User Reviews for Atorvastatin

Also known as: Lipitor

Learn more about Atorvastatin.

High Cholesterol, Fa...ial Heterozygous 3 reviews 15 medications

High Cholesterol, Familial Homozygous 3 reviews 8 medications

3.8
Summary of Atorvastatin reviews 68 reviews 6.1

Reviews for Atorvastatin

For High Cholesterol: "I took both simvastatin (got a rash/hives) and Lipitor (even worse rash/hives) which I'm still plagued by even though I went off Lipitor more than a month ago. The rash comes and goes; some days unbearable and others barely noticeable. My urine also developed a foul and toxic odor along with changes in urinary habits/timing. I think these statins ought to be banned."

Denny0522 February 7, 2016

For High Cholesterol: "I have only been on for a week and a half. I have not had any side effects. I take 10mg every day. For a little background on myself. My Total Cholesterol has been over 400 for a long time. I was pretty adamant about reducing my TC without statins. Finally I decided to give them a try. My last blood test had my Cholesterol in the 300 zone which is an improvement for me. I am into bodybuilding, and that entails me to Bulk up and then Diet down. Weirdly enough my >300 Cholesterol reading was in my Bulk up Phase where I am 260lbs and carrying more Bodyfat than normal. I low carb during my lean phases where I cut out all starch carbs and sugars. Doctor thinks its a hereditary Cholesterol problem. I never get over 15% bf."

DRACOMACHINE (taken for less than 1 month) January 16, 2016

Lipitor (atorvastatin) for High Cholesterol, Familial Homozygous: "This caused me severe muscle pain and cramps ."

Andyman January 10, 2016

Lipitor (atorvastatin) for High Cholesterol: "I took 40mgs. Lipitor daily for 2 weeks & experienced complete muscle paralysis in my legs & arms. Had to stop taking Lipitor. Next Dr prescribed Crestor. Crestor worked alright for 1 month. Then again I had paralysis in my arms & legs. The paralysis disappeared in several days after stopping the cholesterol lowering meds. Dr. Then prescribed Niaspan (prescription strength Niacin) that also produced the paralysis in my thighs and arms , within 2 weeks . Paralysis disappeared in 2 to 3 days after stopping each med. Dr. Decided I need to take 500 mgs. Niacin with food 4 times per day & that has helped me greatly, w/o any paralysis. I also decreased foods that are high in cholesterol & exercise more often. I am 72 yrs of age."

MartinelliHazabelli December 23, 2015

Lipitor (atorvastatin) for High Cholesterol: "My doc says I may be the 1 in 100,000 that just can't take it. My liver enzymes went off the chart and I am still recovering from acute hepatitus and muscle pain."

Lindylou123 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 12, 2015

For High Cholesterol: "I was given Lipitor 20 mg. 8 days ago,last night I found a rash under my left breast the size of a half dollar,it does not itch or anything,the only thing that has changed is the lipitor,I will NOT take it any more.I knew it had to be something new I had done & this was it. After my research on here,I am sure that is what it is.I have never had chicken pox,I know it can NOT be shingles. Since I have never had a heat rash in the summer & now it is cooler weather,it has to be the lipitor.I have some other my Dr. gave me a couple of years back & I only took 14 but noticed no side affects.The pharmasist said maybe wait a couple of days to start the other.Never knew my cholesterol was as high as 381 till recently!Lipitor is NOT FOR ME!"

CameoLadyTX December 10, 2015

Lipitor (atorvastatin) for High Cholesterol: "I have been using a Lipitor for only one week but am feeling fatigue and muscle pains, my cholesterol drops down from 130 to 100, but too much side effect, I decided to stop and now am feeling OK"

Dereya November 14, 2015

For Prevention of Cardiovascular Disease: "20mg a day gave me stomach pains. Went to 10mg. Works good, no side effects."

Dhjyytffghuy October 28, 2015

For High Cholesterol: "I took 10mg for a week. Severe stomach pains, muscle pains and joint pain. It felt like I had body aches from the flu! So tired wiped out my energy. Also, where I broke my wrist I was getting sharp stabbing pains there. Called the doctor and he said stop taking it immediately. Thank god because these side effects were horrible. Going to try exercise, green tea and essentials oils before I even give another brand a try."

Bad side effects October 20, 2015

For High Cholesterol: "Started on 10mg daily in May. Began having headaches daily and my joints in my hands increased in pain, especially in the am. I am in my 4th month now headaches are much better. Hands still hurt but seem a little better. Now my back aches a lot and I feel tired every morning. It's like I stayed up half the night making it a chore to get up and get ready for work. I worry about all the things this drug may be doing to my kidneys, liver and muscles. However, after 3 months my cholesterol and LDL dropped significantly. I would like to maybe decrease to every other day or maybe try diet and exercise again."

Creolamama September 24, 2015

For High Cholesterol: "I was only on this med for about 6 weeks when I finally figured out it was causing severe joint pain in my knees and feet. Stopped taking it and the pain went away after one day. Also caused diahrea. I'm going to try lowering my cholesterol with diet and exersize. Too many risks of side effects with statins."

