User Reviews for Humira

Learn more about Humira.

Humira review summary

8.5/10 Average Rating

Compare all 94 medications used in the treatment of Ankylosing Spondylitis.

Reviews for Humira to treat Ankylosing Spondylitis

Review by Sledge2k (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Humira is a miracle. Prior to being on Humira I had tried two previous solutions NSAIDs and a non-starch diet with lots of exercise. NSAIDs had absolutely no effect. The non-starch diet with some exercise did help bring the pain to what I would call manageable but flares would still happen and with them would come several day cycle of poor sleep, less exercise, and so on. My rheumatologist explained that some new research suggest Humira may actually help to stop the progression of the disease so I gave it a shot (pun, hah!). It took about 3 weeks to start kicking in and by week 5 my symptoms were totally gone. No back pain. No shoulder pain. No waking up in the middle of the night.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
January 29, 2014 10:13 AM
Review by jakeepton: User Rating:

I am 19 years old and was diagnosed with Ankylosing Spondylitis (AS) when I was 17. I was prescribed Humira very quickly because my AS caused severe back, hip and ankle pain and have been taking it for over a year now. So far, the medicine has worked very well and I feel no pain whatsoever. The medicine does make me feel tired, but this is a genuine side effect.

January 10, 2014 6:29 AM
Review by Trace16: User Rating:

I'm a 43 yr female and have had Ankylosing Spondylitis since 15 yrs old. Started Humira a year ago and only lasted 6 months taking it as it made me sick, feverish, weak, sweating and confusion and generally feeling unwell but my pain was significantly reduced and had fatigue. Had to stop taking it, couldn't stand feeling sick.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
November 27, 2013 4:20 AM
Review by DDFut: User Rating:

Has worked wonders for my pain but the injection hurts so bad. Its pain keeps making me jerk and of course I had to mess up my last injection.

November 22, 2013 12:53 AM
Review by cdris7319: User Rating:

I have lived with Ankylosing Spondylitis since I was 14 (49 now). Did okay with NSAIDS until about 10 years ago when it began to really get bad. Started Humira 2 years ago. It took about 4 months to really help my back. Unfortunately lately it seems to be losing it's effectiveness. Hopefully this is just a blip in treatment.

September 15, 2013 12:31 AM
Review by Mariale1992: User Rating:

I am 38. After my total hip replacement, Doc. found sacroiliac joint swollen. I couldn't bend and had a lot of pain. Been in Humira for 2 1/2 years now. If you numb your site with ice before using your Humira pen. 1/2 hour before, is less painful.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
September 11, 2013 2:53 PM
Review by ZZ Top: User Rating:

Before I was taking Pyrilin 6Kmg/day and Feldine 20mg and I had constant pain, some days were better than others but I always had something. Since being on Humira I am running again, I ran 8 miles the other day in a bit over an hour and I felt great after, tired but no joint pain, the next day I felt great as well, I have lost 6 pounds and I am active again. I have not been sick yet, but this is a worry still. I wish I had this 10 years ago!

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
August 20, 2013 10:43 PM
Review by ACAB: User Rating:

Female, age 40 with Ankylosing Spondylitis on Humira 2 x monthly for 2.5 years. I am so thankful for this medicine! I was crippled by this disease during inflammation for several years and Humira eliminated it. The only drawbacks are that I am still chronically fatigued, am prone to infections, and fear the unknown long-term effects of Humira.

March 24, 2013 1:29 PM
Review by siplwitz: User Rating:

I started Humira at the end of July this year and within a few days, my pain in my lower back and neck disappeared. Recently my wife picked up my prescription and left the Humira in her car for 8 hours not being refrigerated in 90 degree weather. I used the Humira and my symptoms returned. I contacted the 1-800-4Humira number and spoke with a nurse who informed me that the Humira (when left outside) was unstable and should not had been used. Lesson learned... make sure to immediately refrigerate your Humira. I am now waiting to get my next injection and am praying it works for me again.

September 22, 2012 12:34 AM
Review by Longbow:

I have had ankylosing spondylitis for 20 years, 45 now, was able to cope well with anti-inflammatories. Pain and mobility really started to get bad in last 5 years, last year anti-inflammatories stopped being effective, major loss of mobility, lots of pain and had to add pain killers. Started Humira and was pain free in 1 month, gained back all mobility, pain free and able to do any exercise I want without any problems. 6 months in and no side effects as yet.

February 2, 2012 8:38 PM
Review by joey41: User Rating:

I feel like I have so much energy when I have my shots, morning stiffness and aches in my upper and lower back seem so much better. Only downside is the worry about the more serious side effects and the hair loss!

January 3, 2012 11:08 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Don't know why, but the Humira Pen injection is almost always super painful. MUST be poor design. I did self-injectiions with a string of Enbrel for 10 years, and it never hurt. And after a recent hip replacement, I had Arixtra (blood thinner) injections that were completely painless. Why does the Humira pen hurt so bad? And I know it is not me, because I have read hundreds of other people complain about the same thing.

November 17, 2011 3:42 AM
Review by DJDezzo: User Rating:

I had tested a number of non-steroid anti-inflammatory medicines and either they had very limited reaction or intolerance. I was proposed Humira as a potential miracle. Unfortunately it was not at all the case for me and so I reverted to Indocid.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
November 9, 2011 11:59 AM
Review by johnny y: User Rating:

I was initially approved for and was given 2 treatments of Humira for A.S. Within 1 month, I noticed a dramatic improvement in my symptoms: reduced pain and increase in physical function. Then my insurance company, Blue Shield of CA decided not to approve this treatment, indicating that I needed to try a cheaper medication, methotrexate along with a NSAID. I have been on numerous NSAIDs, the only one which was successful in pain control was Celebrex, which they also denied approval. I have not gotten the safe effect from the methotrexate and naproxen, in fact, I have never felt this bad even before the Humira. I am appealing the denial of this wonder drug so that I may resume its use.

October 1, 2009 6:15 PM
Review by reecon1: User Rating:

I have been suffering from ankylosing spondylitis for several years. My condition got so bad I couldn't walk, undress myself, get in or out of bed unaided and didn't sleep through the night without pain. Tried several drugs that had no effect and the joints in my back, ribs and pelvis continued to fuse. Then I started Humira 4 months ago and I haven't had a single bit of pain anywhere since. The only problem I have with it is the injection site is very swollen, hot and itchy and the drug itself can give you quite a sting but I can now lead a normal active life, so for me the side effects are well worth it but I am concerned about the long term effects of this drug.

May 29, 2009 5:53 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

I'm a 22 year old female with ankylosing spondylitis. I was desperate to find something to relieve my pain especially in my sacroiliac joint. I was no longer able to participate in regular sporting games, exercise, or even carry out daily activities on some days. After starting Humira, I was able to return to all of these activities free of pain. My ONLY concern are the long term side effects.

March 30, 2009 6:18 PM
Review by Debilou: User Rating:

Being female with ankylosing spondylitis was rare enough, but the pain in my lower back was bad. Humira was started in Nov 07 and the pain felt in walking was taken care of. It has halted the progression of the ankylosing spondylitis in my lower back.

55 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 24, 2008 2:50 AM