User Reviews for Campral

Learn more about Campral.

Alcohol Dependence 91 reviews 7 medications

8.9
Summary of Campral reviews 91 reviews 8.9

Reviews for Campral

For Alcohol Dependence "I had been to many rehabs, tried the whole AA thing. Nothing worked. I was drinking a slab of beer per day 4 many years b4 i realised that I need to do something... I was running a successful 300k p/y company but was so busy that I just never had the time to either cut back nor stop drinking.. I made the extreme decision to quit my business and take time off so that I could concentrate on quitting. I just went to my gp and told him my situation, I requested Campral . I stayed on it for 8months 6 tablets per day and never drank once. That was 3 years ago now I now have social drinks without any issues. AA isn't for everyone and don't be daunted by the fact you will never drink again :) Controlled drinking does work if you make it work."

Jake7676 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 11, 2015

For Alcohol Dependence "This drug works! This is going to sound hard to believe but from the first dose of this medicine I have not had a single craving for alcohol. I have been drinking for some 40 years and heavily for the last 10. Needless to say, I was completely shocked at the results. That said, the side effects have been a little tough. I'm only a week in but the diarrhea has been an issue for about an hour after each dosage. I am hoping that will end in the next day or so."

John_Midtown June 24, 2015

For Alcohol Dependence "Only one week in and this is the first time in over 20 year's that I haven't had a drink, surprisingly feeling positive but now aware of why I was drinking. Time to put rest of my life in order and this is the first time it's felt possible. If your sat reading thinking could it work then I would definitely give it a try, I feel like I'm getting my life back. Just hoping this is long term."

sober Dave (taken for less than 1 month) June 17, 2015

For Alcohol Dependence "So far, so good. I have been in and out of the program (s), detox & several 28-45 day programs. Since taking this med, I have had ZERO cravings for alcohol. I'm actually amazed and pray that this continues to work. I recommend it to any alcoholic."

TiffyWoods (taken for less than 1 month) June 9, 2015

For Alcohol Dependence "I am on day 5 of Campral. The first day I took it, it was like the depressed empty void inside of me (which I now know to be alcohol withdrawal), was filled and I felt whole again. Now, day 5, I feel even better. It's like a dream to be free of cravings and withdrawal, I spent so many years drinking and now I have my life back. It's opened my eyes to what it is to feel normal. No side effects, and I'm on four tablets a day. I tried Aa/Na for 2 years but couldn't stay sober longer than 8 months. Finally I have some peace of mind, no cravings at all, and I'm functioning like a normal person. Thank you doc."

New eyes nicole (taken for less than 1 month) June 6, 2015

For Alcohol Dependence "I wrote my first report in Mid-October of 2014. I have not had any alcohol at all since that post, have reduced my dosage to 1 pill first thing in the morning. I am a very social person, and entertained a great deal. I was very very worried that I would relapse if faced with the availability of alcohol. I have sailed through all my seasonal parties, early spring get togethers and weekly "wings and beer" with friends with not one slip. My husband and daughter are huge supporters. As I write this, I have various wines and liquors in my cabinet - serve to guests - and have no interest at all in consuming booze in any form. Again, I state that Campral saved my life."

BBYITSU (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 31, 2015

For Alcohol Dependence "I have been in two 28 day in patient programs within the past 20 months. And tried the whole meetings thing. I'm not saying those things are not wonderful tools, but still after that I found myself back in the same boat. Drunk. My Dr. Prescribed me campral and I bit the bullet and self detoxed one long weekend. The following Tuesday I started taking the campral and since then I haven't had the first craving. I do stay away from old drinking buddies, and certain situations that might be triggers but it's been a month. And for me that is huge. I am a much better person without alcohol. And this pill has most definitely helped me out alot."

NOTdrunkDAVE (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 3, 2015

For Alcohol Dependence "I am ten years sober now and I also took Campral when I hit bottom and started my recovery. I took Campral in conjunction with a program of sobriety, AA. I believe Campral helped me with my uphill battle when I started. I had been drinking regularly for over 30 years."

Rick B April 9, 2015

For Alcohol Dependence "Works well."

campralkitty (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 29, 2015

For Alcohol Dependence "I am now on day 5 of Acamprosate, First two days I felt amazing. especially on the first day taking the tablets gave me such a hyper rush. same on the second day and I had no cravings whatsoever, even sat with my flatmates who were drinking and had no desire to drink at all I was elated. Until it came to the 3rd day and I spent half the day itching for a drink until I got home, ate lots of junk food and had my tablets- then I felt fine again. But on the 4th day no amount of junk food, squash, taking my tablets... I itched for a drink up until I fell asleep. Has anyone else experienced this? I notice about 5min after I take the tablet I feel really high and hyper, it then wears off until I take my next dosage again."

Laura Makingtea (taken for less than 1 month) March 27, 2015

For Alcohol Dependence "I was a heavy drinker for 35 years. I relapsed 2 years ago after more than 12 years of sobriety. My doctor gave me Campral. I was amazed, I had no desire for a drink, ZERO desire. I did have severe diarrhea, the drug was doing so well that I tried to tough it out, hoping my body would adjust. It didn't and reluctantly I was forced to stop. after 2 weeks without a drink I started again. Just got Naltrexone today. I hope it works as well without the side effects."

