User Reviews for Bupropion

Also known as: Aplenzin, Budeprion, Budeprion SR, Budeprion XL, Buproban, Forfivo XL, Wellbutrin, Wellbutrin SR, Wellbutrin XL, Zyban

Learn more about Bupropion.

Bupropion Review Summary

7.4/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 28 medications used in the treatment of ADHD.

Reviews for Bupropion to treat ADHD

"This medicine has literally helped so much, I take it with my Adderall but on occasions I'm out of Adderall this is where this medicine is awesome it helps withdrawals, my mood energy I think it's one of the best medicine is out there"

gets me back on my feet (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 20, 2015

"It gave me my life back. No more bouts of depression and I have my socaial life back! I have ADD symptoms and this helps me focus a great deal. I wish I knew about this years ago.I would never go off it now."

Annor (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 9, 2015

"I was just diagnosed at 40 with ADHD, depression and anxiety. I currently take 150mg & have noticed a Chang in moods & focus. I can complete projects, don't feel so hopeless, downcast, & helpless. I actually have a desire to live life. I am truly greatful for this medicine."

fast minds June 30, 2015

"I'm a 40-something mom and was just recently diagnosed with executive function issues. My doctor thought this might help me with focus issues. I had to stop taking after 2 douse. I felt light headed and like I wanted to jump out of my skin. When I stopped, I felt exhausted and got a major headache. I'm glad the medication works for some but it definitely didn't work for me."

Mom of two in 40s May 30, 2015

"According to my GP, bupropion (wellbutrin) takes 6 weeks to reach full effect. If you've been taking it for less time than that, wait! Give it the full 6 weeks before you reach any conclusions. As for me, this medication is a godsend! I've had zero side effects. My thoughts are clearer, not bouncing all over the place. It's a lot easier to focus on things that aren't terribly exciting. I don't get distracted as easily. For me, this is awesome stuff. I take 300mg extended release once a day, in the morning."

BayAreaHappyGuy (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 28, 2015

"I started taking Bupropion SR 150 mg for major depression brought on by untreated/undiagnosed ADHD. The doctor proscribed me to treat my major depression but found that it also caused me to be able to focus on what I needed to do such as read journal articles, something I was never able to before without getting bored. This lead to the ADHD diagnosis. I saw a notable change in my focus, energy levels and mood. No longer have suicidal thoughts and I can sit and read the information I need for research without getting a headache from rereading the same line over and over. The 3 side affects I have noticed were dry mouth, rapid weight loss and increased HR (110-115) with second dose (only take 150 a day now)."

ChemGirl84 February 12, 2015

"I was prescribed Effexor, moved to Cipralex, then to Imipramine and then to Cymbalta - doctor thought Generalized Anxiety Disorder. I was 2 years on Cymbalta and feeling impulsive, agitated, anxious, stressed, etc. Went to Psychiatrist instead of GP, he did some tests and indicated ADHD thing going on (anxiety was a symptom). Started Wellbutrin and what a difference. Clear concise thinking, lowered anxiety, not thinking at 100 mph and wow - impulsivity is controlled completely. Psychistrist and GP were floored! Now 6 months and only getting better. Wasn't able to save marriage but whoever gets me next is going to be very happy. Seriously, the control of Adult ADHD for me was life changing. Only side effect is not so hungry (not a bad thing)."

Well, well well... (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 10, 2014

117 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I tried Wellbutrin XL 300mg per day because I was worried about long term side effects of Adderall. It's been 2 months and so far so good. I'm not as focused but still pretty close. Only down fall is I can't fall asleep as well as I did with Adderall and I urinate like crazy. But I say the risks and side effects are less than with Adderall. I am happy this worked. After years of amphetamine type medicines I thought I was stuck. But this medicine is great. I hope it continues to work. Some background , I have had ADHD since childhood and now am in my thirties. I work full time as an NP, wife and mother of 3. As a medical provider I am greatly appreciative of this medicine, with less long term adverse side effects."

