Is symbicort the same as advair which is better?

Symbicort and Advair HFA are similar in that they both contain a steroid and a bronchodilator.

Symbicort contains a combination of budesonide and formoterol. Budesonide is a steroid that reduces inflammation in the body. Formoterol is a bronchodilator that relaxes muscles in the airways to improve breathing.

Advair contains fluticasone and salmeterol. Fluticasone is a steroid. It prevents the release of substances in the body that cause inflammation. Salmeterol is a bronchodilator. It works by relaxing muscles in the airways to improve breathing.

Symbicort and Advair should work the same, but as the active ingredients are different some people may find that one works better for them then the other.