What do they do if you go to the ER for severe depression?

They have someone on staff access you, if they feel you need to be hospitalized you will be admitted. (also when you go to the ER for depression you usually don't wait a long period of time, they will take care of you as soon as possible.

smileyhappy 6 Nov 2010

I had to go 3 years ago and was admited. I had gone to see a psychiatric weeks earlier because I was suicidal and prescribe me seroquel wich I did not react to well. I became psychoic. They took me in the er admiting area until the staff was open in the psych ward. I'm glad I went. I went through hell but in the end I have the proper drugs and am doing great. This was my 3 depression. After the 3 time you need to take meds for the rest of your life. I was totally against meds but now am gratefull.

I did this once. Bascially they asked me questions, mainly if I was sucidal or wanted to harm someone else, I said no that I was sad and hopeless. They gave me some ativan. Took some blood and that was it. They would only admit me if I had said I wanted to kill myself or someone else.

It depends on which hospital you go to most will have a mental health counselor evaluate you and see if you need inpatient care if not they will give you a referral to a mental health provider for further treatment. If you are suicidal they will probably have someone sit with you until you can be seen by the mental health provider sometimes it is a security person or sometimes an aide depending on severe the depression and suicidal thoughts are. If you are depressed please seek out help for yourself and let me know how you make out. This is a good site for some support as well but if you are severely depressed you may need some meds and professional counseling and then you can come back here for reinforcement and support. Good luck my dear and hope you are well soon, marjorie zych

Jt6577 1 Nov 2010

Thanks for the feedback. Im definitely very depressed, im on cymbalta and I been on several antidepressants for years. I lost my older sister this time last year unexpectedly and since then ive pretty much isolated myself from mostly everyone. I dont know if im grieving or depressed butim very lost. As for motivation to get help, im in need of it.

UNLVGRAD 1 Nov 2010

Are you seeing a counselor?

I work at a psych hospital that is partnered with a medical hospital. Be as honest as possible with the assessment nurse so you can get the help you need. Be aware though that if the assessment nurse thinks you need to be hospitalized they can have you admitted (either voluntarily or involuntarily). He/she has to protect themself as well as you. If they admit you involuntarily, they will get an emergency detention on you that is usually good for 48 hours in order to make you go into the hospital. I'm not trying to scare you or give you second thoughts; I only want you to know how this works. Most people think they can go in, get some meds, and go home and they become angry when they are admitted. Hope this helps.

Jt6577 1 Nov 2010

Admit me, im fine with that. Im just trying to weigh my options. Im not suicidal but I need to do something and I appreciate your feedback. Im really at a loss as to what to do.

UNLVGRAD 2 Nov 2010

Well go get checked out. Be honest and tell them you want and need intense services. Hang in there :)

So sorry to hear you are that depressed. I have been admitted 10 times in ten years. In my city, Pittsburgh you have to say you will hurt yourself or someone else if you don't receive care. I always said if it wasn't for my children I would kill myself. Please if you feel bad enough to go to the ER you do need impatient treatment. God Bless and Good Luck. Sable