Bacitracin/ neomycin/ polymyxin/ pramoxine ointment
Generic Name: bacitracin/neomycin/polymyxin/pramoxine (BAS-i-TRAY-sin/NEE-oh-MYE-sin/POL-ee-MIX-in/pra-MOX-een)
Brand Name: Generic only. No brands available.
Bacitracin/ neomycin/ polymyxin/ pramoxine ointment is used for:
Treating minor cuts, scrapes, and burns.
Bacitracin/neomycin/polymyxin/pramoxine ointment is an antibiotic and analgesic combination. It works by killing sensitive bacteria and reducing pain.
Do NOT use bacitracin/ neomycin/ polymyxin/ pramoxine ointment if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in bacitracin/neomycin/polymyxin/pramoxine ointment
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using bacitracin/ neomycin/ polymyxin/ pramoxine ointment:
Some medical conditions may interact with bacitracin/neomycin/polymyxin/pramoxine ointment. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have deep or puncture wounds, animal bites, or serious burns
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with bacitracin/neomycin/polymyxin/pramoxine ointment. Because little, if any, of bacitracin/neomycin/polymyxin/pramoxine ointment is absorbed into the blood, the risk of it interacting with another medicine is low.
Ask your health care provider if bacitracin/neomycin/polymyxin/pramoxine ointment may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use bacitracin/ neomycin/ polymyxin/ pramoxine ointment:
Use bacitracin/neomycin/polymyxin/pramoxine ointment as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Wash your hands before using bacitracin/neomycin/polymyxin/pramoxine ointment.
- Gently wash the affected area. Allow it to dry before applying bacitracin/neomycin/polymyxin/pramoxine ointment.
- Apply a small amount of medicine to the affected area. Cover with a sterile bandage if needed.
- Wash your hands immediately after using bacitracin/neomycin/polymyxin/pramoxine ointment, unless your hands are part of the treated area.
- If you miss a dose of bacitracin/neomycin/polymyxin/pramoxine ointment, use it as soon as you remember. Continue to use it as directed by your doctor or on the package label.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use bacitracin/neomycin/polymyxin/pramoxine ointment.
Important safety information:
- Bacitracin/neomycin/polymyxin/pramoxine ointment is for external use only. Do not get it in your eyes or on the inside of your nose or mouth. If you get it in any of these areas, rinse them immediately with cool tap water.
- Do NOT use more than the recommended dose or for longer than 1 week without checking with your doctor.
- If your symptoms do not get better within 7 days or if they get worse, check with your doctor.
- Do not use bacitracin/neomycin/polymyxin/pramoxine ointment over large areas of the body without checking with your doctor.
- Bacitracin/neomycin/polymyxin/pramoxine ointment should not be used in CHILDREN younger than 2 years old without first checking with the child's doctor; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using bacitracin/neomycin/polymyxin/pramoxine ointment while you are pregnant. It is not known if this medicine is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use bacitracin/neomycin/polymyxin/pramoxine ointment, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of bacitracin/ neomycin/ polymyxin/ pramoxine ointment:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. No COMMON side effects have been reported with this product. Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); excessive burning, itching, or irritation of the skin.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Bacitracin/neomycin/polymyxin/pramoxine ointment may be harmful if swallowed.Proper storage of bacitracin/neomycin/polymyxin/pramoxine ointment:
Store bacitracin/neomycin/polymyxin/pramoxine ointment at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Keep bacitracin/neomycin/polymyxin/pramoxine ointment out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about bacitracin/neomycin/polymyxin/pramoxine ointment, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Bacitracin/neomycin/polymyxin/pramoxine ointment is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take bacitracin/neomycin/polymyxin/pramoxine ointment or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about bacitracin/neomycin/polymyxin/pramoxine ointment. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to bacitracin/neomycin/polymyxin/pramoxine ointment. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using bacitracin/neomycin/polymyxin/pramoxine ointment.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.