User Reviews for Humira

Learn more about Humira.

Humira Review Summary

8.2/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 81 medications used in the treatment of Ankylosing Spondylitis.

Reviews for Humira to treat Ankylosing Spondylitis

"Made me feel terrible, didn't relieve pain and was given to me even though my family has a history of lymphoma despite my warning the doctor of this. Beware this treatment for AS, gives you worse health problems than the pain it treats."

aeon (taken for less than 1 month) August 25, 2015

"I was recently diagnosed with AS at 35, after developing severe iritis in both eyes following my hysterectomy. My inflammation was so severe, my eyes swelled shut! After rounds of testing, everything came back normal. Then my severe lower back pain, and everything that comes with AS came on fast and I got iritis back in one eye!! I could not walk, bend or sleep without crying and kept gaining weight! Finally they tested me for the gene, it came back positive. After seeing a specialist this past April, I began a variety of testing and was officially diagnosed! I started humira in May and wow, I sometimes forget I have the disease!! I lost 12 lbs in the first 2 weeks and now, not much pain. I am very thankful for this treatment and coverage!"

Ange C (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 8, 2015

"My back and hip pain started back in 2001. I seen soo many doctors for it and was told I was too fat so I dropped 100lbs and the pain got worse. Then I was told I was pill seeking. Told that doctor if a fricken Midol took away the pain I would take that! Finally after 10 years of pain my gastroenterologist tested me for AS and it came back positive. I was diagnosed with Colitis back in 96 so I'm not sure why they didn't put two and two together and as a result since I went untreated for a decade my spine and hips are really messed up. I was on Enbrel which was amazing. Just switched to humira. Praying it kicks in soon!!! Tired of the pain!!!"

CLE2004 (taken for less than 1 month) May 8, 2015

"I was diagnosed with Ankylosing spondilitis 8 months ago at the age of 49 although I had back pain and sacroiliac joint pain for many years which seemed to be getting worse and worse. I started getting inflammation in my eyes about 10 years ago. (uveitis) On my orthamogist's advice, I saw a reumatologist and even though white lines appeared on my SI joints on MRI scans she was unhelpful. I got worse and kept self medicating. After more bouts of uveitis I went to see the reumatologist again who tested me for the HLA gene. When it came back negative, she dismissed me again until 3 years later I could no longer walk even though I had been swimming and doing Pilates. Humira has given me my life back after 4 months. My mobility is back."

Leyla Murad May 6, 2015

"I'm not one for hyperbole but genuinely think its a miracle. I've just had a proper good sneeze. Full inhalation, full 'James Brown' "Owwww!" At the end. First time in over a year not been halted mid-sneeze by the pain of the inhalation or having had to control the sneeze to a mild 'heeewwwwww-Ouch' Sounds ridiculous to those who've never felt that way, but in addition to the normal yada-yada-yada of being able to stand up and walk etc a proper sneeze or laugh or cough is priceless."

JC.99 March 31, 2015

"I am a 43 year old male. I have been struggling with hip and lower back pain for about 5 years now. Been on NSAIDS for inflammation and pain. Don't really remember what a full night of rest feels like. To be honest I was scared to take Humira until I done my own research. On 2-11-2015 I had my first shot of Humira. I'm thinking this sucker is going to really hurt. Took me about 5 minutes to get my nerve up. Oh well I pushed the button and the rest is history. OMG!!!!!!!!! Why did I wait so long. To me the shot doesn't hurt but it does sting just a little. 2 days after the shot. No pain in hips and sleeping all night. I still have some tightness in my lower back when I wake up. So far its a miracle."

The Air Man (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 22, 2015

"I was offered Humira by a specialist in rheumatoid arthritis. I was iffy about taking this treatment, I have several discs that are damaged from 15 years of being a Union Flooring Installer, and I was seeking a more permanent solution for the pain, little did I know what kind of ride I was in for. The RA Dr. was very eager to put me on Humira, after seeing him just twice. After injected, I experienced a wide array of side effects; flu like pain in lower back (never goes away) caused my C2 pain medicine to have 0 affect (240mg Oxycontin), my entire body felt blotted, my taste-buds were messed up, I was not aware of my surroundings at times, insomnia, stomach aches, and gas! Feeling cold often."

AMD is GARBAGE (taken for less than 1 month) February 2, 2015

"I get Humira from the VA and have been on it for a couple of years. I only inject about once a month even though I am suppose to use it once every two weeks. It works well, but I am concerned about side effects. I got Shingles once after taking the shot. I am assuming because it lowers my immune system. However, it is worth the risk overall and significantly has reduce my pain and pretty much stopped the progression. I also take Piroxicam daily."

LadduNick January 31, 2015

"Great medicine and Abvee/Abbott has great customer service, PAP and sharps Biohazard disposal programs. 50 year old male, diagnosed at 13, Tall 6.3 (6.2 in the morning). Humira has worked for me for many years. However my body became tolerant as my disease progressed my Doc changed it to 1x/10 days but this medicine is less flexible as it relates to dosage as opposed to Remicade. [The only downside to this, thus less then 10.] After trying all of the various biologics for Ankylosing Spondylitis (Remicade, Enbrel, and Humira) in my decades long journey with AS. I have found, it's back to Remicade again because of dosage flexibility."

timcaldwell1 (taken for 10 years or more) December 19, 2014

"This is a fantastic medicine. I'm 31 years old and have struggled with back pain since being about 25. Being very tall (6'4) many of the issues were put down to my tallness. When the back pain started affecting my breathing I knew something more that being tall was a play. After a number of differing referrals, I was finally passed to a Rheumatology specialist who spotted my symptoms very quickly and suggested my treatment. It took over a month to get the test results and approvals but when I started treatment the results were within a week for me. Now I have next to no pain and I have no real symptoms. The injections are uncomfortable but for 10 seconds of pain for 2 weeks of being able to move and breathe without being in pain is worth it."

