Generic Name: salicylic acid (sal-ih-SILL-ik AS-id)
Brand Name: Examples include Duoplant and Sal-Plant
Duoplant gel is used for:
Removing common warts and warts on the bottom of the foot (plantar warts). It may also be used for other skin conditions as determined by your doctor.
Duoplant gel is a topical salicylate. It works by causing the skin to swell, soften, and then slough or peel in areas where it is applied.
Do NOT use Duoplant gel if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Duoplant gel
- you have diabetes or poor blood circulation
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Duoplant gel:
Some medical conditions may interact with Duoplant gel. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have had a severe allergic reaction (eg, severe rash, hives, difficulty breathing, dizziness) to aspirin or a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) (eg, ibuprofen, naproxen, celecoxib)
- if you have liver or kidney problems, a skin infection, or skin irritation
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Duoplant gel. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Anticoagulants, (eg, heparin, warfarin), aspirin, methotrexate, or sulfonylureas (eg, glipizide) because the risk of side effects may be increased by Duoplant gel
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Duoplant gel may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Duoplant gel:
Use Duoplant gel as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- First soak the wart in warm water for about 5 minutes. Dry thoroughly. Apply 1 drop at a time to sufficiently cover each wart. Let dry.
- Cover the area with a small adhesive bandage or dressing (if practical) unless your doctor has instructed you not to. Unless your hands are being treated, be sure to wash your hands after each application.
- If you miss a dose of Duoplant gel, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Duoplant gel.
Important safety information:
- Certain acne products that contain benzoyl peroxide or salicylic acid can rarely cause serious and sometimes life-threatening allergic reactions or severe irritation. Before first use, you may need to follow certain steps to make sure you do not have an allergic reaction. Use Duoplant gel as you were told by your doctor or read the package label. Discuss any questions or concerns with your doctor.
- Duoplant gel is for external use only. Avoid getting Duoplant gel in your eyes, nose, or mouth, or on the genitals. If contact with your eyes occurs, flush with water for 15 minutes. Do not inhale the vapors of Duoplant gel.
- Do not use Duoplant gel longer or more often than recommended by your doctor or on the package label.
- Check with your doctor before use if you have a condition that covers a large area of the body.
- Be sure to apply Duoplant gel only to the affected area and not to normal healthy skin.
- Do not use Duoplant gel on skin that is irritated, infected, or reddened.
- Do not use Duoplant gel on open skin wounds, moles, birthmarks, genital warts, warts on the face, or warts growing hair.
- Do not use any other medicines or drying products on your skin unless your doctor instructs you otherwise.
- Duoplant gel may interfere with certain lab test results. Make sure your doctor and lab personnel know you are using Duoplant gel.
- Duoplant gel is extremely flammable. Do not store or use Duoplant gel near a fire or other open flame.
- Duoplant gel may be harmful if swallowed. If you may have taken Duoplant gel by mouth, contact your local poison control center or emergency room immediately.
- Duoplant gel contains a salicylate, which has been linked to Reye syndrome. Do not use Duoplant gel on children or teenagers during or after chickenpox, flu, or other viral infections without checking with your doctor or pharmacist.
- Caution is advised when using Duoplant gel in CHILDREN because they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, discuss with your doctor the benefits and risks of using Duoplant gel during pregnancy. It is unknown if Duoplant gel is excreted in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you are using Duoplant gel, check with your doctor or pharmacist to discuss the risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Duoplant gel:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Dry, peeling, red, or scaling skin.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); severe irritation.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include agitation; diarrhea; dizziness; loss of appetite; loss of hearing; mental disturbances; nausea; rapid or difficult breathing; ringing in the ears; seizures; sluggishness; vomiting; yellowing of the skin or eyes.Proper storage of Duoplant gel:
Store Duoplant gel at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not freeze. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Duoplant gel out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Duoplant gel, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Duoplant gel is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Duoplant gel or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Duoplant gel. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Duoplant gel. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your health care provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Duoplant gel.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about Duoplant (salicylic acid topical)
- Other brands: Dermarest Psoriasis Skin Treatment, Compound W, Salex, Stridex Maximum Strength, More (51) »