Tussigon - is this a common drug given to dogs for a cough>?

I don't know if it's commonly prescribed, but my 15 year old chihuahua mix is on it to help with his chronic coughing due to a collapsing trachea. I give it to him every 8 hours but it seems to wear off closer to 6.

vickishelby 5 Jun 2010

today my vet prescribed tussigon to my 13-year-old chihuahua for her frequent coughing spells due to enlarged heart pressing on trachea(also starting to collapse) - I've given her two doses so far and I don't see much improvement - it's time for her third dose, will that be the charm? Does it take a few doses to start working?

Carole Ann 12 Mar 2011

Hello Vickishelby, my poodle has Congestive Heart Failure and was coughing with every move he made. His Vet prescribed Tussigon, 5mg tablets to be quartered and given 3x per day. The first time I gave it to him it sedated him more than I liked. The vet then said to cut the quarter in half which I did and I've only had to give him total 3 pills in the past week. This is working amazingly well for him. The effect from the pill seems to last for a long time without him being so sedated (after getting the right dose) and he, Scooter, and his Mommy and Daddy are very happy that he isn't having to endure that horrible cough which is from his enlarged heart pressing on the airways. I call it almost a miracle pill, the Vet calls Scooter the miracle dog as he has just adapted to this condition really well and although he is severely ill Scooter shows us no signs that he's ready to give up and neither are we. To give you an idea of what his meds are like...