User Reviews for Celebrex

Learn more about Celebrex.

Celebrex Review Summary

7.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 261 medications used in the treatment of Osteoarthritis.

Reviews for Celebrex to treat Osteoarthritis

"Worked like magic for my Mom. She can now move around without pain and do the things she coundn't do before."

Fel June 19, 2015

"I think it is great for osteo-arthritis of hip - but others work for me equally well e.g. Mobic, Voltaren. I chose Celebrex as I have read it is gentler on stomach and kidneys. The only downside is the fear I get reading about heart problems - so I change every few months an alternate the meds - with a week off in between (when I go back to limping). But I have no problems - in fact I did notice that Celebrex takes a few days to work whereas Mobic and Voltaren are almost instant"

JohnK1954 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 9, 2015

"I have OA in my hands, knee, and spine. I have been taking Celebrex for over 12 years. I have slightly high blood pressure. It could be from Celebrex but the benefits of Celebrex outweigh the possible side effects I have experienced. I am having a second spine fusion in a week and have to stop taking Celebrex, per my doctor's request. I have read more positives to keep taking it through and after surgery...I dread going off it because I will not be able to use my hands. Celebrex improves my quality of life and I recommend anyone with severe arthritis to give it a try"

mav4me (taken for 10 years or more) April 13, 2015

"Celebrex is the ONLY medicine that signifcantly relieves my knee pain and allows me to walk in almost complete comfort. I take as needed, not everyday, per my doctor's recommendation, since I have high blood pressure (controlled with medicine) and high cholesterol, and have not taken it for longer than one month in a row without taking a significant break from the medicine afterward. However I will take 1 x 200 mg pill if I have a particularly active day ahead of me. I am 70 and have had no significant side effects."

Darcy R. January 22, 2015

"Very effective, reduced pain to very low level, I was on Celebrex for 3 years on and off depending on severity of pain and had no problems, as pain got more prolonged I took 200mg on a daily basis. At about 6 months I devoloped increased ringing in the ears, followed by hearing noises which couldn't be explained by a specialist hearing Doctor"

Brins (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 19, 2014

"After breaking both ankles in 1987, I was diagnosed with arthritis in 1997, I put up with mild pain and joint stiffness for years until I started my new job in 2011 at age 45, (7-8 hours a day non stop on my feet) after each shift I would be in so much excruciating pain I wondered if the job was worth it. Went to see my doctor who prescribed 100mg Celebrex twice a day, first few days I noticed a small improvement but also had a bit of stomach discomfort. After a few weeks it was like I had new ankles! Little to no pain, so I went down to 100mg a day on days I don't work and 200mg a day when I work. Only other side effect I have had is significant hair loss/ thinning for a couple weeks every 6 months, it grows back though."

BarbHogan (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 6, 2014

"I'm a 59 year old woman with osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis and I've been taking this medication for 3 months with no side effects at all. And I was expecting some so I've been pleasantly surprised. It does help with the pain but we are just getting into the cold, rainy season and time will tell just how much of a difference it really makes as this is when I'm in the most pain."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 4, 2014

"I have had bilateral knee replacements and severe multiple joint pains problems. I have been "around the block" with all sorts of medications to help me with pain & inflammation. This includes getting and becoming addicted to pain medication. I have not taken Celebrex because at the time my problems were so bad, they were pulling all the cox 2 inhibitors off the markets. I have been on Celebrex now for slightly over a month! What a God send! I am absolutely AMAZED at how well this has worked. Please give it a chance, you will be extremely satisfied!! Pfizer offers help paying for this RX. I have a $10 copayment but with help card $4.00!! Can't beat that!"

AmyAH (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 29, 2014

"I took this drug for three months and it worked wonderfully for the pain. However, after three months, I lost bowel control, which is a possible side effect."

Joahanna September 15, 2014

"I am scheduled for knee replacement in a few weeks and my doctor prescribed Celebrex for me to take daily starting the day before surgery. I have been suffering with osteoarthritis for years. I am only 57 years old but my knees are so bad I walk like I am 90 years old. In addition to my knees I suffer with joint pain all over my body. I filled my prescription using the Celebrex discount card that I received from my doctor. My co pay with insurance was only $4.00. Without the discount card it would have cost $50.00. I decided to try the Celebrex now disregarding my doctors instructions. My very first day of taking Celebrex I noticed a big difference in my joint pain. I am on day three and my pain is much improved. Thank God!"

Linda in Covington September 11, 2014

"Reduced pain in my C2 but caused nausea, sinus pain, runny nose, cough, when taking 100mg daily, and severely increased symptoms when dose increased to 200 mg daily for one day. "

Wendyrd July 3, 2014

"I'm going to eventually have to have hip surgery, but Celebrex is the only medication that currently reduces my right hip pain to the point where I have restored quality of life."

