User Reviews for Dulcolax

Learn more about Dulcolax.

Dulcolax Review Summary

7.0/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 215 medications used in the treatment of Constipation.

Reviews for Dulcolax to treat Constipation

"I took this medicine for constipation relief. It said it would take 6-12 hours to work, but 2 hours after I took it I was in the worst pain of my life, curled in a ball on my bed praying for it to end. After about 30 minutes of intense cramps I started to get diarrhea. For the next 1-2 hours it was a vicious cycle of laying in my bed with severe, debilitating cramps then rushing to the toilet every 15 minutes. Ultimately it did what it was supposed to do but I will never take it again, the pain is not worth the result. I'm just fine drinking a couple glasses of prune juice for comfortable results."

Kait1234 August 24, 2015

"I had stomach cramps in the morning. I was in so much pain it was ridiculous and then ended up with diarrhea which was not what i was expecting. If u want something to completely flush out your system then great. But I personally wouldn't go through the pain again as it made me ill."

Tim Lees August 18, 2015

"Hadn't had a bowel movement in 4 days. Took 2 Dulcolax laxative pills at 10 pm with a full glass of water. Box said it should start working within 12 hours at the latest. When i woke up in the AM, nothing. Had breakfast. Later, at 10 am, it began! Crazy painful cramps that had me doubled over in pain, explosive, non-stop diaharrea - completely unexpected. I thought that was the end of it... it had to be, because I was empty! Then, about 2 hours later, had a snack. More cramps and diaharrea. I thought I was done again. An hour later, another snack. More cramps and diaharrea again! All day long, everything that went in me came right out of me 10 minutes later. Never again!!!!"

Texas Tall (taken for less than 1 month) August 14, 2015

"I have very irregular bowel movements and experience constipation every now and then, I have tried senna tablets and things like that, however they don't do the job. Dulcolax is strong and does give me a few cramps about 8 hours after taking it, for me the cramps are just like period pain, after you go the pain stops. (I need to go 10 hours after taking dulcolax and don't eat for about 6 hours after I 'get it out') take before bed!"

Liv2324 August 11, 2015

"I took the recommended dose (2 tablets) at about 10pm with a glass of water. Slept like a baby at night. Woke up feeling fine. Felt slight cramps on the way to work (8am) and then again after at 10.30am I felt the urge to go. First two times I had a normal movement, soft stools released. 20 minutes later I had diarrhea and then I was perfectly fine to carry on with the rest of the day. Overall it took a while to work on me compared to the rest of the comments below but I had no severe pain."

Mel0404 August 10, 2015

"I took this medicine at 6PM for constipation. I started to get naseaus, rumbley stomach and stomach pain exactly at midnight. Here it am 2:45am in pain, it hurts so bad. I did go which was great but the damn pain feels like I am experiencing contractions. Oh no. I'm tired and have to get up for work soon. Do yourself a favor and take something easy on yourself. I didn't read the reviews until after taking the one pill. Thank god I didn't take 2 or as suggested."

Ithurtssobad August 10, 2015

"About 13 hours after taking the pill, BOOM. The worst cramps and intestinal pains that I've ever experienced. I sat on the toilet for 20 minutes in total agony trying not to wake anyone up. It felt like a rabid raccoon was trying to claw its way out from my bowels. It hurt so bad that I felt like I was going to throw up. At one point I thought "okay, this is my limit, if it gets any worse, I'm going to the ER" After several waves of this, it finally ended and now, 24 hours later, I'm still having diarrhea and some cramping, but not as bad as last night. LISTEN TO THE REVIEWS! This stuff is no joke! I took 2 tablets and I drank so much water. At least 7 or 8 glasses of water. It doesn't matter - you will get awful cramps. Never again."

ihateyoudulcolax August 9, 2015

"Doctor prescribed me this and I took one pill at around 9:30 pm, went to bed with gas but I felt fine - that was until I woke up at 2:30am vomiting and having severe diarrhea (I also felt shakiness, dizziness, weakness, shortness of breath, and a burning sensation in my anus) I didn't actually get the chance to poop until 5 am which was exhausting. Never will I take this product again and I highly suggest everyone to do a much natural solution like eating prunes, consuming a lot of water and papaya smoothies, or drink 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil, its much safer than this over the counter stuff."

