User Reviews for Campral

Learn more about Campral.

Alcohol Dependence 72 reviews 7 medications

8.8
Summary of Campral reviews 72 reviews 8.8

Reviews for Campral

Review by jamaica1990:

For Alcohol Dependence: I just, started Campral today. My doctor prescribed it, but after a week of waiting for my insurance to cover, I finally called them, and they said they would not cover "maintenance med." 2 years ago I put myself in rehab, and they paid 10,000.00 dollars, but they wont cover this. I went and got a week worth, $75.00.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 17, 2014 1:42 PM

Review by Bwian (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Alcohol Dependence: 40 years of heavy drinking until severe depression caused me to seek help. With the help of my psychologist and Campral I live again. A few minor gut type side effects but totally worth it.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 14, 2014 5:04 PM

Review by kdjp82 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Alcohol Dependence: Just an update to my below comment - it has now been nearly a month and I have still not had a drink. Campral is working but for me you still have to do A LOT on of this medicine - it is not a magic pill my any means. Combine therapy with this medicine is suggested.

March 24, 2014 3:08 PM

Review by kdjp82 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Alcohol Dependence: Haven't had a drink in a whole week - which is good for me - seems to be working fine for me!

March 8, 2014 7:35 PM

Review by England lass:

For Alcohol Dependence: Well been on Campral a week now. I will say I haven't had a drink but the thoughts still go through my head just to have one but we all no where that leads. I pray to God this helps me, time will tell.

February 13, 2014 3:11 PM

Review by Billofoz (taken for less than 1 month):

For Alcohol Dependence: I was a two bottle plus red wine drinker every day of the week. Have been on Campral for a week now. The cravings have gone. I test myself by going to the local pub to meet friends and see if I weaken. Not a drop of booze passes my lips. I watch others knocking back the beer, wine & Gin etc. and I am quite happy with a Virgin Mary, lemonade and bitters or orange juice. I think two pills three times a day is excessive so I'm going to my Doctor and see if I can take it down to 1 pill 3 times a day and then slowly decrease from there. Sex drive is zilch and I sometimes feel unaccountably sad but I have been assured that will pass. Here's hoping. Campral is Federally subsidized here in Australia so it's very cheap!

January 28, 2014 5:38 PM

Review by Dizzy Di:

For Alcohol Dependence: I have been using Campral for 35 days and I am amazed at how it works. It worked immediately for me and I have absolutely no desire to drink again. I wish I'd known abut it years ago. I'm not an alcoholic but I was a terrible binge drinker. I don't miss the hangovers or the regrets one little bit.

November 27, 2013 7:23 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

For Alcohol Dependence: Campral has saved my life! I tried rehab and AA and was drinking again right away. The cravings controlled me and I felt panicked if I did not have money for my vodka everyday. I remembered a nurse in detox telling me about Campril. I was in The Orchid Recovery Center for women in Florida. I remember I was leaving recovery and I was nervous I would drink at the airport on the way home and I requested Campril, the Orchid said no that's a cop out do it on your own. Well screw them because I went back to drinking. Honestly rehabs would go out of business because Campral works! It started working on the first pill I swallowed! Cravings are gone I feel like me again! I drank everyday before! Now I don't miss it, want it! 8 days in no drinks! :)

November 4, 2013 7:12 PM

Review by touchdown79:

For Alcohol Dependence: I have been drinking heavily for the past couple of years now, and on most occasions 7 days a week. This was built up of a number of things, but the one thing I blamed the most was the stress at work. After speaking to my psychiatrist, and explained to him the level of drinking I was consuming, he suggested I use Campral. I was drinking approximately 2-3 bottles of either white or red wine each afternoon after work, and smoking about 20 ciggies during this time, however as of 6 days ago I have only drank once,(No smokes) and Campral seems to be working. For me it just help the slow down the urge to drink as frequently. If you do decide to drink while on Campral, look out for the hangover, it somehow makes you feel worse 10 fold.

October 28, 2013 10:42 PM

Review by 10Kazza:

For Alcohol Dependence: I have been an alcoholic for 25 years. Drinking between 5 - 7 pints of cider and up to two bottles of wine per night! I went to the Priory twice, the second occasion I went in they put me on Antabuse (when I went in to the Priory my Gamma GT was 50 and just before I came out my Gamma GT was 1600) Unfortunately I was one in 28,000 people to have a severe side affect from this tablet. I was desperate to try something else and was eventually prescribed Campral. I have been on this medication for almost two months and have no cravings for alcohol. I surprised myself walking past pubs and going out for dinner without that strong need for a bottle of wine or two!!

October 22, 2013 7:45 AM

Review by Mikkelrev (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Alcohol Dependence: In September 2004 I had been an alcoholic for at least 30 years and been attempting to control my drinking for 10. I was forced by my partner into taking Campral, I was sure it wouldn't work, that it was a waste of money, but after 5 weeks when I was being asked what I would like to drink I suddenly realized that alcohol no longer held any attraction for me that was 9 years ago today and I have never drunk, or even been tempted to drink since then. There is an open bottle of wine in the door of our fridge, there is plenty of other drink in the house, I see it, but am never tempted to drink, the strangest effect is that when I sitting with people who are drinking, I am not envious, I don't want to join them, I don't feel left out.

September 10, 2013 8:10 AM

Review by Tig3r (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Alcohol Dependence: Been a heavy drinker for over 6 years since a major operation that left me addicted on morphine. Replaced morphine with beer and wine everyday. From day one of taking Campral, all my cravings went away. I just don't feel like a drink anymore.

August 23, 2013 8:21 PM

Review by CactusDave:

For Alcohol Dependence: I have been taking Campral 333mg. Two tablets three times daily. And it is working like magic. I have been having no cravings whatsoever!

