User Reviews for Campral

Learn more about Campral.

Campral Review Summary

8.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 6 medications used in the treatment of Alcohol Dependence.

Reviews for Campral to treat Alcohol Dependence

"I have been in two 28 day in patient programs within the past 20 months. And tried the whole meetings thing. I'm not saying those things are not wonderful tools, but still after that I found myself back in the same boat. Drunk. My Dr. Prescribed me campral and I bit the bullet and self detoxed one long weekend. The following Tuesday I started taking the campral and since then I haven't had the first craving. I do stay away from old drinking buddies, and certain situations that might be triggers but it's been a month. And for me that is huge. I am a much better person without alcohol. And this pill has most definitely helped me out alot."

NOTdrunkDAVE (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 3, 2015

"I am ten years sober now and I also took Campral when I hit bottom and started my recovery. I took Campral in conjunction with a program of sobriety, AA. I believe Campral helped me with my uphill battle when I started. I had been drinking regularly for over 30 years."

Rick B April 9, 2015

"Works well."

campralkitty (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 29, 2015

"I am now on day 5 of Acamprosate, First two days I felt amazing. especially on the first day taking the tablets gave me such a hyper rush. same on the second day and I had no cravings whatsoever, even sat with my flatmates who were drinking and had no desire to drink at all I was elated. Until it came to the 3rd day and I spent half the day itching for a drink until I got home, ate lots of junk food and had my tablets- then I felt fine again. But on the 4th day no amount of junk food, squash, taking my tablets... I itched for a drink up until I fell asleep. Has anyone else experienced this? I notice about 5min after I take the tablet I feel really high and hyper, it then wears off until I take my next dosage again."

Laura Makingtea (taken for less than 1 month) March 27, 2015

"I was a heavy drinker for 35 years. I relapsed 2 years ago after more than 12 years of sobriety. My doctor gave me Campral. I was amazed, I had no desire for a drink, ZERO desire. I did have severe diarrhea, the drug was doing so well that I tried to tough it out, hoping my body would adjust. It didn't and reluctantly I was forced to stop. after 2 weeks without a drink I started again. Just got Naltrexone today. I hope it works as well without the side effects."

JMJ49 (taken for less than 1 month) February 19, 2015

"I was a binge drinker and finished a bottle of Scotch every second night so when it started to be nearly every night I went to my doctor and he prescribed me Campral, never had any cravings and could be around anyone who was drinking and it wouldn't bother me, its now been 2 1/2 years since I had a drink! I only took it for 6 months and stopped taking it because the chemist couldn't get it but I already knew I was fine by then. In Australia it only cost $6 per script....saved me a fortune. "

1bossco (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 2, 2015

"Having been a serious and functioning alcoholic for many years I finally hit rock bottom both health wise, and family wise, I ruptured blood vessels in my throat and almost drowned in my own blood, this was due to the amount of alcohol I was drinking.... the doctors told my wife I would not make it through the weekend.. I pulled through, I called my Dr to see if there was anything to kill the cravings. Campral was prescribed. I have been clean almost a month now. No cravings. For the first time I have my life back. More people need to be informed of this medication. If you are questioning yourself... give it a try. I did! It truly has saved my life and my marriage. I hope this helps someone. Good luck."

Chris santell (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 21, 2014

76 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I've been in and out of rehabs, AA/NA you name it. This medicine finally has taken my cravings away. If the rooms aren't working for you try Campral along with whatever else you can if you have to."

Anonymous November 11, 2014

"This medicine has curbed my cravings for vodka. Sober for 36 days with little or no cravings!"

dji November 4, 2014

"after spending 4 days in a mental hospital for alcohol detox I was put on campral i was a 2 liter of rum a day DRUNK now after 5 days without a drop I feel GREAT!! I cannot stress the benefits I have and continue to receive my medicare\medicaid is even paying for it"

whittlowe (taken for less than 1 month) November 1, 2014

"Campral has saved my life. I was not able to stop drinking without it. My female GP was very understanding and supportive and sought out the best treatment for me. I am so very thankful. I am - in a short period of time - a new person. I have been alcohol dependent for over 20 years. What I fail to understand is why more people are not lucky enough to have this medicine prescribed for them. I have had no adverse side effects at all. Although my prescription is covered by my insuring company, I would have gladly paid the price for the treatment."

BBYITSU (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 13, 2014

"I have been in/out of rehab since 2011. Just in the past 12 months I have relapsed back to drinking 5x. I've done Antabuse and naltrexone and they did nothing. For the past 6 days I've been taking Campral 2 tabs, 3x a day. I HAVE NO CRAVINGS WHATSOEVER! I really wish someone would have told me about this in 2011! Good Luck from one addict to another."

Crab Cake October 10, 2014

74 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"A miracle pill. I am 4 months without even a urge to drink. Started working first week. I was passing out most days and also had been to rehab. Also stopped biting my nails. An unexpected help for that lifelong habit."

