2 months now and I notice an immediate change. I suffered from bad anxiety attacks where I would have them two or three times a night. I was miserable by the time I got prescribed Lexapro. My doctor initially prescribed me Xanax to get me through until my antidepressants start working because they don't have that initial "kick" like Xanax has. I was happy that I had the Lexapro to help me with my depression, and more so anxiety. The only side effects I have noticed is weight gain and lowered sex drive. I think those are nothing compared to feeling depressed. I would recommend this antidepressant.

March 22, 2015 1:52 AM

Review by dorihe (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I am a Flight Attendant for a major airline. I went into the Flight Deck where the Captain and the First Officer sit 6 years ago and my anxiety developed from one major panic attack after another. I tried everything and I was a biggest advocate for NOT taking medicine. After a 6 year battle I started seeing a doctor of Psychology and a doctor of Psychiatry. Both advised I take Lexapro. I started taking 5 mg for a month then upped to 10 mg a month and then my doctor upped me to 20 mg per day. I have been battling going to work for six years because of Anticipatory Anxiety on an airplane. I am happy to say that I am now back to work and doing things I never thought in my mind that I could ever do. Give Lexapro a chance, its worked!

February 24, 2015 10:22 PM

Review by SparkleSwirl (taken for 2 to 5 years):

(From a teen's point of view. I am currently 14) I developed severe Emetophobia at age 6 and then after 7 years of panic attacks and anxiety, at age 13 i got to the point where I was laying in bed for hours all day everyday begging my mom for a new type of medicine (I had previously been taking Mirtazipine for 5 years and it seemed to stop working) so I got prescribed with 5mg Lexapro (liquid form) at 10 ml a day. It worked very quickly and I began to feel normal again. I was able to actually leave the house again without panicking and my anxiety decreased dramatically. It changed my life so much and has made me a lot less anxious. I didn't experience any side effects except for suicidal thoughts. those lasted for a few months.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 12, 2015 3:34 AM

Review by Katmaryland:

I've been on this about 6 months. I'm much more settled, less jumpy, way less anxious, and I've got my sense of silliness back. Yay! I have maintained my sexual interest and ability to orgasm, which is a relief. Prozac left me feeling way more anxious (and completely inorgasmic), Vibryd made me feel like jumping out of my skin and messed up my sleep for months. So... I will definitely stay on Lexapro. One note. It did make me sleepy during the day at first. I now take it at night.

January 29, 2015 9:53 AM

Review by Billh1971 (taken for less than 1 month):

I was on Celexa 20mg for a full year due to anxiety and panic attacks. The medicine was working great. I had to switch doctors and my new one suggested to a try Lexapro. She said its a cleaner and better medicine then Celexa. I said ok I'll try it. It's been two week and no side effects at all. It's been great. I'm glad I switched. I'm taking 10mg of Lexapro now which is the same as 20mg Celexa.

64 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 28, 2015 1:09 PM

This medication is fantastic. I was suffering from some major anxiety for years and this has taken a huge burden off me. There are still an occasional surge of anxiety but its an anomaly now where it used to be the norm for me. For those bad times I'll take Ativan and the combination between the two work awesome. I only take about 4 Ativan a month, the rest of the time Lexapro does the job. And I sleep SO much better.

55 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 12, 2015 3:24 PM

Review by HKJ:

I wanted to share my experience because when I first started taking Lexapro I read these boards daily searching for hope. I have always had anxiety but it was not until this summer that I started experiencing physical symptoms, I was constantly nauseous, often felt dizzy, and my heart would flutter in my chest non stop. I thought I was losing my mind and going crazy. This led to depression and a feeling of hopelessness. I went to the doctor and had every test in the book done and nothing was wrong. I was then prescribed Lexapro and the first couple weeks were rough.I started on 5mgs for two weeks and during that time I was also taking .25 Xanax a day while I got used to the Lexapro.I am now two months into 10 mg and have never felt better!

