Medication Guide App

User Reviews for Dulcolax

Learn more about Dulcolax.

Dulcolax review summary

7.4/10 Average Rating

Compare all 216 medications used in the treatment of Constipation.

Reviews for Dulcolax to treat Constipation

Review by Female20 (taken for less than 1 month):

I am 5 feet and 135 pounds. I took ONE tablet and had multiple NORMAL BMs over a 24-hour period with no cramping, nausea, or sweats. TIPS: 1) Take with ALOT of water and some food; 2) TAKE ONE at the beginning; 3) DON'T IMMEDIATELY SLEEP; 4) WAIT 24 HOURS BEFORE TAKING MORE.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 26, 2015 1:20 AM

Review by RandomUser125:

I took three tablets around 9:00 at night and wen't to bed a few hours later. At 3AM, I woke up feeling sick. I hurried to the bathroom and dry heaved a few times before sitting on the toilet to try to feel better. My first BM wasn't very satisfying and I still felt like crap. I laid down again only to have to get out of bed 5 minutes later. This time, I barely made it to the toilet and had extremely bad diarrhea. I had to go again and again throughout the night. It really cleaned me out and I had a little more diarrhea at work. Explosive diarrhea isn't ideal, but I'm cleaned out!

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 25, 2015 7:09 AM

Review by tasha888 (taken for less than 1 month):

I took one as stated on the box approximately 9pm. I have been sat on the toilet since 3 am with the most excruciating stomach cramps and worst diarrhea I have ever had.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 16, 2015 9:54 PM

Review by sem7:

After reading all the comments I was worried about trying dulcolax but after 9 days with little or no BM I gave it a go. I took 1 to begin with but nothing...no cramps either...so the next night I tried 2 but still nothing. I was worried about trying 3 so took them in the morning and continued eating but maybe the food stopped them working? A few cramps but that was it so I took 3 again last night with a large glass of water at 10pm and things started moving about 7am. No cramping or nausea and it's now 1pm and I think I'm done! I'm very healthy generally, 5 ft 5 and 119lbs and have never taken laxatives before so I think it must just be luck of the draw so don't automatically be put off from the horror stories.

April 12, 2015 7:13 AM

Review by carebear1:

My experience was really good. I had little stomach pain. I took it at 6pm so I could drink lots of fluids till 8p. Then at 630a I went diarrhea. I just had trouble sleeping bc the constipation was no Bueno. The culprit in my stomach was gas and it was making me feel fatigue :-( I'm all better now and feeling good today. What also helped was drinking water and prune juice frequently. I believe it takes the side effects of the laxative away.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 11, 2015 12:03 PM

Review by hcbikelife (taken for less than 1 month):

I've been constipated for about 5-6 days. I've never used Dulcolax before so I took only 1 at 10pm at around 6 am I had to go...I feel very relieved and no pain or cramps :-) If you never used this before and you don't know how your body will react, take only 1 first! Very happy with this product !!!

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 11, 2015 5:08 AM

This stuff hurts. I took three like an idiot, at around 9:30 last night. It's sometime before seven in the morning, and I'm going that's for sure, but my stomach is in my throat!! The cramps are horrid, and I want to vomit.

April 5, 2015 5:49 AM

Review by dy0911:

Had been struggling for about a week to go regularly so I decided to try something new. I took 3 pills @10pm with a 16oz bottle of water and woke up @3am with horrible cramping that lasted about 3hrs but overall it got the job done. I would definitely recommend this just not the dosage I would start with one....good luck

March 29, 2015 9:45 AM

Review by Not Happy310:

This is the second time I've used Dulcolax. The box says you will get a bowel movement in 6-12 hours. I took 2 pills both instances on both times nothing happened until almost 20 hours later.

March 20, 2015 11:36 AM

Review by Satisfaction:

This was my first time taking a laxative. I took two 5mg tablets at noon yesterday. After I took the tablets I decided to read the reviews and needless to say I was horrified by the talk of cramps, vomiting, and long-lasting effects. However, it worked wonderfully for me. About an hour after I took the tablets, I had a regular BM. Then after work around 6 I had a watery BM. I had two more watery BMs before I went to bed. I could feel my guts moving, but no cramping. The only "nausea" I felt was the same kind you get when you have diarrhea. I was very satisfied and will definitely take again.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 11, 2015 7:29 AM

Review by no more love:

I use a pill form it said to take 3 for my age. I did so, did around at 7 pm. It did not work until the next day at 8 am I woke up feeling like I have to poop but I actually vomited everything I ate the night before I got the shakes n fainted for a few seconds. Now its later I. The day n I'm doing diarrhea but now there blood I assume...still feel constipated

March 10, 2015 7:21 PM

Review by Constipation (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I had constipation, bloating, chest pains, and gastritis for a few days causing agonizing pain, I took one and amazing it cleaned my entire digestive system, bloating, chest pains, and gastritis cramps stopped. What a blessing.

March 7, 2015 6:39 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

I had been constipated for days due to my medications. I took 2 pills and was able to move a bowel with no pain.

