What is the difference between Claritin and Sudafed?

Claritin (loratadine) is an antihistamine that reduces the effect of the natural chemical histamine in the body. Histamine can produce symptoms of sneezing, itching, watery eyes, and runny nose.

Claritin is used to treat the symptoms of seasonal allergies, such as sneezing, watery eyes, and runny nose and itching of the nose and throat. Claritin is also used to treat skin hives and itching in people with chronic skin reactions.

Sudafed (pseudoephedrine) is a decongestant that shrinks blood vessels in the nasal passages. Dilated blood vessels can cause nasal congestion (stuffy nose).

Pseudoephedrine is used to treat nasal and sinus congestion, or congestion of the tubes that drain fluid from your inner ears, called the eustachian tubes.

http://www.drugs.com/claritin.html

http://www.drugs.com/mtm/sudafed-12-hour.html

Claritin is a drug that can be used to treat a variety of allergy symptoms, including runny, itchy nose; sneezing; and watery eyes. It works by blocking the action of histamine receptors in the body, which prevents the immune system reactions that cause allergy symptoms. Claritin is now available without a prescription, and it comes in several forms. Side effects can include headaches, drowsiness, and dry mouth.

Sudafed is a decongestant medication that is available over the counter. It works to relieve nasal and sinus congestion by stimulating certain receptors known as alpha-adrenergic receptors in the lining of the nose and sinuses. The medication comes in the form of immediate-release tablets, extended-release tablets, and a liquid. While most people tolerate it well, potential side effects include insomnia, rapid heart rate, and nervousness.

Take care, best wishes!