78 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 10, 2015 2:13 PM

Review by Big Cat Ninja (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I started Lexapro 9 weeks ago for mild to moderate depression and anxiety. My doctor started me at 10mg a day and I'm still taking the same dose. Honestly, the first 3 weeks were tough. No appetite, and very sleepy. My head was in a fog and I couldn't think straight. Then after the 4th week, I started to feel like my old self again. The obsessive thoughts are very minimal now and I can get over things much better. I sleep great now and feel good. I recommend Lexapro to anyone that is suffering from depression and anxiety. The depression is basically gone. The anxiety is still there sometimes, but not nearly as bad as it was. Stay patient, It works.

January 7, 2015 11:02 AM

Review by SamiC (taken for 2 to 5 years):

It saved my life. So thankful I gave it a chance.

74 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 3, 2015 8:28 AM

Review by collegegirl4184092:

My experience on this medication was a roller coaster but thank God I stayed on. I am a 21 year old college female, studied abroad in Europe with no anxiety problems, but when I came home my world came crumbling down. I couldn't work and would even throw up and pass out from anxiety. When I went on 5mg I had every side effect in the book. I wanted to get off but stuck it out. Went from 5 to 10 to 20mg, which I am on now. It took 5-6 weeks but THANK GOD I waited. I feel back to my old self and can resume my normal life. I would've been in the looney bin had it not been for Lexapro. Not a 10/10 because it took so long to work and side effects were awful at first, but they go away!

December 18, 2014 9:24 AM

Review by hellofromSouthAfrica (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Had 3 panic attacks in total..last one was big. So I went to the doctor, I was thinking I was having a stroke! After that experience I was very anxious! I could not learn or do anything! I was a mess for about a few weeks. So I my psychologist said I have Generalized anxiety disorder and of my passing of my father a few years ago and bullying in school lead to all this. I started with Lexapro and after 3 days I stopped it made me feel so sick and I had university exams coming up so I started it again 3 weeks ago and the strange thing is I have little side effects! First day I struggled with sleeping and I tend to feel tired in the morning and afternoon, But I hope that's goes away soon. Anxiety is much better. I'm on 10mg. Waiting for my best results at 4-8 weeks!

December 17, 2014 7:09 AM

Review by Jen3 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

It made me sick and severely depressed. I was waking up everyday with suicidal thoughts. It was awful

December 9, 2014 5:18 PM

Review by WorryWartNoMore (taken for 2 to 5 years):

The first week and a half I started 5mg of Lexapro was a nightmare. I would have a psychedelic experience each night when I would try to sleep. It was like my mind was wondering through the expanse of the universe. Very trippy. However, after that first week or so, that feeling went away and it has been nothing less than a miracle for anxiety. Ever since my best friend was killed in a head on collision with a drunk driver 4 years ago, I had been extremely worried and anxious that the same scenario would play out with another loved one. I would obsess over this daily and was driving myself crazy. Now that I'm on Lexapro, I don't have those feelings anymore. Sure, I worry about things sometimes, but now I'm free from obsessing.

52 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 3, 2014 9:45 AM

Review by Louis 45:

To make my story short, I suffered from Generalized Anxiety Disorder and severe panic attacks in high school. After a couple of years of psychiatric help (no medicines at the time) I was able to live a complete free panic attack life for more than 13 years. Suddenly, after two important job transfers and a couple of personal set backs, the GAD returned along with severe panic attacks that led to the hospital a couple of times. Anxiety/Panic Attacks became so severe that I was simply not capable of performing my job nor having a social life and took a plane home thinking of quitting. Fortunately, I was convinced by my doctor to take Lexapro (10mg)... what a life changer. Positive effects began to kick in 3 to 4 weeks (activation symptoms did occur for 2 weeks).

November 22, 2014 2:55 PM

Review by M L R (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I was always someone with underlining anxiety about anything. Stupid things like where is the bathroom or how hot will the airplane be. I hated flying, be passenger in cars but even with all these silly things, I never had any physical symptoms. No one know what anxiety is unless you experience the debilitating physical symptoms of it. I was an absolute mess. Was put on Celexa 10mg right away and it simply was way too much to jump on. I stopped after 4 days and freaked out thinking I was going out of my mind. Then I reluctantly started Lexapro after seeing my first Psych. He started me on 2.5mg and went up to 10 within 6 weeks. Finally a year later and total CURE! No more anxiety. You'll love this medicine.

