Generic Name: potassium gluconate (poe-TASS-ee-uhm GLOO-coe-nate)
Brand Name: Kaon
Kaon elixir is used for:
Treating or preventing low potassium blood levels when the amount of potassium in the diet is inadequate. Low potassium levels may also be caused by some diseases, severe or prolonged vomiting or diarrhea, or certain medicines (eg, diuretics). Symptoms of low potassium levels include weakness, fatigue, or weakening of reflexes.
Kaon elixir is an electrolyte that is needed for normal functioning of cells, nerve conduction, muscle contraction, kidney function, and acid-base balance.
Do NOT use Kaon elixir if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Kaon elixir
- you have high potassium levels
- you are taking a potassium-sparing diuretic (eg, triamterene)
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Kaon elixir:
Some medical conditions may interact with Kaon elixir. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have adrenal gland problems, kidney problems, severe burns, diarrhea, or a high acidity of your body fluids (acidosis)
- if you are dehydrated
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Kaon elixir. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitors (eg, enalapril), aldosterone blockers (eg, spironolactone), or potassium-sparing diuretics (eg, triamterene) because the actions and side effects of these medicines may be increased and elevated levels of potassium may occur
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Kaon elixir may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Kaon elixir:
Use Kaon elixir as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Kaon elixir may cause stomach upset. Take after meals or with food.
- Liquid must be diluted before using. The package label will advise the minimum amount (eg, 4 ounces) of cold water, juice, or other beverage to mix with the liquid. After thoroughly mixing, drink slowly over a 5- to 10-minute period.
- Do not lie down for 30 minutes after taking Kaon elixir.
- If you miss a dose of Kaon elixir, take it if you remember within 2 hours. If it is more than 2 hours since your missed dose, skip it and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Kaon elixir.
Important safety information:
- Too much or too little potassium can adversely affect the heart. Be sure that your doctor and pharmacist are aware of any heart medications you are taking.
- Do not use salt substitutes, except on the advice of a doctor.
- Some of these products may contain the dye tartrazine (FD&C Yellow No. 5), which can cause allergic reactions in certain individuals. Consult your doctor or pharmacist.
- LAB TESTS, including blood electrolytes, may be performed to monitor your progress or to check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, discuss with your doctor the benefits and risks of using Kaon elixir during pregnancy. It is unknown if Kaon elixir is excreted in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you are taking Kaon elixir, check with your doctor to discuss the benefits and risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Kaon elixir:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Abnormal skin sensation; confusion; diarrhea; listlessness; nausea; stomach discomfort; vomiting.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); abnormal heartbeat; black, tarry stools; heaviness in the legs; indigestion; severe vomiting; stomach pain; tingling in the hands and feet; unusual tiredness or weakness; vomit that looks like coffee grounds.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include blood in stools; irregular heartbeat; muscle weakness.Proper storage of Kaon elixir:
Store Kaon elixir at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C), in a tightly-closed container. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Kaon elixir out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Kaon elixir, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Kaon elixir is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Kaon elixir. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.