User Reviews for Atorvastatin

Also known as: Lipitor

Learn more about Atorvastatin.

High Cholesterol, Fa...ial Heterozygous 3 reviews 14 medications

High Cholesterol, Familial Homozygous 2 reviews 8 medications

4.7
Rheumatoid Arthritis 0 reviews 362 medications

Hyperlipoproteinemia 0 reviews 43 medications Not rated - Be the first
Hyperlipoproteinemia... beta-VLDL IDL 0 reviews 5 medications Not rated - Be the first
Hyperlipoproteinemia...Ia, Elevated LDL 0 reviews 30 medications Not rated - Be the first
Hyperlipoproteinemia...vated LDL VLDL 0 reviews 29 medications Not rated - Be the first
Hyperlipoproteinemia...V, Elevated VLDL 0 reviews 28 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Atorvastatin reviews 41 reviews 6.3

Reviews for Atorvastatin

Review by addo (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For High Cholesterol: Never had such side effects as I did when taking atorvastatin. Quality of life went out the window unable to dress myself below the waste because of very bad muscle pain and weakness in the legs unable to walk more than 100 yards. Unable to bend down. Have now stopped taking it and quality of life is now back to normal after one week.

August 17, 2014 9:54 AM

Review by Sue b.:

For High Cholesterol: I went to a Lipidologist to find out why my HDL was better than optimal, but my LDL-p was close to 2000 (should be under 1000). Found out it was due to genetics, and no amount of exercise and healthy food would matter. She put me on Atorvastatin, and two months later my LDL-p was at 740. I have had absolutely no side effects in a year of use. Would I like to be off of all meds? Sure, but my low thyroid and high LDL suggest otherwise. So, up to now, all is well.

March 8, 2014 5:44 PM

Review by nana500:

Lipitor (atorvastatin) for High Cholesterol: My cardiologist took me off Lipitor 2 weeks ago-my cholesterol is great after being on a low carb diet. Previously my body was covered in bruises at all times which I had attributed to other medicines(Plavix and aspirin) I Just realized I am bruise free for the first time in over a year. Conclusion: it was the Lipitor causing the problem.

64 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 3, 2013 9:46 AM

Review by Kate g:

Lipitor (atorvastatin) for High Cholesterol: Took Lipitor for about 5 years. It kept my lipids under control well, but developed severe leg aching and muscle cramps, especially at night. Went off it and within a week, all these reactions disappeared.

123 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 27, 2013 8:43 AM

Review by momlovestobake:

Lipitor (atorvastatin) for High Cholesterol: I have taken this for 8 years but it makes me feel like a zombie. And it affects my memory and motor skills. I recently went back to work and had to quit the lipitor because it affected my ability to work. Don't know what I will try next. Started on Crestor 9 years ago and couldn't stand the pain in my legs.

82 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 14, 2013 12:11 AM

Review by Chocolat Chips:

For High Cholesterol: Severe back and joint pain which started all of a sudden without explanation.

52 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 6, 2013 10:09 AM

Review by jcvdm (taken for 10 years or more):

Lipitor (atorvastatin) for High Cholesterol: Have been on this so long but recently I feel it creates nausea and stomach/abdominal pain. No matter when I take it with or without food I seem to get this reaction. My Dr is stumped, but I cannot get past this awful "sick" feeling all the time. When I stop taking it I do much better. When I start again the same thing happens. My only other prescription is for High blood pressure and is the same as I have always taken so we figure it is not that.

74 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 2, 2013 3:17 PM

Review by Xavier hinojo (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For High Cholesterol, Familial Heterozygous: After two months I have low cholesterol and triglycerides. I take 10mgs daily for 60 days.

February 26, 2013 5:59 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For High Cholesterol: At 40 mg, I experienced numbness, tingling, and burning in my toes and fingers. Cold fingers and feet as well. This occurred over a period of 3 weeks. Stopped taking the pill, and symptoms disappeared. I experienced similar issues when taking lipitor 40mg as well. I can tolerate doses only up to 20 mg.

81 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 18, 2013 11:16 PM

Review by GJL (taken for less than 1 month):

For High Cholesterol: I took it one day and had to stop. Didn't read the pamphlet and I took it before I went to bed. Not for me since I have osteoarthritis and degenerative disc disease with back muscle spasms. I also have thyroid, vertigo, sinus problems, stomach and bowel issues. I have been on pain killers for my pain for over 10 years, so I was afraid that this medication was going to not mix well with my medicines. But, the next day, my right ear was completely blocked, I had a headache with fuzziness. So weak I had to take the day off of work and go back to bed, slept all day. My face was a gray color and my eyes looked like I was in pain. I drank a lot of water to flush this one pill out of me and felt much better.