Juliev1234 (taken for less than 1 month) August 9, 2015

"This was the worst laxative I've ever taken. I don't have problems with bowel movement that often, but for the past few weeks I felt like there might be some constipation going on. I took 2 pills at 10am-ish and by 9pm cramps began happening. I first dismissed it as I often get random aches here and there and didn't thing about it that much. At the end of it I had to constantly stand up otherwise my stomach/bowels felt like they were digesting themselves. I, of course wasn't at home (how convenient) and I had to take a taxi home because I felt like I was genuinely dying. I'm writing this right after my experience and I'm tellig you, my stomach has DEFLATED and it's so flat that it's scary. I DO NOT recomend this drug to anyone, ever"

Anonymous August 8, 2015

"I'm 13 and last night I took this tablet at about 9:30pm in the night I experienced horrible cramps and the next day I was on the toilet with diarrhoea! It's currently 10:20am and I have gone to the loo 3 times ! To be honest I don't recommend for under 12s."

Leesh123856 August 8, 2015

"I'm 16 and had constipation for 5 days with no bowel movements at all. Eventually I grew tired as I was getting heavier and felt worse by the day so I tried some tablets. I looked on here straight after taking them and was quite scared considering everyone seemed to have severe pains. And this was the case. Though the pains were extremely horrific I managed to pass most of it in the first half hour of waking up at 4 in the morning from the pain. I only took one tablet and wouldn't recommend more even if you've been stuck for days as it works well but there's a price to pay in pain."

veryaverageperson August 7, 2015

"I went about 4 days with absolutely no bowel movement at all So I took 2 Dulcolax at around 10 am. I came on here and read the reviews and freaked out. I started chugging water so From 10 am-10pm I had consumed ten 20oz bottles of water along with light food and experienced no cramping. The pills did not start working for me until exactly 24 hours after I took the pill. My family and I were leaving for a 10 hour drive (bad idea) and right when we pulled out of the driveway (945 am) I started having some cramps. We ended up having to stop many times and I was having extremely watery, burning diarrhea. I continued to drink water which helped but had no nausea, etc. It has now been 3 days since having the diarrhea and I am constipated again."

Anonymous August 2, 2015

"I took the Ducolax around 10:30 pm( not with enough water), and I thought it wasn't going to work because most laxatives work very fast for me. Around 2:44 am my stomach was cramping extremely bad . I went to the bathroom and just sat there waiting for it to come , but I start feeling sick . Once I went back to my room I look at reviews of the product and saw that what was going on was normal . When I read most of them I seen WATER!! WATER!!!! WATER!!!!... So I went downstairs and dranked almost 3 big cups of water and at about 6 pm... It was over the diarrhea started. Water is the key if you drink a lot in the beginning you will be just fine"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) August 2, 2015

"I think I am dying cramps so bad I took 3 and had the worst cramps and sweating and still have not gone yet. Felt like I might die. DO NOT EVER GIVE TO A CHILD THESE PLEASE! "

hfeoo August 2, 2015

"NO. Just no - it works but it is very hard to tell if it is even worth it. This stuff is highly potent. They recommend it for children but in my opinion it is highly unsuitable - I am a very small teenager and it has absolutely wreaked havoc with me. I took two tablets (the prescribed dose) before bed and the next day I thought nothing had happened - I soon found out it worked. By the end of the day I was experiencing intense and relentless cramps, burning, and my parents told me they noticed my stomach had "deflated". It is the correct dose for an Rhino maybe, but for small adults and children I recommend you stay away. Save yourselves - you have been forewarned."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) July 30, 2015

" Hell no, never again! severe stomach cramps not worth it !"

Anonymous July 27, 2015

"I had the stomach flu so I wasn't able to eat for quite a few days. When I finally started eating, I ate a lot and it constipated me super bad. I tried miralax and other fiber drinks and none of them worked. I went and bought dulcolax suppository. I chose it because it said "gentle" on the front. Anyway, I placed it in and right away within seconds I started having little contractions and wanted to go immediately, but I knew that if I went, i'd just poop out the laxative, so I waited 20 min to let it dissolve from all the body heat. After 20 min I gave in to the urge and with one push, it came out pain free. I was dreading the pain, but the laxative made the opening all greasy and it did not hurt one bit. I felt so much better. There were no cramps!"

