I have lower back pain, can I use lidoderm patch?

You sure can :) It doesn't work for everybody I guess, but I wear one practically every day and they make such a difference. I hope they work for you!

christineATU 23 Sep 2010

So I guess if my low back is totally numb, they wouldn't work for me? I know it's a topical kind of menthol patch, but it works mostly on the surface?

StephanieAlice 23 Sep 2010

I use the patches for pinched nerves and it does a great job. What kind of pain would you say you are having? Lidoderm (Lidocaine) is like Novacaine when you go to the dentist... it numbs the nerves that would normally cause pain while getting dental work. Lidocaine is similar, but obviously not for the mouth lol . Have you tried one yet?

I have RSD; a disease with chronic nerve pain that hurts to the bone which is in my hip/back area also. I love Lidoderm patches. I used to get them and only due to the cost of them when I'm in the donut hole/gap on Medicare Part D I can't afford them so I only get them for the 1st 4 months of the year and spread them out as much as possible. The medication I take for pain unfortunately costs $570 a month from May through December and I'm allergic to everything else the doctors have tried.
If anyone knows if there is a generic and if so, does it work as well, I would like to know.
You can actually leave them on for up to 18 hours as my own doctor told me and you can even cut them in case you need to use them on different areas or save them like I do because of cost.
I also use a heating pad for back pain but never use heat while you have the patch on or close to the time of putting one on or taking one off.

StephanieAlice 23 Sep 2010

Up to 18 hours? That's awesome! My doctor and pharmacist told me 12 hours on, 12 hours off. I take it the prescribing information changed? I also wear one on my lower back and one on my hip. Really helps me with sciatica, too :) Even the arthritis!

Debilyn2886 10 May 2013

If you see this, and I pray you do, I get in the Medicare Part D gap as well. I suffer with MS and I have so much damage in my back from Degenerate Disc Disease,Osteoarthritis & the list goes on. My pharmacy devastated me when I was told my Part D didn't cover the Lidoderm patches because after several other attempts to ease my pain, they seem to work better then anything. I called Medicare & pleaded my cause. They now pay for them all year round. There is an old saying, " The squeaky wheel gets the grease. " while its my back that needs the grease, I let my voice do the squeaking!! I pray you call your part D provider & squeak LOUD!:)

The Lidoderm patches work well for many people and the advantages it that you can cut up into smaller patches so you can get more use out of one patch. They are expensive so this will make them last longer. You can cover a greater area on your body this way or several areas on your body or use one smalller piece of a patch and make one patch go further. I was told to keep the patch on for 12 hours, not 18 hours. I unfortunately did not have luck with the patch. I like the fact the medication goes directly to the area of pain and does not have the systemic effect of an oral medication. This a great advantage over the oral pains meds. Good luck with the Lidoderm. I wish you great luck with it. Let us know how well it works for you.

Anonymous

Yes lidoderm should be excellent for your back pain but remember it only works on the specific spot so if your having all over back pain you cant walk around with a million of the patches all over your back. You still need to get something for the pain and breakthrough pain do you see a pain management doctor?

christineATU 23 Sep 2010

Your answers always make me smile...

I have MS as well as a bulging L5-S1 disc which causes pretty severe sciatica nerve pain down both sides of my legs, but is much worse on the right. I have been using the Lidoderm patches for more than a year now. I put then up and down the backs of my legs (mostly the right) and typically use 3 but sometimes 4 patches at a time (am really only supposed to use 3... ). Honestly? I don't really know if they do any good or not. I'm almost always in strong to severe pain, and a lot of the time sensation is hard to "tell" with MS. Something that feels hot to you when you touch it may feel ice cold to me. Is just weird. So... I tried an experiment last night. My husband pulled a muscle in his back YEARS ago and every once in a while, he overdoes it working and pulls it again, then he starts having sciatica too (we are QUITE a couple!!). So he was distressed last night, and I said, "try this patch...

eyes on the sky 9 Jan 2011

I also use them on my lower back. I only use them when I am going to riding in a car because they are ery expensive. I have disk degeneration & nerve problems. It seems to help both issues. I do wear mine longer than 1r hours. Keep an eye on your skin to make sure there is no irration. My guess this could be one reason the doctor says 12 hours.

I will give you some advice. Don't think they will come off easier if you get in the shower before removing them. I tried that & the patches came off easy. However I had the glue or medicine not come off. If was white looking gel. I had to take my nails & keep pulling this white gel off my back. Soap would not take it off. I thought I was going to need my husband to help pull the goop off. :) lol

amyr_74 9 Jan 2011

lol!! done the SAME THING in the shower... freaked me out the first time... is just GROSS haha!!

The Lidoderm patches are a great alternative or addition to NSAID/opioid, if your insurance covers them (or you can afford approx $10 per patch). They work great for my surface pain and deeper muscular pain, however it can take about 4 hours for them to fully kick in when it comes to my deep leg muscle pain. It seems to work quite a bit quicker on the back. The twelve hours on/twelve off is also not much of a problem, because I still feel the effects for a few hours after I remove the patch. I am asleep by the time it wears off, and I just start over the next day. Unlike Novocain, it does not completely numb the area, but significantly reduces the intensity of pain, so I still recommend augmenting with an oral medication. I can't take opioid medications, so 800mg IBP and Lidoderm has really saved my life. Good luck.