Generic Name: gotu kola (Not applicable.)
Brand Name: Generics only. No brands available.
Gotu kola is used for:
Improving memory and concentration; relieving stress, fatigue, and mental confusion; and improving venous insufficiency and other circulatory problems. It may have other uses as well. Check with your pharmacist for more details regarding the particular brand you use.
Gotu kola is an herbal product. It works by increasing mental activity.
Do NOT use gotu kola if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in gotu kola
- you are pregnant
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using gotu kola:
Some medical conditions may interact with gotu kola. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are planning to become pregnant or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have diabetes or a history of epilepsy
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with gotu kola. However, no specific interactions are known at this time.
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if gotu kola may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use gotu kola:
Use gotu kola as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Dosing depends on the use and the source of the product.
- Use as directed on the package, unless instructed otherwise by your doctor.
- If you miss taking a dose of gotu kola for 1 or more days, there is no cause for concern. If your doctor recommended that you take it, try to remember your dose every day.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use gotu kola.
Important safety information:
- Gotu kola may cause drowsiness. Do not drive, operate machinery, or do anything else that could be dangerous until you know how you react to this product. Using this product alone, with certain other medicines, or with alcohol may lessen your ability to drive or to perform other potentially dangerous tasks.
- Do not exceed the recommended dose or take this product for longer than 6 weeks without checking with your doctor.
- Gotu kola may cause increased sensitivity to the sun. Avoid exposure to the sun, sunlamps, or tanning booths until you know how you react to this herbal product. Use a sunscreen or protective clothing if you must be outside for a prolonged period.
- Use an additional form of birth control if you are using this product as an antifertility agent.
- This product has not been approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) as safe and effective for any medical condition. The long-term safety of herbal products is not known. Before using any alternative medicine, talk with your doctor or pharmacist.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: Do not use this product if you are pregnant. Do not breast-feed while taking this product.
Possible side effects of gotu kola:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue).
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include headache; loss of consciousness; stupor.Proper storage of gotu kola:
Store at room temperature away from heat, moisture, and light unless otherwise directed on the package label. Do not store in the bathroom. Most herbal products are not in childproof containers. Keep gotu kola out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about gotu kola, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Gotu kola is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take gotu kola or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about gotu kola. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to gotu kola. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using gotu kola.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.