User Reviews for Lexapro

Learn more about Lexapro.

Lexapro Rating Summary

8.7/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 15 medications used in the treatment of Generalized Anxiety Disorder.

Reviews for Lexapro to treat Generalized Anxiety Disorder

"The time I been on lexapro I had mild side effects like yawning and insomnia really bad to the point I am only sleeping five hours or so...I can say it calms you but I haven't got the full effect of getting back to my old self again..."

Anonymous April 27, 2016

"Hi I started lexapro 20 mg around Dec 2015, for generalized anxiety. I was scared to take any prescribed drug due to me not wanting to get hooked on meds. My anxiety so bad that I was unable to function at all. I have two children and there was no other option for me but to try something. The first week I had insomnia, slight tremors. I would wake up every morning at 6am with it seemed to be a empty stomach. I went to the ER twice in the first week. I felt like there was no end. My husband thought it was all in my head. By week 2 every side effect started to decrease day by day. I was able to get out of bed and clean my house. I felt like I was not confined anymore. Week 4 brand new me. Try this med, it saved me and could save you!!!"

michellejob (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 22, 2016

"After four years my sweats are getting g worse and hope I don't have to stop taking this medication as it took the butterfly feel from my stomach"

thankfull (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 14, 2016

"So to start, Im not affiliated with any med companies, nor is this some fake bs review. I was you, scanning reviews all night long, just two weeks ago. I have a HUGE personal phobia of medication, in dread of any adverse side effects... and my anxiety has also come back with a vengeance over the last 2 years, and began controlling my life. I started on 5mg generic. People say it's placebo at this dose....everyone is different. I can tell you a few things: The 9th day on it I had realized most of my anxiety was gone & all my emotions, sex drive, were all in tact. 1 major problem... Insomnia for every single night, and night sweats. Couldn't sleep for more than 3 hours a night. Helped, but not the right med for me due to this. Try it!"

AnActuallyHonestReview (taken for less than 1 month) March 26, 2016

"As my nickname says I have been very quiet and most of my life. Always worried and anxious since a child, I came to the US when on my 30s and years later, I think the stresses of life and my personality put me in a severe anxiety with depression and several panic attacks. I was thinking I would die!. Went to Psychiatrist did not trust on him first time, I did not want to take the medicine and I got worse! I started taking lexapro 10 mg, it helped me so much, I had that hope on it that I didn't remember side effects. I used also the benzodizepines and ambien to be calmer and get some sleep. Like 3 months later didn't take more benzo ,and/or ambien. I have been in this medicine since March 2014, today is March 2016. Been reduced now to half"

Quiet Girl (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 22, 2016

"I rate this medication very highly. I had no history of anxiety or depression before being struck down with severe generalised anxiety (and subsequently its bff, depression). I've been on lexapro for 3 months now and my life is completely back to normal. If I still have side effects, they have normalised so that I no longer notice them. About a month ago I starting drinking wine again ( I got a reaction the first time, but was fine after that), and 3 weeks ago I started on coffee again (it made me hyperactive for the first week, then normalised). You just need to ease into it. Please don't give up on this med in the first week. It's a bit of a rough start but so worth it when you come through the other side."

Sass123 March 22, 2016

"I just started taking his medication yesterday. Ive read good teviews. I suffer from GAD and this is leading to severe depression. All i think about is my breathing which is causing me not to be able to Sleep. Im desperate and hope this med works."

Bmob2023 March 19, 2016

"anxiety/panic Started 21st Dec 2015 on 5 mg after 2 wks went up to 7.5mg for a wk then up to 10 for the next 8 wks. I felt fatigued/nauseas/headaches quit the gym, unmotivated ,bitchy/moody zombie the whole time but I was hopeful and waited for time to pass to feel better but it never happened and I ended up more depressed so I upped my dose to 15 mgs for 4 days thinking I would wait for the bad side effects to pass again , had the increased anxiety and crying spells etc so I rapidly dropped down to 5mgs for another 4 days and then quit. I had some withdrawals but not worse than the feeling of beginning Lexapro anyway. I'm now laughing and happier again with the help of " the mood cure" book & I expect it to take 2 months b4 I feel100%"

Emmalizalee March 16, 2016

"I've been on lexapro for about 8 months now. It's been so good for me! I am 24 and female. I am no longer depressed. Before I first started, I was waking up every morning with suicidal thoughts. Now all of those thoughts are gone! I am so much more social! I can talk to anyone without anxiety, and I actually want to talk to people! I have more energy and have the urge to excercize and cook myself meals. These are things I wanted to do before but depression kept me in my bed feeling hopeless. There's hope! Depression is real. Don't feel weak for taking antidepressants. It can be the first step to getting out of bed and living your life how you want to live it!"

