Generic Name: olopatadine (OH-loe-PAT-a-deen)
Brand Name: Patanase
Olopatadine spray is used for:
Treating allergy symptoms such as sneezing and itchy, runny nose. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Olopatadine spray is an antihistamine nasal spray. It works by blocking the action of histamine, which reduces allergy symptoms.
Do NOT use olopatadine spray if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in olopatadine spray
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using olopatadine spray:
Some medical conditions may interact with olopatadine spray. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have an infection in the nose, a history of nasal injury, or any other nose problems (eg, blockage, narrowing, sores, ulcers)
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with olopatadine spray. Because little, if any, of olopatadine spray is absorbed into the blood, the risk of it interacting with another medicine is low.
Ask your health care provider if olopatadine spray may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use olopatadine spray:
Use olopatadine spray as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Before using olopatadine spray for the first time, you must prime the pump. To do this, point the pump away from yourself and others. Spray 5 times or until a fine mist appears.
- Re-prime the pump if it has not been used for more than 7 days. To do this, point the pump away from yourself and others, then spray 2 times.
- To use a nose spray, gently blow your nose. Tip your head down with your chin toward your chest and place the tip of the spray container into the nose. Be sure to aim the container tip toward the cheek side of the nose away from the center of the nose. Using a finger from your other hand, press against the opposite nostril to close it off. Breathe gently through the open nostril and squeeze the spray container. If you are using more than 1 spray, wait for 1 to 2 minutes between sprays. Do not tip your head back or blow your nose right after using olopatadine spray. After using the medicine, rinse the tip of the spray unit in hot water and dry with a clean tissue to prevent contamination.
- Throw away any medicine that is left in the bottle after you have used 240 sprays (not counting the sprays used to prime the bottle for the first time). You may no longer receive the correct amount of medicine with each spray.
- If you miss a dose of olopatadine spray, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use olopatadine spray.
Important safety information:
- Olopatadine spray is for the nose only. Do not get it in your eyes or mouth. If you get it in these areas, rinse with cool tap water at once.
- Olopatadine spray may cause drowsiness. This effect may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use olopatadine spray with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Check with your doctor before you drink alcohol or use medicines that may cause drowsiness (eg, sleep aids, muscle relaxers) while you are using olopatadine spray; it may add to their effects. Ask your pharmacist if you have questions about which medicines may cause drowsiness.
- Do NOT use more than the recommended dose without checking with your doctor.
- The medicine has an antihistamine in it. Before you start any new medicine, check the label to see if it has an antihistamine (eg, diphenhydramine) in it too. If it does or if you are not sure, check with your doctor or pharmacist.
- Olopatadine spray should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN younger than 6 years old; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using olopatadine spray while you are pregnant. It is not known if olopatadine spray is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use olopatadine spray, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of olopatadine spray:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Bitter taste; cough; drowsiness; headache; mild nosebleed; mild sore throat.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); decreased sense of smell; fever; repeated or persistent nosebleeds; severe nasal irritation; sores in the nose.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include agitation; restlessness; severe drowsiness.Proper storage of olopatadine spray:
Store olopatadine spray between 39 and 77 degrees F (4 and 25 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Keep olopatadine spray out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about olopatadine spray, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Olopatadine spray is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take olopatadine spray or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about olopatadine spray. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to olopatadine spray. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using olopatadine spray.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about olopatadine nasal
- Other brands: Patanase