HyperNP (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 14, 2014

168 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I started taking 150 mg XL 2 weeks ago. (generic bupropion XL) Initial side effects were rapid heart beat in the evenings on occasion and insomnia. (I take 0.5 mg Xanax to sleep 1 pill each night) Still eating like normal but more conscious of healthy weight goals. Little anxious driving and a little more self conscious, but I feel better emotionally and am able to focus better. Not so harsh with my 12 year old or co workers. Able to step back for a few seconds and asses instead of reacting. So far the positives for me outweigh the side effects. Hopefully will get better in a couple weeks. I believe the pharmacy report stated 4-6 weeks for full effect."

PRPrincess (taken for less than 1 month) April 11, 2014

"I am an adult male in my 40s. I was very distracted, anxious and sexually had a driven behavior, almost addicted to it. It made me had problems with my personal relationships, fortunately sports became a scape, but still it was a concern. I was diagnosed ADHD and received Strattera for almost a year. It improved everything in my life but I always had a headache specially in the afternoon. My psychiatrist recommended Wellbutrin 150 once a day and then twice a day. It worked with me, I am not as focused as with Strattera but happier with no headaches . I take the first dose at 7.00 am and the second at 3.00 pm. If I cannot take it before that time I prefer to miss that dose, otherwise I can't sleep at night. "

Toto33 April 4, 2014

"I'm a 23 year old college student who didn't get diagnosed with ADHD until last year. I was on 150 mg of Wellbutrin XL then bumped up to 300 mg. The only way I can describe how this medicine makes me feel is even keeled. I love it. I'm not nearly as emotional, overwhelmed or distracted and my grades show it. The only complaints about this medicine is it makes me sweat and pee alot. Sometimes it makes me feel a little anxious but not all the time. Overall I'm very satisfied."

AmyUMD December 17, 2013

138 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I've been on a lot of different medicines over the years and so far Wellbutrin ER has helped so much. I take 150mg 2 times a day. It interrupts my sleep so the night time dose I take Atarax with it. My mind is clear, my moods are better. I feel human again."

mamaof3408 (taken for less than 1 month) September 11, 2013

"Buproprion has been an excellent medicine for my ADHD. In my case, also addresses depression well. Important that I take second daily dose about 2 pm or I can have sleep problems. It's not a panacea but it's a big move in the right direction."

BaxKen (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 9, 2013

73 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"It doesn't give you a hyper focus like Adderall but I noticed when I'm at work I can stay on task without my mind wondering around at any little distraction. I'm only on 150mg SR once a day and should be at 300mg a day but at this dose it sends my anxiety right up."

Druskee (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 4, 2013

"My doctor gave me Wellbutrin XL as an experiment. I was hyper, couldn't focus or stay still for very long. My mind raced and I was easily distracted. And like many other I had projects that were started but never finished. My shrink told me that my childhood characteristics were those of and ADD kid. As an adult in my 40's I still had the hyper and difficulty staying focused on one thing at a time. Wellbutrin starting at 100 mg and going up to 300mg once daily had a calming effect on me and I was more able to focus on one thing at a time instead of my thoughts being scattered and drifting. It did not have any effect on my erectile dysfunction problem though. If anything, it decreased my sexual drive. Wellbutrin has helped with my ADD symptoms and I feel calmer."

Teddybearmiller (taken for 10 years or more) May 2, 2012

103 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Wellbutrin (bupropion): "I've been on Wellbutrin for over a year now and I will probably be on it for the rest of my life. I have a dry mouth occasionally, food doesn't taste as good as it used to, and it makes me sweat a little more than normal, but without this medication I would be in a fetal position, in bed and crying most of the time. I would never even consider going off of it. I've tried for just a couple of days and the old symptoms of sadness start to set in. I took Zoloft for a while and it made me gain weight and I just wanted to sleep all the time. I was a zombie. If it weren't for Wellbutrin, I would probably be a recluse. Nothing interested me and I didn't want any social interaction. Now, I can't wait to get out and be around people. GOOD!"