March 1, 2015 2:00 PM

Review by kpt (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I take Dulcolax when I feel like my bowel system is playing up. Or to avoid serious constipation. I usually take it with a glass of water. But it doesn't help with the cramps, ever. It wakes me up at 6 am if 1 pill is taken between 10 p.m to 11 p.m. Cramps are top bad but the relief is great. Works almost every time for me.

February 28, 2015 12:40 AM

I have always had constipation I am now pregnant I haven't been to the bathroom over 2 weeks I took one pill 5:30 pm I woke up with serve cramps and vomiting I mean very painful about 5:00am I use the bathroom like I never have before this pill is awesome !!!!

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 25, 2015 1:01 PM

Review by Jjisjusttoniceb (taken for 10 years or more):

This pill is just simplest Amazing. I have severe to moderate constipation. Three pills alway does the trick for me. Although you may experience pain cramps. But out other than that this pill is a lifesavior

February 19, 2015 8:23 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

I cannot describe the amount of excruciating pain this medicine causes. Nothing I say will describe the feeling. Do not take this. You will most definitely be in pain. First I was woken up by severe nausea and that last about an hour before raging event came. All night long! Back and forth to the bathroom. I would think there's no way I have anything left in me and bam there I am on the toilet again! To say it works is an understatement.

February 18, 2015 6:24 AM

Review by On vacation (taken for less than 1 month):

I've had some constipation issues this last month. I thought I was over them. By his weekend on vacation I wasn't feeling well and then spent a night with cramps and passing a 1/2 teaspoon of diarrhea at a time. In the morning I took a gasx and one ducolax pill and drank some gatoraid. I then went out thinking I had six hours of so. I took three nibbles of the most incredible food and had instant cramping. After spending the whole meal time in the bathroom I lnew I had to take a cab back to the hotel asap-I could stand. The moment I got to my hotel I had a large loose bowel movement. The cramps with the ducolax were not worse than what I was suffering the the bowel obstruction/constipation. I am just so bummed that I couldn't eat.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 16, 2015 4:47 PM

Review by L.A.26 (taken for less than 1 month):

A friend told me to take 3 pink pills of Dulcolax so I did, at 7pm I woke up at 5am with my stomach hurting bad in tears. I was throwing up a lot too. I didn't go till 8am then went all day with diarrhea. Now it had been 7 days till last night. I took 1 of the pills it did nothing I ended up having to do an enema. I did one and it did nothing I had to do 2 and then finally went 20 mins later. I guess I'll have to use 2 pink pills next time. Ohh and I did not drink water so next time I will make sure of it! Thanks hope this helps.

January 25, 2015 1:50 PM

Review by Surgery Sucks (taken for less than 1 month):

I haven't had a bowel movement in about 8 or 9 days. I took two pills around midnight and woke up around 5am to a bowel movement. It helped my constipation. I went back to sleep and woke up about 7am to an immediate bowel movement. It is now 7:45am and hopefully this is over. Works great though.

January 21, 2015 7:45 AM

Review by Vale2199:

I haven't had a bowel movement for 2 weeks so yesterday I took two in the morning and went to the bathroom around 3pm but it didn't fully help so I also took one in the evening. Around 2am I had the most painful cramps I've experienced in my life, but then again, it did clean me out and I didn't drink water so that was a big mistake. My advice is to take 1 if it has only been less than a week and 3 for over two weeks. The cramps are pretty bearable if the bathroom is right next to you, so good luck.

January 14, 2015 2:05 PM

Review by Walon (taken for less than 1 month):

I have chronic constipation. I am trying any thing and everything to have a bowel movement. Dulcolax did nothing for me. Very disappointing.

January 11, 2015 10:12 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

This is a quick and effective laxative to relieve constipation however alternatives should be considered first. Magnesium syrup is always a good try, senna, speak to your pharmacist about the best things to take they are always helpful. I only take 1 tablet and it takes effect within a few hours, server cramping, nausea, sweating, diarrhoea,have felt like I may pass out, but these effects only last about an hour for myself. Therefore I think this should be kept for a last result!

January 3, 2015 7:30 AM

Review by Love to travel:

So I was having cramps for 2 days decided to try this by recommendation. Took 3 tablets at 9:00 pm woke up at midnight with chills the worst cramps since childbirth & ran to the restroom! 2 hours later I woke up to thee worst sweats & nausea wasn't sure which end to put on above the toilet! Then woke up 2 hours later with the cramping again! So Yes this stuff works! But seriously start with 1 tablet and yes I stayed in bed the following day due to my lower back and stomach being so sore from the cramping.

December 28, 2014 12:56 AM

Review by Hurting Badly:

I tried it and took 2 pills with lots of water and ended staying up all night crying from severe abdominal pains then throwing up with the pain becoming worse finally 12 hours later while still in pain I had the most painful bowel movement...I'm still on bed rest from the cramps and it hurts to stand upright... If you choose to take this please be careful its effective but at a painful cost

61 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 21, 2014 5:58 AM