Wenty July 25, 2015

"I tried taking 1 tablet once before, and got cramps. I though it was a coincidence, and that I was just really sick. Tried it again yesterday. Same thing - just one tablet. PLEASE, drink water with the pill. I now know water is the key. I didn't read the directions this last time, since I had taken it before. I swallowed it with a mouth full of water and stopped my water intake. My cramps were so bad. Even my hands were cramping up. I couldn't spread my hands out to even hold a glass of water. I would sweat, take clothes off, then get cold. I was in so much pain I even considered calling 911. Yes this drug works, please don't ignore the water part of it. I will try it one more time, while my husband is home, with tons of water."

Nat2352 July 23, 2015

"1 tablet at 10 woke up at 3 a.m with severe cramping. Which led to nausea, sweaty profusely and vomiting on the bathroom floor. To follow was the explosive diarrhea for the next hour. Gentle and predictable its says it on the box. NOT!! I do not recommend. I was experiencing constipation due to my prenatal pills. Stay away mama's to be!"

Bottydot July 22, 2015

"There are times when I can go without going to toilet for 2-3 weeks. I have been to the doctors who just prescribe fibre drinks but they don't work and just cause me to bloat. I have been using dulcolax for the last 10 years because it's the only thing that works. Yes, it does cause stomach cramps and nausea, on occasions I haven't felt pain quite like it, however I would rather go through the cramping for a couple of hours than feel uncomfortable for 2-3 weeks! Once dulcolax has taken its course I feel so much better in myself. No gas, no bloating and back to my normal self. I would advise people with a low pain threshold to avoid taking this medication however if you suffer with constipation as bad as I, then it's definitely worth taking"

Nbayle July 17, 2015

"Oh my God!!!! Listen to me, I have no reason to lie and have nothing to gain by giving my opinion/review. This medication WORKS!!!! It's pricier than other similar meds, but there is no performance comparison! All you need is 1 pill. I cannot believe the directions say 1-3 pills at once! That's crazy! I'm on pain meds & suffer from occasional constipation. When it's bad, I'll take one around 8pm. Just 1 pill. Again... 1. Only 1! By 3am-4am I am using the restroom like a maniac. Then I'll have a 2nd bm approx 2hrs later. I'm telling you THIS WORKS! * BEWARE! WARNING! * If your like me, you don't drink enough water and/or eat much fiber. So when you do take this medication you WILL get massive cramping & might vomit. You'll be okay though."

Delinquent (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 14, 2015

"I took this med cos I was constipated cos of fasting and not drinking water nor enough fibre so I took one. Only take one and dont crush or break them either. I took them round about at 11pm-12am on friday (to avoid clash with skl/work). ...I was rushing for the toilet at 7.46am on saturday. I havent done so much in years. In my experience I havent had any pain if any it was mild. Boy this med works...ok maybe too well. But please take one. Im 15 by the way."

shaira7865 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 11, 2015

"If you are like myself you just took this medicine and are now freaking out reading these comments. I am happy to say that my experience was amazing with this medication. It had been around 4 days with little or no bowel movements. I took 1 5mg pill at 12pm followed by 2 16 oz bottles of water. Also I had lunch as normal avoiding dairy. Within an hour and a half I was relieved of that difficult stool and felt amazing. 3 hours later had a looser bowel movement but no diarrhea. Although the pill suggests taking at night I feel like during the day is a better option because you can eat and drink while the pill is working, rather than just sleeping. The more water and food in you the less cramping the medicine causes. I would use again."

Anonymous July 9, 2015

"I have had major stomach issues all of my life and nothing would help me get rid of my chronic constipation except dulcolax and mirolax so when I read some of these reviews I was very confused! Ive never had any problems with dulcolax except that it takes around 15-18 hours to work for me. I take two pills when I feel like I really need a BM and one if I start feeling a little constipated. Ive never had cramping, diarrhea, vomiting, or any other over dose symptoms. The only laxative I believe to be better is mirolax but you have to have it everyday for it to work."

anon00 July 8, 2015

"Took one tablet at around half six as it is my prom tomorrow and I hadn't been in over a week and was beginning to become depressed again. It is now 11:15pm and I have just went finally. Extreme cramping ten minutes before hand, on the same scale as servere period pains and it feels although I may have ripped something internally as when I went I felt a stabbing pain on my lower left side of my tummy. Cramps are easing now but please do yourself a favour and take ONE tablet and drink over THREE glasses of water at least to ease everything. It should start working in around six hours if you do it right. No diarrhoea or vomiting but I feel a little faint. I'll update if I get worse, so if I don't update just assume it all goes fine "

~JE July 7, 2015