Kenalog aerosol solutionPronunciation
Generic Name: triamcinolone (TRYE-am-SIN-oh-lone)
Brand Name: Kenalog
Kenalog aerosol solution is used for:
Reducing itching, redness, and swelling associated with many skin conditions.
Kenalog aerosol solution is a corticosteroid. The exact way that it acts against most causes of inflammation is not known, but it is thought to slow or stop the chemicals in the body that cause the inflammation (eg, redness, swelling, irritation).
Do NOT use Kenalog aerosol solution if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Kenalog aerosol solution
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Kenalog aerosol solution:
Some medical conditions may interact with Kenalog aerosol solution. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have a skin infection, thinning of the skin, adrenal gland problems, liver problems, or diabetes
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Kenalog aerosol solution. Because little, if any, of Kenalog aerosol solution is absorbed into the blood, the risk of it interacting with another medicine is low.
Ask your health care provider if Kenalog aerosol solution may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Kenalog aerosol solution:
Use Kenalog aerosol solution as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Wash your hands before applying Kenalog aerosol solution.
- Wash your hands immediately after using Kenalog aerosol solution, unless your hands are part of the treated area.
- Shake well before each use. Hold the container 3 to 6 inches (8 to 15 cm) from the infected area and spray lightly.
- Do not apply Kenalog aerosol solution on the underarms or groin areas unless directed to do so by your doctor.
- Do not wrap or otherwise cover the treated area with bandages or wear tight-fitting clothing unless specifically directed by your doctor. Do not use tight-fitting diapers or plastic pants on children using Kenalog aerosol solution in the diaper area.
- If you miss a dose of Kenalog aerosol solution, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Kenalog aerosol solution.
Important safety information:
- Tell your doctor or dentist that you use Kenalog aerosol solution before you receive any medical or dental care, emergency care, or surgery.
- Kenalog aerosol solution is for external use only. Do not get it in your eyes, nose, or mouth. If you get it in any of these areas, rinse at once with cool water.
- Do not inhale any of Kenalog aerosol solution.
- Do NOT use more than the recommended dose, use for longer than prescribed, or use over a large area of the body without checking with your doctor.
- Serious side effects may occur if too much of Kenalog aerosol solution is absorbed through the skin. This may be more likely to occur if you use Kenalog aerosol solution over a large area of the body or for a prolonged period of time. It may also be more likely if you wrap or bandage the area after you apply Kenalog aerosol solution. The risk is greater in children. Do not use more than the prescribed dose. Contact your doctor right away if you develop unusual weight gain (especially in the face), muscle weakness, increased thirst or urination, confusion, unusual drowsiness, severe or persistent headache, fever, or vision changes. Discuss any questions or concerns with your doctor.
- If your symptoms do not get better within 2 weeks or if they get worse, check with your doctor.
- Talk with your doctor before you use any other medicines or cleansers on your skin.
- Do not use Kenalog aerosol solution for other skin conditions at a later time.
- Kenalog aerosol solution has a corticosteroid in it. Before you start any new medicine, check the label to see if it has a corticosteroid in it too. If it does or if you are not sure, check with your doctor or pharmacist.
- Kenalog aerosol solution is flammable. Do not apply near heat, an open flame, or while smoking.
- Corticosteroids may affect growth rate in CHILDREN and teenagers in some cases. They may need regular growth checks while they use Kenalog aerosol solution.
- Caution is advised when using Kenalog aerosol solution in CHILDREN; they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Kenalog aerosol solution while you are pregnant. It is not known if this medicine is found in breast milk after topical use. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Kenalog aerosol solution, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Kenalog aerosol solution:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Mild, temporary stinging.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); acne-like rash; excessive hair growth; impaired wound healing; inflamed hair follicles; inflammation around the mouth; itching, burning, dryness, redness, or swelling of the skin; symptoms of high blood sugar (eg, confusion; drowsiness; flushing; fruit-like breath odor; increased thirst, hunger, or urination; rapid breath); thinning, softening, or discoloration of the skin.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Kenalog aerosol solution may be harmful if swallowed.Proper storage of Kenalog aerosol solution:
Store Kenalog aerosol solution at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Store away from heat and direct sunlight. Do not puncture, break, or burn the canister even if it appears to be empty. Keep Kenalog aerosol solution out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Kenalog aerosol solution, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Kenalog aerosol solution is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Kenalog aerosol solution or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Kenalog aerosol solution. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Kenalog aerosol solution. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your health care provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Kenalog aerosol solution.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.