User Reviews for Bupropion

Also known as: Aplenzin, Budeprion, Budeprion SR, Budeprion XL, Buproban, Forfivo XL, Wellbutrin, Wellbutrin SR, Wellbutrin XL, Zyban

Learn more about Bupropion.

Bupropion review summary

7.3/10 Average Rating

Compare all 56 medications used in the treatment of ADHD.

Reviews for Bupropion to treat ADHD

Review by Toto33: User Rating:

bupropion: I am an adult male in my 40s. I was very distracted, anxious and sexually had a driven behavior, almost addicted to it. It made me had problems with my personal relationships, fortunately sports became a scape, but still it was a concern. I was diagnosed ADHD and received Strattera for almost a year. It improved everything in my life but I always had a headache specially in the afternoon. My psychiatrist recommended Wellbutrin 150 once a day and then twice a day. It worked with me, I am not as focused as with Strattera but happier with no headaches . I take the first dose at 7.00 am and the second at 3.00 pm. If I cannot take it before that time I prefer to miss that dose, otherwise I can't sleep at night.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 4, 2014 9:44 PM
Review by AmyUMD: User Rating:

bupropion: I'm a 23 year old college student who didn't get diagnosed with ADHD until last year. I was on 150 mg of Wellbutrin XL then bumped up to 300 mg. The only way I can describe how this medicine makes me feel is even keeled. I love it. I'm not nearly as emotional, overwhelmed or distracted and my grades show it. The only complaints about this medicine is it makes me sweat and pee alot. Sometimes it makes me feel a little anxious but not all the time. Overall I'm very satisfied.

December 17, 2013 11:04 AM
Review by mamaof3408 (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

bupropion: I've been on a lot of different medicines over the years and so far Wellbutrin ER has helped so much. I take 150mg 2 times a day. It interrupts my sleep so the night time dose I take Atarax with it. My mind is clear, my moods are better. I feel human again.

September 11, 2013 1:57 PM
Review by BaxKen (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

bupropion: Buproprion has been an excellent medicine for my ADHD. In my case, also addresses depression well. Important that I take second daily dose about 2 pm or I can have sleep problems. It's not a panacea but it's a big move in the right direction.

September 9, 2013 11:47 PM
Review by Druskee (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

bupropion: It doesn't give you a hyper focus like Adderall but I noticed when I'm at work I can stay on task without my mind wondering around at any little distraction. I'm only on 150mg SR once a day and should be at 300mg a day but at this dose it sends my anxiety right up.

September 4, 2013 3:26 AM
Review by Teddybearmiller (taken for 10 years or more): User Rating:

bupropion: My doctor gave me Wellbutrin XL as an experiment. I was hyper, couldn't focus or stay still for very long. My mind raced and I was easily distracted. And like many other I had projects that were started but never finished. My shrink told me that my childhood characteristics were those of and ADD kid. As an adult in my 40's I still had the hyper and difficulty staying focused on one thing at a time. Wellbutrin starting at 100 mg and going up to 300mg once daily had a calming effect on me and I was more able to focus on one thing at a time instead of my thoughts being scattered and drifting. It did not have any effect on my erectile dysfunction problem though. If anything, it decreased my sexual drive. Wellbutrin has helped with my ADD symptoms and I feel calmer.

May 2, 2012 9:18 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Wellbutrin (bupropion): I've been on Wellbutrin for over a year now and I will probably be on it for the rest of my life. I have a dry mouth occasionally, food doesn't taste as good as it used to, and it makes me sweat a little more than normal, but without this medication I would be in a fetal position, in bed and crying most of the time. I would never even consider going off of it. I've tried for just a couple of days and the old symptoms of sadness start to set in. I took Zoloft for a while and it made me gain weight and I just wanted to sleep all the time. I was a zombie. If it weren't for Wellbutrin, I would probably be a recluse. Nothing interested me and I didn't want any social interaction. Now, I can't wait to get out and be around people. GOOD!

77 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
June 15, 2011 12:44 AM
Review by adult ADD and depression: User Rating:

Wellbutrin SR (bupropion): I have never been on medicines for ADD. My parents refused, as an adult I found life to be difficult with this disorder. After taking Wellbutrin. Feel like my true self. Like a "normal" adult. I have focus and can complete tasks. I don't feel the need to stay in bed to avoid the world. This medicine has been a blessing.

