User Reviews for Lexapro

Learn more about Lexapro.

Lexapro review summary

8.8/10 Average Rating

Compare all 6 medications used in the treatment of Generalized Anxiety Disorder.

Reviews for Lexapro to treat Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Review by Katmaryland:

I've been on this about 6 months. I'm much more settled, less jumpy, way less anxious, and I've got my sense of silliness back. Yay! I have maintained my sexual interest and ability to orgasm, which is a relief. Prozac left me feeling way more anxious (and completely inorgasmic), Vibryd made me feel like jumping out of my skin and messed up my sleep for months. So... I will definitely stay on Lexapro. One note. It did make me sleepy during the day at first. I now take it at night.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 29, 2015 9:53 AM

Review by Billh1971 (taken for less than 1 month):

I was on Celexa 20mg for a full year due to anxiety and panic attacks. The medicine was working great. I had to switch doctors and my new one suggested to a try Lexapro. She said its a cleaner and better medicine then Celexa. I said ok I'll try it. It's been two week and no side effects at all. It's been great. I'm glad I switched. I'm taking 10mg of Lexapro now which is the same as 20mg Celexa.

January 28, 2015 1:09 PM

This medication is fantastic. I was suffering from some major anxiety for years and this has taken a huge burden off me. There are still an occasional surge of anxiety but its an anomaly now where it used to be the norm for me. For those bad times I'll take Ativan and the combination between the two work awesome. I only take about 4 Ativan a month, the rest of the time Lexapro does the job. And I sleep SO much better.

January 12, 2015 3:24 PM

Review by HKJ:

I wanted to share my experience because when I first started taking Lexapro I read these boards daily searching for hope. I have always had anxiety but it was not until this summer that I started experiencing physical symptoms, I was constantly nauseous, often felt dizzy, and my heart would flutter in my chest non stop. I thought I was losing my mind and going crazy. This led to depression and a feeling of hopelessness. I went to the doctor and had every test in the book done and nothing was wrong. I was then prescribed Lexapro and the first couple weeks were rough.I started on 5mgs for two weeks and during that time I was also taking .25 Xanax a day while I got used to the Lexapro.I am now two months into 10 mg and have never felt better!

January 10, 2015 2:13 PM

Review by Big Cat Ninja (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I started Lexapro 9 weeks ago for mild to moderate depression and anxiety. My doctor started me at 10mg a day and I'm still taking the same dose. Honestly, the first 3 weeks were tough. No appetite, and very sleepy. My head was in a fog and I couldn't think straight. Then after the 4th week, I started to feel like my old self again. The obsessive thoughts are very minimal now and I can get over things much better. I sleep great now and feel good. I recommend Lexapro to anyone that is suffering from depression and anxiety. The depression is basically gone. The anxiety is still there sometimes, but not nearly as bad as it was. Stay patient, It works.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 7, 2015 11:02 AM

Review by SamiC (taken for 2 to 5 years):

It saved my life. So thankful I gave it a chance.

January 3, 2015 8:28 AM

Review by collegegirl4184092:

My experience on this medication was a roller coaster but thank God I stayed on. I am a 21 year old college female, studied abroad in Europe with no anxiety problems, but when I came home my world came crumbling down. I couldn't work and would even throw up and pass out from anxiety. When I went on 5mg I had every side effect in the book. I wanted to get off but stuck it out. Went from 5 to 10 to 20mg, which I am on now. It took 5-6 weeks but THANK GOD I waited. I feel back to my old self and can resume my normal life. I would've been in the looney bin had it not been for Lexapro. Not a 10/10 because it took so long to work and side effects were awful at first, but they go away!

December 18, 2014 9:24 AM

Review by hellofromSouthAfrica (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Had 3 panic attacks in total..last one was big. So I went to the doctor, I was thinking I was having a stroke! After that experience I was very anxious! I could not learn or do anything! I was a mess for about a few weeks. So I my psychologist said I have Generalized anxiety disorder and of my passing of my father a few years ago and bullying in school lead to all this. I started with Lexapro and after 3 days I stopped it made me feel so sick and I had university exams coming up so I started it again 3 weeks ago and the strange thing is I have little side effects! First day I struggled with sleeping and I tend to feel tired in the morning and afternoon, But I hope that's goes away soon. Anxiety is much better. I'm on 10mg. Waiting for my best results at 4-8 weeks!

