User Reviews for Dulcolax

Learn more about Dulcolax.

Dulcolax review summary

7.4/10 Average Rating

Compare all 216 medications used in the treatment of Constipation.

Reviews for Dulcolax to treat Constipation

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

I had been constipated for days due to my medications. I took 2 pills and was able to move a bowel with no pain.

March 1, 2015 2:00 PM

Review by kpt (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I take Dulcolax when I feel like my bowel system is playing up. Or to avoid serious constipation. I usually take it with a glass of water. But it doesn't help with the cramps, ever. It wakes me up at 6 am if 1 pill is taken between 10 p.m to 11 p.m. Cramps are top bad but the relief is great. Works almost every time for me.

February 28, 2015 12:40 AM

Review by Jjisjusttoniceb (taken for 10 years or more):

This pill is just simplest Amazing. I have severe to moderate constipation. Three pills alway does the trick for me. Although you may experience pain cramps. But out other than that this pill is a lifesavior

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 19, 2015 8:23 AM

Review by L.A.26 (taken for less than 1 month):

A friend told me to take 3 pink pills of Dulcolax so I did, at 7pm I woke up at 5am with my stomach hurting bad in tears. I was throwing up a lot too. I didn't go till 8am then went all day with diarrhea. Now it had been 7 days till last night. I took 1 of the pills it did nothing I ended up having to do an enema. I did one and it did nothing I had to do 2 and then finally went 20 mins later. I guess I'll have to use 2 pink pills next time. Ohh and I did not drink water so next time I will make sure of it! Thanks hope this helps.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 25, 2015 1:50 PM

Review by Surgery Sucks (taken for less than 1 month):

I haven't had a bowel movement in about 8 or 9 days. I took two pills around midnight and woke up around 5am to a bowel movement. It helped my constipation. I went back to sleep and woke up about 7am to an immediate bowel movement. It is now 7:45am and hopefully this is over. Works great though.

January 21, 2015 7:45 AM

Review by Vale2199:

I haven't had a bowel movement for 2 weeks so yesterday I took two in the morning and went to the bathroom around 3pm but it didn't fully help so I also took one in the evening. Around 2am I had the most painful cramps I've experienced in my life, but then again, it did clean me out and I didn't drink water so that was a big mistake. My advice is to take 1 if it has only been less than a week and 3 for over two weeks. The cramps are pretty bearable if the bathroom is right next to you, so good luck.

January 14, 2015 2:05 PM

Review by Walon (taken for less than 1 month):

I have chronic constipation. I am trying any thing and everything to have a bowel movement. Dulcolax did nothing for me. Very disappointing.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 11, 2015 10:12 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

This is a quick and effective laxative to relieve constipation however alternatives should be considered first. Magnesium syrup is always a good try, senna, speak to your pharmacist about the best things to take they are always helpful. I only take 1 tablet and it takes effect within a few hours, server cramping, nausea, sweating, diarrhoea,have felt like I may pass out, but these effects only last about an hour for myself. Therefore I think this should be kept for a last result!

January 3, 2015 7:30 AM

Review by Love to travel:

So I was having cramps for 2 days decided to try this by recommendation. Took 3 tablets at 9:00 pm woke up at midnight with chills the worst cramps since childbirth & ran to the restroom! 2 hours later I woke up to thee worst sweats & nausea wasn't sure which end to put on above the toilet! Then woke up 2 hours later with the cramping again! So Yes this stuff works! But seriously start with 1 tablet and yes I stayed in bed the following day due to my lower back and stomach being so sore from the cramping.

December 28, 2014 12:56 AM

Review by Hurting Badly:

I tried it and took 2 pills with lots of water and ended staying up all night crying from severe abdominal pains then throwing up with the pain becoming worse finally 12 hours later while still in pain I had the most painful bowel movement...I'm still on bed rest from the cramps and it hurts to stand upright... If you choose to take this please be careful its effective but at a painful cost

December 21, 2014 5:58 AM

Review by poopsss (taken for less than 1 month):

You HAVE to drink water with the pill(s) unless you want serious cramping. Seriously, like at least a large glass or 2. Don't ignore that part of the directions.

November 28, 2014 8:55 AM

Review by Livdawg (taken for less than 1 month):

Oh this product works alright. I took 2 around 11 am, and right now it's 3:45 in the morning and I am experiencing the worst stomach pain ever. Seriously if you're going to use this, just take one.

November 24, 2014 3:47 AM

Took 2 pills, My constipation was gone but could not sleep one minute during the night because of the pain.

November 24, 2014 12:51 AM

Review by 6-1 185 male (taken for less than 1 month):

Constipation was causing pain and I could not relieve myself. I never take anything for this. I took 2 pills about an hour ago and have already had a bearable bowel movement. Great relief. Worked quickly. Hoping no cramps, pain or irritable bowel to come over the next few hours. So far, so good. I will use again if needed. By the way I drank plenty of water, so that may have helped me avoid the cramping.

November 15, 2014 10:12 PM

Review by biibii (taken for less than 1 month):

I was constipated for about 4 days. I tried Dulcolax on my 4th. I took one in the night. I woke to little cramps but I still didn't have bowel movement so I took a second one... when I tell it worked the next minute. I started having painful cramps for about 10 min. Then all of sudden it happened. Everything went out.

