Generic Name: valerian (Not applicable.)
Brand Name: Generics only. No brands available.
Valerian is used for:
Nervousness, restlessness, and sleep problems. It may also have other uses. Check with your pharmacist for more details regarding the particular brand you use.
Valerian is an herbal product. It works by increasing certain substances in the brain, which produces a relaxing effect.
Do NOT use valerian if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in valerian
- you have a history of liver problems
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using valerian:
Some medical conditions may interact with valerian. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with valerian. However, no specific interactions are known at this time.
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if valerian may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use valerian:
Use valerian as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take this product 30 to 60 minutes before bedtime.
- Dosing depends on the use and the source of the product.
- Use as directed on the package, unless instructed otherwise by your doctor.
- Do not take valerian for more than 2 weeks.
- If you miss taking a dose of valerian for 1 or more days, there is no cause for concern. If your doctor recommended that you take it, try to remember your dose every day.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use valerian.
Important safety information:
- Do not drive, operate machinery, or do anything else that could be dangerous until you know how you react to this product. Using this product alone, with certain other medicines, or with alcohol may lessen your ability to drive or to perform other potentially dangerous tasks.
- Avoid drinking alcohol or taking other medications that cause drowsiness (eg, sedatives, tranquilizers) while taking valerian. Valerian will add to the effects of alcohol and other depressants. Ask your pharmacist if you have questions about which medicines are depressants.
- Check with your doctor before you begin taking any new medicine, either prescription or over-the-counter. This includes medicine that contains antihistamines, especially cough and cold medicines. Ask your pharmacist if you are uncertain.
- This product has not been approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) as safe and effective for any medical condition. The long-term safety of herbal products is not known. Before using any alternative medicine, talk with your doctor or pharmacist.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: Do not take this product if you are pregnant. Do not breast-feed while taking this product.
Possible side effects of valerian:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Blurred vision; changes in heartbeat; headache; morning grogginess; nausea.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue).
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include blurred vision; chest tightness; hand tremor; lightheadedness; paralysis; stomach cramping; weak heartbeat.Proper storage of valerian:
Store at room temperature away from heat, moisture, and light unless otherwise directed on the package label. Do not store in the bathroom. Most herbal products are not in childproof containers. Keep valerian out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about valerian, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Valerian is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take valerian or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about valerian. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to valerian. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using valerian.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about valerian
- Other brands: Valerian Root