Paigeminica March 14, 2016

"This medication saved my life. I have been struggling with anxiety for 20 years and nothing has worked. Finally decided to go on an SSRI for this and mild depression and it's like the weight has been lifted off of me. No longer am sick all of the time. No longer do my triggers affect me to the extent that they once did. I had panic attacks about taking this medication, and if you have anxiety about medication I ask you to just give it a try. If this isn't the one for you then your doctor can switch you. If you're looking for a sign to start I hope that this is it!"

Jenny456 March 10, 2016

"I have currently been on Lexapro since 2/22/16 and I am starting to feel relief from my anxiety. The first week was terrible with the side effects of headache, nausea, upset stomach and I was extremely sleepy, but starting at the end of week 2, I was able to tolerate it much better. I have noticed now at week 3 that the things that use to bother me, don't bother me anymore or at lease I feel like I can tackle them without being irritable, snappy and moody. I don't sweat the small things anymore and I have no side effects anymore. I am glad I stuck it out. I had determined in my mind that I was gonna take it for 4 weeks straight and faithful and I'm glad I did. I am so much better now. Be encouraged...there is hope!"

Wendy414 March 9, 2016

"42 year old male. Married with 2 kids. No drugs or alcohol. No history of anxiety or depression prior to this incident. Several months ago I was wrongly diagnosed with throat cancer. As it turns out I am fine and cancer free. But the fear of leaving my family without a husband/father sent me into a tail spin filled with anxiety and depression. The worst part is that I stopped sleeping. My MD put me on Xanax (.5mg) and Ambien (10mg) which only made things worse. Finally went to shrink who put me on 10 mg Lexapro that I take in the morning. The Lex has given me the strength to get off the other 2 meds completely. After 1 month she bumped me up to 20 mg. After 6 weeks anxiety gone, depression gone, and I'm sleeping again naturally"

Anonymous465 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 7, 2016

"Before beginning lexapro, I suffered from multiple dabilitating panic attacks a day. Everywhere I went, I had shortness of breath and extreme tightening in my chest and feeling as though I would pass out. I went to the hospital at one point because my bp would not come down and my boyfriend who is an EMT thought that I would start seizing my bp was so high. After that episode I started lexapro again. I was on it when I was 17, but stopped because I gained so much weight while on it. Now at 27, I've decided to try it again. It has helped immensely with my anxiety and I feel like my old self again. While I do notice weight gain again, somewhere around the 15-20 lb range, I will happily take that over feeling incapable of living."

Didksjdjdjdjsjsk February 27, 2016

"Lexapro has changed my life. I'm now out of a 2 long year depression, and have no more anxiety, no more ruminations, nothing. I feel at peace with myself, I'm feeling happier about my life every day, and have learned to forgive, love and accept myself as I am. I no longer feel shame or guilt for mistakes or my flaws. I feel incredibly positive and in control of my thoughts and feelings. Everyone will have a different experience, but at last I have found something that has truly changed my life for the better."

Ryan Faricy February 25, 2016

"Just about to start on Lexapro and have been reading all the reviews. I guess I have been suffering from nearly all the negative reviews but hoping that my experience will be positive. The only thing is, I like to have a few drinks when I get home from work so will need to give these up so that will be challenging. Any tips from anyone?"

Delorean February 25, 2016

"I'm on day 5 of half a tablet. Pretty much getting all side effects that I don't want. Brain not slowing down, insomnia, nausea, less sex drive, no appetite and headaches. However, having read all the reviews today I will persist. Like everything in life, we have to give it a go. My manic depression has been up and down all my life and I've been mainly on Zoloft in the past but that just didn't work in the end. I will give the the four weeks but think I will stick to half tablet. Thanks to everyone for sharing your stories, you inspired me to take today's tablet. Here's hoping I will be back to functioning with a less hyper mood swinging personality soon."

Trusso1969 February 20, 2016

"The best drug I've taken."

