Do medications ending in sulfate have sulpha in them? I am highly allergic to sulpha drugs?

Anonymous

I would say yes, as the definition of sulfate according to Drugs.com is:

"A salt or ester of sulfuric acid."

Take care,

masso.-

Sulfa is short for sulfonomides which is a kind of antibiotic. Sulfonomides are not chemically related to sulpher or sulpher salts i.e. sulfates, sulfites-these dont not cause the same allergic reaction that you see with sulfonomide antibiotics.

You should be careful with both kinds of drugs however as you can be allergic to both as I am. I get the same allergic reaction to both.

Allergy to sulfa drugs is a popular term for related medications. Once allergic: sulfites, nickel and even tea laurel sulfate (found in soaps, shampoos, etc.), can cause irritation or an allergic response. I have this allergy and over the years I have become quite allergic and have had to change shampoo, body wash, soap and so forth. No plated metals due to blistering. Also, they used to have a product that was used in salads to keep the lettuce fresh and it was widely used in restaurants. I would become ill with shooting diarrhea. A national law was passed during the 90's to no longer use this product because of the large number of people becoming ill.

Therefore, I suggest that anyone with an allergy to a sulfa medication, will find themselves allergic to the items above. Shampoo is the best to change out as I had thought I had itchy scalp and dandruff but it disappeared after buying sulfate free products.

Sulphur is the chemical on the periodic table. It is in all living creatures.