CDEKR May 6, 2014

"I am 59 year old female. I have sport related injuries and have been suffering arthritis pain in both knees and hip for several years. Tried not to take medication all my life. Do not drink alcohol, tried chiropractic, tried massage therapy, do yoga regularly. But the pain was taking away my ability to enjoy life constant pain is a terrible thing. I have been taking Celebrex for approximately 1 week. I am sleeping better moving better and the pain has been reduced by at least 50%. Hoping to get my active life back. FINGERS CROSSED. Good Luck to fellow pain suffers this is definitely worth trying. Work with it. Don't drink alcohol. Eat something when you take it. I am on 2x200mg and will try to get that down to 1x. I tried 1x at first No Joy."

Fishing gal (taken for less than 1 month) March 10, 2014

"The problem I ran into however was it's side effects. I had to stop taking it as it affected my breathing to the point that I couldn't walk half a block without gasping for air. To this day I still have respiratory problems after taking this."

Ms Buhda February 20, 2014

"Have been taking about 3 weeks (200mg/daily). Started having irregular heartbeats after about 2 weeks. Stopped taking and it cleared up, I started taking again and irregular heartbeats have returned. I guess I will have to stop, what a shame--- it really helps the pain!!! "

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) October 31, 2013

"I feel as though I've been given a second chance at living. I am enjoying life for the first time in many years. I will be dropping off my walker, crutches and chair lift at the Goodwill this week (you may think I'm kidding--I'm serious). I do fear that the change might be temporary but, I'm going to enjoy everything while the pain is gone! (Five weeks pain free)."

KateRN (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 7, 2013

"Celebrex is great for pain, ten out of ten - but for me, it has unwanted side effects, such as stomach bloat and hair loss. I was on it for 3 years, and came off of it, and now I am back on it because of the pain. But, I am going to try some other osteoarthritis medicines, and hope for less side effects. I'm female and the side effects of Celebrex are terrible."

Anon22 September 30, 2013

"I took 200mg 1 per day, for osteoarthritis in my hands. The pain relief was amazing. I could sleep through the night, and wake rested, and was thrilled to have nearly pain free use of my hands. After 1 week I began to develop an irregular heartbeat. First day, it wasn't too noticeable, and I was able to ignore the feeling. The irregularity increased, that night it was difficult to sleep. Next day I spoke to the doctor who did an EKG. He said I was having Premature Ventricular Contractions (PVC). He advised I stop taking the Celebrex immediately. It took 4 days for the PVCs to subside. After waiting 2 weeks, I tried taking Celebrex again. After 3 days, the PVCs returned. Stopped the medicine, PVCs stopped. "

NYTess September 27, 2013

"I have osteoarthritis, primarily in my hands. On and off over the past 8 years, I've used Celebrex for flare-ups and can feel pain-free almost immediately! It is a miracle for any and all of my aches & pains. No negative side effects for me either. The only part is it's expense but today I found several websites that offer coupons for it."

summer60 June 14, 2013

"I was given some samples of Celebrex from my physician for wrist and hand pain. After I took the second capsule of 200 mg, I awoke in the night with an extremely bad headache, had the chills, aching muscles, runny nose and a dry hacking cough. I stopped taking the pills, but as my symptoms persisted, I believed I had the flu. Three weeks later, I again tried Celebrex and on the second day of taking the pills, I was again stricken with chills, a headache, nausea and the runny nose. These symptoms have stayed with me for the past three days. "

LJ 66 years of age, female (taken for less than 1 month) February 13, 2013

"I am a 76 year old female and have been taking Celebrex on and off for many years. When my arthritis gives me pain I take it for about 2 or 3 weeks and the pain is gone. Right now I have been taking it everyday for the last 3 months because I need a knee replacement and I am practically free of pain. I highly recommend Celebrex for any kind of pain. I have had no side effects."

Kaylenmar (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 2, 2013

84 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"This medicine is really great for pain. Down side makes my blood pressure rise."

bronxie (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 31, 2012

"Very expensive but worth it. I've have football knees and a bad back. This cleans up the stiffness and gets things circulating. Eat right after you take it. I have been taking this for years and I'd be lost without it."

experienced8585 (taken for 5 to 10 years) November 7, 2012

"This is the only medicine that works for me. I have tried many many others with no effect. I have MS and in pain all the time. Arthritis in my spine is very painful, and this really helps me."

Lazy_E (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 8, 2012

"I have severe osteoarthritis of the right knee and was facing a certain total knee replacement. As a "last resort" for pain relief, I tried Celebrex 200 mg. For about two months, there was no impact on pain or improved knee function. Then (as if by magic), the constant pain went away and my knee function returned to just about normal. I now have the ability to exercise and move like the whole thing never happened! I'm certainly glad I stuck with the medication, as it's been "almost a miracle". Now, I have to decide whether to proceed with knee replacement, or will Celebrex buy me a few more years."

SkepticJ December 24, 2011