User Reviews for Duloxetine

Also known as: Cymbalta

Learn more about Duloxetine.

Duloxetine Review Summary

7.0/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 62 medications used in the treatment of Bipolar Disorder.

Reviews for Duloxetine to treat Bipolar Disorder

"This antidepressant literally saved my life. I had tried every other medication for bipolar depression, and nothing worked, not even a little. Then after 2 weeks on Cymbalta, the feelings of worthlessness and hopelessness subsided, my mood changed dramatically for the better, I could actually concentrate, and I've had no problems with taking it after a solid 2 months. I would call this a miracle pill for those with unmanageable bipolar depression."

justinian February 28, 2014

"I have BiPolar Disorder 1. My biggest problem has always been crippling depression of the type that causes me to become non-functional. My manias have been bad but not as dramatic as some - mostly career self sabotage. But severe manias have been few and far between. Here's the deal for me: Cymbalta works. It lifts the fog, lessens the awful physical pain, stops the anxiety, and keeps me from lying in bed too hopeless to even believe death would help. At 60 mg., it gives me some mild mania - just enough to let me live my life- but not enough to make me wild. It messes up sex some, but not near as much as Zoloft & others. I take it with Wellbutrin 300 XL. Stopped it once because of dollars - but never again."

Cjwnhb March 7, 2013

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "I have been taking Cymbalta for the second time after going off it cold turkey 5 months previous (wouldn't recommend it). I have found in the last week feeling very hyped up again the depression is not as bad but the hyped up feeling is becoming hard to control. I'm on the 30 mg only sexual disinterest and constant feeling of wanting to go the toilet are a little frustrating."

Anonymous November 14, 2011

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "While on Cymbalta I became suicidal. "

MGO627 September 16, 2011

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "This is the 2nd time using this medicine. The 1st time it rid me of the severe depressive cycle I was in, but the mania crept back in very slowly so I didn't notice it until it was too late. And by late, I mean "all over the place" so I stopped taking it. This time around I am taking it coupled with Lamictal. The cycles are normalizing now after just over 2 months. Want to add that I put myself on a sleeping schedule and use medicine if I need it after 20 minutes of no sleep. This sleep program has helped tremendously."

N3GU September 14, 2011

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "As someone else pointed out that they have like 0.02% of side effects. That's me... my psychiatrist has to look up my side effects because they are so random and uncommon. I tell everyone Cymbalta saved my life. I have battled blood pressure for 10 years and have been on 27 different medicines for it. Although, I luckily do not have a severe case of blood pressure, I do need to learn how to handle stress better and went on Cymbalta after a nervous breakdown that put me in the hospital. Was put on Cymbalta and Depakote, the best medicines ever. 16 months later and 70 pounds heavier, I am doing great. Weight gain was from Depakote, and so I got off of that 3 months ago, but Cymbalta is still keeping me afloat."

Anonymous July 28, 2011

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "I battled with Bipolar I since 1992 but never experience major depression until mid-2009 and it was terrible, lots of crying, despair, horrible guilt, just hating myself. I tried 2-3 anti-depressant when I finally found a M.D. who would let me try one (they are so concerned you will spiral up into a manic attack). I then tried Cymbalta (60mg) and the depression is most days just gone. I have had some bad days like everyone; a few times when crying, regretting etc. would start, it seems it was capped off and subsided quickly. I continue to have significant constipation and hand tremor. I eat a lot more fiber in my diet and take 2 natural fiber pills a day to help with the constipation. Cutting back on caffeine helps the hand tremor."

Anonymous May 5, 2011

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "DO NOT TAKE THIS MEDICATION WITHOUT READING THIS. IT CONFLICTS WITH MANY MEDICATIONS...including many common over the counter medicines. 5 years, 60 mg -120 mg day, suicidal and non functional much of that time and it got worse. Diagnosed bipolar 2 also BPD. Thank goodness for the drug interaction checker because I had 4 red lights. No wonder I was sick. I am going off Cymbalta. Remember: YOU ARE IN CHARGE OF YOUR HEALTH CARE, NOT YOUR DOCTOR."

zula January 19, 2011

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "I am one of those people who will get the side effects that are listed as the o.02% and I have to say I have been diagnosed as bipolar for about 11 years and I went on Cymbalta 8 months ago and I feel like it saved my life. I love my Cymbalta. "

super sensitive November 30, 2010

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "I was not diagnosed with Bipolar disorder when Cymbalta was prescribed to me. While taking Cymbalta, I was more irritable and manic. If I were only depressed and not Bipolar, I think it would have been O.K."