November 16, 2014 9:26 PM

Review by Lifeguard (taken for less than 1 month):

I'm on week 1 5mg. It gave my life back. On day 7 my anxiety is like non existence. Giving it a 9 since I might not have reached the therapeutic level yet.

November 14, 2014 1:53 AM

Review by Anxious College Student:

Over the summer, I experienced my first panic attack leading to a string of additional panic attacks that followed. Subsequently, I was so overly focused on all the tics and aspects of my body, I was unable to focus or leave the house. I was getting panic attacks nearly on the daily, and had a terrible experience with the medication Viibryd, which gave me serotonin syndrome and left me awake for five straight days. Lexapro gave me my life back. It took about 4 weeks to start to really help, and 2 months to work in full strength. It allowed me for the first time in years to truly be happy, and deal with the problems of life. For those of you who just started this medicine, give it a chance because the side effects at first are very tough.

October 26, 2014 9:10 PM

Review by collegegirl1542 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Before Lexapro, my anxiety would take over my life. I would worry too much about little things and had trouble remaining calm in social situations. I had trouble sleeping and would feel sick to my stomach from all the anxiety I would get. Lexapro helped all of these symptoms for me! I am only 21 years old but I feel like it changed my whole outlook on life, and I can handle it much easier now. Little things don't get to me, and I tend to live for the moment instead of worrying about tomorrow. I feel like myself again and that I am in control, and my thoughts no longer control me. I recommend this for anxiety, or anxiety that can lead to depression. It took about a month to completely work for me, so be paitent!

162 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 19, 2014 8:56 PM

Review by undefeated:

I started having severe panic/anxiety attacks a few years ago after a traumatic experience. I used to have anxiety all day everyday. I lost weight, couldn't eat, sleep and became literally afraid of everything! I tried other meds and was frustrated after repeated failed attempts. Finally I went to see a new Doctor who convinced me to try LEXAPRO. I was skeptic at first. After a few days I noticed a major difference! I was more relaxed and felt like my old self again. There wasn't any major side effects only during the first two weeks I felt really tired but calm. But that went away after a few weeks. I continued the medication and now I can honestly say I have my life back! I gained a little weight but I manage with exercise. HIGHLY RECOMMEND.

63 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 18, 2014 9:27 PM

Review by don'tneedausername (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I suffered from moderate depression and severe anxiety most of my life. As a child, I couldn't cope with being bullied, as I turned into a teen severe anxiety took over which worsened in my twenties and peaked in my thirties (now.) After getting the shakes frequently, bursts of unexplained rage (with no outlet), panic attacks and severe discomfort in social situations worsening, I finally saw a Dr who diagnosed me with generalized anxiety disorder and put me on 10mg at first and now I'm on 20mg. I cannot stress enough how much Lexapro has helped me. Its like a magical pill that has made my life worth living again. The anxiety that once plagued me has all but disappeared, and my depression has decreased to a point where I can manage it. No side effects noted.

65 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 14, 2014 12:09 AM

Review by Rwaters123 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I've been taking Lexapro for about 2 years now and it has been a life saver. I developed anxiety disorder that gave me a constant nauseous feeling and fast heart beat. My doctor gave me Lexapro and the first few weeks was a hard adjustment and after that I felt so much better. I got my life back on track.

96 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 27, 2014 11:53 AM

Review by Jvjh:

I have been on Lexapro for 4 and a half years now and it has saved my life-

94 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 25, 2014 1:48 PM

Review by oxburger:

Have been on Sinequan/doxepin for depression for 26 years. Started a new position at work and started having anxiety issues. Doc added 10mg Lexapro to the mix in May but still having some anxiety. Starting on 20mg tonight. Hope it makes a difference. Any others notice a big change going from 10 to 20mg? It seems that when I have no anxiety (like when I take a Xanax) NOTHING gets in my way and I am damn good at my job. It's just when my head gets in the way that I get screwed up. Anyways, here's hoping!

September 22, 2014 8:53 PM