Anonymous June 15, 2011

178 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Wellbutrin SR (bupropion): "I have never been on medicines for ADD. My parents refused, as an adult I found life to be difficult with this disorder. After taking Wellbutrin. Feel like my true self. Like a "normal" adult. I have focus and can complete tasks. I don't feel the need to stay in bed to avoid the world. This medicine has been a blessing."

adult ADD and depression May 6, 2011

181 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I was prescribed this medication for anxiety but it does not seem to help nearly as well as an SSRI in that department. I (as a female) have noticed only a small to moderate effect on sexual desire and function. The medication works much better for my ADHD than anything I have used before, I appreciate that it works 24/7 as opposed to stimulants."

kittenator April 12, 2011

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion): "I'M bipolar and ADHD. I took Tegretol and Effexor for 8 years. It worked for me but it was a death embrace. Cognitive functions related to attention willpower judgement declined. Read about lithiums neuroprotective properties and switched, which is working out for me. I added Wellbutrin 300 XL for the ADHD 3 weeks ago and so far it has increased my depression, it might be settling down though, I seem to be getting better. This has to work. These are bad days. Wish I had taken Lithium 10 years ago it has also helped with the ADHD."

razausman March 5, 2011

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion): "I am a college student who was having the hardest time concentrating while reading and writing. While reading my thoughts would take me away from the material in a matter of seconds, and while writing I would usually forget the end of the sentence of which I was writing before I got to it. After taking this medicine, 150mg once a day, for a couple months, I began experiencing a marked difference. I was finally able to be absorbed in my reading and could hold my thoughts while writing in a way I had never done before. However, recently I feel like the effects are wearing off. I am beginning again to not be able to pay attention while reading and writing. Perhaps moving up to 300mg will sustain the effects."

Timtim1010 December 4, 2010

116 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Wellbutrin SR (bupropion): "I have been on Wellbutrin for about a week and have already noticed a significant difference in my study abilities. I was able to actually sit down and actively study tonight for 4 hours and I have not been able to do that for years! I took Ritalin when I was in high school, but stopped taking it when I had a complete nervous breakdown. My doctor started me on 150mg twice daily and I tell you what, I feel like me again! Bright, alert, I have energy, and completely at ease and happy. Thank you Wellbutrin for giving me myself back again."

Ashers83 September 13, 2010

136 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion): "Absolutely brilliant medicine....... I live again."

Rishi. July 26, 2010

96 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion): "I am self diagnosed with borderline personality disorder. I have been diagnosed by doctors for PTSD, ADHD, SEVERE depression, and bipolar disorder. I take 1 x 150mg in the morning, but work full time in sales, go to school, and just recently moved in a year ago with the father of my 6 year old. Prior to this medicine, we almost didn't make it. I was angry, jealous, compulsive, impulsive, and could have committed suicide twice in one month. THIS MEDICINE HAS SAVED MY LIFE AND POSSIBLY MY FAMILY. NOTHING ELSE WORKED-- I also take 200mg of generic Lamictal twice a day. I AM ALIVE AGAIN."

TAYSMOM May 29, 2010

126 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Wellbutrin (bupropion): "Been on it for almost 2 weeks. Feels like nothings getting better. Used to be a caffeine addict stopped that, but now I have insomnia from this. Still have trouble waking up, getting motivated. My heart races and this puts me in a careless and out of it mood and want to try something else."

Anonymous May 19, 2010

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion): "I was like one of those fluorescent bulbs flickering out..had ADHD and depression. When I was upped to the 300mg in week two the bulb was changed, light was on. Forget the light, I was solar powered. Sexual side effects nymphomaniac 1st 2 weeks. Healthy by week 3. Husband couldn't keep up. I woke up without an alarm went to bed slept great. I started working out. Then I got a rash. I was devastated. I wanted to explore the possibility of continuing while living on allergy medicines. I tried that for a few day but the good feelings were gone. My body refused to cooperate with my mind and emotions. Drug Companies please come up with another antidepressant NDRI I can take. Goodbye Wellbutrin, with you the honeymoon was grand. Going to try out Cymbalta."

got2bme April 20, 2010