CalciFolic-D chewable wafers
Generic Name: calcium carbonate/vitamin d/vitamin b6/vitamin b12/folic acid (KAL-see-um KAR-bo-nate/VYE-ta-min D/VYE-ta-min B/FOE-lik AS-id)
Brand Name: Examples include CalciFolic-D and Recal D
Keep CalciFolic-D chewable wafers out of the reach of children.
CalciFolic-D chewable wafers are used for:
Treating or preventing calcium deficiency, bone weakness, and osteoporosis in certain patients. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
CalciFolic-D chewable wafers are a dietary supplement. It works by providing extra calcium, certain vitamins, folic acid, and minerals to your body.
Do NOT use CalciFolic-D chewable wafers if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in CalciFolic-D chewable wafers
- you have high blood calcium levels or pernicious anemia
- if you take levodopa or mycophenolate
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using CalciFolic-D chewable wafers:
Some medical conditions may interact with CalciFolic-D chewable wafers. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you are dehydrated or have anemia, low vitamin B12 levels, or high blood phosphate levels
- if you have heart problems, hardening of the arteries, kidney problems, or kidney stones
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with CalciFolic-D chewable wafers. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Carbamazepine, hydantoins (eg, phenytoin), levodopa, mycophenolate, penicillamine, phenobarbital, or valproic acid because their effectiveness may be decreased by CalciFolic-D chewable wafers
- Fluorouracil or oral anticoagulants (eg, dicumarol) because the risk of their side effects may be increased by CalciFolic-D chewable wafers
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if CalciFolic-D chewable wafers may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use CalciFolic-D chewable wafers:
Use CalciFolic-D chewable wafers as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take CalciFolic-D chewable wafers by mouth with or without food.
- Chew CalciFolic-D chewable wafers well before you swallow it.
- Take CalciFolic-D chewable wafers with a full glass of water (8 oz/240 mL).
- If you take an azole antifungal (eg, ketoconazole), a bisphosphonate (eg, alendronate), a cation exchange resin (eg, sodium polystyrene sulfonate), certain cephalosporins (eg, cefdinir), dabigatran, eltrombopag, penicillamine, a quinolone antibiotic (eg, ciprofloxacin), a tetracycline antibiotic (eg, doxycycline), or a thyroid hormone (eg, levothyroxine), ask your doctor or pharmacist how to take them with CalciFolic-D chewable wafers.
- If you miss a dose of CalciFolic-D chewable wafers, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use CalciFolic-D chewable wafers.
Important safety information:
- Do not take large doses of vitamins while you use CalciFolic-D chewable wafers unless your doctor tells you to.
- Before you start any new medicine, check the label to see if it has any of the same ingredients that are found in CalciFolic-D chewable wafers. If it does or if you are not sure, check with your doctor or pharmacist.
- CalciFolic-D chewable wafers should not be used in CHILDREN; safety and effectiveness in children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using CalciFolic-D chewable wafers while you are pregnant. It is not known if this medicine is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use CalciFolic-D chewable wafers, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of CalciFolic-D chewable wafers:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. No COMMON side effects have been reported with CalciFolic-D chewable wafers. Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue).
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of CalciFolic-D chewable wafers:
Store CalciFolic-D chewable wafers at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep CalciFolic-D chewable wafers out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about CalciFolic-D chewable wafers, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- CalciFolic-D chewable wafers are to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take CalciFolic-D chewable wafers or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about CalciFolic-D chewable wafers. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to CalciFolic-D chewable wafers. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using CalciFolic-D chewable wafers.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.