User Reviews for Atorvastatin

Also known as: Lipitor

Learn more about Atorvastatin.

Atorvastatin Review Summary

6.0/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 254 medications used in the treatment of High Cholesterol.

Reviews for Atorvastatin to treat High Cholesterol

"I was only on this med for about 6 weeks when I finally figured out it was causing severe joint pain in my knees and feet. Stopped taking it and the pain went away after one day. Also caused diahrea. I'm going to try lowering my cholesterol with diet and exersize. Too many risks of side effects with statins."

Jeff 54 August 30, 2015

Lipitor (atorvastatin): "In the past year I have experienced four occasions of hyperlipidemia, rhabdomylosis, and acute renal failure. All four times I woke up in ICU and had a lengthy stay in the hospital. I am still taking atorvastin, have muscle aches and pains, with weakness, joint pain and stiffness, and restless legs, with no control of movement. I am miserable most of the time. Recently my doctor stopped the lipitor for the next six weeks to see what changes may happen."

pj1962 (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 6, 2015

Lipitor (atorvastatin): "At 40 mg, lipitor was too effective for me. My Total Cholesterol dropped from the 230's down to 138 in 4 weeks. The doctor covering for my regular doctor was thrilled. Then the other nasty effect of the Lipitor kicked in, the anger. It made me want yell and scream how much of an idiot he was when he disagreed that my cholesterol was too low. How dare that man question me about my mood? It is a very aggressive anger that makes you want to snap. I suggested reducing the dose by half and retesting. 4 weeks later my TC was 158 and my LDL was still less 100, my regular doctor was happy with that. The best part was anger was gone and I felt better. My regular doctor never heard about this anger side effect."

Reruho (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 5, 2015

"When taking Atorvastatin I have developed many side effects. I have had headaches, dizziness, lack of energy, weakness, like I'm always tired, chills, fever, cramps, sore eyes, and mood swings. Although this medication seems to work well."

Unknown1100 August 2, 2015

"Was on 10 mg of Atorvastatin, my cholesterol went way down. After about 6 months, I developed severe cramping in back of legs, especially behind my knee cap. Pain came every night and every morning. There were times I couldn't pick my legs up to get over the curb. Sometimes I wasn't sure I was going to make it to work. Pain was in both legs ran down from behind my butt checks to my heel."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 31, 2015

Lipitor (atorvastatin): "On Lipitor I developed Polyneuropathy in my left foot. Burning and electrical charge sensations. Stopped Lipitor and problem went. Took several weeks before it left my body.Everyone on Statins should be taking Co Enzyme Q10 or Ubiquinol to help prevent muscle pains. I prefer quality of life to one of pain. I am an active healthy 83 yr old with high cholesterol. "

Katnic July 27, 2015

Lipitor (atorvastatin): "I have been taking Lipitor for 8 years now with no problems whatsoever."

Harold Sr. (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 27, 2015

"I had high cholesterol for 2 plus years. After less than 2 months on Atorvastatin, my cholesterol is normal. I have had side effects, headaches and muscles aching, but the Atorvastatin works, and worked very quickly for me. Great medication!"

hfu April 16, 2015

"Excellent drug Also increases HDL decrease triglycerides few or none side effects"

guiso (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 12, 2015

"Atorvastatin prescribed for years. on January woke up with severe leg cramps in both legs, aching in morning, couldn't walk any distance, joint pains severe, back so painful. Doc never mentioned it could be tabs and I couldn't believe a neighbour who was exactly the same as me. Her doc took her off them and she's back to her gym routine and never felt better!!! I've stopped them 3 days ago and I've never felt better. Started back at my gym."

housebound but better now. (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 6, 2015

Lipitor (atorvastatin): "I've been on Lipitor (Atorvastin) 40mg for about 6 years and complained about leg cramps for 5 of those years. All I kept hearing was the "low on potassium" with never a solution. The cramps have been unrelenting and at times, all day long. Legs, feet, toes, fingers. Talking to a friend about this the other day, she said she had to stop taking Lipitor due to leg cramps. Well, knock me down. I never associated this cramping with my cholesterol medication. I stopped taking it a week ago and haven't had one single cramp! Now I have to find another cholesterol medication but it sounds like all of them can have this side effect."

carolo43 (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 5, 2015

"I started this last night at bed time. Woke up with cramping and sore muscles In my legs back and sides."

