Pneumococcal Vaccine For Adults
WHAT YOU SHOULD KNOW:
The pneumococcal vaccine is an injection given to protect you from pneumococcal disease. Pneumococcal disease is an infection caused by pneumococcal bacteria. The infection may cause pneumonia or an ear infection. Pneumococcal disease is spread from person to person through coughing and sneezing. You may be given the pneumococcal conjugate vaccine (PCV) or the pneumococcal polysaccharide vaccine (PPSV).
Call 911 for any of the following:
- Your mouth and throat are swollen.
- You are wheezing or have trouble breathing.
- You have chest pain or your heart is beating faster than normal for you.
- You feel like you are going to faint.
Return to the emergency department if:
- Your face is red or swollen.
- You have hives that spread over your body.
- You feel weak or dizzy.
Contact your healthcare provider if:
- You have a fever.
- You have swollen or painful lymph nodes in your neck.
- You have increased pain, redness, or swelling around the area where the shot was given.
- You have questions or concerns about the pneumococcal vaccine.
Apply a warm compress
to the injection area as directed to decrease pain and swelling.
Follow up with your healthcare provider as directed:
Write down your questions so you remember to ask them during your visits.
© 2015 Truven Health Analytics Inc. Information is for End User's use only and may not be sold, redistributed or otherwise used for commercial purposes. All illustrations and images included in CareNotes® are the copyrighted property of A.D.A.M., Inc. or Truven Health Analytics.
The above information is an educational aid only. It is not intended as medical advice for individual conditions or treatments. Talk to your doctor, nurse or pharmacist before following any medical regimen to see if it is safe and effective for you.
Learn more about Pneumococcal Vaccine For Adults (Aftercare Instructions)
Drugs associated with:
Micromedex® Care Notes:
- Pneumococcal Vaccine For Adults
- Pneumococcal Vaccine For Adults, Ambulatory Care
- Pneumococcal Vaccine For Children
Related encyclopedia articles: