Gas-X Extra StrengthPronunciation
Generic Name: simethicone (sih-METH-ih-cone)
Brand Name: Examples include Gas-X Extra Strength and Mylanta Gas Relief Maximum Strength
Gas-X Extra Strength is used for:
Relieving pressure, bloating, and gas in the digestive tract. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Gas-X Extra Strength is an antiflatulent. It works by breaking up gas bubbles, which makes gas easier to eliminate.
Do NOT use Gas-X Extra Strength if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Gas-X Extra Strength
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Gas-X Extra Strength:
Some medical conditions may interact with Gas-X Extra Strength. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Gas-X Extra Strength. However, no specific interactions with Gas-X Extra Strength are known at this time.
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Gas-X Extra Strength may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Gas-X Extra Strength:
Use Gas-X Extra Strength as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take Gas-X Extra Strength as needed after meals and at bedtime, unless otherwise directed by your doctor.
- If you miss a dose of Gas-X Extra Strength and you are using it regularly, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Gas-X Extra Strength.
Important safety information:
- Do not exceed the recommended dose without checking with your doctor.
- If your condition persists, contact your health care provider.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant while taking Gas-X Extra Strength, discuss with your doctor the benefits and risks of using Gas-X Extra Strength during pregnancy. It is unknown if Gas-X Extra Strength is excreted in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you are taking Gas-X Extra Strength, check with your doctor or pharmacist to discuss the risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Gas-X Extra Strength:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. When used in small doses, no COMMON side effects have been reported with this product. Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue).
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Gas-X Extra Strength:
Store Gas-X Extra Strength at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Avoid temperatures above 104 degrees F (40 degrees C). Keep Gas-X Extra Strength out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Gas-X Extra Strength, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Gas-X Extra Strength is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Gas-X Extra Strength or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Gas-X Extra Strength. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Gas-X Extra Strength. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Gas-X Extra Strength.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about Gas-X (simethicone)
- Children's Gas-X Tongue Twisters strips
- Gas-X Extra Strength liquid
- Gas-X Infant Drops liquid drops
- Gas-X chewable tablets
- Gas-X (Advanced Reading)