Generic Name: nystatin (nye-STA-tin)
Brand Name: Bio-Statin
Nystatin powder is used for:
Treatment of fungal infections of the mouth and intestines. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Nystatin powder is an antifungal. It works by weakening cell membranes of the sensitive fungus. This allows the cell contents to leak out and results in death of the fungus.
Do NOT use nystatin powder if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in nystatin powder
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using nystatin powder:
Some medical conditions may interact with nystatin powder. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with nystatin powder. However, no specific interactions with nystatin powder are known at this time.
Ask your health care provider if nystatin powder may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use nystatin powder:
Use nystatin powder as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Use a measuring device marked for medicine dosing. Ask your pharmacist for help if you are unsure of how to measure your dose.
- Place the amount of nystatin powder prescribed by your doctor in 4 to 6 ounces of water. Stir until all of the medicine is dissolved.
- If the mouth is affected, place half the dose in each side of the mouth. Swish the medicine around the entire mouth. Retain the dose in your mouth as long as possible before swallowing, unless directed otherwise by your doctor.
- Take your dose immediately after mixing the medicine. Do not store mixed medicine for use at a later time.
- Nystatin powder works best if it is taken at the same time every day.
- To clear up your infection completely, take nystatin powder for the full course of treatment. Keep taking it even if you feel better in a few days.
- If you miss a dose of nystatin powder, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use nystatin powder.
Important safety information:
- Practice good oral hygiene, including proper care of dentures, while you are taking nystatin powder.
- Be sure to use nystatin powder for the full course of treatment. If you do not, the medicine may not clear up your infection completely.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using nystatin powder while you are pregnant. It is not known if this medicine is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use nystatin powder, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of nystatin powder:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Diarrhea; nausea; stomach irritation; upset stomach; vomiting.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue).
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include diarrhea; high blood pressure; nausea; serious irregular heartbeat; vomiting; wheezing.Proper storage of nystatin powder:
Store nystatin powder in the refrigerator, between 36 and 46 degrees F (2 and 8 degrees C). Do not freeze. Throw away any unused medicine 90 days after the container is first opened. Keep nystatin powder out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about nystatin powder, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Nystatin powder is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take nystatin powder or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about nystatin powder. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to nystatin powder. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using nystatin powder.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about nystatin topical
- Nystatin topical
- Nystatin vaginal
- Nystatin Topical (Advanced Reading)
- Nystatin Vaginal (Advanced Reading)