Generic Name: multivitamins with minerals (MUL-ti-VYE-ta-mins/MIN-er-als)
Brand Name: Examples include Centrum and Formula B Plus
Centrum is used for:
Treating or preventing low levels of vitamins and minerals in the body. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Centrum is a vitamin and mineral supplement. It works by providing extra vitamins and minerals to the body when you do not get enough from your diet.
Do NOT use Centrum if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Centrum
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if this applies to you.
Before using Centrum:
Some medical conditions may interact with Centrum. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have anemia, liver problems, or metabolism problems
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Centrum. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Acitretin or anticoagulants (eg, warfarin) because the risk of their side effects may be increased by Centrum
- Levodopa or penicillamine because their effectiveness may be decreased by Centrum
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Centrum may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Centrum:
Use Centrum as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take Centrum by mouth with or without food.
- If you are also taking a bisphosphonate (eg, alendronate), take Centrum at least 2 hours after you take the bisphosphonate.
- If you are also taking a quinolone antibiotic (eg, ciprofloxacin) or tetracycline antibiotic (eg, minocycline), ask your doctor or pharmacist how to take them with Centrum.
- If you miss a dose of Centrum for 1 or more days, there is no cause for concern. If your doctor recommends that you take it, try to remember your dose every day.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Centrum.
Important safety information:
- Do not take large doses of vitamins while you use Centrum unless your doctor tells you to.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Centrum while you are pregnant. It is not known if Centrum is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Centrum, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Centrum:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. No COMMON side effects have been reported with this product. Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue).
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Centrum:
Store Centrum at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Centrum out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Centrum, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Centrum is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Centrum or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Centrum. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Centrum. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Centrum.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.