User Reviews for Docosanol

Also known as: Abreva

Learn more about Docosanol.

Docosanol Review Summary

8.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 34 medications used in the treatment of Herpes Simplex.

Reviews for Docosanol to treat Herpes Simplex

Abreva (docosanol): "Made my cold sore worse. It re-activated the cold sore and caused it to spread further. Do not buy this product. Bleach and clay masks have a much better effectiveness."

Jr124578 June 28, 2015

Abreva (docosanol): "I am in my 60's and have suffered cold sores most of my life. My first use of Abreva was a year ago.....I now use it a few times per year when I feel a cold sore coming on. I never have scabs or sores any more. The cold sore does not develop! I wish I had known sooner. It has made my life better. I cannot stand how big my cold sores get."

MzKK June 19, 2015

"Before I use abreva, a sore will take over a week to heal, now 3-4 days. It is expensive, but it lasts quite some time. just make sure you dont overindulge when you apply it"

esla June 19, 2015

Abreva (docosanol): "There are reviews that may make you question it. But I've had cold sores I left untreated that left scars and lasted for weeks. This isn't a cure but it significantly reduced the size and time of my cold sore. It's worth the twenty bucks."

Krtsawnms (taken for less than 1 month) June 18, 2015

Abreva (docosanol): "First Major break out with cold sores, started on the lower lip and moved to the corner. I found this on the self and was going to pass it up when i saw the price...thank goodness i spent the money and went for it. This stuff works fast!!!!"

Graywolf1966 June 11, 2015

Abreva (docosanol): "This product works so good . felt a tingle early that morning cryed was depressed applies this for the first time five times a day the next day I'm usually use to huge oozing clusters all on my chin but I was amazed no Of that. It is now day 3 and it's completely gone ."

AllyTee (taken for less than 1 month) June 8, 2015

Abreva (docosanol): "Damn this stuff really works. I first got a cold sore 4 years ago and it usually happens every 6 months or once a year. And I knew it was due for an outbreak and once I felt a bump coming I told myself I'd buy a cold sore treatment and WOW in 3 days its already gone. BEST part is the swelling and pain goes away and its not even noticeable. I will always buy this product. There might not be a cure but Thank God for whoever made this product to ACTUALLY work. I'd pay double for this if that was the price. Who ever hasn't tried this and is hsv1 I very highly recommend to try product."

anthony160 June 3, 2015

"Abreva works like magic! Got a cold sore on saturday and by tuesday it's practically gone! It's worth the $22"

Anonymous May 26, 2015

Abreva (docosanol): "It really works!! Ive got cold sores twice before, the first outbreak was in the middle of my bottom lip and the corner of my mouth- at the same time!! It was so bad I still have a faint scar!! The second one was bad as well. This time by the time I felt the burning tingle and ran to the bathroom mirror there were already 2 tiny blisters!! I got Abreva immediately, but all reviews and directions say get it BEFORE the first blister shows. Well it didn't make the 2 tiny blisters I already had disappear (I normally have a cluster of 10+) but it made it so there was NO redness & it stopped any new blisters. Normally it takes 1-2 weeks to heal, I'm on day 3 and I'm amazed! Its expensive, but its 110% worth it"

KayKay305 May 17, 2015

Abreva (docosanol): "I have been plagued with cold sores my entire life and this is the only topical cream that works at all. My doctor also prescribed me Valtrex and when I pair the two my cold sore disappears within hours."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) April 26, 2015

Abreva (docosanol): "When it comes to cold sores, I've tried every remedy there is, both medical and home remedies. When I read all of the 'amazing' reviews of abreva I was pretty skeptical because I thought they might have been paid, but I after I bought and used abreva I felt compelled to write a review. It is the best! My cold sores tend to last for about 10 days and when I use abreva, the usually only last about 3. I'm pretty diligent with reapplying throughout the day, but I'm seriously so happy to have finally found a product that actually works."

Samus12873 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 23, 2015

Abreva (docosanol): "At first when I was reading these reviews I thought they were a bit excessive and was sure the company was paying people to write positive reviews. But after my experience I now can see they true. It was the first morning of my 3 week vacation in LA and I woke up with a cold sore. Awesome. It already was at its blister stage and so swollen and painful (top left side of lip). I got the abreva pump from cvs and spent a whole day continuously reapplying. It completely reduced the swelling and blister and now its completely shrunk and about to disappear and its day 2. Usually I get cold sores once or twice a year that last 10-14 days. I cannot believe this actually worked. definitely worth the $22"

ashley k April 12, 2015

Abreva (docosanol): "My experience with abreva was quite upsetting. I had a light coldsore breakout and used abreva on the first day. Three days later, not much difference at all. I even bought two tubes $44..wow Control this the proper way and have valtrex on hand."

