User Reviews for Dulcolax

Learn more about Dulcolax.

Dulcolax review summary

7.2/10 Average Rating

Compare all 216 medications used in the treatment of Constipation.

Reviews for Dulcolax to treat Constipation

Review by poopsss (taken for less than 1 month):

You HAVE to drink water with the pill(s) unless you want serious cramping. Seriously, like at least a large glass or 2. Don't ignore that part of the directions.

November 28, 2014 8:55 AM

Review by Livdawg (taken for less than 1 month):

Oh this product works alright. I took 2 around 11 am, and right now it's 3:45 in the morning and I am experiencing the worst stomach pain ever. Seriously if you're going to use this, just take one.

November 24, 2014 3:47 AM

Took 2 pills, My constipation was gone but could not sleep one minute during the night because of the pain.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 24, 2014 12:51 AM

Review by 6-1 185 male (taken for less than 1 month):

Constipation was causing pain and I could not relieve myself. I never take anything for this. I took 2 pills about an hour ago and have already had a bearable bowel movement. Great relief. Worked quickly. Hoping no cramps, pain or irritable bowel to come over the next few hours. So far, so good. I will use again if needed. By the way I drank plenty of water, so that may have helped me avoid the cramping.

November 15, 2014 10:12 PM

Review by biibii (taken for less than 1 month):

I was constipated for about 4 days. I tried Dulcolax on my 4th. I took one in the night. I woke to little cramps but I still didn't have bowel movement so I took a second one... when I tell it worked the next minute. I started having painful cramps for about 10 min. Then all of sudden it happened. Everything went out.

November 15, 2014 6:13 AM

Review by CaptainUnderpants:

Works like a charm - a crampy, semi-painful charm but still I'm 150lbs, 5'7''. I would recommend starting with one pill, no dairy before or after, and lots of water to go with it. The pain - and there is pain - is bearable, and if you absolutely need to go, Dulcolax will get you there overnight. But make sure you can afford to be up during a couple hours that night.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 11, 2014 10:55 PM

Review by Johnin Portland (taken for less than 1 month):

I have been using Miralax and psillium every night for about a year and wanted to try Linzess, but my doctor was hesitant to let me try it. Possible side effects. Anyway, after some reasearch, I realized the Nexium I have been using causes a Magnesium deficiency. So now I take a multi-mineral capsule and a 500mg Magnesium capsule 3 times a day with meals. I have been able to cut back on my chemical medications and have some hope that I will be able to get off them completely by adjusting my mineral intake. Try this, because your bowels cannot function without enough minerals.

November 9, 2014 2:51 PM

Review by Yeahpoop:

It works, but do not take three! I woke up out of dead sleep three hours after ingesting with SEVERE pain. I have irritable bowel syndrome with internal hemorrhoids so constipation happens often and always hurts. I took three thinking because I'm almost never regular and my last movement was over a week ago three would probably work best. I ended up pooping, but also had a heavy vomiting episode at the same time. Take two at most, do not take three!

November 7, 2014 1:13 AM

Review by maxlax:

Had been constipated for the past 5 days and was tired of feeling like crap (no pun intended), so I decided to give this a try. I'll do a little more research next time, but I'm quite happy to say that it worked. Took 2 pills at 12:15pm, and had bowel movements at 4:15, 5;15, and 6:15, like clockwork. I believe what you do before and after you take the pills definitely affects how you will feel when it hits you. I had veggies, a fiber bar, and an energy drink for breakfast, two fiber bars for lunch, and drank a liter of water when I got home. If your body isn't ready, then you can expect to feel terrible because your digestive track has nothing else to pull from. I'm a 5'4", 125 lb woman, and didn't have any horrendous side effects.

October 31, 2014 1:05 AM

Review by Proceed with caution (taken for 1 to 6 months):

No bowel motion in 2 weeks tried EVERYTHING! Nothing. THIS will clean you out like Draino, but abdominal cramps lasted about 1-2hrs before BM. Beats the heck out of the alternative though.

October 15, 2014 11:38 PM

Review by mxw (taken for less than 1 month):

I had been getting wind pain and lower abdominal pain from not been able to go for about 4-5 days. I took 2 tablets around noon. I have never taken any laxatives prior to this. 6 hours later I experienced some mild cramping which lasted for another 8 hours. When the cramping died down around midnight I experienced some flatulence which gave my bloated stomach some relief and I was able to take a short nap. Woke up at 6am and I'm happy to say it did the trick. If I was in the same situation I would take this again, I suppose most users don't post unless their reaction was extremely good or bad.

October 4, 2014 1:34 PM

Review by UnknownPersona:

So, I'm 5'3 and 135 lbs. I have tried Dulcolax in the past for constipation, but decided that it might be a better experience this time. I took 2 pills around 5pm I think. It says to take 1-2 for adults. I had horrible cramps and abdominal discomfort. About 11:50pm I had the feeling that I needed to have a bowel movement. I had a lot of diarrhea, but it really does help with constipation. My advice, take 1 pill. If you can't go after that, take 2 the next day. Honestly, once it kicks in, you will feel so much better after it's all over. If you can't handle cramping very well, you might not be able to handle the effects of this medicine.

October 4, 2014 12:21 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Yup no doubt it works. I take it at night before I sleep so then in the morning I am forced to wake up because the cramps hurt so much. But honestly it works, and the pain is bearable, and the result is awesome, a bunch of diarrhea later and I feel awesome!

