User Reviews for Bupropion

Also known as: Aplenzin, Budeprion, Budeprion SR, Budeprion XL, Buproban, Forfivo XL, Wellbutrin, Wellbutrin SR, Wellbutrin XL, Zyban

Learn more about Bupropion.

Bupropion Rating Summary

7.4/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 52 medications used in the treatment of ADHD.

Reviews for Bupropion to treat ADHD

"I've only been on it for 4 days but I refused to go back on Adderall. I require 2 30mg Adderall tablets a day and experience audio hallucinations after taking it for about 18 months. I have been off Adderall for 15 months. I told my Dr. I refuse to be back on it. I also suffer from an anxiety disorder. All of my mental health care is very well-documented from the time I was 14 years old. I am now 32 and at a place in my life where I do not want to take any stimulants to help me Focus. I do take lorazepam but I'm down to 15/ 2 milligram tablets a month from 60. I seem to have energy and increased concentration with Wellbutrin. Adderall keeps me more focused but it's not worth the side effects. I also take 1/3mg of Lunesta to sleep."

Monofletch (taken for less than 1 month) April 29, 2016

"Started out at 150 mg xl, and just upped my dosage to 300 mg xl. This medication has worked wonders for me. It definitely helps with attention span, and impulse control, without making me feel on edge like some stimulants did. I am very productive at work, and I find it easier to stay on task. Overall happiness & motivation has increased immensely. Best medication I've been prescribed so far."

Great Medication April 4, 2016

"I've been on 200mg bupropion (regular release, not SR/XR) total for over 5 years along with an SSRI. I have depression and ADD. The bupropion helps the focus, though it can make me feel impatient and irritable when it "peaks". I like it because it helps the depression, ADHD and restless legs and helps offset the negative effect of SSRIs on libido. It does make intrusive images/thoughts worse. I will have sudden mental images of violence (for instance, suddenly getting slammed into by another car while driving) but I'm used to my brain being a pest so I let it roll off me. Helps with motivation and planning and organization. Can cause dry mouth and slight ringing in the ears."

Mizzerella (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 10, 2016

"Started wellbutrin 150 XL once a day last year. Went up to 300 XL once a day. I felt very hyper, so went back go 150. Six months later tried above again. This time feel great. Very calm. Wonder why that is?"

SandySeba February 6, 2016

"Well I'm halfway through week 2 and I am absolutely loving my life right now. I lost my job in October and my wife in the same month. I was severely depressed and experienced major anxiety as well. Today (1 week and 3 days in) I'm laughing, being funny feeling awesome. I also used to abuse alcohol. I started to drink to slow the thoughts that raced in my head down. Since being on this the focus is totally apparent. The motivation is apparent, the memory is a little off, but remember I haven't reached full efficacy. That should be 4-5 weeks max. Had some trembling in my hands heart palpation a bit nothing you can't get through. Smoking and drinking have both gone down "

Jp1003 (taken for less than 1 month) February 3, 2016

"It takes the edge off my ADD without making me feel drugged. It also takes a few days to notice it's effect when you start taking it. Also, it keeps working a few days after you stop taking it."

T. W. February 1, 2016

"Almost 30 and this is the first time I sought help for ADD. It has truly been a scourge in my life. Been on bupropion over 3 weeks. 300 mg per day. I don't have depression and am taking this for ADD. Nothing has changed for me other than urinating more."

DreamKing805 January 29, 2016

"I am 43 years old & was diagnosed with ADD at age 24. I have taken a variety of drugs to treat the ADD, but with no success. Started taking Wellbutrin 300mg 5 years ago & will take it till the day I die. Life changing. More focussed, clear headed, juggling less thoughts simultaniously, less stressed, no more mood swings, feel I have more control over my life, etc. When I started taking it, I had terrible side-effects, insomnia being the worst. But I stuck it out & only at 6 weeks felt the difference. Will highly recommend for ADD!"

Ilze, South Africa January 28, 2016

"started on Wellbutrin XL 150 ER once a day for a week before being bumped to 300mg. Day 1: felt like I was walking in a dream state, also felt like my soultimate was being pulled through the front of my body by a magnet. Strange but kinda cool. Day 2: woke up after 6 hours refreshed with energy. first time in over 7 months this happened, and has continued to happen every day. Much more focused mentally, much calmer. Day 3-7: same as day 2. Day 8: Bumped to 300mgs, felt supercharged, back to the dreamlike state, no magnet pulling at my should this time, extremely focused, libido through the roof which was nice surprise too, appetite suppressed a bit, I'm a bodybuilder so that's not good for me but can eat as much with a bit of effort."

TommyMacIrish (taken for less than 1 month) January 24, 2016

"Great for me. Increase my attention and help decrease my sleeping mood during a day."

Sherrii12 November 6, 2015

"Diagnosed with ADHD at age 21 I was unable to take the typical agents used to treat ADHD namely stimulants. Wellbutrin XL has been a godsend for me to help a battle some of the ADHD symptoms without the nasty side effects in come down blouse of stimulants."

Uback007 October 22, 2015

"My doctor switched me from celexa to Wellbutrin for my anxiety but I also experience not being able to focus so much while I'm at school. I'm hoping this medication helps me overall. I'm waiting for my shipment to come in. Reading that it's helped a lot of you guys on here makes me feel much better about taking it, I was a little nervous."

starlime October 2, 2015

"I got diagnosed with ADHD very early in life. They had me an Adderall. I stopped taking It around age 18. Now that I'm 21 and the ADHD is still prevalent I went to get help. They started me on Welbutrin to hell curb the depression and maybe help with the ADHD. I think my depression is cause by the ADHD. Not depression is cause ADHD. The welbutrin hasn't done to much for the ADHD side, but has helped with mood. I'd give a higher rating if this was depression."

