Does Tramadol work for migraine headaches?

I can't see it helping since it doesn't work well if only taken as needed. I have found over 10 yrs of taking it that you have to take it on a regular basis for it to help. It might be worth a try tho.

It helped me, even on an as needed basis. But before that I had to take it daily for my migraines. But that just promotes rebound migraines since when you take any pain reliever more than 2 or 3 days a week you risk the rebound migraines. I was so glad to instead get nerve block, trigger point and Botox injections which has meant most days I have mild headaches if I don't do very much. I have a particularly difficult case since my migraines were caused by my stroke. Of course if you have a lot of migraines each month, then you are best to try the daily preventative migraine medications.

Delila 4 Oct 2013

Hi Sara! Just wanted to add a comment to your response, Tramadol is designed to be taken daily as a preventative measure, to control pain. It isn't one of those medications that cause adverse effects if taken more than a few days a week. I hope you don't mind me adding that

sara12345 5 Oct 2013

Thanks Delia. I didn't realize that about Tramadol.

Hi, if you are taking it in a regular basis, then yes it can help. I was taking it long term for a back injury, i also get migraines, and i did find that they were much less severe