Neurontin - how long does it take for the meds to work and make to pain go away?

This is a med when used for pain is often used for nerve pain and may take a few days to kick in. That said. pain meds are not designed nor intended to make pain "go away rather to "help" us deal with (or manage) it better. Hope this helps.

I have been on this med for 10 years it takes about 5-7 days for the med to get into your system to help you. It will only help your nerve pain that is all it will do it will not work on any other pain.

This drug was not intentened for this use it came out as a drug for spastic reaction but it did not work for it's intended use it turned out to be a excellent pain reliver for nerve damage.

Neurontin can make pain go away. I have RSD- I had nerve blocks-stellate ganglion- Several of the fingers on my right hand were black and flopped around. I was ready to commit suicide when my doctors sent me to a good pain clinic. I couldn't sleep for more than a few hours, etc. I'm saying this to show that I had visible physical results from the RSD. Pure Codiene, etc didn't give any relief. My body was able to regenerate after the nerve blocks. I had an accident, and the RSD flared up with pain and loss of fine motor control. I was immediately sent to the VA pain clinic, where they put me on Neutrontin to reduce pain until they had an opening for a nerve block. The pain was reduced by 2 weeks-the pain was gone in about 4-after I saw the pain doctors-we reduced the dosage, and I stopped taking it. A few years later, i had another accident.

Anonymous

Hopefully for you, by now the neurontin is working. That being said, it doesn't work for everybody. some people love it, and some people hate it. The side effects can be debilitating, so if the medication is not working for you, I suggest that you contact your doctor, and let them know. I happen to have loved neurontin, EXCEPT that I gained 80 lbs of fluid without realizing that I wasn't over eating as my doctors kept telling me!! I wish that I could continue taking the med at the dose that I was taking it, but I can only take 300mg once a day now at night to help me get out of bed in the AM.

There are plenty of other pain meds in the same category as neurontin, and you do have other options. So DON'T keep taking a med that is not working. Contact your doctor, and try another.

Best of luck to you, and I hope that you find your answers!!

Anonymous

Dear Cheryl:

I just started taking Neurotin a week ago, I worry about the weight gain because I gained 30 lbs with the Lyrica. I'm hoping with the Neurotin doesn't have that affect. I'm desparate in losing weight, not to mention to control this pain of fibromyalgia... it is very painful.

I hope Neurotin helps with the pain.
-Abby

Anonymous 15 Jul 2012

Different meds affect people differently. Just because you gained weight on Lyrica, doesn't mean that will happen with gabapentin. How are you feeling, since you posted this over a week ago??

Anonymous 17 Jul 2012

I'm doing pretty good with the fibromyalgia pain Neurotin seems to work. I'm on 300 mg 3 x a day. I haven't been having those pins-in-needles pain... that is great! About time. Don't get me wrong Lyrica is a good drug, it does work it is just that it lost its effectiveness, and needed something else for the fibro pain.

You're right everybody is different, I agreech of own. Today is a new day.

-Abby

It takes about a week for gabapentin to start reducing nerve pain, and two weeks for it to take full effect.

Source: Gabapentin for the Symptomatic Treatment of Painful Neuropathy in Patients With Diabetes Mellitus A Randomized Controlled Trial, Backonja et al. (1998).

I am a 38 year old woman that just found out that she is diagnosed with lumbar spondylosis also a bulging disc also I have poly neuropathy all over my body and I've got a deteriorating disc disease along with osteoporosis I've got one hip that's higher than the other and I also have scoliosis and I just got this medicine gabapentin 300 milligrams once a day at bedtime but the problem is with that is that I've got to take it sooner then bedtime because of my flare ups that I have so much and then on top of that it has been a blessing I mean a a blessing gabapentin has changed my life and I want to thank the big man upstairs for what he has done to give these doctors the knowledge to figure out ways to help someone right now because right now I have been dealing with this pain for 15 years did not have any insurance whatsoever so when I finally got insurance then I went and found out what everything was wrong with me and it was too late so if I fall break it or ...