User Reviews for Atorvastatin

Also known as: Lipitor

Learn more about Atorvastatin.

High Cholesterol, Fa...ial Heterozygous 3 reviews 15 medications

High Cholesterol, Familial Homozygous 2 reviews 8 medications

4.7
Rheumatoid Arthritis 0 reviews 334 medications

Hyperlipoproteinemia 0 reviews 43 medications Not rated - Be the first
Hyperlipoproteinemia... beta-VLDL IDL 0 reviews 4 medications Not rated - Be the first
Hyperlipoproteinemia...Ia, Elevated LDL 0 reviews 29 medications Not rated - Be the first
Hyperlipoproteinemia...vated LDL VLDL 0 reviews 29 medications Not rated - Be the first
Hyperlipoproteinemia...V, Elevated VLDL 0 reviews 28 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Atorvastatin reviews 58 reviews 5.8

Reviews for Atorvastatin

For High Cholesterol: "I was only on this med for about 6 weeks when I finally figured out it was causing severe joint pain in my knees and feet. Stopped taking it and the pain went away after one day. Also caused diahrea. I'm going to try lowering my cholesterol with diet and exersize. Too many risks of side effects with statins."

Jeff 54 August 30, 2015

Lipitor (atorvastatin) for High Cholesterol: "In the past year I have experienced four occasions of hyperlipidemia, rhabdomylosis, and acute renal failure. All four times I woke up in ICU and had a lengthy stay in the hospital. I am still taking atorvastin, have muscle aches and pains, with weakness, joint pain and stiffness, and restless legs, with no control of movement. I am miserable most of the time. Recently my doctor stopped the lipitor for the next six weeks to see what changes may happen."

pj1962 (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 6, 2015

Lipitor (atorvastatin) for High Cholesterol: "At 40 mg, lipitor was too effective for me. My Total Cholesterol dropped from the 230's down to 138 in 4 weeks. The doctor covering for my regular doctor was thrilled. Then the other nasty effect of the Lipitor kicked in, the anger. It made me want yell and scream how much of an idiot he was when he disagreed that my cholesterol was too low. How dare that man question me about my mood? It is a very aggressive anger that makes you want to snap. I suggested reducing the dose by half and retesting. 4 weeks later my TC was 158 and my LDL was still less 100, my regular doctor was happy with that. The best part was anger was gone and I felt better. My regular doctor never heard about this anger side effect."

Reruho (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 5, 2015

For High Cholesterol: "When taking Atorvastatin I have developed many side effects. I have had headaches, dizziness, lack of energy, weakness, like I'm always tired, chills, fever, cramps, sore eyes, and mood swings. Although this medication seems to work well."

Unknown1100 August 2, 2015

For High Cholesterol: "Was on 10 mg of Atorvastatin, my cholesterol went way down. After about 6 months, I developed severe cramping in back of legs, especially behind my knee cap. Pain came every night and every morning. There were times I couldn't pick my legs up to get over the curb. Sometimes I wasn't sure I was going to make it to work. Pain was in both legs ran down from behind my butt checks to my heel."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 31, 2015

Lipitor (atorvastatin) for High Cholesterol: "On Lipitor I developed Polyneuropathy in my left foot. Burning and electrical charge sensations. Stopped Lipitor and problem went. Took several weeks before it left my body.Everyone on Statins should be taking Co Enzyme Q10 or Ubiquinol to help prevent muscle pains. I prefer quality of life to one of pain. I am an active healthy 83 yr old with high cholesterol. "

Katnic July 27, 2015

Lipitor (atorvastatin) for High Cholesterol: "I have been taking Lipitor for 8 years now with no problems whatsoever."

Harold Sr. (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 27, 2015

For High Cholesterol: "I had high cholesterol for 2 plus years. After less than 2 months on Atorvastatin, my cholesterol is normal. I have had side effects, headaches and muscles aching, but the Atorvastatin works, and worked very quickly for me. Great medication!"

hfu April 16, 2015

For High Cholesterol: "Excellent drug Also increases HDL decrease triglycerides few or none side effects"

guiso (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 12, 2015

For High Cholesterol: "Atorvastatin prescribed for years. on January woke up with severe leg cramps in both legs, aching in morning, couldn't walk any distance, joint pains severe, back so painful. Doc never mentioned it could be tabs and I couldn't believe a neighbour who was exactly the same as me. Her doc took her off them and she's back to her gym routine and never felt better!!! I've stopped them 3 days ago and I've never felt better. Started back at my gym."

housebound but better now. (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 6, 2015

