User Reviews for Safyral

Learn more about Safyral.

Safyral Review Summary

6.4/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 206 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Safyral to treat Birth Control

"I was put on this birth control at the age of 14 due to severe ovarian cysts and breakthrough bleeding from other pills. It was absolutely wonderful the first two years. My skin glowed, I kept a great weight, my periods were always on time. However, all this soon went down hill around the third year. I started to have overwhelming feeling of depression wash over me multiple times during the day, I became sluggish, I didn't want to do things with friends or family, and my relationships suffered greatly overall. After stopping this pill, my mood swings diminished and I feel like my old self again. Never going back to this pill again."

Shay1996 (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 26, 2015

"I just finished a package of Safyral yesterday, and so far I've had no weight gain, my acne has cleared up some, and my period came when it was supposed to. However, I have had spotting all through the first month, which the doctor said was normal so I have no complaints other than one really big one. While being on this pill I have had serious depression. I'm always moody, crying and sad. I am so sad that I have no appetite, no desire to go out, I'm never happy. In fact, I get raging angry sometimes and I can not control any of this. I am hoping that this side effect goes away soon."

Angryandsad March 24, 2015

"I love this birth control. No weight gain, acne cleared up, shorter/lighter periods. Only problem is I can't tolerate wearing my contact lenses for very long (no more than 4hrs). Best thing about it, no babies!"

nursemeg (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 10, 2014

"Ive been on this for about a month, and the first week was great. But then I started to bleed heavily, and it hasn't stopped for two weeks. I've got bad back aches and terrible acne, as well as bloating. I'm looking forward to switching off this and on to Lo Loestrin Fe."

Lapansoccer October 23, 2014

"I was concerned about starting Safyral after reading some of the reviews here, but have been pleasantly surprised by how easy my transition onto it has been. I was not on any contraceptive previously, and when I started my Safyral regimen my ONLY side effect was very light spotting for the first month. Not only did I escape mood swings, weight gain, acne, nausea, etc., but my usual menstrual symptoms (bloating, cramps, breakouts) have become almost nonexistent. I am not yet sexually active so I can't speak to Safyral's effectiveness as a contraceptive, but I've been very happy with it in the meantime."

BethAmanda September 21, 2014

"Safyral has been a great birth control pill for me. I lost water weight from my previous birth control plus some, skin is clear, no unusual mood swings. My only complaints about it is from 2 days before my period until 3 days into it is I get a bit of stomach bloat and my left ankle tends to get sore and swollen when on my feet too long. Sometimes I crave sweets at certain times of the month. The pill is more expensive, but a great birth control pill. I highly recommend it."

Linzee (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 18, 2014

"My experience with Safyral had been an overall good one, but it didn't start out that way. During the first month all through the second month I had horrible mood swings. Borderline depression it felt like. But after the second month it went away, I started feeling better. I've had no acne. No weight gain. Lighter flows. So I guess this pill is different for everyone based on the other reviews, but this is a great one for me and I plan to keep using it for a long time."

Jennacide00 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 4, 2014

"I was put on Safryal two months ago after being on Camresem due to breakthrough bleeding. Safyral definitely took care of that issue, but it came with several others. I now have very painful cramps just before and on my period. My periods last 7 days and are very heavy (which is normal for me off of birth control), and I'm constantly bloated. I also get headaches more than usual, and have gained about 4lbs and cannot lose weight at all. Going tomorrow to hopefully switch to a lower dose again."

not happyyyyyyy March 11, 2014

"As far as birth control and periods went, this was fine. My periods were much less crampy and painful, my skin didn't change at all. However, it was like my personality completely flipped. I felt robbed of my sense of adventure, I had absolutely no interest in going and doing fun things with my family. I've never had depression, but I think this must be what it feels like. I stopped taking it and am almost back to my old self, even though I'm back to having terrible periods. I will take cramps over how I was acting any day of the week."

MissMara December 4, 2013

"I have been on this pill for two years. I switched to this from Ortho Tri-cyclen because I was having breakthrough bleeding. One month into it I was having terrible cystic acne, two months into it I had a severe panic attack. Two years later I am incredibly depressed and bloated before my period along with crazy migraines for 3-4 days straight. I am unable to lose weight even with running 4 miles a day. I am switching to Lo Loestrin 24 Fe and will try a lower dosed pill. I have also experienced terrible leg cramps and fatigue like never before."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 8, 2013

"I had a pretty good experience with Safyral while I was on it. It helped regulate my cycle to be much more predictable and on time, and helped with my often severe leg-cramps. I didn't experience any weight gain, and though I was sometimes moody, it wasn't anything outside of normal PMS. It did what it was supposed to do, I suppose. However, my problems were when I had to go OFF Safyral. My insurance stopped covering it and at first my OB/GYN didn't have any samples for me, so I had to stop taking it for awhile. This is when I started to gain weight and had some crazy mood swings. I felt kind of depressed at times, cried often at work (which is unlike me), and just felt over-emotional."

