Vancomycin - does vancoymcin treat mrsa?

Since MRSA is a multi resistant staph infection. Most people have not become immune to this antibiotic so this is why it is widely uses.

"Vancomycin has been the treatment of choice for methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) infections. This agent, however, requires intravenous (IV) administration, and occasionally patients experience unacceptable side effects. "

http://infectious-diseases.jwatch.org/cgi/content/full/2002/621/1

Hope you rid of this infection soon

rockygurl2 31 Oct 2009

After being diagnosed with MRSA in 2002 via blood cultures, I have been on IV Vancomycin ever since. It is pretty much the standard for treating it, however, more and more people, including myself are becoming Vancomycin Resistant. It used to take ten days to knock out my infections caused by my RSD/CRPS, which is an autoimmune pain syndrome. Since we all have Staph on our skin all I have to do is scratch myself, and I am back on the Vanco. Hate it. Causes "Red Man Syndrome" and I glow all over and have to take IV Benadryl to knock out the redness. After about three days I have a good Benadryl level built up and the redness stops, but the itching doesn't. Due to being put on so many antibiotics when they first started invasive procedures to halt the spread of my RSD, my body finally said no more to even Ampicillin about four years ago, although when I had a cultured Sraph infection before the MRSA reared it's ugly head, I was put on IV Vancomycin.

ecm031567 1 Nov 2009

Everytime my father's mrsa was active, they gave him vancomycin so I would say that yes it does treat it.