Generic Name: isosorbide dinitrate extended-release (eye-soe-SOR-bide dye-NYE-trate)
Brand Name: Dilatrate-SR
Dilatrate-SR is used for:
Preventing symptoms of angina (chest pain) caused by heart disease. Dilatrate-SR is used alone or with other medicines. Dilatrate-SR is NOT intended for the immediate relief of acute attacks of angina. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Dilatrate-SR is a nitrate. It works by relaxing the blood vessels in the body, allowing them to widen. This lets more blood flow through the blood vessels, which reduces the work the heart has to do to pump blood. This reduces the oxygen needs of the heart and makes chest pain go away.
Do NOT use Dilatrate-SR if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Dilatrate-SR
- you are taking a phosphodiesterase type 5 inhibitor (eg, sildenafil), a medicine often used for sexual dysfunction
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Dilatrate-SR:
Some medical conditions may interact with Dilatrate-SR. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have bleeding in the brain, a recent head trauma, a heart attack, an overactive thyroid, or anemia (a low red blood cell count)
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Dilatrate-SR. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Ethanol or phosphodiesterase type 5 inhibitors (eg, sildenafil) because side effects such as extremely low blood pressure, dizziness, or fainting may occur
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Dilatrate-SR may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Dilatrate-SR:
Use Dilatrate-SR as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take Dilatrate-SR by mouth on an empty stomach with a full glass of water (8 oz/240 mL).
- Swallow Dilatrate-SR whole. Do not break, crush, or chew before swallowing.
- If you miss a dose of Dilatrate-SR, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Dilatrate-SR.
Important safety information:
- Dilatrate-SR may cause dizziness. This effect may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use Dilatrate-SR with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Dilatrate-SR may cause dizziness or lightheadedness; alcohol, hot weather, exercise, or fever may increase these effects. To prevent them, sit up or stand slowly, especially in the morning. Sit or lie down at the first sign of any of these effects.
- When you begin taking Dilatrate-SR, it may give you a headache. This usually becomes less noticeable with time. This is a sign that the medicine is working. Do not change your dosing schedule to avoid headaches. Take aspirin or acetaminophen with Dilatrate-SR to avoid headaches.
- Dilatrate-SR should not be used in CHILDREN; safety and effectiveness in children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Dilatrate-SR while you are pregnant. It is not known if Dilatrate-SR is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Dilatrate-SR, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
When used for long periods of time or at high doses, Dilatrate-SR may not work as well and may require higher doses to obtain the same effect as when originally taken. This is known as TOLERANCE. Talk with your doctor if Dilatrate-SR stops working well. Do not take more than prescribed. Some people who use Dilatrate-SR for a long time may develop a need to continue taking it. People who take high doses are also at risk. This is known as physical DEPENDENCE. If you stop taking Dilatrate-SR suddenly, you may have WITHDRAWAL symptoms. These may include rapid heartbeat, chest pain, and even heart attack.
Possible side effects of Dilatrate-SR:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Dizziness; flushing of the face and neck; headache; lightheadedness; nausea; vomiting.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); fainting; frequent or continuing chest pain; rapid heartbeat.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include confusion; diarrhea; difficulty breathing; dizziness; headache; irregular and/or forceful heartbeat; loss of consciousness; nausea; seizures; slow pulse; stomach pain; sweating; vision problems; vomiting.Proper storage of Dilatrate-SR:
Store Dilatrate-SR at room temperature between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Dilatrate-SR out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Dilatrate-SR, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Dilatrate-SR is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Dilatrate-SR or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Dilatrate-SR. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Dilatrate-SR. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Dilatrate-SR.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.