Kari_B July 28, 2013

"I've been on this birth control for eight months. My skin is clearer than ever. I have occasional breakthrough bleeding, but it's just spotting, nothing big, no mood swings but once a month my belly bloats a little bit. Didn't make me gain any weight though."

shle (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 30, 2013

"I've been taking this for two months. I've lost a much needed 25 pounds and my face is always clear. I have noticed a slight depression though but I feel its tolerable and worth it."

kels42 May 29, 2013

"Been on Safyral for 6 weeks. I have no complaints. I've never been on birth control but had to go on it due to bleeding for 2 months straight really heavily. My bleeding stopped, I've not had any mood changes, weight gain, acne, or anything. It's regulated my periods and now I'm back to normal. It's been a great first experience with birth control."

Kojo2323 May 2, 2013

"I've been on Safyral for about 6 months now, when my doctor first put me on this pill I really liked. It was my first time going on birth control so I was nervous about all the weight gain rumors. But it was fine, I didn't gain any weight, I actually lost weight and my breasts got bigger. My skin cleared up, it has been a great contraceptive so far, but it made me so emotional. Maybe 2 or 3 months in I just got so depressed, randomly I would just get so sad and not even know why. I cried all the time, I had a short fuse, the littlest things would just upset me and I've never been like that so I'm switching. Everyone is different though and besides the emotions it was a great birth control."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 19, 2013

"Although this medication has done what it's suppose to do, I get upset over everything. For about three weeks I've been crying/ sulking and there's been no change. I hope it gets better."

christmasmeh (taken for less than 1 month) December 21, 2012

"I've been on Safyral since Jan 2011. (Almost a year) It was awesome at first, but as time went on it slowly started to change me. Great if you don't have a boyfriend. I say that because I have ZERO want or desire to be cuddly or intimate with my amazing, sweet, and down near perfect boyfriend of two years. It's the most frustrating of all my symptoms. Next are the mood swings, angry one minute, sad the next, anxious...it never ends! Before this pill I always considered myself to be a "guy" when it came to emotions, I was always just happy go lucky, NOT with this. Emotions=scale of 1 on this stuff. Pros=100% clear skin, all the time! No weight gain. Its not the WORST birth control out there but just be prepared to ride a emotional roller coaster."

mm310 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 20, 2012

"No breakthrough bleeding, felt the best that I ever had, lost weight and felt like my old self again. So I started this medicine in April 2012 and am currently on it and it's October 2012. This will be my last pack. I have experienced nausea, bloating, mood swings, sadness, depression, fatigue and just don't feel like my self anymore."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 22, 2012

"I haven't been on this pill for very long, but my doctor gave me some free samples because I was having breakthrough bleeding with LoEstrin. So far, my main complaint is nausea. I have never felt so consistently sick in my life - not even with the flu! I'll post again when I've been on it longer about weight gain, mood swings, cramps, etc."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) August 22, 2012

"I have been on this for a month and have had a horrible experience with my mood change, I have always been a happy person, and now for the last week I am so depressed and I am constantly feeling a nervous feeling in my gut, like anxiety. I had a baby 2 months ago, and even through my pregnancy never felt any mood swings or depression. I talked to my doctor and have decided to stop this birth control. Hope it'll fix this sad feeling."

jesserin08 (taken for less than 1 month) June 4, 2012

"I've just finished my first pack of Safyral and have no complaints. My skin is noticeably clearer, it has helped to reduce cramping and a heavy flow. I've had only one strange craving and it's for sour foods (pickles especially). No bad moods in fact I've been in a great mood since I've been on it. I've pretty much have experience all pros since taking it."

Anonymous May 14, 2012

"I have been on this for about 6 months now and started on it to help with my irregular and heavy periods as well as a contraceptive. Let me just say all women's hormones are different but for me this works. Don't have acne (never really had a problem with it before). I start my pills on a Friday and when I finish my active pills have my period on a Tuesday/Wednesday. It's prevented pregnancy (I'm only 21 don't want a baby) and keeps my periods in check I love it!"

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 12, 2012

"I have been on this birth control for about a month and a half now. This my first time on birth control so I did not understand all the changes that were going on. BUT I started craving so many things and also nausea will come! Also many mood swings, specially when my period is near all I want to do is cry, and acne was HORRIBLE. I did not gain weight or anything like that though."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 4, 2012

"I have been on this pill for a couple of months now. It's great with acne and no weight gain or anything but I will say it's absolutely horrible with moods. I've had the worst mood swings. I'm depressed and I literally cry over ANYthing and when I start, I cant stop!"

Anonymous April 8, 2012

"I had been taking Microgestin Fe 1.5/30 for 2 years until it started giving me bad cramping and breakthrough bleeding on the active pills. I think my body was starting to reject it or the dosage just wasn't high enough anymore. Then my doctor suggested to try Safyral and gave me 2 free samples. I just finished my first month and it wasn't too bad. The worst side effect I had was nausea. My breasts felt fuller, but they went back to their normal size after my period. My period was lighter and the cramping wasn't that bad. I didn't gain any weight or feel bloated. I will have to see how this next month is...I plan on staying on this pill!"

Anonymous March 31, 2012

Learn more about Birth Control

More about Safyral (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol / levomefolate calcium)

Professional resources