User Reviews for Dulcolax

Learn more about Dulcolax.

Dulcolax Rating Summary

5.7/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 184 medications used in the treatment of Constipation.

Reviews for Dulcolax to treat Constipation

"These took almost twenty four hours to work. I decided to take two at 10.30am rather than before bed as I had read drinking lots and eating helps to reduce the stomach cramps. After reading other horror stories of nausea, projectile vomiting and cramps worse than giving birth I braced myself. No need really at all. Yes I felt a little sick and my stomach became bloated throughout the day. Went to bed terrified I was going to wake up in crippling agony. Nothing. Woke up the following morning and at 7am my stomach felt like washing machine. What followed was diarrhoea on and off all morning but not the I can't cope shoot me now kind. It didn't hurt and I have not had one cramp, sweat or feeling of faintness."

Constipated connie May 20, 2016

"Dulcolax Pink-SAVE YOURSELVES & don't take it! 10 hours after taking it I began to get some stomach cramps & gas. 12 hours in, I finally had a bowel movement. Just a few minutes later, I had another, but this was diarrhea. After that it was like spewing liquid hot lava out of my bottom every hour or so for 10 hours. I lost count but this stuff wreaking havoc on my poor bottom happened at least 12 times. The stomach cramping was the most intense I've ever experienced. Each time I sat on the toilet I thought I was going to throw up & felt faint & was drenched in sweat. I legitimately thought I might have to go to the ER but no way I could drive-I considered calling 911 for an ambulance, but waited it out instead. Worst experience ever."

Tiny little pills of horror (taken for less than 1 month) May 15, 2016

"took 2 pills around 10 p.m. continued to drink around 4 water bottles before falling asleep at about 12. Woke up at 5:15 with some pretty harsh pain and cramping in my stomach along with nausea. Went to the bathroom and sat on the toilet for a couple hours with diarrhea, in the end it did exactly what it was intended to. Stomach pain is harsh but it gets the job done."

digestivedonkey May 11, 2016

"I've had some trouble doing a BM so I decided to take this pill. Took two, not much happened (a small BM) and I went to bed. 2:00 am rolls around and I have INCREDIBLE stomach cramps and pain coming in and out-- I felt like I was giving BIRTH! Tried to do it on my own but to no avail, ran out to the cabinet and got a third pill. Worked well in the end, but I just wonder if the two before bed was the cause of my upset stomach and crampage! In the end, it was totally worth it. I'm at ease for the night and that's all that matters."

in trouble (taken for less than 1 month) May 7, 2016

"I took two pills along with 4 teaspoons of Castor oil about 2.5 hours ago. Still waiting. Hoping I didn't screw up to bad by taking both, and two dulcolax pills...we will see"

Pluggedupinks May 7, 2016

"I used to use this medication whenever I was constipated and was okay. However on one occasion I had a very nasty side effect, I vomited violently, had terrible cramping pain and was screaming in agony. It was as bad as labour! I won't go into too much detail regarding the terrible amount that passed out of me, but vomiting and the runs is not nice at all. I have never had this side effect with another laxative and will never use it again. I believe it is unpredictable - because I used it previously and nothing terrible happened - but I literally thought I was dying when I had that horrid experience. If it happens to you I hope you drank lots of water afterwards. I felt really ill and weak. I should've reported this sooner!"

Potty Queen May 4, 2016

"It definitely makes you go but omg the nausea is awful. I didn't throw up but I couldn't even talk or move in bed because I had to concentrate so hard not to throw u . The stomach pain is really awful. Comparison is to like the stomach flu. I've been taking laxatives for years and never have I felt this before. Especially after reading all these reviews I know I'm not the only one. Too intense. Like....damn I wanted a BM but not to get the flu with it geez"

Needed to go (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 3, 2016

"It didn't do anything. I took probably 8 over the course of 12 hours (a few every 4 hours, not all at once!). Still nothing! It did leave a really weird taste in my mouth that made me nauseous. Waste of money."

