Generic Name: spinosad (SPIN-oh-sad)
Brand Name: Natroba
Spinosad suspension is used for:
Treating head lice.
Spinosad suspension is a pediculicide. It works by causing nervous system excitation in insects, which causes paralysis and death of the lice.
Do NOT use spinosad suspension if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in spinosad suspension
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using spinosad suspension:
Some medical conditions may interact with spinosad suspension. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have any skin conditions
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with spinosad suspension. Because little, if any, of spinosad suspension is absorbed into the blood, the risk of it interacting with another medicine is low.
Ask your health care provider if spinosad suspension may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use spinosad suspension:
Use spinosad suspension as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- An extra patient leaflet is available with spinosad suspension. Talk to your pharmacist if you have questions about this information.
- If the patient is a child, an adult will need to apply spinosad suspension.
- Shake well before use.
- Cover the face and eyes with a towel and keep the eyes closed tightly.
- Apply spinosad suspension directly to dry scalp and hair. Do NOT wet the hair before applying spinosad suspension.
- Head lice and nits (eggs) live near the scalp. Completely cover the scalp first and then apply outward toward the ends of the hair. Apply enough of spinosad suspension to cover the entire scalp and all hair. Keep the eyes covered to prevent dripping spinosad suspension into the eyes. Leave on hair for 10 minutes, then rinse completely with warm water.
- Wash your hands immediately after using spinosad suspension.
- After spinosad suspension is washed off, a fine-tooth comb or special nit comb may be used to remove the treated lice and nits from the hair and scalp.
- If live lice are seen 7 days after the first application, treat hair and scalp a second time.
- All personal headgear, scarves, coats, towels, and bed linen should be disinfected by machine washing in hot water and drying. Use the hot cycle of a dryer for at least 20 minutes.
- Personal articles of clothing or bedding that cannot be washed or dried by machine may be dry cleaned, sealed in a plastic bag for a period of about 2 weeks, or sprayed with a product specifically designed for this purpose.
- Personal combs, brushes, and hair clips may be disinfected by soaking in hot water above 130 degrees F (54 degrees C) for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Thoroughly vacuum rooms, including furniture, of individuals infected with lice.
- If you miss a dose of spinosad suspension, use it as soon as you remember. Continue to use it as directed by your doctor.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use spinosad suspension.
Important safety information:
- Spinosad suspension is for external use only. Do not use it near the eyes or allow it to come into contact with the inside of the nose, mouth, or genitals. Irritation may occur if spinosad suspension comes into contact with these areas. If spinosad suspension gets in your eyes, flush with water immediately.
- To help prevent the spread of lice, do NOT share combs, brushes, hats, scarves, bandannas, ribbons, barrettes, hair bands, towels, helmets, or other hair-related personal items with anyone else.
- After finishing treatment with lice medicine, check every family member for lice after one week.
- Spinosad suspension has benzyl alcohol in it. Do not use it in NEWBORNS or INFANTS younger than 6 months old. It may cause serious and sometimes fatal nervous system problems and other side effects.
- Spinosad suspension may cause harm if it is swallowed. If spinosad suspension may have been taken by mouth, contact your poison control center or emergency room right away.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using spinosad suspension while you are pregnant. It is not known if the BENZYL ALCOHOL in spinosad suspension is found in breast milk after topical use. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use spinosad suspension, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of spinosad suspension:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Irritation or redness at the application site.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); irritation or redness of the eyes.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of spinosad suspension:
Store spinosad suspension at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Keep spinosad suspension out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about spinosad suspension, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Spinosad suspension is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take spinosad suspension or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about spinosad suspension. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to spinosad suspension. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your health care provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using spinosad suspension.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about spinosad topical
- Other brands: Natroba