August 21, 2013 5:12 PM

Review by somersetdan (taken for less than 1 month):

For Alcohol Dependence: Daily drinking for 20 years, been prescribed Campral 2 weeks ago. Don't know how this works but it does, no cravings. Did buy a bottle of wine after being on for a week but there was simply no pleasurable feeling, might as well be drinking water. Long way to go but maybe I might have just found something to help get my kids back.

June 24, 2013 12:23 PM

Review by Eric212 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Alcohol Dependence: I was prescribed this medication after struggling to stay sober. It's very hard to put my finger on exactly how it works, or how it makes me "feel" but the best I can do is to say that I feel as normal as ever, minus the cravings for alcohol! I no longer feel compelled to reach for alcohol, It just doesn't enter my mind anywhere as much. I am taking this as part of a comprehensive program (AA, individual therapy, medication management from a psychiatrist who understands addiction, etc.). It took a good 5 weeks for it to kick in for me but when it did I definitely noticed it. Home run! It's not a magic bullet but it's a BIG help for me!

May 30, 2013 1:48 AM

Review by stricky:

For Alcohol Dependence: Can't ejaculate when having sex.

April 14, 2013 2:27 PM

Review by anna4416:

For Alcohol Dependence: My psychiatrist prescribed Campral because I could not seem to get off the treadmill of daily black-out drinking despite years of trying. I've been taking it just over a month. I'm frankly astonished at how it immediately started muting my cravings. For the first time in years, I didn't feel compelled to drink every night, a very odd feeling! It's important to take all three daily doses. During week two I forgot to take my midday dose to work, worked later than usual, and stopped at the liquor store on the way home. I still work to stay sober - but overall it is enormously helpful.

March 21, 2013 9:11 AM

Review by Kyles (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Alcohol Dependence: As a heavy drinker for ten years, up to 750ml of spirits per night, I finally turned to the doctor for help, after losing my partner and suffering from severe depression. Campral has stopped the cravings and keeps that little voice inside my head that says just one at bay. I have been on it for nearly six months and haven't touched a drop. At first there were side effects of severe wind and dizziness, but they went away after about four weeks. If you are serious about making a positive change, give it a go.

March 21, 2013 5:31 AM

Review by Still Trying! (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Alcohol Dependence: I was prescribed Campral 11yrs ago and being the 'typical drinker' thought it was simply another gimmick to increase the 'failed alky' guilt complex attached to the usual remarks which accompany any lapse in our plight. I'd been given 3 weeks to live due to the amount of alcohol I was consuming (9 litres of 7.5% cider, up to 8 cans of 10% strong lager and up to a litre of whiskey per day. My gamma GT tests showed 1299, the average being between 17 & 53. I'd become jaundiced, had serious liver disease, my health was shot to bits and I was ready to die. In fact it would have been a blessed relief. If I drank much less than stated in a day, withdrawal, fits and pain beyond belief set in. Campral was new and helped save my life. PRESCRIBE IT MORE, NOW, PLEASE?

70 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 8, 2013 1:20 PM

Review by Robert k2314:

For Alcohol Dependence: I have been drinking heavily for the last 12 years. It got to a stage that I would have a beer first thing in the morning and keep going for the rest of the day. I was sacked from work as I was caught drinking at work. After 2 rounds of acute pancreatitis, I decided to put an end to this habit as it was ruining my marriage and life. I was put on Campral by my GP and I have not had a drink in 35 days. No cravings. This is a very effective medicine, that is if you really want to quit and is willing to give Campral a go.

January 8, 2013 5:48 AM

Review by Its finally over:

For Alcohol Dependence: It does work, but you need to give it a few weeks to help with the cravings. I lost my partner, my friends and my licence. Thanks to finding out about Campral myself on the net, my life has turned full circle and I got my REAL friends and life back again. My side affects were gas and lightheadness. I can live with that.

September 1, 2012 3:26 PM

For Alcohol Dependence: I was a daily drinker for over 10 years and have been to 4 rehabs and AA. I just started taking Campral today and have completely lost the desire to drink. I can't explain why or how, I just simply don't crave or even want a drink. I finally feel like I can actually live without obsessing over drinking. I highly recommend this to anyone who is struggling with alcohol.

February 19, 2012 4:57 AM

For Alcohol Dependence: I am a 30 year old female. I battled with alcohol for many years drinking mostly 7 days a week. I am currently finishing a recovery program and asked my counselor about something to help with the intense (overpowering) cravings. She recommended Campral and I was able to get a prescription from my doctor. I have been on the Campral for 2 days now and can't even believe how well it is working. Now I can focus my time on being productive, rather than wasting so much time dwelling on the cravings. My mood also seems better too. Life feels good. Thank God for Campral.

January 6, 2012 10:30 PM

Review by Bubba2133:

For Alcohol Dependence: Campral works very soon after taking it, and really cuts down on the withdrawql and cravings associated with quitting alcohol. However, as a man, I noticed immediate sexual side effects including lack of interest and difficulty reaching orgasm. I also noticed weight gain, when I normally experience weight loss when quitting drinking. Its almost the perfect medicine besides the side effects.

December 18, 2011 11:42 AM

Review by Scott__:

For Alcohol Dependence: Unbeliveable. I have been in and out of AA for over 12 years. My doctor gave me Campral to try and it has had a huge impact immediately. That driving force in my head that used to take me to get a drink is gone. I spoke to my doctor today and asked if this was normal or was I imagining or talking myself into thinking it works and was told nope that's normal. It seems to work right away. So I went on line to read reviews and I am having the same experience, that inner voice driving me to drink is gone and when I try to think about getting a drink it seems like my brain is blocking that thought from going forward. Try it, you got nothing to lose and everything to gain.

December 16, 2011 1:07 PM