User Reviews for Lexapro

Learn more about Lexapro.

Lexapro review summary

8.7/10 Average Rating

Compare all 6 medications used in the treatment of Generalized Anxiety Disorder.

Reviews for Lexapro to treat Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Review by SamiC (taken for 2 to 5 years):

It saved my life. So thankful I gave it a chance.

January 3, 2015 8:28 AM

Review by collegegirl4184092:

My experience on this medication was a roller coaster but thank God I stayed on. I am a 21 year old college female, studied abroad in Europe with no anxiety problems, but when I came home my world came crumbling down. I couldn't work and would even throw up and pass out from anxiety. When I went on 5mg I had every side effect in the book. I wanted to get off but stuck it out. Went from 5 to 10 to 20mg, which I am on now. It took 5-6 weeks but THANK GOD I waited. I feel back to my old self and can resume my normal life. I would've been in the looney bin had it not been for Lexapro. Not a 10/10 because it took so long to work and side effects were awful at first, but they go away!

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 18, 2014 9:24 AM

Review by Jen3 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

It made me sick and severely depressed. I was waking up everyday with suicidal thoughts. It was awful

December 9, 2014 5:18 PM

Review by WorryWartNoMore (taken for 2 to 5 years):

The first week and a half I started 5mg of Lexapro was a nightmare. I would have a psychedelic experience each night when I would try to sleep. It was like my mind was wondering through the expanse of the universe. Very trippy. However, after that first week or so, that feeling went away and it has been nothing less than a miracle for anxiety. Ever since my best friend was killed in a head on collision with a drunk driver 4 years ago, I had been extremely worried and anxious that the same scenario would play out with another loved one. I would obsess over this daily and was driving myself crazy. Now that I'm on Lexapro, I don't have those feelings anymore. Sure, I worry about things sometimes, but now I'm free from obsessing.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 3, 2014 9:45 AM

Review by Louis 45:

To make my story short, I suffered from Generalized Anxiety Disorder and severe panic attacks in high school. After a couple of years of psychiatric help (no medicines at the time) I was able to live a complete free panic attack life for more than 13 years. Suddenly, after two important job transfers and a couple of personal set backs, the GAD returned along with severe panic attacks that led to the hospital a couple of times. Anxiety/Panic Attacks became so severe that I was simply not capable of performing my job nor having a social life and took a plane home thinking of quitting. Fortunately, I was convinced by my doctor to take Lexapro (10mg)... what a life changer. Positive effects began to kick in 3 to 4 weeks (activation symptoms did occur for 2 weeks).

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 22, 2014 2:55 PM

Review by M L R (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I was always someone with underlining anxiety about anything. Stupid things like where is the bathroom or how hot will the airplane be. I hated flying, be passenger in cars but even with all these silly things, I never had any physical symptoms. No one know what anxiety is unless you experience the debilitating physical symptoms of it. I was an absolute mess. Was put on Celexa 10mg right away and it simply was way too much to jump on. I stopped after 4 days and freaked out thinking I was going out of my mind. Then I reluctantly started Lexapro after seeing my first Psych. He started me on 2.5mg and went up to 10 within 6 weeks. Finally a year later and total CURE! No more anxiety. You'll love this medicine.

November 16, 2014 9:26 PM

Review by Lifeguard (taken for less than 1 month):

I'm on week 1 5mg. It gave my life back. On day 7 my anxiety is like non existence. Giving it a 9 since I might not have reached the therapeutic level yet.

November 14, 2014 1:53 AM

Review by Anxious College Student:

Over the summer, I experienced my first panic attack leading to a string of additional panic attacks that followed. Subsequently, I was so overly focused on all the tics and aspects of my body, I was unable to focus or leave the house. I was getting panic attacks nearly on the daily, and had a terrible experience with the medication Viibryd, which gave me serotonin syndrome and left me awake for five straight days. Lexapro gave me my life back. It took about 4 weeks to start to really help, and 2 months to work in full strength. It allowed me for the first time in years to truly be happy, and deal with the problems of life. For those of you who just started this medicine, give it a chance because the side effects at first are very tough.

