Generic Name: vitamin b complex/vitamin c/folic acid/ (VYE-ta-min/FOE-lik AS-id/EYE-urn)
Brand Name: Examples include Foli-Iron and I-Fol Plus
Accidental overdose of products that contain iron is a leading cause of fatal poisoning in children younger than 6 years old. Keep this and all medicines out of the reach of children. In case of accidental ingestion, call the poison control center or a doctor at once.
Foli-Iron caplets are used for:
Preventing and treating low iron levels in the body. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Foli-Iron caplets are an iron, vitamin, and folic acid combination. It works by providing iron, vitamins, and folic acid to the body.
Do NOT use Foli-Iron caplets if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Foli-Iron caplets
- you have high levels of iron in the blood (eg, hemochromatosis, hemosiderosis)
- you have pernicious anemia
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Foli-Iron caplets:
Some medical conditions may interact with Foli-Iron caplets. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have any other type of anemia (eg, hemolytic anemia)
- if you have stomach or bowel problems (eg, Crohn disease, inflammation, ulcer), metabolism problems, the blood disease porphyria, or other blood problems (eg, thalassemia)
- if you have a bleeding problem, have had multiple blood transfusions, or are receiving dialysis
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Foli-Iron caplets. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Fluorouracil because the risk of its side effects may be increased by Foli-Iron caplets
- Doxycycline, hydantoins (eg, phenytoin), mycophenolate, penicillamine, or thyroid hormones (eg, levothyroxine) because their effectiveness may be decreased by Foli-Iron caplets
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Foli-Iron caplets may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Foli-Iron caplets:
Use Foli-Iron caplets as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take Foli-Iron caplets by mouth with or without food. If stomach upset occurs, take with food to reduce stomach irritation.
- If you also take bisphosphonates (eg, alendronate), cefdinir, methyldopa, a quinolone antibiotic (eg, ciprofloxacin), or a tetracycline antibiotic (eg, minocycline), ask your doctor or pharmacist how to take it with Foli-Iron caplets.
- If you miss a dose of Foli-Iron caplets, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Foli-Iron caplets.
Important safety information:
- Do not take more than the recommended dose without checking with your doctor.
- Do not take large doses of vitamins (megadoses or megavitamin therapy) while you use Foli-Iron caplets unless your doctor tells you to.
- Foli-Iron caplets has pyridoxine (vitamin B6), folic acid, and iron in it. Before you start any new medicine, check the label to see if it also has pyridoxine, folic acid, or iron in it too. If it does or if you are not sure, check with your doctor or pharmacist.
- Foli-Iron caplets may interfere with certain lab tests, such as tests used to check for blood in the stool. Be sure your doctor and lab personnel know you are taking Foli-Iron caplets.
- Foli-Iron caplets should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN; safety and effectiveness in children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Foli-Iron caplets while you are pregnant. Foli-Iron caplets are found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Foli-Iron caplets, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Foli-Iron caplets:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Constipation; dark or green stools; diarrhea; nausea; stomach pain; vomiting.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); black, tarry, or bloody stools; severe or persistent stomach pain.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions or need medical advice about side effects, contact your doctor or health care provider. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088) or at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include black, tarry, or bloody stools; blue or unusually pale skin; drowsiness or dizziness; fast heartbeat; increased thirst or urination; seizures; severe or persistent nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, or stomach pain; sluggishness; vomiting blood; weakness.Proper storage of Foli-Iron caplets:
Store Foli-Iron caplets at 77 degrees F (25 degrees C). Brief storage at temperatures between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C) is permitted. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Foli-Iron caplets out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Foli-Iron caplets, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Foli-Iron caplets are to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Foli-Iron caplets or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Foli-Iron caplets. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Foli-Iron caplets. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Foli-Iron caplets.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about multivitamin with iron
- Cyanocobalamin/folic acid/iron/vitamin c
- Cyanocobalamin/vitamin c/folic acid/iron
- Ferrous fumarate/polysaccharide iron complex/folic acid/vitamin b complex/vitamin c/biotin
- Ferrous fumarate/vitamin c/vitamin b12
- Folic acid/iron/vitamin c
- More (12) »
- Polysaccharide-Iron Complex and Folic Acid (Wolters Kluwer)
- Polysaccharide-Iron Complex, Vitamin B12, and Folic Acid (Wolters Kluwer)