BiBimBap May 2, 2016

"I've taken dulcolax before and didn't have a bad experience so I wasn't prepared for what was to come. I was slightly constipated and had to call into work yesterday due to really painful cramps so last night I took ONE dulcolax around 10pm, had a midnight snack (easy mac) and then fell asleep. I don't even remember getting to the toilet but all of a sudden I was on the toilet and it was like a tap turned on full and cringing in pain from my stomach, I was so weak, dizzy, sweaty, once the diarrhea would stop I'd tumble off the toilet onto the floor and lay in the fetal position crying. Thank God for my boyfriend he got me a water and a plastic bin so I could poo and vomit at the same time. It was miserable. It's 1130a now and I'm still having cramps"

Horrible yucky fuck May 2, 2016

"The expierence was awful, but the reviews here seem to be inaccurate. First, you feel as if gas is stuck inside of you. Second, comes a wave of nausea. Third, you're on the toilet for almost an hour and a half and in extreme pain. The pain isn't ER worthy at all. Advil helped me. Once you go #2 and everything flushes your system you're left with diarrhea and the cramps right before going to the restroom. The pain for me was on my sides and abdomen. Also, the pain was on my back and my hips. I took three. DO NOT TAKE 2-3 PILLS. TAKE ONLY ONE. One has the desired effects without the majority of the pain. I hope this helped"

N/A... April 25, 2016

"Very effective in stimulating a BM. However, this medicine can cause bad stomach cramps, bloating and nausea. I'm used to this as I have had constipation my whole life so take laxatives a lot. However, I would only take this if more natural methods of relieving constipation aren't working. Definitely do not take this medicine if you are out or working the next day! you won't feel well."

Anna19 (taken for less than 1 month) April 24, 2016

"I have never in my life felt that helpless! Extreme pain, nausea, and felt faint. Don't take this if you are home alone. I was throwing up and having the runs at the same time! Barely had the energy to call my husbands name for help. He got me a cold rag and a water! I couldn't have gotten it myself it was that horrific! But it defintely relieves constipation! It's 100% going to clean your guts out! I took 2."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) April 24, 2016

"I was constipated for a few days so I decided to give these a shot...never again. The most severe stomach cramps I've ever had in my life, and they lasted for two hours. Two hours of sweating profusely, lying on the bathroom floor crying from the pain, considering how embarrassing an ER visit would be at 3 am because of Dulcolax cramps. It's like period cramps but a hundred times worse. When the medicine finally did its job, it produced staggered streams of hot lava for the remainder of the night. Needless to say, the intense pain wasn't worth the small, painful BM."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) April 22, 2016

"I thought I was going to die. I vomited everything in my stomach out on the bathroom floor. I considered calling 911. once I vomited I felt better. Never again will I take this dulcolax."

Tonybaloni616 April 22, 2016

"Well I have taken 5mg on several occasions and it did the job fine but then 5mg stopped working. I hadn't pooped in like 5 days so I took 10mg late last night. I have a flu/cold so I should have known my body would be more sensitive. Woke up out of a dead sleep at 6 am and been having lots of very watery diarrhea since. Took 3 imodium with no effect what so ever. I can't stop pooping."

Chickenwing (taken for less than 1 month) April 19, 2016

"Reading the reviews on people's experience with pain I feel they are missing the point that the pain is all the crap moving its way down. I experienced the same sort of pain this morning but it's the same pain I get when I haven't been for days and it all finally starts moving. It doubles me over and takes my breath away. So I think the pain is a sign that there's a lot of crap inside that needs to move."