September 30, 2014 1:01 AM

Review by KJCJWC:

Female 140 lbs took 2 Dulcolax Tablets at 6:30pm, followed by 3 full glasses of water. Had been constipated for about 5 days prior. Woke up at 6:00am with the feeling of having to have a bowel movement. Passed a lot of liquid /semi soft bowel motions. No cramps, no feeling of illness. Was petrified by all of the other reviews, but thinking drinking water after taking the pills helped. No side effects the next day.

September 27, 2014 10:18 PM

Review by Curtlamb:

I normally take Miralax when I'm constipated because it just softens my bowels and regulates me afterwards, but I couldn't find any in the store so I bought Dulcolax for the first time. Well, I took two tablets at 11:30 at night thinking I would wake up late in the morning and use the bathroom no problem. No. At 4:30am I woke up and felt like someone was punching me in the stomach, and I thought I was going to vomit. I then had diarrhea, and then the "peeing from my butt" experience.

September 20, 2014 5:48 AM

Review by Uncomfy (taken for less than 1 month):

I hadn't gone for 4 days and decided to try Dulcolax. I am 5'1 and 120lbs. The bottle says anywhere from 1-3 pills, and my constipation was pretty bad so I decided to take 2. Worst mistake of my life. I took the pills at 2:00pm and by 6pm I had the most terrible cramps I have ever felt in my entire life. I was shaking, cold sweating, and felt like I was going to throw up several times. Hours later and I'm still having terrible diarrhea. It works, but the side effects are too much for me.

September 13, 2014 1:30 AM

Review by LoloSkillet:

Have issues with chronic constipation and when I get really constipated I start to feel very fatigued and nauseous. Was looking for a quick fix this time around and took 2 tabs Dulcolax at 9 am, I slept most of the day, I don't know if this was from the constipation or the remedy, but started having horrendous bowel cramping at about 7:30 pm. The first few times I went to the bathroom I was only able to pass a few small hard lumps with A LOT of pain, straining, burning/cramping bowel pain so bad I thought I was either going to vomit or pass out. Finally about the 4th time the cramps struck, I had a large bowel motion followed by diarrhea. That's where I am right now and I'm hoping this "experience" will be wrapping up soon!

September 8, 2014 11:58 PM

Review by Hibbycat:

If you want to experience your guts evacuating your butt, this is the medicine for you. 100% effective at relieving constipation. But in my experience in no way worth the agony I encountered through the night, as well as a massive bout of vomiting. I am good when it comes to pain and this was like nothing I have ever encountered. I would rather have a month of Sundays's worth of constipation then take this again.

September 8, 2014 4:50 PM

Review by Diane124:

I took Ducolax about 9pm and normally it doesn't affect me whatsoever. It woke me at 6am with severe cramps, worst than child labour to be honest. I feel a cold sweat coming on, I was dizzy. I couldn't sit in one place I was in that much pain. I would not recommend this, I'd go for the easy option of pure orange or something along them lines.

September 4, 2014 2:41 AM

Review by NDi (taken for less than 1 month):

Severe cramps with taking two tablets...Big mistake!!! However it does the job.

August 24, 2014 9:36 PM

Review by Constipator:

1-2 tablets is the prescribed dosage. It works well. The cramps weren't so bad before the drainage. Highly recommended, but not safe to use regularly and people have the misconception that you lose weight as that's the feeling you get after it works. Cheers!

August 20, 2014 2:31 PM

Review by Haralambos (taken for less than 1 month):

It worked for me, I had 5-6 days to go to the toilet, due to stress, depression and bad nutrition. I took 2 pills at 12:00 noon, and the effects started after 5-6 hours, it was ok, and went 4 times to the toilet, normally. No pains, just the normal frustration and a headache. No dizziness, no diarrhea. During these 5 hours, I also drank much water to help the situation. In the past 6 days I almost didn't have meals for the 3 days, (I was sad for being fired). I guess this is psychological. I read many panic comments by other people, saying about strong pain, cold sweats, diarrhea, dizziness, and feeling near to pass out. I had these effects with Laxatol laxative toffees when I was young, so I knew about them all.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 11, 2014 3:30 PM

Review by sammy2438:

I have always had constipation and I was told to take Dulcolax if nothing else seemed to work. Normally, I only take one pill, but this time I took 2 because I hadn't gone in a week and needed the relief ASAP. BIG MISTAKE! I always get indigestion-type feelings, so those started up within about an hour. In a few hours, I passed a couple of soft bowel movements. I was praying that I could just go to sleep because my stomach was so uneasy. I thought I could wake up feeling better. It made me feel bad all over, nausea, cold sweats. Then I woke up at about 4:30 am with the urgency to go. During my bowel movements, I was having severe stomach cramps with diarrhea. In the future, I will only be taking one pill!

August 11, 2014 6:34 AM

Review by AlluretheNight:

I had been constipated for about five days and took two pills before bed. I advise against that many. The cramps from the laxatives pulling the water from your stomach to your intestines is bad. It's not excruciating but it's not fun either and I did get a little nauseated. I woke up in the morning with diarrhea. I only had to go twice that whole day and they were in close time ranges with each other. I recommend just taking one to see how it affects you and then go from there. Either way you'll get relief.

August 2, 2014 3:56 AM

Review by benicasal9:

It usually works in between 3hours. I'll recommended.

July 31, 2014 10:42 PM