61 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 8, 2013 8:09 PM

Review by Bpk (taken for less than 1 month):

For High Cholesterol, Familial Homozygous: My doctor switched me from simvastin 80 mg to atrovastatin 20 mg because my cholesterol started to go up again from 130 to 154. This is only day four of taking this medicine and I feel like I was hit by a brick wall. I feel so tired and have to force myself to get out of bed. I also feel that's its effecting my cognitive abilities.. Calling my doctor today to switch...

February 7, 2013 1:10 PM

Review by LVMarco (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For High Cholesterol: Lipitor from Pfizer completely controlled my cholesterol for over 8 years. Within 3-4 months of using a generic my doctor saw a rise in cholesterol, and I am at lower weight, and exercising more. I have switched to Lipitor from Pfizer, will re-test in 3 months and report findings.

February 5, 2013 5:02 PM

Review by mizzannie (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Lipitor (atorvastatin) for High Cholesterol: Lipitor plus Zetia lowered cholesteral from 300 to 200, lots of aches, pains and charley-horses in the legs especially going up and down stairs. High cholesteral prominent in the family genes. Now have nasty skin rashes red welts with itch that is a torture, dermatology, allergist and GP have no answers. I am guessing it is the statins as its the only other thing I take is a LD aspirin.

91 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 14, 2012 9:19 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For High Cholesterol: I have only been taking this medicine for 1 month, 10 mg every other day. Already I am experiencing severe joint and muscle pain. This has happened to me every time I have taken statin drugs. I will be going back to my doctors to discuss further and look for an alternative.

76 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 6, 2012 5:45 AM

Review by waj:

For High Cholesterol: I have used Zocor, Zetia, Lipitor, Pravachol. Lipitor is most effective, about the same side effects as Zocor but reduces cholesterol more quickly. Other than pains and aches, I feel these statin drugs make you diabetic over the long run. The pains become less acute after your body gets used to them.

March 12, 2012 12:40 AM

Review by jon moss:

Lipitor (atorvastatin) for High Cholesterol, Familial Heterozygous: Its good.

January 4, 2012 5:50 AM

Lipitor (atorvastatin) for High Cholesterol: I was placed on Lipitor 10 mg after trying all of the other cholesterol reducing drugs. Developed after three days, very stiff neck and overall muscle soreness. Doctor ordered a CPK test and my levels are off. She discontinued me on this medication. Must not be for everyone. Will continue with my diet and exercise. My cholesterol must be hereditary since I follow Weight Watchers, have lost weight and I exercise daily.

111 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 12, 2011 9:54 AM

Review by Kara592:

Lipitor (atorvastatin) for High Cholesterol: My dad takes Lipitor and he is very happy with it. His cholesterol levels are much closer to his target level, with no side effects.

July 8, 2011 4:19 PM

Lipitor (atorvastatin) for High Cholesterol: I've been taking Lipitor for over 4 years-no side effects noted and my cholesterol is now 132, Trigycedrides 84, LDL 65, and HDL 50.

67 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 2, 2010 2:50 AM

Review by jpc330:

Lipitor (atorvastatin) for High Cholesterol: Works well at lowering lipids when combined with Niaspan. Had to discontinue because of cognitive disorders and severe muscle pain. No rhabdo, however.

March 10, 2010 12:35 AM

Review by Da pig:

Lipitor (atorvastatin) for High Cholesterol: My number was 240 with a bad ratio. Now its around 140 with a great ratio.

February 5, 2010 6:48 PM

Lipitor (atorvastatin) for High Cholesterol: Lipitor gave huge muscle cramps in my legs, sides and stomach.

100 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 16, 2009 11:39 AM

Lipitor (atorvastatin) for High Cholesterol: 43 year old male been on 20mg lipitor for 3 months, alot of side effects for first month mainly muscle spasms and uneasy stomach. Cholesterol went from 240 to 120, cut dose in half, and no more side effects.

103 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 19, 2009 10:07 PM

Lipitor (atorvastatin) for High Cholesterol: Been on Lipitor for 7 months & it worked very well. Then I developed a rash that drove me crazy.

October 15, 2009 11:22 PM

Lipitor (atorvastatin) for High Cholesterol: Suffered from memory loss/lapse and muscle aches/cramps in my legs. Switched to Crestor and have had no side effects at all.

105 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 8, 2009 3:40 PM