Pill Identifier App

User Reviews for Docosanol

Also known as: Abreva

Learn more about Docosanol.

Docosanol review summary

8.9/10 Average Rating

Compare all 34 medications used in the treatment of Herpes Simplex.

Reviews for Docosanol to treat Herpes Simplex

Review by ChuckyMeyers:

Abreva (docosanol): I haven't had a full on cold sore in 10 years. All due to Abreva. As soon as I feel that warm feeling and see a little red on my lip I apply it and an hour later it's gone. I keep a tube at home and in my car. I'll even apply some before a big date or event just in case. This stuff is amazing. I deal with clients daily, a cold sore is a deal breaker. Miracle.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 25, 2015 5:00 AM

Review by Shay12345:

Abreva (docosanol): I love Abreva! I was exposed to the virus that causes cold sores on the lip one year ago. The first time was terrible is never been through it so I didn't know what to do, but this time round I knew exactly how to handle it

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 8, 2015 12:27 PM

Review by Coldsoreless in Colorado (taken for less than 1 month):

Abreva (docosanol): I have only had 1 cold sore in my life prior to this experience. It was awful. Like, burry your head in the sand for 10 days, turning peoples stomach awful. This week I noticed one beginning and decided to spend the $22 to try and prevent THAT mess again. SOOOO worth it. By the second day I could feel the cream really doing it's job and now, on day three, it's basically gone. THREE DAYS! It never even blistered. No one realized I even had a cold sore. Worth $100 if it works this well every time! Thanks GSK for a medicine that truly does what it advertises!

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 22, 2015 7:25 AM

Review by bocaboy (taken for less than 1 month):

Abreva (docosanol): I was already 3 days into a breakout and decided to go to the pharmacy and look for something to help alleviate the pain. I chose Abreva because it was FDA approved, but truthfully wasn't expecting much. To make matters worse, I have a beard that covers the sore. After only 1 day the sore was much, much better and virtually all of the related pain on my cheek and chin was gone. By the second day the sore was barely there. I'm now a fan of this treatment and will definitely purchase it again at the very first sign of an outbreak. For me, Abreva is a "keeper."

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 21, 2015 11:04 AM

Review by booyahhhh:

Abreva (docosanol): I love this product. The first day I felt the tingling I went to go buy the product and by the morning I had no itching, tingling or much of anything. They were really small. By the third day they were pretty much gone. No one noticed I ever had it.

January 18, 2015 12:53 AM

Review by Nirva (taken for less than 1 month):

Abreva (docosanol): Was able to get rid of cold sores in only 2 days and a half! All gone! Excellent product!

January 6, 2015 4:37 PM

Review by Muminah (taken for less than 1 month):

Abreva (docosanol): I honestly didn't think Abreva would work. I got the first signs of a cold sore on a Thursday morning and applied the Abreva immediately. On Friday, my cold sore blistered just a little bit and was somewhat itchy but the Abreva definitely kept the cold sore from getting any bigger and under control. By Saturday, I noticed that the blisters were already drying out and on the way to healing well. One Sunday, it was gone completely! I'd definitely use Abreba again! Without it, I'd have to face a whole week or more of enduring a very itchy, fast growing and ugly cold sore that would make me feel ugly and very self-conscious.

December 8, 2014 1:32 PM

Review by SpicyM:

Abreva (docosanol): I haven't had a cold sore since my teenager years. When I looked in the mirror yesterday morning I was in shock to see one on my lip. It was just the beginning of a cold sore. I immediately remember seeing a ad for Abreva and it claimed to heal sores fast! I had nothing to lose and knew my Garth Brooks concert was coming up in two days. Knowing my friends and family there would be pictures of my smile everywhere. The product was amazing. Two days using it and its pretty much all gone! Wow. It was a miracle worker! Thank you Abreva. It was easy to use and couldn't believe how fast it worked! Ready for my pictures in my all time favorite Garth Brooks.

December 7, 2014 12:45 AM

Abreva (docosanol): I am currently using Abreva for the first time and I will absolutely use it again! I did not apply until after the blister appeared. It was a large cluster sores (about the size of a dime). I am so happy with how fast it worked! Typically, my cold sores last 10 days. It's been 4 and my cold sore has significantly reduced in size - its practically gone. I'm confident it'll be gone by day 7. There has been no crusty dry stage - which I feel is the most embarrassing. I have to agree with another comment I read about the bright white color. I would have liked to use it more frequently throughout the day, but didn't want to draw anymore attention with white paste all over my face at work. It was worth the $20, a little goes a long way!

December 4, 2014 9:38 PM

Review by Steffii:

Abreva (docosanol): I skipped the tingle stage all together. My lips had been really dry and I was using Chapstick when all of a sudden there was a random blister on my lip. I immediately went and bought some Abreva. It never got past the blister stage. It has been 2 days and it just looks like a dry patch now. No scab. No oozing. Can't even tell it's there if you didn't know.

November 6, 2014 3:57 PM

Review by S7 (taken for less than 1 month):

Abreva (docosanol): I've used Abreva before but it didn't work as affectively, perhaps that was because I used it probably 2 days after my cold sore had already began to swell up/blister. This time around, I woke up to work and felt that tingling feeling on my top lip - knowing it was a cold sore. I treated it with my Burt's Bees chapstick throughout the day at work. It wasn't until late evening when I did a Target run to get Abreva. I applied it right away and probably 3x that night. It's been 3 days and my cold sore has reached the point where my blister could be picked off and healing. I applied it at least 5x a day, every 3hrs. I'm very satisfied! My cold sore skipped the whole stage where it plumps up, like a BIG BUMP on my lip, went straight to the blist

October 24, 2014 2:32 PM

Review by Bomer-Hob:

Abreva (docosanol): It does work fast. Usually I can get rid of it in 2-4 days. The only issue I have is the cream is a dark white color so if I apply it to my lip, the white cream is very noticeable on my lip. In public, I would have to wipe part of it off so no one would see that I have white cream on my lip. I wish this cream was more transparent.

