Generic Name: coagulation factor viia (recombinant) (rt) (koe-AG-yoo-lay-shun FAK-tor)
Brand Name: NovoSeven RT
Severe and sometimes fatal blood clots have happened with NovoSeven RT. Contact your doctor right away if you develop shortness of breath; chest pain that may spread to the arms, neck, jaw, back, or stomach; coughing up blood; calf, leg, arm, or stomach pain, swelling, redness, or tenderness; sweating that is not normal; feeling sick or throwing up; one-sided weakness; severe headache; confusion; or vision, speech, or balance problems.
NovoSeven RT is used for:
Treating or preventing bleeding episodes in patients with certain bleeding problems.
NovoSeven RT is a clotting factor. It works by activating the body's clotting system.
Do NOT use NovoSeven RT if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in NovoSeven RT
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using NovoSeven RT:
Some medical conditions may interact with NovoSeven RT. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you are allergic to mouse, hamster, or cow proteins
- if you have kidney problems, liver problems, heart disease, hardening of the arteries, disseminated intravascular coagulation (DIC), an infection of the blood or tissues, or blood conditions other than hemophilia
- if you have a blood clot or history of blood clots
- if you have had surgery and cannot move around much
- if you have a crush injury
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with NovoSeven RT. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Coagulation factor XIII or activated or nonactivated prothrombin complex concentrates because the risk of blood clots may be increased
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if NovoSeven RT may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use NovoSeven RT:
Use NovoSeven RT as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- NovoSeven RT is usually given as an injection at your doctor's office, hospital, or clinic. If you will be using NovoSeven RT at home, a health care provider will teach you how to use it. Be sure you understand how to use NovoSeven RT. Follow the procedures you are taught when you use a dose. Contact your health care provider if you have any questions.
- Wash your hands before use.
- Before giving the injection, let it come to room temperature. Do not heat NovoSeven RT.
- NovoSeven RT needs to be mixed before use.
- Do not shake.
- Use right away after mixing it. If you cannot use NovoSeven RT right away after mixing it, it can be stored at room temperature or refrigerated for up to 3 hours.
- Do not use NovoSeven RT if it contains particles, is cloudy or discolored, or if the vial is cracked or damaged.
- Use the proper technique taught to you by your doctor. Inject into a vein, NOT deep under the skin or into muscle.
- Keep this product, as well as syringes and needles, out of the reach of children and away from pets. Do not reuse needles, syringes, or other materials. Ask your health care provider how to dispose of these materials after use. Follow all local rules for disposal.
- If you miss a dose of NovoSeven RT, contact your doctor right away.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use NovoSeven RT.
Important safety information:
- Call the doctor right away if the normal dose does not work as well.
- Lab tests, including bleeding time, may be performed while you use NovoSeven RT. These tests may be used to monitor your condition or check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- Use NovoSeven RT with caution in the ELDERLY and in NEWBORNS; they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using NovoSeven RT while you are pregnant. It is not known if NovoSeven RT is found in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking NovoSeven RT.
Possible side effects of NovoSeven RT:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. No COMMON side effects have been reported with NovoSeven RT. Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); dizziness; fainting; swelling; wheezing.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of NovoSeven RT:
NovoSeven RT is usually handled and stored by a health care provider. If you are using NovoSeven RT at home, store NovoSeven RT as directed by your pharmacist or health care provider. Keep NovoSeven RT out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about NovoSeven RT, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- NovoSeven RT is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take NovoSeven RT or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about NovoSeven RT. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to NovoSeven RT. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using NovoSeven RT.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.