User Reviews for Dulcolax

Learn more about Dulcolax.

Dulcolax review summary

6.4/10 Average Rating

Compare all 214 medications used in the treatment of Constipation.

Reviews for Dulcolax to treat Constipation

Review by Shigura: User Rating:

I had the worst constipation the other day so I took 2 tablets around 6, and the next morning I woke up at 6 due to the pain. I had to go to the bathroom right away, twice in a row, and that was the most painful thing ever, I was starting to feel weak. Now I feel good, but the side effects is what scares me to take them again.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 3, 2014 10:48 AM
Review by Oakerz: User Rating:

Before my period every month, I get awful constipation for about a week before. I usually just wait is out because it eventually just goes away. But this time, I tried something new. I took 2 Ducolax last night around 9 and woke up at 9:30 with severe nausea and cramping. Let's just say, after hours upon hours today of the worst stomach cramps possible, crying, sweating, and throwing up, I'm exhausted. It kept it's word, it relieved all my constipation and I feel great now, I just wish all the side effects that came with taking it weren't so bad.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 23, 2014 12:58 PM
Review by ddf16 (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Do not go to sleep after taking! Take in the morning and cramping will be mild. If you go to sleep, you're body is not going to wake you until you're really hurting. Expect diarrhea for several hours so plan to stay home for the day. Starts working in about 3 hrs if you're awake. One 5mg tab is more than enough!

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 17, 2014 5:15 AM
Review by Wow cramps (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

I been constipated all my life and this last week did a number on me. I had my husband go get me the Dulcolax and I took 2 pills and within 3 hours I was on the pot going! Only complaint I have is cramps since I took the pills and I took 2 pills at 10:30 am and now it's 9:30 pm and I still feel cramps. Next time I will only take 1 pill! I can't deal with the cramps.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 23, 2014 10:10 PM
Review by DIsforDiarhhoea: User Rating:

It's currently 6am and I am sitting on the toilet with the worst intestinal cramps I have ever had in my life due to these tablets. I have been unable to pass normally for about 3 weeks now, due to a haemorrhoid, and I was prescribed these by my doctor. I take 2 before bed in an effort to get me going. And get me going it does - but it also wakes me up 3 hours beforehand with horrendous pains in my stomach and gives me such bad diarrhoea that I'm scared to get off the toilet.

January 31, 2014 1:32 AM
Review by AshBashWarner (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

I wasn't able to pass a full bowel movement for a week. It had gotten to the point that I hardly wanted to eat anything and when I tried to go it, only small pieces would come out. My mom finally gave me 2 of these Dulcolax overnight pills at about 700 pm. By 1030 pm, I felt normal mild diarrhea cramping which led me to make my first bowel movement. At 1 am, I was woken up by slight nausea and mild cramping again. This time, my movement was mostly water and small soft stools. I also felt really tired afterwards, but that's because I was already sleepy. I believe I will use this again because it does the job with minimal side effects.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
January 29, 2014 2:37 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

I took 1 tablet of Dulcolax late at night before bedtime (11:00pm) because I hadn't passed a bowel motion in 4 days. Everything was fine until about 5:00am. I woke up with nauseating cramps and felt like I had food poisoning. I have lived with irritable bowel syndrome for years, so for me to say that...the pain has to be pretty bad. Within an hour I pretty much emptied my entire colon, and it was not a pleasant experience. I would "go" multiple times with in-between periods of intense cramping where I'd have to lay down on the floor. However, I've read other reviews and found that while some people had a similar experience to mine, others didn't at all. I did feel fine afterwards. Next time I'll definitely be taking half a pill instead of a whole!

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
January 14, 2014 5:26 AM
Review by Auburntiger34 (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Took one, waited about 45 minutes, there was some minor cramping right before I had to go, went to the bathroom and was hard pushing it out but it did come and now I feel so relieved and overall would recommend it.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
January 2, 2014 9:03 PM
Review by AriannaMiddleton: User Rating:

This is the worst cramping I have ever experienced. After taking one pill and waiting six hours or so I had a good 15-20 minutes of harsh cramping before the pill relieved any of my symptoms. Even after, I feel nauseous and I still have cramps.

December 21, 2013 8:27 PM
Review by Springer1: User Rating:

I've been constipated over a week. A friend recommended Dulcalax. I took two tablets with several glasses of water and about 2 to 3 hours later, I felt a normal urge to go to the bathroom and did. I've read reviews on here about terrible cramps. I had none. Will use again, if needed. Maybe drinking a lot of water helps.

