User Reviews for Dulcolax

Learn more about Dulcolax.

Dulcolax Review Summary

7.2/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 216 medications used in the treatment of Constipation.

Reviews for Dulcolax to treat Constipation

"NO. Just no - it works but it is very hard to tell if it is even worth it. This stuff is highly potent. They recommend it for children but in my opinion it is highly unsuitable - I am a very small teenager and it has absolutely wreaked havoc with me. I took two tablets (the prescribed dose) before bed and the next day I thought nothing had happened - I soon found out it worked. By the end of the day I was experiencing intense and relentless cramps, burning, and my parents told me they noticed my stomach had "deflated". It is the correct dose for an Rhino maybe, but for small adults and children I recommend you stay away. Save yourselves - you have been forewarned."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) July 30, 2015

" Hell no, never again! severe stomach cramps not worth it !"

Anonymous July 27, 2015

"I had the stomach flu so I wasn't able to eat for quite a few days. When I finally started eating, I ate a lot and it constipated me super bad. I tried miralax and other fiber drinks and none of them worked. I went and bought dulcolax suppository. I chose it because it said "gentle" on the front. Anyway, I placed it in and right away within seconds I started having little contractions and wanted to go immediately, but I knew that if I went, i'd just poop out the laxative, so I waited 20 min to let it dissolve from all the body heat. After 20 min I gave in to the urge and with one push, it came out pain free. I was dreading the pain, but the laxative made the opening all greasy and it did not hurt one bit. I felt so much better. There were no cramps!"

Wenty July 25, 2015

"I tried taking 1 tablet once before, and got cramps. I though it was a coincidence, and that I was just really sick. Tried it again yesterday. Same thing - just one tablet. PLEASE, drink water with the pill. I now know water is the key. I didn't read the directions this last time, since I had taken it before. I swallowed it with a mouth full of water and stopped my water intake. My cramps were so bad. Even my hands were cramping up. I couldn't spread my hands out to even hold a glass of water. I would sweat, take clothes off, then get cold. I was in so much pain I even considered calling 911. Yes this drug works, please don't ignore the water part of it. I will try it one more time, while my husband is home, with tons of water."

Nat2352 July 23, 2015

"1 tablet at 10 woke up at 3 a.m with severe cramping. Which led to nausea, sweaty profusely and vomiting on the bathroom floor. To follow was the explosive diarrhea for the next hour. Gentle and predictable its says it on the box. NOT!! I do not recommend. I was experiencing constipation due to my prenatal pills. Stay away mama's to be!"

Bottydot July 22, 2015

"There are times when I can go without going to toilet for 2-3 weeks. I have been to the doctors who just prescribe fibre drinks but they don't work and just cause me to bloat. I have been using dulcolax for the last 10 years because it's the only thing that works. Yes, it does cause stomach cramps and nausea, on occasions I haven't felt pain quite like it, however I would rather go through the cramping for a couple of hours than feel uncomfortable for 2-3 weeks! Once dulcolax has taken its course I feel so much better in myself. No gas, no bloating and back to my normal self. I would advise people with a low pain threshold to avoid taking this medication however if you suffer with constipation as bad as I, then it's definitely worth taking"

Nbayle July 17, 2015

"Oh my God!!!! Listen to me, I have no reason to lie and have nothing to gain by giving my opinion/review. This medication WORKS!!!! It's pricier than other similar meds, but there is no performance comparison! All you need is 1 pill. I cannot believe the directions say 1-3 pills at once! That's crazy! I'm on pain meds & suffer from occasional constipation. When it's bad, I'll take one around 8pm. Just 1 pill. Again... 1. Only 1! By 3am-4am I am using the restroom like a maniac. Then I'll have a 2nd bm approx 2hrs later. I'm telling you THIS WORKS! * BEWARE! WARNING! * If your like me, you don't drink enough water and/or eat much fiber. So when you do take this medication you WILL get massive cramping & might vomit. You'll be okay though."