82 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
May 6, 2011 3:16 PM
Review by kittenator: User Rating:

bupropion: I was prescribed this medication for anxiety but it does not seem to help nearly as well as an SSRI in that department. I (as a female) have noticed only a small to moderate effect on sexual desire and function. The medication works much better for my ADHD than anything I have used before, I appreciate that it works 24/7 as opposed to stimulants.

April 12, 2011 11:34 AM
Review by razausman: User Rating:

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion): I'M bipolar and ADHD. I took Tegretol and Effexor for 8 years. It worked for me but it was a death embrace. Cognitive functions related to attention willpower judgement declined. Read about lithiums neuroprotective properties and switched, which is working out for me. I added Wellbutrin 300 XL for the ADHD 3 weeks ago and so far it has increased my depression, it might be settling down though, I seem to be getting better. This has to work. These are bad days. Wish I had taken Lithium 10 years ago it has also helped with the ADHD.

March 5, 2011 12:04 AM
Review by Timtim1010: User Rating:

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion): I am a college student who was having the hardest time concentrating while reading and writing. While reading my thoughts would take me away from the material in a matter of seconds, and while writing I would usually forget the end of the sentence of which I was writing before I got to it. After taking this medicine, 150mg once a day, for a couple months, I began experiencing a marked difference. I was finally able to be absorbed in my reading and could hold my thoughts while writing in a way I had never done before. However, recently I feel like the effects are wearing off. I am beginning again to not be able to pay attention while reading and writing. Perhaps moving up to 300mg will sustain the effects.

56 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
December 4, 2010 2:28 PM
Review by Ashers83: User Rating:

Wellbutrin SR (bupropion): I have been on Wellbutrin for about a week and have already noticed a significant difference in my study abilities. I was able to actually sit down and actively study tonight for 4 hours and I have not been able to do that for years! I took Ritalin when I was in high school, but stopped taking it when I had a complete nervous breakdown. My doctor started me on 150mg twice daily and I tell you what, I feel like me again! Bright, alert, I have energy, and completely at ease and happy. Thank you Wellbutrin for giving me myself back again.

66 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
September 13, 2010 10:55 PM
Review by Rishi.: User Rating:

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion): Absolutely brilliant medicine....... I live again.

July 26, 2010 9:25 AM
Review by TAYSMOM:

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion): I am self diagnosed with borderline personality disorder. I have been diagnosed by doctors for PTSD, ADHD, SEVERE depression, and bipolar disorder. I take 1 x 150mg in the morning, but work full time in sales, go to school, and just recently moved in a year ago with the father of my 6 year old. Prior to this medicine, we almost didn't make it. I was angry, jealous, compulsive, impulsive, and could have committed suicide twice in one month. THIS MEDICINE HAS SAVED MY LIFE AND POSSIBLY MY FAMILY. NOTHING ELSE WORKED-- I also take 200mg of generic Lamictal twice a day. I AM ALIVE AGAIN.

74 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
May 29, 2010 1:20 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Wellbutrin (bupropion): Been on it for almost 2 weeks. Feels like nothings getting better. Used to be a caffeine addict stopped that, but now I have insomnia from this. Still have trouble waking up, getting motivated. My heart races and this puts me in a careless and out of it mood and want to try something else.

May 19, 2010 1:23 PM
Review by got2bme: User Rating:

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion): I was like one of those fluorescent bulbs flickering out..had ADHD and depression. When I was upped to the 300mg in week two the bulb was changed, light was on. Forget the light, I was solar powered. Sexual side effects nymphomaniac 1st 2 weeks. Healthy by week 3. Husband couldn't keep up. I woke up without an alarm went to bed slept great. I started working out. Then I got a rash. I was devastated. I wanted to explore the possibility of continuing while living on allergy medicines. I tried that for a few day but the good feelings were gone. My body refused to cooperate with my mind and emotions. Drug Companies please come up with another antidepressant NDRI I can take. Goodbye Wellbutrin, with you the honeymoon was grand. Going to try out Cymbalta.

