Tramadol - what drug class?

Tramadol is not currently controlled under the Controlled Substances Act (CSA). Arkansas and Kentucky have designated tramadol as a schedule IV drug under state law. Louisiana passed legislation that identifies tramadol as a drug of abuse; demonstrating potential for abuse. It is classified as a central nervous system drug. I hope this answers your question.

Nstrasser 23 Mar 2014

Helpful and relieves my concern regarding the strict guidelines pharmacists are following in spite of doctor prescriptions and intervention. Pharmacists won't even order some Class II drugs. I am concerned regarding comments about how easily it is to become addicted to Tramadol. Do you have any other information about this?

Anonymous

Tramadol is a narcotic-like pain reliever, it belongs to the drug class of miscellaneous analgesics.-

http://www.drugs.com/tramadol.html

Take care,

maso.-

Anonymous 4 Mar 2012

Agreed with the statment, but it is when mixed with your body chemicals becomes an opiad, & is very addictive & possess SNRI qualities too. Tread very lightley if thinking of using this drug... Mary
http://www.drugs.com/monograph/tramadol-hydrochloride.html

Do not take this drug. very addictive I would know from experience

Anonymous

I wonder if the "addictive quality" referred to is more about the relief from pain and wanting it to continue rather than the drug itself? just wondering? any other thoughts on this?

Delila 8 Mar 2012

Hi, a valid thought. I can't answer for other's, but i take Tramadol because of how it makes me feel with regard to my mood. I was prescribed it initially for a back injury, but i continue to take it even though i'm pain free most days now.

Anonymous 8 Mar 2012

Hi MsSophia, I must agree with Delila. Most people start this med for pain, but it is an SNRI, serotonin, norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor qualities make it very very hard to stop. I've seen too many posts from people trying to get off this medication, and most go through opiate withdrawals and end up quite depressed after cessation.
That's just my opinion of course,
Best wishes
sweet lemon