PeterJS April 12, 2015

Abreva (docosanol): "Less than 2 days ago I noticed a large herpes bump on my upper lip and immedietly my heart sank. I grabbed the Abreva I had and applied it right away but I figured it was to late. My first time trying it and in less than 48 hours of application the "bump" shrunk down and has practically dissapeared. No outbreak, no redness or scabbing stage. It's like I completly skipped the entire outbreak!:) Im gonna start hordeing Abreva. 5 star experience!"

Hockaday95 (taken for less than 1 month) April 5, 2015

Abreva (docosanol): "I haven't had a full on cold sore in 10 years. All due to Abreva. As soon as I feel that warm feeling and see a little red on my lip I apply it and an hour later it's gone. I keep a tube at home and in my car. I'll even apply some before a big date or event just in case. This stuff is amazing. I deal with clients daily, a cold sore is a deal breaker. Miracle."

ChuckyMeyers March 25, 2015

Abreva (docosanol): "I love this product. I've been getting cold sores for years and every time I felt one coming on I felt hopeless! Now when I feel the tingling/itchy I immediately use my Abreva and the cold sore never comes out! The trick is to use it as soon as you feel the tingling and you will be good!"

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 1, 2015

Abreva (docosanol): "I bought Abreva the day I got a coldsore and now it's day two and i can not believe the improvement. It is like magic. Although it is still there, the swelling went down and the redness went down too. I am astonished. It will forever be my holy grail."

pmilllllls February 22, 2015

Abreva (docosanol): "I love Abreva! I was exposed to the virus that causes cold sores on the lip one year ago. The first time was terrible is never been through it so I didn't know what to do, but this time round I knew exactly how to handle it"

Shay12345 February 8, 2015

Abreva (docosanol): "I was really skeptical about paying so much for a small amount. Usually my cold sores do not get very bad or noticable, however, it did this time. The first day I could feel the tingle, the second day my lip was swollen to where my mouth couldn't close comfortably and blisters had started, by the third day my lip had swelled even bigger and blisters were extremely noticable. And by day four, blisters had popped leaving a dark crusty look, some swelling went down. By the beginning of day four I was ready to pull my hair out. Went to the pharmacy and bought a small tube and began to use it like I use oxygen. Overnight I applied a heavier coat and by day five, the large scab from the blisters fell right off!! Swelling was completely gone!"

EMS personnel (taken for less than 1 month) February 6, 2015

Abreva (docosanol): "I have only had 1 cold sore in my life prior to this experience. It was awful. Like, burry your head in the sand for 10 days, turning peoples stomach awful. This week I noticed one beginning and decided to spend the $22 to try and prevent THAT mess again. SOOOO worth it. By the second day I could feel the cream really doing it's job and now, on day three, it's basically gone. THREE DAYS! It never even blistered. No one realized I even had a cold sore. Worth $100 if it works this well every time! Thanks GSK for a medicine that truly does what it advertises!"

Coldsoreless in Colorado (taken for less than 1 month) January 22, 2015

Abreva (docosanol): "I was already 3 days into a breakout and decided to go to the pharmacy and look for something to help alleviate the pain. I chose Abreva because it was FDA approved, but truthfully wasn't expecting much. To make matters worse, I have a beard that covers the sore. After only 1 day the sore was much, much better and virtually all of the related pain on my cheek and chin was gone. By the second day the sore was barely there. I'm now a fan of this treatment and will definitely purchase it again at the very first sign of an outbreak. For me, Abreva is a "keeper.""

bocaboy (taken for less than 1 month) January 21, 2015

Abreva (docosanol): "I love this product. The first day I felt the tingling I went to go buy the product and by the morning I had no itching, tingling or much of anything. They were really small. By the third day they were pretty much gone. No one noticed I ever had it."

booyahhhh January 18, 2015

Abreva (docosanol): "Was able to get rid of cold sores in only 2 days and a half! All gone! Excellent product!"

Nirva (taken for less than 1 month) January 6, 2015

Abreva (docosanol): "I honestly didn't think Abreva would work. I got the first signs of a cold sore on a Thursday morning and applied the Abreva immediately. On Friday, my cold sore blistered just a little bit and was somewhat itchy but the Abreva definitely kept the cold sore from getting any bigger and under control. By Saturday, I noticed that the blisters were already drying out and on the way to healing well. One Sunday, it was gone completely! I'd definitely use Abreba again! Without it, I'd have to face a whole week or more of enduring a very itchy, fast growing and ugly cold sore that would make me feel ugly and very self-conscious."

Muminah (taken for less than 1 month) December 8, 2014

Abreva (docosanol): "I haven't had a cold sore since my teenager years. When I looked in the mirror yesterday morning I was in shock to see one on my lip. It was just the beginning of a cold sore. I immediately remember seeing a ad for Abreva and it claimed to heal sores fast! I had nothing to lose and knew my Garth Brooks concert was coming up in two days. Knowing my friends and family there would be pictures of my smile everywhere. The product was amazing. Two days using it and its pretty much all gone! Wow. It was a miracle worker! Thank you Abreva. It was easy to use and couldn't believe how fast it worked! Ready for my pictures in my all time favorite Garth Brooks."

SpicyM December 7, 2014