November 15, 2014 6:13 AM

Review by CaptainUnderpants:

Works like a charm - a crampy, semi-painful charm but still I'm 150lbs, 5'7''. I would recommend starting with one pill, no dairy before or after, and lots of water to go with it. The pain - and there is pain - is bearable, and if you absolutely need to go, Dulcolax will get you there overnight. But make sure you can afford to be up during a couple hours that night.

November 11, 2014 10:55 PM

Review by Johnin Portland (taken for less than 1 month):

I have been using Miralax and psillium every night for about a year and wanted to try Linzess, but my doctor was hesitant to let me try it. Possible side effects. Anyway, after some reasearch, I realized the Nexium I have been using causes a Magnesium deficiency. So now I take a multi-mineral capsule and a 500mg Magnesium capsule 3 times a day with meals. I have been able to cut back on my chemical medications and have some hope that I will be able to get off them completely by adjusting my mineral intake. Try this, because your bowels cannot function without enough minerals.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 9, 2014 2:51 PM

Review by Yeahpoop:

It works, but do not take three! I woke up out of dead sleep three hours after ingesting with SEVERE pain. I have irritable bowel syndrome with internal hemorrhoids so constipation happens often and always hurts. I took three thinking because I'm almost never regular and my last movement was over a week ago three would probably work best. I ended up pooping, but also had a heavy vomiting episode at the same time. Take two at most, do not take three!

November 7, 2014 1:13 AM

Review by maxlax:

Had been constipated for the past 5 days and was tired of feeling like crap (no pun intended), so I decided to give this a try. I'll do a little more research next time, but I'm quite happy to say that it worked. Took 2 pills at 12:15pm, and had bowel movements at 4:15, 5;15, and 6:15, like clockwork. I believe what you do before and after you take the pills definitely affects how you will feel when it hits you. I had veggies, a fiber bar, and an energy drink for breakfast, two fiber bars for lunch, and drank a liter of water when I got home. If your body isn't ready, then you can expect to feel terrible because your digestive track has nothing else to pull from. I'm a 5'4", 125 lb woman, and didn't have any horrendous side effects.

October 31, 2014 1:05 AM

Review by liquidizai:

I've had dulcolax many times before and always get a varied reaction. Usually it kicks in after about two hours. I will have moderate to severe cramps for a further few hours then diarrhea until the cramps stop. Sometimes I can't go for hours and am left with unproductive cramps all night. Sometimes there are no cramps and no effect (in this case I follow up with senna plus dulcolax the next day). My worst experience was a few years ago where I didnt experience cramps until the morning. After an incredibly painful few hours I passed an incredible amount of diarrhea over the next 24 hours to the point I was certain I had cholera; every 5 minutes I would need to run to the bathroom and pass a few litres of water.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 26, 2014 7:42 PM

Review by Proceed with caution (taken for 1 to 6 months):

No bowel motion in 2 weeks tried EVERYTHING! Nothing. THIS will clean you out like Draino, but abdominal cramps lasted about 1-2hrs before BM. Beats the heck out of the alternative though.

October 15, 2014 11:38 PM

Review by mxw (taken for less than 1 month):

I had been getting wind pain and lower abdominal pain from not been able to go for about 4-5 days. I took 2 tablets around noon. I have never taken any laxatives prior to this. 6 hours later I experienced some mild cramping which lasted for another 8 hours. When the cramping died down around midnight I experienced some flatulence which gave my bloated stomach some relief and I was able to take a short nap. Woke up at 6am and I'm happy to say it did the trick. If I was in the same situation I would take this again, I suppose most users don't post unless their reaction was extremely good or bad.

October 4, 2014 1:34 PM

Review by UnknownPersona:

So, I'm 5'3 and 135 lbs. I have tried Dulcolax in the past for constipation, but decided that it might be a better experience this time. I took 2 pills around 5pm I think. It says to take 1-2 for adults. I had horrible cramps and abdominal discomfort. About 11:50pm I had the feeling that I needed to have a bowel movement. I had a lot of diarrhea, but it really does help with constipation. My advice, take 1 pill. If you can't go after that, take 2 the next day. Honestly, once it kicks in, you will feel so much better after it's all over. If you can't handle cramping very well, you might not be able to handle the effects of this medicine.

October 4, 2014 12:21 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Yup no doubt it works. I take it at night before I sleep so then in the morning I am forced to wake up because the cramps hurt so much. But honestly it works, and the pain is bearable, and the result is awesome, a bunch of diarrhea later and I feel awesome!

September 30, 2014 1:01 AM

Review by KJCJWC:

Female 140 lbs took 2 Dulcolax Tablets at 6:30pm, followed by 3 full glasses of water. Had been constipated for about 5 days prior. Woke up at 6:00am with the feeling of having to have a bowel movement. Passed a lot of liquid /semi soft bowel motions. No cramps, no feeling of illness. Was petrified by all of the other reviews, but thinking drinking water after taking the pills helped. No side effects the next day.

September 27, 2014 10:18 PM