Lipitor (atorvastatin) for High Cholesterol: "I've been on Lipitor (Atorvastin) 40mg for about 6 years and complained about leg cramps for 5 of those years. All I kept hearing was the "low on potassium" with never a solution. The cramps have been unrelenting and at times, all day long. Legs, feet, toes, fingers. Talking to a friend about this the other day, she said she had to stop taking Lipitor due to leg cramps. Well, knock me down. I never associated this cramping with my cholesterol medication. I stopped taking it a week ago and haven't had one single cramp! Now I have to find another cholesterol medication but it sounds like all of them can have this side effect."

carolo43 (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 5, 2015

For High Cholesterol: "I started this last night at bed time. Woke up with cramping and sore muscles In my legs back and sides."

pepziman (taken for less than 1 month) April 2, 2015

For High Cholesterol: "I only took Atorvastatin (40mg tabs) for two days and noticed a slight rash all over my torso. The next day it had spread and looked redder. Nurse said to take Benadryl and go to ER if it became worse. "

Cheryl LH March 13, 2015

Lipitor (atorvastatin) for High Cholesterol: "I'm 58 always kept in shape and ate well but LDL was still elevated. I'm not sure if it's coincidental but I have more energy, better in bed and have not had an a-fibrilation episode since I've been on 10mg daily. I know it sounds like a commercial but that has been my experience. My main or larger arteries are clear of plaque but I may have had blocking of the smaller ones and the Lipitor may have helped clear them. Or I'm just lucky."

sfzhm (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 1, 2015

Lipitor (atorvastatin) for Prevention of Cardiovascular Disease: "Continuous muscle pain on back of both thighs. Discontinued use after two weeks & a few days and the pain is gone."

Kpreuss (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 26, 2015

For High Cholesterol: "Many horrible side effects made taking it impossible."

Kathy99 (taken for less than 1 month) January 4, 2015

For High Cholesterol: "I take 10 mg daily. I have muscle, back as well as joint pain. Not sure if it is caused by statin. Will keep monitoring."

Happymen December 30, 2014

For High Cholesterol: "Never had such side effects as I did when taking atorvastatin. Quality of life went out the window unable to dress myself below the waste because of very bad muscle pain and weakness in the legs unable to walk more than 100 yards. Unable to bend down. Have now stopped taking it and quality of life is now back to normal after one week."

addo (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 17, 2014

100 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For High Cholesterol: "I went to a Lipidologist to find out why my HDL was better than optimal, but my LDL-p was close to 2000 (should be under 1000). Found out it was due to genetics, and no amount of exercise and healthy food would matter. She put me on Atorvastatin, and two months later my LDL-p was at 740. I have had absolutely no side effects in a year of use. Would I like to be off of all meds? Sure, but my low thyroid and high LDL suggest otherwise. So, up to now, all is well."

Sue b. March 8, 2014

Lipitor (atorvastatin) for High Cholesterol: "My cardiologist took me off Lipitor 2 weeks ago-my cholesterol is great after being on a low carb diet. Previously my body was covered in bruises at all times which I had attributed to other medicines(Plavix and aspirin) I Just realized I am bruise free for the first time in over a year. Conclusion: it was the Lipitor causing the problem. "

nana500 October 3, 2013

112 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Lipitor (atorvastatin) for High Cholesterol: "Took Lipitor for about 5 years. It kept my lipids under control well, but developed severe leg aching and muscle cramps, especially at night. Went off it and within a week, all these reactions disappeared."

Kate g August 27, 2013

203 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Lipitor (atorvastatin) for High Cholesterol: "I have taken this for 8 years but it makes me feel like a zombie. And it affects my memory and motor skills. I recently went back to work and had to quit the lipitor because it affected my ability to work. Don't know what I will try next. Started on Crestor 9 years ago and couldn't stand the pain in my legs."

momlovestobake August 14, 2013

140 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For High Cholesterol: "Severe back and joint pain which started all of a sudden without explanation."

Chocolat Chips July 6, 2013

82 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Lipitor (atorvastatin) for High Cholesterol: "Have been on this so long but recently I feel it creates nausea and stomach/abdominal pain. No matter when I take it with or without food I seem to get this reaction. My Dr is stumped, but I cannot get past this awful "sick" feeling all the time. When I stop taking it I do much better. When I start again the same thing happens. My only other prescription is for High blood pressure and is the same as I have always taken so we figure it is not that. "

jcvdm (taken for 10 years or more) June 2, 2013

122 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For High Cholesterol, Familial Heterozygous: "After two months I have low cholesterol and triglycerides. I take 10mgs daily for 60 days."

Xavier hinojo (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 26, 2013