Mel B April 9, 2016

"NEVER EVER take these. I took the reccomend dose of 3 before I went to bed around 10:30 p.m about 1 a.m. I started having severe stomach stomach pain and nausea. I had to get a trash can the nausea was that bad. I laid in bed doubled over in pain for about an hour and then thankfully was able to nod off to be rudely awakend to horrific stomach cramps almost as bad as giving birth to my having contractions. It's was like 4:30 a.m. . I had horrible diarhea. I went back to bed and five minutes later I had to jump up to go again. Then again and again and again. Here it is about 5:30 a.m. and I'm on my bathroom floor sweating feeling like I'm dying. I almost considered going to the ER the side effects are that bad. If you don't want to feel like you're dying then please save yourself and do not take these and suffer. These are horrible. I can't believe these are over the counter."

dancer with cancer (taken for less than 1 month) April 5, 2016

"Honestly this stuff is extremely effective and will make you poop a LOT, but I'm not sure if it's worth the awful pain in my stomach! :/"

Unknown147 April 3, 2016

"NEVER AGAIN!!!!!!! Please NO ONE take Dulcolax. I, like a few others in this forum, have been on an eating plan for weight loss. Without much fibre, I've been suffering from constipation. I finally had enough and took 2 Dulcolax last night at around 11.30pm as recommended on the box. At 4.15am I woke up with excruciating stomach cramps as well as indigestion. I went to the bathroom and had a small BM came out. I went back and forth probably 5 times with diarrhea, feeling sweaty, dizzy and thought I was going to faint. On the last time, I felt like I was going to vomit. I ran to the bathroom and violently vomited everything in my stomach. This was followed by liquid diarrhea (felt like hot water) for the next while. Pls beware. NEVER AGAIN"

Clarissa002 April 2, 2016

"I was constipated due to some medicine I was on following oral surgery. I have never taken a laxative because I never had issues. So I took 2 pills before bed and honestly it was the worst decision I have ever made! Wish I had researched before. I had all the horrible side effects for hours. I am still in bed 15 hours after taking those stupid pills. The sweats are gone but my stomach is cramping and I can't sit up without feeling nauseous. Save yourselves. Please do not take this drug. Frankly I think it should not be sold OTC."

Lizalobster (taken for less than 1 month) April 1, 2016

"Took one pill around 11:30 at night just to try it out because I have never taken a laxative before. Then I decided to read the reviews on this website and was horrified for what was about to come. I took two ibuprofen just in case and finally got to bed around 3. It woke me up at 5 in the morning and did its job just fine in about a half an hour and I then I woke back up at around 11am and it did it again with no pain. This worked for me!"

Alessandra24 March 27, 2016

"It works but never again. It feels like stabbing in the stomach region. Still doing a number 2. Feels like I would be here for a while :("

Awesome11111 March 26, 2016

"So, since I started my diet which consists of eating better, constipation has been an issue. I made the grave error of purchasing this medicine. I took ONE out of the suggested dose of three tablet. This was around 8:00 p.m. Around 10:00 p.m or so, I was feeling unwell and decided to go to bed early. To sum things up, I was constantly on the toilet from 12:00 a.m to about 5:00 a.m when I finally decided to try to head to my bed. I've had diarrhea before, but never to this level where it's thin like liquid and constantly comes out (even when I was half asleep on the toilet). Please trust me on this. Constipation is ten times better than shitting your intestines out with a merciless sickness."

I feel like Niagara Falls March 25, 2016

"Do not take!! I woke up 2 hours after taking the pills confused, dizzy, sweaty, pukeing, and I've never had stomach cramps so bad in my life. I went back to bed at 12, and woke up at 7am with the same problems! I'd rather be constipated than take that again."

Oyeahoo March 24, 2016

"Please don't take the pills! The suppositories are great though! I took 2 around 4:30pm. Before bed I had a terrible burning feeling in my abdomen. At 1:30 I woke up in pain and went to the bathroom. Seemed to be nothing but gas-the worst possible gas you could ever have trapped inside you! I actually thought I was dying and wanted to call 911. Thirty minutes of this then I finally pooped. Not much, soft but formed. Back to bed, an hour later the diarrhea started. It's 5am and it hasn't stopped. Explosive watery smelly awful stuff. Felt like hot lava. Do not give this to children. Or adults. Never ever take these. I'm throwing them out! I gave it a 2 because it technically works. I actually lost 2 pounds (so far) :("

Miserablemaam (taken for less than 1 month) March 20, 2016