JMJ49 (taken for less than 1 month) February 19, 2015

For Alcohol Dependence "I was a binge drinker and finished a bottle of Scotch every second night so when it started to be nearly every night I went to my doctor and he prescribed me Campral, never had any cravings and could be around anyone who was drinking and it wouldn't bother me, its now been 2 1/2 years since I had a drink! I only took it for 6 months and stopped taking it because the chemist couldn't get it but I already knew I was fine by then. In Australia it only cost $6 per script....saved me a fortune. "

1bossco (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 2, 2015

For Alcohol Dependence "Having been a serious and functioning alcoholic for many years I finally hit rock bottom both health wise, and family wise, I ruptured blood vessels in my throat and almost drowned in my own blood, this was due to the amount of alcohol I was drinking.... the doctors told my wife I would not make it through the weekend.. I pulled through, I called my Dr to see if there was anything to kill the cravings. Campral was prescribed. I have been clean almost a month now. No cravings. For the first time I have my life back. More people need to be informed of this medication. If you are questioning yourself... give it a try. I did! It truly has saved my life and my marriage. I hope this helps someone. Good luck."

Chris santell (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 21, 2014

99 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Alcohol Dependence "I've been in and out of rehabs, AA/NA you name it. This medicine finally has taken my cravings away. If the rooms aren't working for you try Campral along with whatever else you can if you have to."

Anonymous November 11, 2014

For Alcohol Dependence "This medicine has curbed my cravings for vodka. Sober for 36 days with little or no cravings!"

dji November 4, 2014

For Alcohol Dependence "after spending 4 days in a mental hospital for alcohol detox I was put on campral i was a 2 liter of rum a day DRUNK now after 5 days without a drop I feel GREAT!! I cannot stress the benefits I have and continue to receive my medicare\medicaid is even paying for it"

whittlowe (taken for less than 1 month) November 1, 2014

For Alcohol Dependence "Campral has saved my life. I was not able to stop drinking without it. My female GP was very understanding and supportive and sought out the best treatment for me. I am so very thankful. I am - in a short period of time - a new person. I have been alcohol dependent for over 20 years. What I fail to understand is why more people are not lucky enough to have this medicine prescribed for them. I have had no adverse side effects at all. Although my prescription is covered by my insuring company, I would have gladly paid the price for the treatment."

BBYITSU (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 13, 2014

For Alcohol Dependence "I have been in/out of rehab since 2011. Just in the past 12 months I have relapsed back to drinking 5x. I've done Antabuse and naltrexone and they did nothing. For the past 6 days I've been taking Campral 2 tabs, 3x a day. I HAVE NO CRAVINGS WHATSOEVER! I really wish someone would have told me about this in 2011! Good Luck from one addict to another."

Crab Cake October 10, 2014

92 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Alcohol Dependence "A miracle pill. I am 4 months without even a urge to drink. Started working first week. I was passing out most days and also had been to rehab. Also stopped biting my nails. An unexpected help for that lifelong habit."

MissyLucy September 18, 2014

For Alcohol Dependence "I just, started Campral today. My doctor prescribed it, but after a week of waiting for my insurance to cover, I finally called them, and they said they would not cover "maintenance med." 2 years ago I put myself in rehab, and they paid 10,000.00 dollars, but they wont cover this. I went and got a week worth, $75.00."

jamaica1990 July 17, 2014

For Alcohol Dependence "40 years of heavy drinking until severe depression caused me to seek help. With the help of my psychologist and Campral I live again. A few minor gut type side effects but totally worth it."

Bwian (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 14, 2014

69 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Alcohol Dependence "Just an update to my below comment - it has now been nearly a month and I have still not had a drink. Campral is working but for me you still have to do A LOT on of this medicine - it is not a magic pill my any means. Combine therapy with this medicine is suggested."

kdjp82 (taken for less than 1 month) March 24, 2014

For Alcohol Dependence "Haven't had a drink in a whole week - which is good for me - seems to be working fine for me!"

kdjp82 (taken for less than 1 month) March 8, 2014

For Alcohol Dependence "Well been on Campral a week now. I will say I haven't had a drink but the thoughts still go through my head just to have one but we all no where that leads. I pray to God this helps me, time will tell."

England lass February 13, 2014

For Alcohol Dependence "I was a two bottle plus red wine drinker every day of the week. Have been on Campral for a week now. The cravings have gone. I test myself by going to the local pub to meet friends and see if I weaken. Not a drop of booze passes my lips. I watch others knocking back the beer, wine & Gin etc. and I am quite happy with a Virgin Mary, lemonade and bitters or orange juice. I think two pills three times a day is excessive so I'm going to my Doctor and see if I can take it down to 1 pill 3 times a day and then slowly decrease from there. Sex drive is zilch and I sometimes feel unaccountably sad but I have been assured that will pass. Here's hoping. Campral is Federally subsidized here in Australia so it's very cheap!"

Billofoz (taken for less than 1 month) January 28, 2014

78 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
Page 1 2 3 4 Next