October 26, 2014 9:10 PM

Review by collegegirl1542 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Before Lexapro, my anxiety would take over my life. I would worry too much about little things and had trouble remaining calm in social situations. I had trouble sleeping and would feel sick to my stomach from all the anxiety I would get. Lexapro helped all of these symptoms for me! I am only 21 years old but I feel like it changed my whole outlook on life, and I can handle it much easier now. Little things don't get to me, and I tend to live for the moment instead of worrying about tomorrow. I feel like myself again and that I am in control, and my thoughts no longer control me. I recommend this for anxiety, or anxiety that can lead to depression. It took about a month to completely work for me, so be paitent!

132 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 19, 2014 8:56 PM

Review by undefeated:

I started having severe panic/anxiety attacks a few years ago after a traumatic experience. I used to have anxiety all day everyday. I lost weight, couldn't eat, sleep and became literally afraid of everything! I tried other meds and was frustrated after repeated failed attempts. Finally I went to see a new Doctor who convinced me to try LEXAPRO. I was skeptic at first. After a few days I noticed a major difference! I was more relaxed and felt like my old self again. There wasn't any major side effects only during the first two weeks I felt really tired but calm. But that went away after a few weeks. I continued the medication and now I can honestly say I have my life back! I gained a little weight but I manage with exercise. HIGHLY RECOMMEND.

October 18, 2014 9:27 PM

Review by don'tneedausername (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I suffered from moderate depression and severe anxiety most of my life. As a child, I couldn't cope with being bullied, as I turned into a teen severe anxiety took over which worsened in my twenties and peaked in my thirties (now.) After getting the shakes frequently, bursts of unexplained rage (with no outlet), panic attacks and severe discomfort in social situations worsening, I finally saw a Dr who diagnosed me with generalized anxiety disorder and put me on 10mg at first and now I'm on 20mg. I cannot stress enough how much Lexapro has helped me. Its like a magical pill that has made my life worth living again. The anxiety that once plagued me has all but disappeared, and my depression has decreased to a point where I can manage it. No side effects noted.

October 14, 2014 12:09 AM

Review by Rwaters123 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I've been taking Lexapro for about 2 years now and it has been a life saver. I developed anxiety disorder that gave me a constant nauseous feeling and fast heart beat. My doctor gave me Lexapro and the first few weeks was a hard adjustment and after that I felt so much better. I got my life back on track.

80 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 27, 2014 11:53 AM

Review by Jvjh:

I have been on Lexapro for 4 and a half years now and it has saved my life-

78 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 25, 2014 1:48 PM

Review by oxburger:

Have been on Sinequan/doxepin for depression for 26 years. Started a new position at work and started having anxiety issues. Doc added 10mg Lexapro to the mix in May but still having some anxiety. Starting on 20mg tonight. Hope it makes a difference. Any others notice a big change going from 10 to 20mg? It seems that when I have no anxiety (like when I take a Xanax) NOTHING gets in my way and I am damn good at my job. It's just when my head gets in the way that I get screwed up. Anyways, here's hoping!

September 22, 2014 8:53 PM

Review by Bobble4238:

After several stressful life events I developed an anxiety disorder which quickly evolved into depression. Originally I started on Citalopram which wasn't great, only reduced anxiety by 10% at most, pumped Citalopram up to 30mg/ day, no great improvement. Saw a psychiatrist (who worked with me to start the medication merry-go-round) and started Escitalopram (Lexapro). Lexapro had much the same effect as the Celexa but the mood improved a little. We raised Lexapro from 20-30mg/ day and the anxiety MELTED away, the effect was very pronounced, not totally stress free but no panic attacks and no ever constant anxiety. Tiredness was an issue so we've added 5mg/day Edronax (NRI) which has been excellent. Find what works for you - be strong.

65 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 2, 2014 8:05 PM

Review by Coco.30:

After a lot of personal trauma in my family, I developed panic disorder, anxiety and mild depression. I tried all natural options and was so against medication. For 3 months I felt miserable, brain fog, confusion, poor memory, crying daily etc to the point I started feeling suicidal. The doc put me on Lexapro 5mg for 1st week and 10 mg since. I'm on it 7 weeks now. First few weeks were tough going, every side effect going I had. Wrecked in the morning so I take it at night now. I sleep fine, bit teary still but nothing like before. I over think a lot still but I can control it better now. This medication has really helped! I'm hoping to wean off it after 6-8 months. Don't give up.