December 8, 2013 7:38 PM
Review by mongothebeast (taken for 5 to 10 years): User Rating:

The results I get from Dulcolax are very unpredictable. I always take 1 tablet. Sometimes it just does its thing in one day or so with no appreciable side effects. At other times I get fairly nasty cramps and the soft stools for days, which tends to dehydrate and make me feel fairly "energy free". My recommendation is to take 1 tablet and see how it goes. If cramps are severe, talk to your doctor before increasing the dose.

November 6, 2013 5:08 PM
Review by sunny923: User Rating:

I have chronic constipation, i'm 31 and had this all my life...having a troublesome time going regularly, i hate taking fiber cuz it just bloats me and fills me up more with no effect...it might work for 1 day but affer that i'm in the same boat! I usually take slimming tea with a senna leaf in it, but it gives me extreme cramping! I decided to try ducolax, I took 1 pill to be on the safe side and it worked with mild cramping, maybe in the next few days I will try half a pill but you have to drink a lot of water with it.

October 21, 2013 1:23 PM
Review by Emily Ng: User Rating:

It is an effective product; I take about 2 pills every 2-3 days and they work predictably, usually about 10-12 hours after taking them. Many people have complained about cramping, but the cramps are actually generally quite mild, as long as you drink at least a glass of water right after taking the pills.

October 12, 2013 9:05 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

My doctor instructed me to take 4 pills at once. Six hours later I had a small bowel movement. I did not have any cramping. I'm still waiting and hoping for another bowel movement.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
July 30, 2013 11:45 PM
Review by Petry04: User Rating:

Dosage for adults says 1-3 pills. I'm 27, 130 lbs, hadn't gone for almost two weeks and was starting to feel full even when I didn't eat and extremely bloated. I only took one pill because I didn't want severe cramping. 7 hours later, after a lot of rumbling and mild cramping I had to "go". Intense cramping during going, my knees were shaking and I vomited three times as well. This certainly works, but I also felt like I had a severe stomach virus for about the 30 minute duration. This was from one pill. I couldn't imagine taking 2 or three. Everyone's bodies react differently, but I will be going the enema route next time.

July 13, 2013 12:41 AM
Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

I took Ducolax because I was severely constipated for like 2.5 days so I took two pills. Immediately I went to the bathroom...but non-stop. I'm still feeling the effects of those two little pills and am still having diarrhea 5 days after taking it.

June 25, 2013 11:58 AM
Review by Red is satisfied!: User Rating:

I'm so satisfied with this product. I have a rare bowel disease and cannot have a Bowel motion naturally. Dulcolax has helped me in so many ways. I don't know what I would do without it.

May 29, 2013 5:40 PM
Review by Opiate constipation (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

I am on prescription opiate pain medication which makes me constipated on a regular basis. I have tried every laxative on the market aside from enemas and this is the ONLY one that relieves me. Yes, I do experience cramping a few minutes before "its time to go" but it definitely does its job every time.

May 23, 2013 9:16 AM
Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

I took 2 Dulcolax for mild constipation and 5 hours later was hit with severe abdominal pain and sweating for about 45 minutes. It was the first time that I had used this. I was about to leave for the emergency room and it subsided. My daughter read some reviews on Dulcolax and found that several people were affected in this way. I would definitely stay away from this product. It did relieve the constipation this morning.

May 9, 2013 11:21 AM
Review by stuffed up... (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Was constipated for days, my fiancee mentioned this product to me. I didn't have any cramps, took one pill with a full 12 oz bottle of water and about 3-4 hours later I was relieved of my bowels.

May 6, 2013 2:26 AM
Review by A4 (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

I took 1 and several hours later I ended up with the most horrible diarrhea and vomiting I've ever had. I will never use this product again.

March 5, 2013 5:42 AM
Review by Jonna Ellis (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

This medicine always does what it is supposed to do. My only problem is that it causes severe cramps.

February 8, 2013 12:20 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

This worked really well for me. I didn't have any of the side effects, except some extremely mild cramping for a minute or two before it was time to "go". The only negative for me was that it took over 24 hours to work.

October 18, 2012 12:57 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

I was constipated for 11 days. I tried everything I was even in the hospital. Some how this did the trick but it left me with the most gut wrenching cramps I have ever experienced. And it made me have diarrhea.

August 28, 2012 7:30 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

I took 3 before going to bed. Was awoken to severe stomach cramps 6 hours later. Painful, but worked.

July 21, 2012 8:20 PM