Lanacane aerosol spray
Generic Name: benzocaine (BEN-zoe-kane)
Brand Name: Examples include Lanacane and Solarcaine
Lanacane aerosol spray is used for:
Temporarily relieving pain and itching caused by sunburn, insect bites, poison ivy, and other skin conditions. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Lanacane aerosol spray is a topical anesthetic. It works by numbing the skin.
Do NOT use Lanacane aerosol spray if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Lanacane aerosol spray or to other local anesthetics (eg, lidocaine)
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Lanacane aerosol spray:
Some medical conditions may interact with Lanacane aerosol spray. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have diabetes, peripheral vascular problems, skin irritation, severe burns, or deep puncture wounds
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Lanacane aerosol spray. Because little, if any, of Lanacane aerosol spray is absorbed into the blood, the risk of it interacting with another medicine is low.
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Lanacane aerosol spray may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Lanacane aerosol spray:
Use Lanacane aerosol spray as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Lanacane aerosol spray is for external use only. Do not get Lanacane aerosol spray in your eyes, nose, or mouth, or around the rectal or vaginal area. If you get Lanacane aerosol spray in your eyes, rinse immediately with cool tap water.
- Wash hands before and after using Lanacane aerosol spray, unless your hands are part of the treated area.
- Wash and completely dry the affected area.
- Shake the container well. Hold the can 4 to 6 inches away from the skin, pointing the nozzle toward the affected area and away from the eyes. Spray a thin film of medicine over the affected area. Rub in gently if desired.
- If you miss a dose of Lanacane aerosol spray and you are using it regularly, use it as soon as possible. If several hours have passed or if it is nearing time for the next dose, do not double the dose to catch up, unless advised by your health care provider.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Lanacane aerosol spray.
Important safety information:
- Do not use Lanacane aerosol spray on severe burns or deep puncture wounds.
- If your symptoms do not improve within 7 days or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Do not exceed the recommended dose or use Lanacane aerosol spray for longer than 7 days without checking with your doctor.
- Lanacane aerosol spray is extremely flammable. Do not store or use near an open flame or while smoking.
- The contents of this container are under pressure. Do not burn or puncture the container, even if it appears to be empty.
- Do not inhale the contents of this container. Inhaling the contents of this container may be harmful or fatal.
- Use of Lanacane aerosol spray is not recommended in CHILDREN younger than 2 years of age without first checking with your doctor. Safety and effectiveness have not been established.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant while taking Lanacane aerosol spray, discuss with your doctor the benefits and risks of using Lanacane aerosol spray during pregnancy. It is unknown if Lanacane aerosol spray is excreted in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you are using Lanacane aerosol spray, check with your doctor or pharmacist to discuss the risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Lanacane aerosol spray:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Mild stinging or tingling when the medicine is first applied.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); skin bleeding, redness, irritation, swelling, or pain.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Lanacane aerosol spray may be harmful if swallowed.Proper storage of Lanacane aerosol spray:
Store Lanacane aerosol spray at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Do not freeze. Avoid temperatures above 120 degrees F (49 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Lanacane aerosol spray out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Lanacane aerosol spray, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Lanacane aerosol spray is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Lanacane aerosol spray or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Lanacane aerosol spray. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Lanacane aerosol spray. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Lanacane aerosol spray.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.