Delinquent (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 14, 2015

"I took this med cos I was constipated cos of fasting and not drinking water nor enough fibre so I took one. Only take one and dont crush or break them either. I took them round about at 11pm-12am on friday (to avoid clash with skl/work). ...I was rushing for the toilet at 7.46am on saturday. I havent done so much in years. In my experience I havent had any pain if any it was mild. Boy this med works...ok maybe too well. But please take one. Im 15 by the way."

shaira7865 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 11, 2015

"If you are like myself you just took this medicine and are now freaking out reading these comments. I am happy to say that my experience was amazing with this medication. It had been around 4 days with little or no bowel movements. I took 1 5mg pill at 12pm followed by 2 16 oz bottles of water. Also I had lunch as normal avoiding dairy. Within an hour and a half I was relieved of that difficult stool and felt amazing. 3 hours later had a looser bowel movement but no diarrhea. Although the pill suggests taking at night I feel like during the day is a better option because you can eat and drink while the pill is working, rather than just sleeping. The more water and food in you the less cramping the medicine causes. I would use again."

Anonymous July 9, 2015

"I have had major stomach issues all of my life and nothing would help me get rid of my chronic constipation except dulcolax and mirolax so when I read some of these reviews I was very confused! Ive never had any problems with dulcolax except that it takes around 15-18 hours to work for me. I take two pills when I feel like I really need a BM and one if I start feeling a little constipated. Ive never had cramping, diarrhea, vomiting, or any other over dose symptoms. The only laxative I believe to be better is mirolax but you have to have it everyday for it to work."

anon00 July 8, 2015

"Took one tablet at around half six as it is my prom tomorrow and I hadn't been in over a week and was beginning to become depressed again. It is now 11:15pm and I have just went finally. Extreme cramping ten minutes before hand, on the same scale as servere period pains and it feels although I may have ripped something internally as when I went I felt a stabbing pain on my lower left side of my tummy. Cramps are easing now but please do yourself a favour and take ONE tablet and drink over THREE glasses of water at least to ease everything. It should start working in around six hours if you do it right. No diarrhoea or vomiting but I feel a little faint. I'll update if I get worse, so if I don't update just assume it all goes fine "

~JE July 7, 2015

"I suffer from chronic constipation and after seeing my GP I was prescribed dulcolax. This medicine is as "gentle" as a hammer to the face. I took two tablets at around 2am and drunk quite a lot of water. I went to bed, no hot flashes, no nausea or headaches. I had very mild cramps and within an hour, I had my first BM after days. I thought that was it and went to sleep. Little did I know that at 10am I'd be woke to explosive diarrhoea. Luckily, there wasn't much pain. Tomorrow, I will adjust the dose and take one tablet."

duclolady June 29, 2015

"My advice would be stick with just one tablet because even though the bottle says 1-3, no matter how bad you think you're constipation is, you do not want to take 3. After 24 hours I got cramps and finally got some relief but then experienced some bad diarrhea. (Note: I'm 15)"

BowelSufferer June 28, 2015

"I took two tablets after dinner and went to sleep around 1130pm. At 6 am came around and I had terrible cramps. I vomited a few times and felt better and went back to sleep. 7am came and I had even worse pains and went to the bathroom. After that I was fine. It did its job but was extremely uncomfortable. I don't recommend taking this if you can't be home for at least 18 hours straight"

Jennifer np June 27, 2015

"I took 1 pill at 4:00 and had drank an entire water bottle prior to taking it. I then came on here and read all the reviews and got absolutely terrified because of how many bad experiences there were. I however didn't have a bad experience. With this medicine you MUST drink a lot of water after taking it. I drank another 3 water bottles after taking it. Around 9:00 p.m. I had a regular BM. The next day around noon I experienced on and off stomach cramps. They were extremely mild and did not cause a lot of pain. An hour later at 1 I had another BM. If you drink water you don't have bad side effects. The one issue I had was that the timeline was not predictable as I didn't get the full effects till 20 hours after taking it"

it did what it was supposed to do June 25, 2015

"I am NEVER taking this brand of lax again. I took one pill around 6 p.m. and around 5:45 a.m. I had the worst cramps ever! I wanted to vomit and I ran to the bathroom and had such bad diarrhea. This is the second time this has happened with taking only one pill. The 1st time I was sure I had bad Mexican food, but nope its the laxative. The pain was so unbearable! I'd rather be constipated forever than go through that again. I recommend taking Metamucil with 8oz of water twice a day or fiber supplements. It takes longer for your body to get on track, but it doesn't hurt."

deets (taken for less than 1 month) June 25, 2015

"I have taken the laxative in the past, usually in the evening. I would wake up and have bad abdominal pain and several bouts of diarrhea until the next morning. This was with only taking one pill. I reluctantly took one last night but felt bound up and uncomfortable. I woke up at 1am with terrible stomach pain and hot flashes. I had to take off my clothes and lay on the coolest floor I could find. It was horrible. Then I vomited about 5 times and felt some relief. Shortly after I had a normal bowel movement then went back to bed with the chills. I sleep well after that and woke up feeling fine. I threw the box of dulcolax in the garbage..never again! Not worth going through that agony."