Jeff 54 August 30, 2015

Lipitor (atorvastatin) for High Cholesterol: "In the past year I have experienced four occasions of hyperlipidemia, rhabdomylosis, and acute renal failure. All four times I woke up in ICU and had a lengthy stay in the hospital. I am still taking atorvastin, have muscle aches and pains, with weakness, joint pain and stiffness, and restless legs, with no control of movement. I am miserable most of the time. Recently my doctor stopped the lipitor for the next six weeks to see what changes may happen."

pj1962 (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 6, 2015

Lipitor (atorvastatin) for High Cholesterol: "At 40 mg, lipitor was too effective for me. My Total Cholesterol dropped from the 230's down to 138 in 4 weeks. The doctor covering for my regular doctor was thrilled. Then the other nasty effect of the Lipitor kicked in, the anger. It made me want yell and scream how much of an idiot he was when he disagreed that my cholesterol was too low. How dare that man question me about my mood? It is a very aggressive anger that makes you want to snap. I suggested reducing the dose by half and retesting. 4 weeks later my TC was 158 and my LDL was still less 100, my regular doctor was happy with that. The best part was anger was gone and I felt better. My regular doctor never heard about this anger side effect."

Reruho (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 5, 2015

For High Cholesterol: "When taking Atorvastatin I have developed many side effects. I have had headaches, dizziness, lack of energy, weakness, like I'm always tired, chills, fever, cramps, sore eyes, and mood swings. Although this medication seems to work well."

Unknown1100 August 2, 2015

For High Cholesterol: "Was on 10 mg of Atorvastatin, my cholesterol went way down. After about 6 months, I developed severe cramping in back of legs, especially behind my knee cap. Pain came every night and every morning. There were times I couldn't pick my legs up to get over the curb. Sometimes I wasn't sure I was going to make it to work. Pain was in both legs ran down from behind my butt checks to my heel."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 31, 2015

Lipitor (atorvastatin) for High Cholesterol: "On Lipitor I developed Polyneuropathy in my left foot. Burning and electrical charge sensations. Stopped Lipitor and problem went. Took several weeks before it left my body.Everyone on Statins should be taking Co Enzyme Q10 or Ubiquinol to help prevent muscle pains. I prefer quality of life to one of pain. I am an active healthy 83 yr old with high cholesterol. "

Katnic July 27, 2015

Lipitor (atorvastatin) for High Cholesterol: "I have been taking Lipitor for 8 years now with no problems whatsoever."

Harold Sr. (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 27, 2015

For High Cholesterol: "I had high cholesterol for 2 plus years. After less than 2 months on Atorvastatin, my cholesterol is normal. I have had side effects, headaches and muscles aching, but the Atorvastatin works, and worked very quickly for me. Great medication!"

hfu April 16, 2015

For High Cholesterol: "Excellent drug Also increases HDL decrease triglycerides few or none side effects"

guiso (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 12, 2015

For High Cholesterol: "Atorvastatin prescribed for years. on January woke up with severe leg cramps in both legs, aching in morning, couldn't walk any distance, joint pains severe, back so painful. Doc never mentioned it could be tabs and I couldn't believe a neighbour who was exactly the same as me. Her doc took her off them and she's back to her gym routine and never felt better!!! I've stopped them 3 days ago and I've never felt better. Started back at my gym."

housebound but better now. (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 6, 2015

Lipitor (atorvastatin) for High Cholesterol: "I've been on Lipitor (Atorvastin) 40mg for about 6 years and complained about leg cramps for 5 of those years. All I kept hearing was the "low on potassium" with never a solution. The cramps have been unrelenting and at times, all day long. Legs, feet, toes, fingers. Talking to a friend about this the other day, she said she had to stop taking Lipitor due to leg cramps. Well, knock me down. I never associated this cramping with my cholesterol medication. I stopped taking it a week ago and haven't had one single cramp! Now I have to find another cholesterol medication but it sounds like all of them can have this side effect."

carolo43 (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 5, 2015

75 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For High Cholesterol: "I started this last night at bed time. Woke up with cramping and sore muscles In my legs back and sides."

pepziman (taken for less than 1 month) April 2, 2015

For High Cholesterol: "I only took Atorvastatin (40mg tabs) for two days and noticed a slight rash all over my torso. The next day it had spread and looked redder. Nurse said to take Benadryl and go to ER if it became worse. "

Cheryl LH March 13, 2015

Lipitor (atorvastatin) for High Cholesterol: "I'm 58 always kept in shape and ate well but LDL was still elevated. I'm not sure if it's coincidental but I have more energy, better in bed and have not had an a-fibrilation episode since I've been on 10mg daily. I know it sounds like a commercial but that has been my experience. My main or larger arteries are clear of plaque but I may have had blocking of the smaller ones and the Lipitor may have helped clear them. Or I'm just lucky."

sfzhm (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 1, 2015

Lipitor (atorvastatin) for Prevention of Cardiovascular Disease: "Continuous muscle pain on back of both thighs. Discontinued use after two weeks & a few days and the pain is gone."

Kpreuss (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 26, 2015