67 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 24, 2014 5:57 PM

Review by MCBerry:

Really helps to stabilize the constant anxiety I've experienced before starting this medicine. I've noticed that the dose that works best for my generalized anxiety disorder is 20mg, but I've also gained 20lbs since starting this medicine despite being active. I'm curious to know what dosage of this medicine has worked for your condition and how you manage the weight gain on this pill.

August 19, 2014 5:51 PM

Review by Hummingbird1304 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I've been on this medicine for approximately 4 mos. I had pretty severe and constant anxiety. The first 3 weeks on this medicine were hell. Severe panic attacks, loss of palette and teeth/jaw clenching. I'm glad I hung on there because the anxiety has almost completely subsided. Only sometimes can I feel the anxiety wanting to surface but it never fully does. This medicine has been a God send. My husband has noticed a huge difference in me. I have gained a small amount of weight and feel a little more "scatterbrained" sometimes. However, that's better than constantly obsessing over every detail!

61 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 12, 2014 8:50 PM

Review by Curlz (taken for 5 to 10 years):

First and foremost, like so many others on here--Lexapro saved my life. I was not necessarily suicidal, but litterally, had no life and was scared all the time. For the most part no one knew what I was dealing with, I was a highly respected professional who somehow managed to keep it to herself. I would sneak off to bathrooms all the time to go in a stall and calm down, if no one was in there, I would indulge on laying on the cold tile floor to just try and cool myself off. I stopped going to movies, on dates, church, anything where I felt trapped. I was not afraid of flying, I was afraid of when the time between take off and when the captain turned off the seat belt sign. This medicine gave ME back, 5 years strong.

155 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 21, 2014 3:02 PM

Review by Bikebke:

Good

June 21, 2014 1:18 PM

Review by Lizzy15:

I suffered (still do) from generalized anxiety disorder. About 4 months ago I finally had to do something. My anxiety got so bad that I couldn't do anything, and I didn't want to do anything! School didn't interest me, I never wanted to go out with my friends, and the symptoms were so bad that all I wanted to do was stay in bed. (dizziness, fatigue, muscle aches, panic attacks, and waking up out of nowhere during the night) I went to my doctor and he prescribed me 10mg of Lexapro. At first, I was scared to take it but I finally was like WHAT THE HECK?! This might help me. And it did. The first week or two I felt dizzy like I was swaying back and fourth, and the dry mouth was annoying but I got used to it. This medication makes me feel like a new person!

98 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 10, 2014 11:55 PM

Review by Rozer (taken for less than 1 month):

Completely numbed me, gave me horrible panic attacks. Even when I'd gotten used to the medication my panic attacks turned into a deep depression and felt completely lifeless. 5 weeks in I couldn't do it anymore

June 4, 2014 12:06 AM

Review by Anonymous12345663311 (taken for less than 1 month):

Been on this medication for almost a week. Within the first two days I had stopped having panic attacks, down from around two-three a day. Side effects are minor, at least to me. I get hungry a lot, and sometimes can't sleep properly, but both of those are essentially the same as how it was before, so I'm used to it.

June 3, 2014 12:13 AM

Review by ccbarista (taken for 1 to 6 months):

It was not fun for the first couple weeks. I was dizzy, couldn't sleep, nauseous, and couldn't eat. I lost 6 pounds, which doesn't seem like a lot, but I'm an already thin 5'8" female who went from 120 to 114lbs in a matter of days. Moving past this, Lexapro has helped me so much. I'm also on Lamictal, so the combination is working well for me. I actually feel like I can talk to people, whereas before I was so scared of being judged that I couldn't even talk to customers at work. I can now ask people to hang out. I'm still very self conscious (I won't pretend it's a miracle medicine that fixes everything), but it has gotten me to a place where I can actually start working on improvement, whereas before I was so paralyzed I couldn't even begin.

May 11, 2014 9:37 PM

Review by xx0011all:

Lexapro has honestly saved my life. I have been dealing with Anxiety and obsessive compulsive disorder my entire life and have tried multiple medications, nothing has worked, this is amazing. I would say before Lexapro my anxiety on a scale of 1-10 was a 10 EVERY SINGLE DAY. Now its at 0! Sometimes maybe a 1. It has given me my life back!

139 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 23, 2014 3:17 PM