Anonymous June 21, 2015

"After feeling constipated for about 2 weeks - went to bathroom but only a marble or two worth come out. I got super keen and took four dulcolax tablets. As a person who doesn't read instructions. I'm kinda wishing I did. I took them about 3pm today with a bit of water and about 10:15 pm as I was just about to doze off and BAM!! I have never run for a toilets so fast, after stacking it over some toys (while trying to not wake everyone up) I managed to pick my bursting butt up and drag it to the toilet. Needless to say I did no pushing whatsoever even though the pain was unbearable. I feel maybe I should have drank more water so my insides didn't feel like they were being shafted with a big black rubber fist. Not for the feint hearted."

DroppingBigBrownBears June 20, 2015

"I took it right before bed (around 10) I slept great all night and by 9 in the morning I was going. Had some gas pain and some back pain but after I went I felt much better. Make sure you drink a lot of water because that definitely helps the cramps and the pain. Good Luck :)e"

Aliloolopsmith June 16, 2015

"Took 2 on the advice of my Gastro DR. Hadn't been in over three weeks. Seven hours on the toilet later and I'm still in agony"

Angry98 June 12, 2015

"I never have constipation problem until just recently. I could still have bowel movement daily but just pellets. Decided to give Ducolax a try as I saw the TV commercial stating gentle and predictable relief. Took one pill this morning at 9 and I didn't read instructions as to drink lots of water afterwards. But I generally drink water constantly. At around 3pm, I experience a mild cramp. Within an hour, I used the bathroom and still pellets. Half an hour later, I went and this time is "perfect". Haven't felt this relieved for a long time. If this is your first time taking Ducolax, I suggest just take one pill and do it during the day if you don't have anything planned and stay home just in case cramp is bad."

AllRelieved June 10, 2015

"I tried this medicine twice in the past two weeks hoping to see if my experience was consistent. It was. About an hour or two after taking the medicine I had terrible cramping, stomach spams, and during the second time I felt nauseous with thick and stringy saliva. Not a fun experience. After 30 min of this I was able to return to sleep and woke up occasionally with bloating and cramping. After waking up this morning I had diarrhea (consistent with the first time) and occasional cramping that lessened the more I went to the toilet. This will be the last time I take these pills-- not worth the pain, as others have said!"

ATA98 June 1, 2015

"So I have experienced constipation ever since I was a kid, I am now 21, and have to regularly take lactulose liquid around once a week. I need something stronger for medication induced constipation and decided to take Ducolax in the morning around 11 to achieve a result by the evening. After dinner at 6 I felt completely cleaned out and had some minor cramping before dinner, however drinking lots of water seemed to make things move faster. I wouldn't recommend taking it all the time because it is strong but for constipation that won't budge with anything else, this works."

Anonymous June 1, 2015

"My Experience: I was extremely constipated for about 5 days, I felt the urge to go but I just couldn't. I took ONE tablet of the Dulcolax for Women around 6:30pm with a full glass of water and I continued to drink about 40-50oz of water until bedtime (I drink about 80oz of water daily so I drank about 40 extra oz that day). I didn't get the sweats, nausea or cramping that night and it didn't wake me up in the middle of the night. I woke up at 6am and I did get SOME cramping, it felt the same as trapped gas pain but nothing overly unbearable. I had a bowel movement after about 20 mins and I felt GREAT. I had loose stool afterwards but no pain or cramping. I avoided starch and breads for the day - for extra measure. I loved this product!"

Anonymous12536368 May 28, 2015

"I have had constipation ALL my life and I'm 50. I've tried everything. And I mean everything. I've had slow transit test which proved I have a sluggish gut. The Doc recommended ducolax so I only take one and by the morning I'm going. I'm now taking then every third night. As that's the only thing what shifts it. I have no cramps no pains nothing. I've been reading all these comments. Some I've never had those experiences but I have never taken 3 or been recommended 3... So my advice would be one if you don't go take one next night. Also Doc recommended probiotics from health store AMAZING. Hope this helps guys.."

tobes May 28, 2015