pepziman (taken for less than 1 month) April 2, 2015

"I only took Atorvastatin (40mg tabs) for two days and noticed a slight rash all over my torso. The next day it had spread and looked redder. Nurse said to take Benadryl and go to ER if it became worse. "

Cheryl LH March 13, 2015

Lipitor (atorvastatin): "I'm 58 always kept in shape and ate well but LDL was still elevated. I'm not sure if it's coincidental but I have more energy, better in bed and have not had an a-fibrilation episode since I've been on 10mg daily. I know it sounds like a commercial but that has been my experience. My main or larger arteries are clear of plaque but I may have had blocking of the smaller ones and the Lipitor may have helped clear them. Or I'm just lucky."

sfzhm (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 1, 2015

"Many horrible side effects made taking it impossible."

Kathy99 (taken for less than 1 month) January 4, 2015

"I take 10 mg daily. I have muscle, back as well as joint pain. Not sure if it is caused by statin. Will keep monitoring."

Happymen December 30, 2014

"Never had such side effects as I did when taking atorvastatin. Quality of life went out the window unable to dress myself below the waste because of very bad muscle pain and weakness in the legs unable to walk more than 100 yards. Unable to bend down. Have now stopped taking it and quality of life is now back to normal after one week."

addo (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 17, 2014

100 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I went to a Lipidologist to find out why my HDL was better than optimal, but my LDL-p was close to 2000 (should be under 1000). Found out it was due to genetics, and no amount of exercise and healthy food would matter. She put me on Atorvastatin, and two months later my LDL-p was at 740. I have had absolutely no side effects in a year of use. Would I like to be off of all meds? Sure, but my low thyroid and high LDL suggest otherwise. So, up to now, all is well."

Sue b. March 8, 2014

Lipitor (atorvastatin): "My cardiologist took me off Lipitor 2 weeks ago-my cholesterol is great after being on a low carb diet. Previously my body was covered in bruises at all times which I had attributed to other medicines(Plavix and aspirin) I Just realized I am bruise free for the first time in over a year. Conclusion: it was the Lipitor causing the problem. "

nana500 October 3, 2013

112 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Lipitor (atorvastatin): "Took Lipitor for about 5 years. It kept my lipids under control well, but developed severe leg aching and muscle cramps, especially at night. Went off it and within a week, all these reactions disappeared."

Kate g August 27, 2013

203 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Lipitor (atorvastatin): "I have taken this for 8 years but it makes me feel like a zombie. And it affects my memory and motor skills. I recently went back to work and had to quit the lipitor because it affected my ability to work. Don't know what I will try next. Started on Crestor 9 years ago and couldn't stand the pain in my legs."

momlovestobake August 14, 2013

140 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Severe back and joint pain which started all of a sudden without explanation."

Chocolat Chips July 6, 2013

82 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Lipitor (atorvastatin): "Have been on this so long but recently I feel it creates nausea and stomach/abdominal pain. No matter when I take it with or without food I seem to get this reaction. My Dr is stumped, but I cannot get past this awful "sick" feeling all the time. When I stop taking it I do much better. When I start again the same thing happens. My only other prescription is for High blood pressure and is the same as I have always taken so we figure it is not that. "

jcvdm (taken for 10 years or more) June 2, 2013

122 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"At 40 mg, I experienced numbness, tingling, and burning in my toes and fingers. Cold fingers and feet as well. This occurred over a period of 3 weeks. Stopped taking the pill, and symptoms disappeared. I experienced similar issues when taking lipitor 40mg as well. I can tolerate doses only up to 20 mg."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 18, 2013

"I took it one day and had to stop. Didn't read the pamphlet and I took it before I went to bed. Not for me since I have osteoarthritis and degenerative disc disease with back muscle spasms. I also have thyroid, vertigo, sinus problems, stomach and bowel issues. I have been on pain killers for my pain for over 10 years, so I was afraid that this medication was going to not mix well with my medicines. But, the next day, my right ear was completely blocked, I had a headache with fuzziness. So weak I had to take the day off of work and go back to bed, slept all day. My face was a gray color and my eyes looked like I was in pain. I drank a lot of water to flush this one pill out of me and felt much better. "

GJL (taken for less than 1 month) February 8, 2013

76 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Learn more about High Cholesterol