Pyrantel chewable tablets
Generic Name: pyrantel (pi-RAN-tel)
Brand Name: Pin-X
Pyrantel chewable tablets is used for:
Treating pinworm infections.
Pyrantel chewable tablets is an anthelmintic agent. It works by paralyzing the nervous system of intestinal parasites (worms). The parasite is then passed in the stool.
Do NOT use pyrantel chewable tablets if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in pyrantel chewable tablets
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using pyrantel chewable tablets:
Some medical conditions may interact with pyrantel chewable tablets. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have worms other than pinworms
- if others in your home also have pinworms
- if you have liver problems or phenylketonuria
- if you weigh less than 24 lbs (11 kg)
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with pyrantel chewable tablets. However, no specific interactions with pyrantel chewable tablets are known at this time.
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if pyrantel chewable tablets may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use pyrantel chewable tablets:
Use pyrantel chewable tablets as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Pyrantel chewable tablets may be taken alone, with milk or juice, or with a meal.
- Chew thoroughly before swallowing.
- Wear tight underwear both during the day and night while taking pyrantel chewable tablets.
- Only one dose of pyrantel chewable tablets is required. If you forget to take it, take it as soon as you remember.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use pyrantel chewable tablets.
Important safety information:
- Pyrantel chewable tablets may cause dizziness. Do not drive, operate machinery, or do anything else that could be dangerous until you know how you react to pyrantel chewable tablets. Using pyrantel chewable tablets alone, with certain other medicines, or with alcohol may lessen your ability to drive or perform other potentially dangerous tasks.
- This infection spreads easily to family members and close contacts. To prevent reinfection: Disinfect toilets and change and wash underwear, bed linens, towels, clothes, and pajamas daily. Wash your hands with soap often during the day, especially before eating and after using the toilet. Do not scratch the infected area or place your fingers in your mouth.
- The entire household should be treated with pyrantel chewable tablets if one individual in the household has pinworms.
- After treatment with pyrantel chewable tablets, clean the bedroom floor by vacuuming or damp mopping.
- If any worms other than pinworms are present or if symptoms persist after treatment with pyrantel chewable tablets, contact your doctor.
- Phenylketonuria patients - Pyrantel chewable tablets contains phenylalanine.
- Use pyrantel chewable tablets with extreme caution in CHILDREN younger than 2 years of age. Safety and effectiveness in this age group have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant while taking pyrantel chewable tablets, discuss with your doctor the benefits and risks of using pyrantel chewable tablets during pregnancy. It is unknown if pyrantel chewable tablets is excreted in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you are using pyrantel chewable tablets, check with your doctor or pharmacist to discuss the risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of pyrantel chewable tablets:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Diarrhea; dizziness; headache; nausea; stomach cramps; vomiting.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue).
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of pyrantel chewable tablets:
Store pyrantel chewable tablets at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep pyrantel chewable tablets out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about pyrantel chewable tablets, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Pyrantel chewable tablets is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take pyrantel chewable tablets or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about pyrantel chewable tablets. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to pyrantel chewable tablets. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using pyrantel chewable tablets.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.