MissyLucy September 18, 2014

"I just, started Campral today. My doctor prescribed it, but after a week of waiting for my insurance to cover, I finally called them, and they said they would not cover "maintenance med." 2 years ago I put myself in rehab, and they paid 10,000.00 dollars, but they wont cover this. I went and got a week worth, $75.00."

jamaica1990 July 17, 2014

"40 years of heavy drinking until severe depression caused me to seek help. With the help of my psychologist and Campral I live again. A few minor gut type side effects but totally worth it."

Bwian (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 14, 2014

"Just an update to my below comment - it has now been nearly a month and I have still not had a drink. Campral is working but for me you still have to do A LOT on of this medicine - it is not a magic pill my any means. Combine therapy with this medicine is suggested."

kdjp82 (taken for less than 1 month) March 24, 2014

"Haven't had a drink in a whole week - which is good for me - seems to be working fine for me!"

kdjp82 (taken for less than 1 month) March 8, 2014

"Well been on Campral a week now. I will say I haven't had a drink but the thoughts still go through my head just to have one but we all no where that leads. I pray to God this helps me, time will tell."

England lass February 13, 2014

"I was a two bottle plus red wine drinker every day of the week. Have been on Campral for a week now. The cravings have gone. I test myself by going to the local pub to meet friends and see if I weaken. Not a drop of booze passes my lips. I watch others knocking back the beer, wine & Gin etc. and I am quite happy with a Virgin Mary, lemonade and bitters or orange juice. I think two pills three times a day is excessive so I'm going to my Doctor and see if I can take it down to 1 pill 3 times a day and then slowly decrease from there. Sex drive is zilch and I sometimes feel unaccountably sad but I have been assured that will pass. Here's hoping. Campral is Federally subsidized here in Australia so it's very cheap!"

Billofoz (taken for less than 1 month) January 28, 2014

"I have been using Campral for 35 days and I am amazed at how it works. It worked immediately for me and I have absolutely no desire to drink again. I wish I'd known abut it years ago. I'm not an alcoholic but I was a terrible binge drinker. I don't miss the hangovers or the regrets one little bit."

Dizzy Di November 27, 2013

83 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Campral has saved my life! I tried rehab and AA and was drinking again right away. The cravings controlled me and I felt panicked if I did not have money for my vodka everyday. I remembered a nurse in detox telling me about Campril. I was in The Orchid Recovery Center for women in Florida. I remember I was leaving recovery and I was nervous I would drink at the airport on the way home and I requested Campril, the Orchid said no that's a cop out do it on your own. Well screw them because I went back to drinking. Honestly rehabs would go out of business because Campral works! It started working on the first pill I swallowed! Cravings are gone I feel like me again! I drank everyday before! Now I don't miss it, want it! 8 days in no drinks! :)"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) November 4, 2013

96 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have been drinking heavily for the past couple of years now, and on most occasions 7 days a week. This was built up of a number of things, but the one thing I blamed the most was the stress at work. After speaking to my psychiatrist, and explained to him the level of drinking I was consuming, he suggested I use Campral. I was drinking approximately 2-3 bottles of either white or red wine each afternoon after work, and smoking about 20 ciggies during this time, however as of 6 days ago I have only drank once,(No smokes) and Campral seems to be working. For me it just help the slow down the urge to drink as frequently. If you do decide to drink while on Campral, look out for the hangover, it somehow makes you feel worse 10 fold."

touchdown79 October 28, 2013

"I have been an alcoholic for 25 years. Drinking between 5 - 7 pints of cider and up to two bottles of wine per night! I went to the Priory twice, the second occasion I went in they put me on Antabuse (when I went in to the Priory my Gamma GT was 50 and just before I came out my Gamma GT was 1600) Unfortunately I was one in 28,000 people to have a severe side affect from this tablet. I was desperate to try something else and was eventually prescribed Campral. I have been on this medication for almost two months and have no cravings for alcohol. I surprised myself walking past pubs and going out for dinner without that strong need for a bottle of wine or two!!"

10Kazza October 22, 2013

"In September 2004 I had been an alcoholic for at least 30 years and been attempting to control my drinking for 10. I was forced by my partner into taking Campral, I was sure it wouldn't work, that it was a waste of money, but after 5 weeks when I was being asked what I would like to drink I suddenly realized that alcohol no longer held any attraction for me that was 9 years ago today and I have never drunk, or even been tempted to drink since then. There is an open bottle of wine in the door of our fridge, there is plenty of other drink in the house, I see it, but am never tempted to drink, the strangest effect is that when I sitting with people who are drinking, I am not envious, I don't want to join them, I don't feel left out."

Mikkelrev (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 10, 2013

121 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Been a heavy drinker for over 6 years since a major operation that left me addicted on morphine. Replaced morphine with beer and wine everyday. From day one of taking Campral, all my cravings went away. I just don't feel like a drink anymore."

Tig3r (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 23, 2013