December 17, 2014 7:09 AM

Review by Jen3 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

It made me sick and severely depressed. I was waking up everyday with suicidal thoughts. It was awful

December 9, 2014 5:18 PM

Review by WorryWartNoMore (taken for 2 to 5 years):

The first week and a half I started 5mg of Lexapro was a nightmare. I would have a psychedelic experience each night when I would try to sleep. It was like my mind was wondering through the expanse of the universe. Very trippy. However, after that first week or so, that feeling went away and it has been nothing less than a miracle for anxiety. Ever since my best friend was killed in a head on collision with a drunk driver 4 years ago, I had been extremely worried and anxious that the same scenario would play out with another loved one. I would obsess over this daily and was driving myself crazy. Now that I'm on Lexapro, I don't have those feelings anymore. Sure, I worry about things sometimes, but now I'm free from obsessing.

December 3, 2014 9:45 AM

Review by Louis 45:

To make my story short, I suffered from Generalized Anxiety Disorder and severe panic attacks in high school. After a couple of years of psychiatric help (no medicines at the time) I was able to live a complete free panic attack life for more than 13 years. Suddenly, after two important job transfers and a couple of personal set backs, the GAD returned along with severe panic attacks that led to the hospital a couple of times. Anxiety/Panic Attacks became so severe that I was simply not capable of performing my job nor having a social life and took a plane home thinking of quitting. Fortunately, I was convinced by my doctor to take Lexapro (10mg)... what a life changer. Positive effects began to kick in 3 to 4 weeks (activation symptoms did occur for 2 weeks).

November 22, 2014 2:55 PM

Review by M L R (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I was always someone with underlining anxiety about anything. Stupid things like where is the bathroom or how hot will the airplane be. I hated flying, be passenger in cars but even with all these silly things, I never had any physical symptoms. No one know what anxiety is unless you experience the debilitating physical symptoms of it. I was an absolute mess. Was put on Celexa 10mg right away and it simply was way too much to jump on. I stopped after 4 days and freaked out thinking I was going out of my mind. Then I reluctantly started Lexapro after seeing my first Psych. He started me on 2.5mg and went up to 10 within 6 weeks. Finally a year later and total CURE! No more anxiety. You'll love this medicine.

November 16, 2014 9:26 PM

Review by Lifeguard (taken for less than 1 month):

I'm on week 1 5mg. It gave my life back. On day 7 my anxiety is like non existence. Giving it a 9 since I might not have reached the therapeutic level yet.

November 14, 2014 1:53 AM

Review by Anxious College Student:

Over the summer, I experienced my first panic attack leading to a string of additional panic attacks that followed. Subsequently, I was so overly focused on all the tics and aspects of my body, I was unable to focus or leave the house. I was getting panic attacks nearly on the daily, and had a terrible experience with the medication Viibryd, which gave me serotonin syndrome and left me awake for five straight days. Lexapro gave me my life back. It took about 4 weeks to start to really help, and 2 months to work in full strength. It allowed me for the first time in years to truly be happy, and deal with the problems of life. For those of you who just started this medicine, give it a chance because the side effects at first are very tough.

56 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 26, 2014 9:10 PM

Review by collegegirl1542 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Before Lexapro, my anxiety would take over my life. I would worry too much about little things and had trouble remaining calm in social situations. I had trouble sleeping and would feel sick to my stomach from all the anxiety I would get. Lexapro helped all of these symptoms for me! I am only 21 years old but I feel like it changed my whole outlook on life, and I can handle it much easier now. Little things don't get to me, and I tend to live for the moment instead of worrying about tomorrow. I feel like myself again and that I am in control, and my thoughts no longer control me. I recommend this for anxiety, or anxiety that can lead to depression. It took about a month to completely work for me, so be paitent!

145 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 19, 2014 8:56 PM

Review by undefeated:

I started having severe panic/anxiety attacks a few years ago after a traumatic experience. I used to have anxiety all day everyday. I lost weight, couldn't eat, sleep and became literally afraid of everything! I tried other meds and was frustrated after repeated failed attempts. Finally I went to see a new Doctor who convinced me to try LEXAPRO. I was skeptic at first. After a few days I noticed a major difference! I was more relaxed and felt like my old self again. There wasn't any major side effects only during the first two weeks I felt really tired but calm. But that went away after a few weeks. I continued the medication and now I can honestly say I have my life back! I gained a little weight but I manage with exercise. HIGHLY RECOMMEND.