61 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 23, 2014 9:02 AM

Review by Sarah m:

Abreva (docosanol): I suffer from cold sores once a year usually October or November but I find Abreva works well when first signs of cold sore appear. I can't ever seem to catch it at the "first tingle" usually wake up with one trying to pop out. I immediately throw on some Abreva then take some lysine pills and some Vitamin c. Seems to heal it fast . In like 3 days. If the blister sadly appears I use Abreva every other hour and take 2 lysine pills every other 4 hours.

October 18, 2014 6:35 PM

Review by Trupes (taken for 10 years or more):

Abreva (docosanol): I have been effected by this virus all my life. I found Abreva and the blisters disappear within a few days of treatment. I have no side effects from this cream. The key is to catch it early and treat the blister(s) promptly and as prescribed. I am grateful for Abreva being an over the counter medication.

March 25, 2014 8:14 PM

Review by Jess893478274:

Abreva (docosanol): I was in Mexico and spent the whole day drinking at the pool (I think they did not wash glasses properly and I contracted it there). I went for dinner and just as I finished my meal I licked my lips and right away could feel the tingle, then bit my bottom lip where it was and had that very sharp pain. Could tell right away, having had several when I was younger. A single small blister had formed on my lip already and luckily I carry Abreva everywhere so I put some of that on right away. Next day it had "popped", I soaked that and put more Abreva. Was starting to heal and crust within 2 days. This is why the ladies in my family carry it everywhere. You have to use it straight away to stop the spreading, but its a life saver.

January 31, 2014 4:18 PM

Review by Mommy&wife (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Abreva (docosanol): This medicine is amazing! It works wonders.

January 8, 2014 2:10 PM

Review by alleycatj:

Abreva (docosanol): As soon as I feel a tingling on my lip I apply Abreva - have a tube at work, in car and at home. In 5 yrs I have not had a cold sore break out if I apply Abreva in time. LOVE THIS STUFF and would pay a lot more than the $20 cost - also HARMON has it for $15.

November 11, 2013 11:14 AM

Review by Dusss (taken for less than 1 month):

Abreva (docosanol): Got a cold sore at the worst possible time.. Met a chick.. Cute chick.. Everything was perfect...really like her.. (who knows I might marry her). Anyway, after our first date I started getting a fever blister. She wanted me to come to her place the next day....Of course I couldn't do so...Checked into how to remove the blisters, found some Abreva and paid $20.. reluctantly for a small tube. Used it for 2 days.. using it almost every 2 hours. On the 3rd day its totally gone. No Blister at all. Could have lost the lady of my dreams. Woohoo Thanks Abreva.

97 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 22, 2012 2:17 AM

Abreva (docosanol): I love this product. Usually my cold sores are anywhere from 1-2 weeks, I woke up with a cold sore Friday got the cream and applied it at least every hour and that very day the sore burst on its own and it is Monday morning and its already healing and has gotten SIGNIFICANTLY smaller and I noticed its not as red as it was so its hardly noticeable. I'm sure this will be gone by Weds/Thurs the latest. It is very small packaging but every time I put some on I use a Qtip and a little goes a long way. It still looks unused and I've put it on at least every hour since I got it. Honestly at first I was discouraged from using it because of the reviews but I'm so glad I still got it.

October 1, 2012 1:44 AM

Abreva (docosanol): If you use Abreva at the onset of itching where the cold sore (herpes simplex) begins, apply it immediately at the dosage on the bottle (as with any prescription) - the cold sore does NOT crust over, this medication actually starts the healing process within by absorption. I'm just getting over one, and it was gone in 3 days without the crusty look, or scab formation that is the most embarrassing part of a cold sore and with Abreva; this does not happen. I highly recommend it, also, talk to your Dr. about Zovirax (Acyclovir). Using it in conjunction with the Abreva, works wonders!

December 11, 2011 7:20 PM

Abreva (docosanol): I recently got an ugly cold sore on the bottom of my lips but did not catch it early enough. I used Abreva during the blistering stage and already it has made a difference. The product is too dry for my lips however so I am using it in conjunction with Carmex. I am on the fourth day and the sore has gone down quite a bit.

July 1, 2011 1:46 AM

Review by ssscccssss:

Abreva (docosanol): I get cold sores once or twice a year, and Abreva has made them less noticeable and has shortened their length significantly. You have to catch them the first day though, or it makes little difference. It skips the blistering stage entirely - it goes from a tingle to having already crusted over.

November 30, 2009 12:48 PM

Review by PeteSFul:

Abreva (docosanol): The first two or three times I used this medication my lesions were past the "weeping" stage of the virus and on to healing. Subsequent applications of this medication now seem to have no effect. I've moved on to using Zovirax which seems like it not only halts any progress of the outbreak and my healing times are faster than any other medication I've used. Abreva just seems to not work at all now.

January 30, 2009 5:03 PM

Abreva (docosanol): Abreva makes my cold sores smaller and less noticeable. Before Abreva my cold sores would hang around for a couple of weeks but now it is less, maybe a week or a week and a half but the big difference is the size. You have to catch it first day though.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 12, 2009 7:52 PM

Abreva (docosanol): I have used abreva everytime I get a coldsore/fever blister. I get them really bad all the time. I usually have coldsores/fever blisters any where from 3-4 weeks. Abreva has cut down how long I have them down to a week or a week and a half. It has also gradually made them smaller until they are gone.

November 14, 2008 4:18 PM