User Reviews for Celebrex

Learn more about Celebrex.

Celebrex review summary

7.5/10 Average Rating

Compare all 275 medications used in the treatment of Osteoarthritis.

Reviews for Celebrex to treat Osteoarthritis

Review by Joahanna:

I took this drug for three months and it worked wonderfully for the pain. However, after three months, I lost bowel control, which is a possible side effect.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 15, 2014 4:53 AM

Review by Linda in Covington:

I am scheduled for knee replacement in a few weeks and my doctor prescribed Celebrex for me to take daily starting the day before surgery. I have been suffering with osteoarthritis for years. I am only 57 years old but my knees are so bad I walk like I am 90 years old. In addition to my knees I suffer with joint pain all over my body. I filled my prescription using the Celebrex discount card that I received from my doctor. My co pay with insurance was only $4.00. Without the discount card it would have cost $50.00. I decided to try the Celebrex now disregarding my doctors instructions. My very first day of taking Celebrex I noticed a big difference in my joint pain. I am on day three and my pain is much improved. Thank God!

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 11, 2014 8:21 AM

Review by Wendyrd:

Reduced pain in my C2 but caused nausea, sinus pain, runny nose, cough, when taking 100mg daily, and severely increased symptoms when dose increased to 200 mg daily for one day.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 3, 2014 9:17 AM

Review by CDEKR:

I'm going to eventually have to have hip surgery, but Celebrex is the only medication that currently reduces my right hip pain to the point where I have restored quality of life.

May 6, 2014 8:18 AM

Review by Fishing gal (taken for less than 1 month):

I am 59 year old female. I have sport related injuries and have been suffering arthritis pain in both knees and hip for several years. Tried not to take medication all my life. Do not drink alcohol, tried chiropractic, tried massage therapy, do yoga regularly. But the pain was taking away my ability to enjoy life constant pain is a terrible thing. I have been taking Celebrex for approximately 1 week. I am sleeping better moving better and the pain has been reduced by at least 50%. Hoping to get my active life back. FINGERS CROSSED. Good Luck to fellow pain suffers this is definitely worth trying. Work with it. Don't drink alcohol. Eat something when you take it. I am on 2x200mg and will try to get that down to 1x. I tried 1x at first No Joy.

March 10, 2014 9:35 AM

Review by Ms Buhda:

The problem I ran into however was it's side effects. I had to stop taking it as it affected my breathing to the point that I couldn't walk half a block without gasping for air. To this day I still have respiratory problems after taking this.

February 20, 2014 4:38 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

Have been taking about 3 weeks (200mg/daily). Started having irregular heartbeats after about 2 weeks. Stopped taking and it cleared up, I started taking again and irregular heartbeats have returned. I guess I will have to stop, what a shame--- it really helps the pain!!!

October 31, 2013 9:10 PM

Review by KateRN (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I feel as though I've been given a second chance at living. I am enjoying life for the first time in many years. I will be dropping off my walker, crutches and chair lift at the Goodwill this week (you may think I'm kidding--I'm serious). I do fear that the change might be temporary but, I'm going to enjoy everything while the pain is gone! (Five weeks pain free).

October 7, 2013 7:50 PM

Review by Anon22:

Celebrex is great for pain, ten out of ten - but for me, it has unwanted side effects, such as stomach bloat and hair loss. I was on it for 3 years, and came off of it, and now I am back on it because of the pain. But, I am going to try some other osteoarthritis medicines, and hope for less side effects. I'm female and the side effects of Celebrex are terrible.

September 30, 2013 12:29 PM

Review by NYTess:

I took 200mg 1 per day, for osteoarthritis in my hands. The pain relief was amazing. I could sleep through the night, and wake rested, and was thrilled to have nearly pain free use of my hands. After 1 week I began to develop an irregular heartbeat. First day, it wasn't too noticeable, and I was able to ignore the feeling. The irregularity increased, that night it was difficult to sleep. Next day I spoke to the doctor who did an EKG. He said I was having Premature Ventricular Contractions (PVC). He advised I stop taking the Celebrex immediately. It took 4 days for the PVCs to subside. After waiting 2 weeks, I tried taking Celebrex again. After 3 days, the PVCs returned. Stopped the medicine, PVCs stopped.

September 27, 2013 12:59 AM

Review by summer60:

I have osteoarthritis, primarily in my hands. On and off over the past 8 years, I've used Celebrex for flare-ups and can feel pain-free almost immediately! It is a miracle for any and all of my aches & pains. No negative side effects for me either. The only part is it's expense but today I found several websites that offer coupons for it.