October 18, 2014 9:27 PM

Review by don'tneedausername (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I suffered from moderate depression and severe anxiety most of my life. As a child, I couldn't cope with being bullied, as I turned into a teen severe anxiety took over which worsened in my twenties and peaked in my thirties (now.) After getting the shakes frequently, bursts of unexplained rage (with no outlet), panic attacks and severe discomfort in social situations worsening, I finally saw a Dr who diagnosed me with generalized anxiety disorder and put me on 10mg at first and now I'm on 20mg. I cannot stress enough how much Lexapro has helped me. Its like a magical pill that has made my life worth living again. The anxiety that once plagued me has all but disappeared, and my depression has decreased to a point where I can manage it. No side effects noted.

October 14, 2014 12:09 AM

Review by Rwaters123 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I've been taking Lexapro for about 2 years now and it has been a life saver. I developed anxiety disorder that gave me a constant nauseous feeling and fast heart beat. My doctor gave me Lexapro and the first few weeks was a hard adjustment and after that I felt so much better. I got my life back on track.

89 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 27, 2014 11:53 AM

Review by Jvjh:

I have been on Lexapro for 4 and a half years now and it has saved my life-

85 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 25, 2014 1:48 PM

Review by oxburger:

Have been on Sinequan/doxepin for depression for 26 years. Started a new position at work and started having anxiety issues. Doc added 10mg Lexapro to the mix in May but still having some anxiety. Starting on 20mg tonight. Hope it makes a difference. Any others notice a big change going from 10 to 20mg? It seems that when I have no anxiety (like when I take a Xanax) NOTHING gets in my way and I am damn good at my job. It's just when my head gets in the way that I get screwed up. Anyways, here's hoping!

September 22, 2014 8:53 PM

Review by Bobble4238:

After several stressful life events I developed an anxiety disorder which quickly evolved into depression. Originally I started on Citalopram which wasn't great, only reduced anxiety by 10% at most, pumped Citalopram up to 30mg/ day, no great improvement. Saw a psychiatrist (who worked with me to start the medication merry-go-round) and started Escitalopram (Lexapro). Lexapro had much the same effect as the Celexa but the mood improved a little. We raised Lexapro from 20-30mg/ day and the anxiety MELTED away, the effect was very pronounced, not totally stress free but no panic attacks and no ever constant anxiety. Tiredness was an issue so we've added 5mg/day Edronax (NRI) which has been excellent. Find what works for you - be strong.

69 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 2, 2014 8:05 PM

Review by Coco.30:

After a lot of personal trauma in my family, I developed panic disorder, anxiety and mild depression. I tried all natural options and was so against medication. For 3 months I felt miserable, brain fog, confusion, poor memory, crying daily etc to the point I started feeling suicidal. The doc put me on Lexapro 5mg for 1st week and 10 mg since. I'm on it 7 weeks now. First few weeks were tough going, every side effect going I had. Wrecked in the morning so I take it at night now. I sleep fine, bit teary still but nothing like before. I over think a lot still but I can control it better now. This medication has really helped! I'm hoping to wean off it after 6-8 months. Don't give up.

74 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 24, 2014 5:57 PM

Review by MCBerry:

Really helps to stabilize the constant anxiety I've experienced before starting this medicine. I've noticed that the dose that works best for my generalized anxiety disorder is 20mg, but I've also gained 20lbs since starting this medicine despite being active. I'm curious to know what dosage of this medicine has worked for your condition and how you manage the weight gain on this pill.

August 19, 2014 5:51 PM

Review by Hummingbird1304 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I've been on this medicine for approximately 4 mos. I had pretty severe and constant anxiety. The first 3 weeks on this medicine were hell. Severe panic attacks, loss of palette and teeth/jaw clenching. I'm glad I hung on there because the anxiety has almost completely subsided. Only sometimes can I feel the anxiety wanting to surface but it never fully does. This medicine has been a God send. My husband has noticed a huge difference in me. I have gained a small amount of weight and feel a little more "scatterbrained" sometimes. However, that's better than constantly obsessing over every detail!

67 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 12, 2014 8:50 PM

Review by Curlz (taken for 5 to 10 years):

First and foremost, like so many others on here--Lexapro saved my life. I was not necessarily suicidal, but litterally, had no life and was scared all the time. For the most part no one knew what I was dealing with, I was a highly respected professional who somehow managed to keep it to herself. I would sneak off to bathrooms all the time to go in a stall and calm down, if no one was in there, I would indulge on laying on the cold tile floor to just try and cool myself off. I stopped going to movies, on dates, church, anything where I felt trapped. I was not afraid of flying, I was afraid of when the time between take off and when the captain turned off the seat belt sign. This medicine gave ME back, 5 years strong.

168 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 21, 2014 3:02 PM