Generic Name: stannous fluoride (STAN-us FLOOR-ide)
Brand Name: Examples include Gel-Kam and Perio Med
Gel-Kam rinse is used for:
Gel-Kam rinse is a fluoride rinse. It works by strengthening the teeth and decreasing the effects of acid and bacteria on the teeth.
Do NOT use Gel-Kam rinse if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Gel-Kam rinse
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Gel-Kam rinse:
Some medical conditions may interact with Gel-Kam rinse. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have joint pain or an ulcer
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Gel-Kam rinse. However, no specific interactions with Gel-Kam rinse are known at this time.
Ask your health care provider if Gel-Kam rinse may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Gel-Kam rinse:
Use Gel-Kam rinse as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Use Gel-Kam rinse after brushing your teeth, as directed by your doctor.
- Gel-Kam rinse must be mixed with water before you use it. To mix Gel-Kam rinse, pour it to the 1/8 fluid oz mark in the measuring cup provided. Add water to the 1 fluid oz mark and mix.
- Use Gel-Kam rinse immediately after mixing.
- Place half of the mixture into the mouth. Swish well for 1 minute, then spit. Repeat with the remaining mixture.
- Do not swallow Gel-Kam rinse.
- Do not eat or drink for 30 minutes after using Gel-Kam rinse.
- If you miss a dose of Gel-Kam rinse, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Gel-Kam rinse.
Important safety information:
- Do NOT use more than the recommended dose or more often than prescribed without checking with your dentist.
- Gel-Kam rinse may cause staining of the teeth. Proper brushing may prevent this. The staining is not harmful or permanent, and can be removed by your dentist. Tell your dentist if you notice tooth staining.
- Be sure to show CHILDREN how to use Gel-Kam rinse in order to decrease the chance of swallowing it.
- Check with your doctor before you use Gel-Kam rinse in CHILDREN younger than 12 years old.
- PREGNANCY AND BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Gel-Kam rinse while you are pregnant. It is not known if this medicine is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Gel-Kam rinse, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Gel-Kam rinse:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. When used in small doses, no COMMON side effects have been reported with Gel-Kam rinse. Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue).
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Gel-Kam rinse:
Store Gel-Kam rinse at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not freeze or expose to extreme heat. Keep tightly closed when not in use. Keep Gel-Kam rinse out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Gel-Kam rinse, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Gel-Kam rinse is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Gel-Kam rinse or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Gel-Kam rinse. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Gel-Kam rinse. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Gel-Kam rinse.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.