Cammyjay September 30, 2015

"I like this medicine very much . It's a smoother form of adderal but not as habit forming . I can eat and sleep . I can concentrate better and enjoy life . It really helps me with my depression ."

headknocker September 5, 2015

"This medicine has literally helped so much, I take it with my Adderall but on occasions I'm out of Adderall this is where this medicine is awesome it helps withdrawals, my mood energy I think it's one of the best medicine is out there"

gets me back on my feet (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 20, 2015

"It gave me my life back. No more bouts of depression and I have my socaial life back! I have ADD symptoms and this helps me focus a great deal. I wish I knew about this years ago.I would never go off it now."

Annor (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 9, 2015

"I was just diagnosed at 40 with ADHD, depression and anxiety. I currently take 150mg & have noticed a Chang in moods & focus. I can complete projects, don't feel so hopeless, downcast, & helpless. I actually have a desire to live life. I am truly greatful for this medicine."

fast minds June 30, 2015

"I'm a 40-something mom and was just recently diagnosed with executive function issues. My doctor thought this might help me with focus issues. I had to stop taking after 2 douse. I felt light headed and like I wanted to jump out of my skin. When I stopped, I felt exhausted and got a major headache. I'm glad the medication works for some but it definitely didn't work for me."

Mom of two in 40s May 30, 2015

"According to my GP, bupropion (wellbutrin) takes 6 weeks to reach full effect. If you've been taking it for less time than that, wait! Give it the full 6 weeks before you reach any conclusions. As for me, this medication is a godsend! I've had zero side effects. My thoughts are clearer, not bouncing all over the place. It's a lot easier to focus on things that aren't terribly exciting. I don't get distracted as easily. For me, this is awesome stuff. I take 300mg extended release once a day, in the morning."

BayAreaHappyGuy (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 28, 2015

"I started taking Bupropion SR 150 mg for major depression brought on by untreated/undiagnosed ADHD. The doctor proscribed me to treat my major depression but found that it also caused me to be able to focus on what I needed to do such as read journal articles, something I was never able to before without getting bored. This lead to the ADHD diagnosis. I saw a notable change in my focus, energy levels and mood. No longer have suicidal thoughts and I can sit and read the information I need for research without getting a headache from rereading the same line over and over. The 3 side affects I have noticed were dry mouth, rapid weight loss and increased HR (110-115) with second dose (only take 150 a day now)."

ChemGirl84 February 12, 2015

"I was prescribed Effexor, moved to Cipralex, then to Imipramine and then to Cymbalta - doctor thought Generalized Anxiety Disorder. I was 2 years on Cymbalta and feeling impulsive, agitated, anxious, stressed, etc. Went to Psychiatrist instead of GP, he did some tests and indicated ADHD thing going on (anxiety was a symptom). Started Wellbutrin and what a difference. Clear concise thinking, lowered anxiety, not thinking at 100 mph and wow - impulsivity is controlled completely. Psychistrist and GP were floored! Now 6 months and only getting better. Wasn't able to save marriage but whoever gets me next is going to be very happy. Seriously, the control of Adult ADHD for me was life changing. Only side effect is not so hungry (not a bad thing)."

Well, well well... (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 10, 2014

167 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I tried Wellbutrin XL 300mg per day because I was worried about long term side effects of Adderall. It's been 2 months and so far so good. I'm not as focused but still pretty close. Only down fall is I can't fall asleep as well as I did with Adderall and I urinate like crazy. But I say the risks and side effects are less than with Adderall. I am happy this worked. After years of amphetamine type medicines I thought I was stuck. But this medicine is great. I hope it continues to work. Some background , I have had ADHD since childhood and now am in my thirties. I work full time as an NP, wife and mother of 3. As a medical provider I am greatly appreciative of this medicine, with less long term adverse side effects."

HyperNP (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 14, 2014

206 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I started taking 150 mg XL 2 weeks ago. (generic bupropion XL) Initial side effects were rapid heart beat in the evenings on occasion and insomnia. (I take 0.5 mg Xanax to sleep 1 pill each night) Still eating like normal but more conscious of healthy weight goals. Little anxious driving and a little more self conscious, but I feel better emotionally and am able to focus better. Not so harsh with my 12 year old or co workers. Able to step back for a few seconds and asses instead of reacting. So far the positives for me outweigh the side effects. Hopefully will get better in a couple weeks. I believe the pharmacy report stated 4-6 weeks for full effect."

PRPrincess (taken for less than 1 month) April 11, 2014

73 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I am an adult male in my 40s. I was very distracted, anxious and sexually had a driven behavior, almost addicted to it. It made me had problems with my personal relationships, fortunately sports became a scape, but still it was a concern. I was diagnosed ADHD and received Strattera for almost a year. It improved everything in my life but I always had a headache specially in the afternoon. My psychiatrist recommended Wellbutrin 150 once a day and then twice a day. It worked with me, I am not as focused as with Strattera but happier with no headaches . I take the first dose at 7.00 am and the second at 3.00 pm. If I cannot take it before that time I prefer to miss that dose, otherwise I can't sleep at night. "

Toto33 April 4, 2014

98 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I'm a 23 year old college student who didn't get diagnosed with ADHD until last year. I was on 150 mg of Wellbutrin XL then bumped up to 300 mg. The only way I can describe how this medicine makes me feel is even keeled. I love it. I'm not nearly as emotional, overwhelmed or distracted and my grades show it. The only complaints about this medicine is it makes me sweat and pee alot. Sometimes it makes me feel a little anxious but not all the time. Overall I'm very satisfied."

AmyUMD December 17, 2013

162 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
Page 1 2 3 Next