Hoping for better February 15, 2016

"This is the most amazing medication in the entire world! I remember back when I first was prescribed it I had so much anxiety that driving home to and from work would consume my thoughts and everything was such a big deal. I feel as though I am able to focus on positive things and do not worry all the time! This medication truly is a life changer! 10/10"

DianaSS February 2, 2016

"I was suffering with panic disorder with agoraphobia for 10 years. It started off pretty innocuous, a few trips to the ER, calling out of work... As my symptoms got worse I became more and more housebound. Going ANYWHERE, even a trip to the supermarket was miserable.I couldnt take my kids to the park.I had to quit my job because of the distance and panic attacks. I loved to travel but I could no longer get on a plane, forget getting to the airport. I literally tried everything. Finally I cracked. my doc prescribed me lexapro. I was so scared but so desperate. It has completely given me my life back. Slowly, surely, persistently I began to drive again. 2 years later I am me again. Fight through the side effects. Don't waste your life."

snjhytrwjxkakf (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 31, 2016

"I have been on 10mg of Lexapro (generic version) since 2012. It has helped me a great deal. I was prescribed the med for generalized anxiety which used to impair my ability to function - I could not sleep at all, extended period of sleep deprivation would trigger depression which was hell. I experienced panic attacks just as I would start to fall asleep; it would jolt me up and never able to fall back to sleep. I could not eat and lost a lot of weight. I got a very good doctor and he prescribed a sleeping aid with lexapro until lexapro's anti-anxiety effects kicked it. I took the sleeping aid for about 5-6 weeks until I started to sleep 4-5 hours. One big adverse side effect is weight gain.gained 25 pounds in 3 years."

BugMeNot2222 (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 23, 2016

"My doctor has been wanting me to go on Lexapro for over a year for severe GAD. But I had so much anxiety about going on it I wouldn't start it. I've been taking Buproprion & Topamax for depression & anxiety for years but it has worn off. I was to the point that thought I was always dying - and always felt sick. My regular doctor said get on Lexapro it's all stress related - there is nothing physically wrong with you. I've had anxiety my whole life and I'm 57. I have been in several abusive relationships. I haven't been in any in almost 20 years but the anxiety hasn't gone away. The first week I had a little upset stomach but nothing after that no side affects at all and now I'm calm for the first time in my life!!"

Snowy58 (taken for less than 1 month) January 13, 2016

"I have been on Lexapro 5mg (yes that's it) for over 3 months now and I'm ready to throw in the towel. First, let me say my anxiety has been greatly reduced. But at what cost? I am a zombie-I have no motivation to do anything and I'm always in a foggy state. My performance at work has greatly suffered, along with my cognitive ability. Social anxiety has gotten worse only because I'm a recluse - just too tired and unmotivated to interact with people! Frequent and strong anhedonia. I wouldn't advise you not to try lexapro- it is well regarded and often effective. But be cautious as doctors don't get that there are side effects to this besides sexual ones. I felt the same after one week as I do now but I was continually told it would go away"

TMS2803 January 10, 2016

"I was put on Lexapro by my family doctor in May after experiencing chest pain and elevated blood pressure. Test were done to make sure I wasn't experiencing a heart attack before my doctor determined that stress was my issue. For the first several weeks I had increased anxiety, loss of appetite and vivid dreams. I was quite sure this medicine wasn't for me. My doctor encouraged me to keep taking it and prescribed Ativan to help me get through some rough days. After being on Lexapro for 8 months now, I can honestly say I feel better than I have for years! I had no idea how much anxiety I had until it went away. I'm so thankful for this medicine and for my doctor who encouraged me to try it."

Jilly01 December 31, 2015

"I am 49 1/2 and today I can tell you I am happy, positive and full of hope. I am on 10mg of Lexapro just finishing up my 8th week. I also have Ativan for emergencies and I still need Ambein to sleep. Before taking Lexapro I was always anxious and easily overwhelmed. Then I had too many thing happen in a short time period that caused me to have a melt down. Three trips to the ER with one of them a short stay in a Unit after Celexa caused me to have suicidal thoughts. I was constantly worrying about everything. I couldn't eat, sleep but with Lexapro my appetite came back in just the first 3 days. I was very scared to try another drug after Celexa, but I can't tell you how happy I am to be back better then new. Take a chance."

Thereishopeagain:) (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 29, 2015

"I was prescribed lexapro for severe generalised anxiety and moderate depression (the depression was a result of the anxiety). I'm on day 16. I experienced some mild nausea and increased anxiety for the first 2 days, and headaches for about 5 days, but after day 5 the only remaining side effects are being jittery on and off, and a feeling of tightness in my chest at times. I started feeling decreased anxiety from day 3, and by day 7 the anxiety was significantly less. The depression got better from about day 5. Overall, at day 16, I feel significantly better and am living my life as I used to, for the most part."

Liz S December 28, 2015