April 20, 2010 10:39 PM

Wellbutrin SR (bupropion): Had little to no effect on my ADHD

March 15, 2010 4:51 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Budeprion XL (bupropion): I have been taking Wellbutrin for 8 plus years. Then went to SR, then XL. Helped with my ADHD with Adderall too. Went off for about a year and started back. To save money went to generic 150mg XL - they were great. When Dr. suggested increasing back to 300mg daily (as previously) I agreed. I started taking the 300mg XL generics - the symptoms returned. I noticed when I opened the bottle there as a noxious odor given off. After 4 weeks couldn't stand the smell and returned the rest of the pills to my pharmacy. They replaced them and said they would look into the problem. The 150 mg SR generics stink too. Only the 150mg XL generics don't.

February 5, 2010 1:57 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion): I have been on Wellbutrin for several months and am amazed at how it has helped my ADD. My anxiety and sense of being overwhelmed is so much better. However, I'm finding that 4 to 5 hours after taking my pill I am having severe dizziness to the point where I feel like I"m going to pass out and all my limbs are about to go completely limp. It almost feels like an out-of-body experience and I'm losing control. Not good since today it happened while driving my car - lasted for about an hour and then subsided. It's happened many times during the day while I've been at my desk working. So, I see my doctor this Thursday and am hoping that I won't have to go off it. The side effects of the stimulants that I've tried have been horrible.

January 18, 2010 5:38 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion): Wellbutrin has helped the anxiety and depression associated with my ADD. After quitting smoking my Adderall quit being effective. Rather than upping my dose of my stimulant medication, I opted for "nicotine replacement therapy." I am so glad I did. This is the most effective thing I have ever tried. In the past I have tried Zoloft and Effexor.

January 3, 2010 1:24 PM
Review by jackie2010: User Rating:

bupropion: I was given the generic Bupropion XL. I started with 150mg for the 1st week and then went to 300mg after that. The first 3 weeks were amazing. My quality of sleep got better. My mind was no longer on overdrive. I had a never ending list of unfinished projects that I was now able to focus and breeze through. It also helped me to stop binge eating. The only negative side effect was that I started getting mild-severe acne but changing my skin care routine helped it. Then at week 4, everything went down hill. I was taking Bupropion in the morning at 9am and by 11am, I couldn't keep my eyes opens. I would end up sleeping all day. I feel so tired that I can't do anything and I can't focus. It just stopped working.

January 2, 2010 2:57 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion): I started taking 150 mg of bupropion (the generic Wellbutrin) and after a couple weeks doubled it to 300 mg after my doctor told me to. Exactly one week later I broke out into the biggest, puffiest, itchiest hives all over my body. My joints also became swollen, stiff, and painful. My throat was also sore and tight. I ended up in the ER. WHAT'S REALLY SAD IS THAT IT WAS WORKING WONDERS FOR ME! I studied half as much and it was twice as effective, my test grades were great! I'm now trying to decide between Effexor or Straterra.

November 30, 2009 5:32 PM
Review by Rx2009: User Rating:

Wellbutrin (bupropion): I have ADHD as well as epilepsy. I have taken just about everything for ADHD, and with my siezure history I have no clue as to why this was prescribed to me. (Actually it was new, I got samples.) Mildly stimulating, but in the wrong part of the brain for ADHD. I had seizures and got off it when I found out it caused seizures in people who aren't epileptic.

October 27, 2009 5:38 AM
Review by Coriander: User Rating:

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion): I absolutely loved this medication. Within a few short weeks, for the first time ever I was able to complete tasks I never thought I'd finish. In one day I excitedly completed 6 projects that had been sitting around unfinished for months. Sadly for me, I got a horrible rash and realized I was allergic to it. I've tried a few other medications, but for me, nothing's ever come close to being as effective.

August 9, 2009 3:02 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Wellbutrin (bupropion): I have always had this feeling of being scattered, very much able to project manage, etc. but it took considerable amounts of "mental energy" as compared to others and every thought had an emotional connection to it. Well, I started Wellbutrin 300 mg instant release (best in my opinion) 4 per day. From the very first day, I felt this "swooooosh" slow down within my mind and could smell better, colors were amazingly bright and I was laughing and smiling again. I was not depressed previous to taking Wellbutrin as I knew I had dopamine (reward/pleasure center) issues. Take BRAND only - it is AMAZING - I feel like a child again! WOW!

88 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
June 11, 2009 12:34 AM