Velta12 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 11, 2014

"I see some comments about painful injections, I had that too but I wasn't letting the medication warm up after taking it out of the refrigerator, if it warms up it's no problem. I've been on this about 4 months and I'm feeling better every week. It's awesome."

dagmastr12 June 30, 2014

"Humira is a miracle. Prior to being on Humira I had tried two previous solutions NSAIDs and a non-starch diet with lots of exercise. NSAIDs had absolutely no effect. The non-starch diet with some exercise did help bring the pain to what I would call manageable but flares would still happen and with them would come several day cycle of poor sleep, less exercise, and so on. My rheumatologist explained that some new research suggest Humira may actually help to stop the progression of the disease so I gave it a shot (pun, hah!). It took about 3 weeks to start kicking in and by week 5 my symptoms were totally gone. No back pain. No shoulder pain. No waking up in the middle of the night."

Sledge2k (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 29, 2014

"I am 19 years old and was diagnosed with Ankylosing Spondylitis (AS) when I was 17. I was prescribed Humira very quickly because my AS caused severe back, hip and ankle pain and have been taking it for over a year now. So far, the medicine has worked very well and I feel no pain whatsoever. The medicine does make me feel tired, but this is a genuine side effect."

jakeepton January 10, 2014

"I'm a 43 yr female and have had Ankylosing Spondylitis since 15 yrs old. Started Humira a year ago and only lasted 6 months taking it as it made me sick, feverish, weak, sweating and confusion and generally feeling unwell but my pain was significantly reduced and had fatigue. Had to stop taking it, couldn't stand feeling sick."

Trace16 November 27, 2013

"Has worked wonders for my pain but the injection hurts so bad. Its pain keeps making me jerk and of course I had to mess up my last injection. "

DDFut November 22, 2013

"I have lived with Ankylosing Spondylitis since I was 14 (49 now). Did okay with NSAIDS until about 10 years ago when it began to really get bad. Started Humira 2 years ago. It took about 4 months to really help my back. Unfortunately lately it seems to be losing it's effectiveness. Hopefully this is just a blip in treatment."

cdris7319 September 15, 2013

"I am 38. After my total hip replacement, Doc. found sacroiliac joint swollen. I couldn't bend and had a lot of pain. Been in Humira for 2 1/2 years now. If you numb your site with ice before using your Humira pen. 1/2 hour before, is less painful. "

Mariale1992 September 11, 2013

"Before I was taking Pyrilin 6Kmg/day and Feldine 20mg and I had constant pain, some days were better than others but I always had something. Since being on Humira I am running again, I ran 8 miles the other day in a bit over an hour and I felt great after, tired but no joint pain, the next day I felt great as well, I have lost 6 pounds and I am active again. I have not been sick yet, but this is a worry still. I wish I had this 10 years ago!"

ZZ Top August 20, 2013

"Female, age 40 with Ankylosing Spondylitis on Humira 2 x monthly for 2.5 years. I am so thankful for this medicine! I was crippled by this disease during inflammation for several years and Humira eliminated it. The only drawbacks are that I am still chronically fatigued, am prone to infections, and fear the unknown long-term effects of Humira."

ACAB March 24, 2013

"I started Humira at the end of July this year and within a few days, my pain in my lower back and neck disappeared. Recently my wife picked up my prescription and left the Humira in her car for 8 hours not being refrigerated in 90 degree weather. I used the Humira and my symptoms returned. I contacted the 1-800-4Humira number and spoke with a nurse who informed me that the Humira (when left outside) was unstable and should not had been used. Lesson learned... make sure to immediately refrigerate your Humira. I am now waiting to get my next injection and am praying it works for me again."

siplwitz September 22, 2012

"I have had ankylosing spondylitis for 20 years, 45 now, was able to cope well with anti-inflammatories. Pain and mobility really started to get bad in last 5 years, last year anti-inflammatories stopped being effective, major loss of mobility, lots of pain and had to add pain killers. Started Humira and was pain free in 1 month, gained back all mobility, pain free and able to do any exercise I want without any problems. 6 months in and no side effects as yet."

Longbow February 2, 2012

"I feel like I have so much energy when I have my shots, morning stiffness and aches in my upper and lower back seem so much better. Only downside is the worry about the more serious side effects and the hair loss!"

joey41 January 3, 2012

"Don't know why, but the Humira Pen injection is almost always super painful. MUST be poor design. I did self-injectiions with a string of Enbrel for 10 years, and it never hurt. And after a recent hip replacement, I had Arixtra (blood thinner) injections that were completely painless. Why does the Humira pen hurt so bad? And I know it is not me, because I have read hundreds of other people complain about the same thing."

Anonymous November 17, 2011

"I had tested a number of non-steroid anti-inflammatory medicines and either they had very limited reaction or intolerance. I was proposed Humira as a potential miracle. Unfortunately it was not at all the case for me and so I reverted to Indocid. "

DJDezzo November 9, 2011

"I was initially approved for and was given 2 treatments of Humira for A.S. Within 1 month, I noticed a dramatic improvement in my symptoms: reduced pain and increase in physical function. Then my insurance company, Blue Shield of CA decided not to approve this treatment, indicating that I needed to try a cheaper medication, methotrexate along with a NSAID. I have been on numerous NSAIDs, the only one which was successful in pain control was Celebrex, which they also denied approval. I have not gotten the safe effect from the methotrexate and naproxen, in fact, I have never felt this bad even before the Humira. I am appealing the denial of this wonder drug so that I may resume its use."

johnny y October 1, 2009