What is tramadol made up of? Narcotic and analgesic alike?

Tramadol hydrochloride is a centrally acting synthetic analgesic.
The chemical name is (±) cis-2-[(dimethylamino)methyl]­-1-(3-methoxyphenyl) cyclohexanol hydrochloride.
Tramadol is not considered a narcotic although it is similar to morphine and there have been reports of dependence and addiction.

Ultram / Tramadol is an Opioid as it hits on the Opioid sensors. It is a completely synthetic opiate in the same class as is methadone, however it is actually an SNRI that acts much much quicker than the other SNRI drugs, and obviously is the only one that acts in the way that it does. The pain killing effects are really quite low, generally considered to be equal to codeine, although it's actually a tad less strong. Tramadol is one of the very few Opioids that actually work on nerve pain making it a medication that is often tried for treating fibromyalgia (Methadone also works on nerve pain, but is much much much stronger).