Anonymous June 29, 2010

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "This medicine has been a lifesaver for me. Minimal side effects (the sexual issues, occasional dizziness on standing) and it completely changed how I saw myself. I used to look in the mirror and see some kind of inhuman troll thing, now I see myself. Helps with fibromyalgia pain as well. The only problem is if I ever have to go off it, it won't be pretty. I ran out for about 11 days, had awful in the head shocky feeling for about 7 of these days, before I started up again. Not fun..."

orangecamper January 10, 2010

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "This medication is the best antidepressant I have taken and believe me I've tried them all! Works fast, in 5 days I felt normal. I had to go off it due to loss of medical benefits and I had no bad side effects. I started taking it again and felt normal again in 5 days. I've been on it now 3 yrs straight and it keeps working just as well as it did when I started."

own2kidz November 15, 2009

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "I really did think that is was a pretty good medicine had no problems with it."

Anonymous November 10, 2009

"After a few years on SSRI's with recurring switches to hypomania I was put on Cymbalta Lithium. First there was a great antidepressant effect, but soon after I was told to raise the dose, I switched into a period of mania, making me aggressive. Since two years I don't take any antidepressants and have not been hypomanic/manic a single time."

Anonymous October 17, 2009

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "Cymbalta was a wonderful mood elevator and controlled my swings especially well at first, but the emotional blunting and sexual disinterest and malfunction were devastating to my relationship with my mate. After several months of taking Cymbalta, it quit working so well, and when my dose was increased, the emotion blunting and other side effects turned me into a walking, talking, zombie."

Saraleah October 11, 2009

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "I have been on Cymbalta 30mg for the last 5 days. I noticed a lot of side effects good and bad. The bad ones include insomnia, dizziness, nausea, and dry mouth. The two good side effect was less urgency to urinate and fewer hunger pangs. I used to run to the bathroom every hour and almost constantly eat. My mood is improving and I seem to be coming out of my shell. In a few more days my dose will double and I am sure this medication will work. I feel as if I am on the right path to becoming who I used to be years ago."

O.o September 21, 2009

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "Cymbalta was a life saver; I started on 30 mg and quickly went to 60 mg. I felt relaxed, less anxiety. My dose was increased to 90 mg- I became psychotic, talking a mile a minute, the sweats, etc. I was placed back on the 60 mg."

koller2010 September 11, 2009

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "Cymbalta has really helped with my bi-polar/panic disorder. I have been looking for the right medicines for a long time and since I was put on Cymbalta I have seen an improvement. I'm very happy with how I feel lately."

jcavino August 22, 2009

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "Made me too tired to function."

Anonymous August 20, 2009

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "I find this new antidepressant the best I have tried so far and I have tried so very many. I give it 95/100, only because it gives me really really bad hot flushes through the night which wake me up and I toss and turn and get hot and cold - all night."

Gfer August 19, 2009

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "I was diagnosed 13 years ago as bipolar. I have been on a total of 14 different medications. After a few months, the effectiveness of the medication would start to wear off. I would tell my doctor and he would up my dosage, then I would become a zombie. Cymbalta so far has been the only medication that I have been on for more that a year and a half. The only side effects I have noticed and that are starting to subside are; tremors, excessive sweating and night sweats, excessive rambling, minor confusion, and fatigue. They are starting to subside, but the medication has been a God send for me and my family."

Shereemc June 18, 2009

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "Cymbalta for me has been very beneficial in treating the anxiety/depression periods of Type 1 Bipolar Disorder. Some say antidepressant medicines can cause adverse reaction in Bipolar patients leading to Manic episode, but it didn't with me. It worked better over a long period, the negative effects when first starting the medication, and when stopping, can be quite bad (head spins, nausea, dry mouth, very tired, etc.) and can take a while to subside. I experienced many positive effects after being crippled with depression/anxiety for sometime. Biggest advice - DO NOT STOP TAKING SUDDENLY and DO NOT MISS DOSES. Decrease dosage slowly (speak to your Doctor)."

Anonymous June 11, 2009

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "I really like Cymbalta. It eliminates my anxiety and levels me out. What I don't like about Cymbalta- night sweats and general muscle fatigue. I laughed when I saw that it is a treatment for hot flashes. I have been on numerous antidepressants and that is one of the main side effects."

m1106 June 2, 2009

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "Cymbalta has really helped me calm down and figure out what my problem is with my psychologist. Thank God for Cymbalta."

THardebeck March 6, 2009

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "Cymbalta is the best medication I have ever taken. After years of being treated for depression, I was re diagnosed as bipolar 2.5 years ago. I have been on an endless parade of SSRIs, and cymbalta controls my depression and anxiety better than anything else I've tried. For the first couple of months I experienced some numbness and tremors in my hands and forearms, but not bad enough to stop the medication; they stopped after 2 or 3 months. I STRONGLY recommend you ask your doctor about Cymbalta."

Anonymous June 3, 2008

69 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Learn more about Bipolar Disorder