Pneumococcal Polysaccharide Vaccine
WHAT YOU SHOULD KNOW:
Pneumococcal Polysaccharide Vaccine (Discharge Care) Care Guide
- Pneumococcal Polysaccharide Vaccine
- Pneumococcal Polysaccharide Vaccine Aftercare Instructions
- Pneumococcal Polysaccharide Vaccine Discharge Care
- En Espanol
The pneumococcal polysaccharide vaccine (PPSV) is an injection given to protect you from pneumococcal disease. This is an infection caused by pneumococcal bacteria. The infection may cause pneumonia or an ear infection. It may also cause serious disease, such as meningitis and sepsis (blood infection). Meningitis causes swelling of the fluid and lining that covers your brain and spinal cord. Pneumococcal disease is spread from person to person through coughing and sneezing. The vaccine is usually injected in your upper arm.
AFTER YOU LEAVE:
Follow up with your primary healthcare provider as directed:
Write down your questions so you remember to ask them during your visits.
Apply a warm compress to the injection area as directed to decrease pain and swelling.
For more information:
- The National Immunization Program Public Inquiries
1600 Clifton Road, Mailstop E-05
Atlanta , GA 30333
Phone: 1- 800 - 232-4636
Web Address: http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/
Contact your primary healthcare provider if:
- You have a fever.
- You have swollen or painful lymph nodes in your neck.
- You have increased pain, redness, or swelling around the area where the shot was given.
- You have questions or concerns about the PPSV vaccine.
Seek care immediately or call 911 if:
- Your face is red or swollen.
- You have hives that spread over your body.
- You feel weak or dizzy.
- Your mouth and throat are swollen.
- You are wheezing or have trouble breathing.
- You have chest pain or your heart is beating faster than normal.
- You feel like you are going to faint.
© 2013 Truven Health Analytics Inc. Information is for End User's use only and may not be sold, redistributed or otherwise used for commercial purposes. All illustrations and images included in CareNotes® are the copyrighted property of the Blausen Databases or Truven Health Analytics.
The above information is an educational aid only. It is not intended as medical advice for individual conditions or treatments. Talk to your doctor, nurse or pharmacist before following any medical regimen to see if it is safe and effective for you.