June 14, 2013 11:46 PM

Review by LJ 66 years of age, female (taken for less than 1 month):

I was given some samples of Celebrex from my physician for wrist and hand pain. After I took the second capsule of 200 mg, I awoke in the night with an extremely bad headache, had the chills, aching muscles, runny nose and a dry hacking cough. I stopped taking the pills, but as my symptoms persisted, I believed I had the flu. Three weeks later, I again tried Celebrex and on the second day of taking the pills, I was again stricken with chills, a headache, nausea and the runny nose. These symptoms have stayed with me for the past three days.

February 13, 2013 10:56 AM

Review by Kaylenmar (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I am a 76 year old female and have been taking Celebrex on and off for many years. When my arthritis gives me pain I take it for about 2 or 3 weeks and the pain is gone. Right now I have been taking it everyday for the last 3 months because I need a knee replacement and I am practically free of pain. I highly recommend Celebrex for any kind of pain. I have had no side effects.

67 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 2, 2013 10:55 AM

Review by bronxie (taken for 1 to 6 months):

This medicine is really great for pain. Down side makes my blood pressure rise.

December 31, 2012 2:09 AM

Review by experienced8585 (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Very expensive but worth it. I've have football knees and a bad back. This cleans up the stiffness and gets things circulating. Eat right after you take it. I have been taking this for years and I'd be lost without it.

November 7, 2012 5:49 PM

Review by Lazy_E (taken for 2 to 5 years):

This is the only medicine that works for me. I have tried many many others with no effect. I have MS and in pain all the time. Arthritis in my spine is very painful, and this really helps me.

October 8, 2012 2:17 PM

Review by SkepticJ:

I have severe osteoarthritis of the right knee and was facing a certain total knee replacement. As a "last resort" for pain relief, I tried Celebrex 200 mg. For about two months, there was no impact on pain or improved knee function. Then (as if by magic), the constant pain went away and my knee function returned to just about normal. I now have the ability to exercise and move like the whole thing never happened! I'm certainly glad I stuck with the medication, as it's been "almost a miracle". Now, I have to decide whether to proceed with knee replacement, or will Celebrex buy me a few more years.

60 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 24, 2011 1:11 PM

I need a new knee and get Synvisc shots every 6 months. Not so much pain, but often uncomfortable and the knee is very useless after about 4 months. Found Celebrex and took it. As package said, it took a couple of weeks to do much, but then woke up pain free one morning. Amazing. I have a very stressful job though and seem to have developed a heart condition. Did Celebrex contribute? I do not know, but have discontinued its use.

September 26, 2011 5:50 AM

Review by auntniknik:

For pain and swelling of my joints it worked the best, but my blood pressure went up and heart disease runs in my family. I wish I could have continued taking it.

August 14, 2011 6:30 PM

A very good medicine that works for my knee pain, sometimes I do have to top it up with Tylenol Arthritis. All in all I recommend it for osteoarthritis.

July 28, 2011 5:55 PM

Review by SuzyG:

I don't like using medicines at all, especially long-term, but Celebrex did tame my symptoms enough for me to be able to pursue other therapies. It wasn't perfect. I still limped and had some pain and stiffness issues but it made a world of difference. I am now off of it, and have taken a big hit in my flexibility and mobility.

June 13, 2011 1:33 PM

Review by fl1:

I woke up one morning unable to walk and in horrible pain after a day out walking on the board walk. I took everything I could think of. Finally took Celebrex and within one hour the pain was gone.

June 6, 2011 4:53 AM

Review by Callianne:

I envy the people who have had success with Celebrex. I need both knees replaced for osteoarthritis, and I also have pain in my back, neck, elbows, hips and wrists. I've been on Celebrex for 6 or 7 years. When I first used it, it used to make me very dizzy. But it NEVER ever relieved any pain for me! I always had to pop multiple Tylenol, Motrin or Advil to supplement, in order to get even minimum relief. My doctor put me on Arthrotec today, and I am really hoping for success. If that doesn't work, he's going to try me on Tylenol-3 (codeine-based).

March 2, 2011 7:01 PM

This is the only medicine which helps with my osteoarthritis pain.

January 17, 2011 2:28 PM

I'm very pleased with Celebrex for the neck and knee pain caused by my osteoarthritis. I have no pain on climbing up and down the stairs (relief began after only several days). I not only have no neck pain, but also a dramatically increased range of motion...which makes it much safer for me to change lanes when I'm driving. The one problem I have is that I must take the medication after eating, otherwise tummy tenderness may occur.

August 10, 2010 3:35 AM